Which Beach from LA?

queenarmadillo

Mouseketeer
On our visit to LA, I would like to make a day-trip to one of the beaches nearby. Currently the trip is planned without a car, but I can rent one for the day if necessary.

There are just the two of us, no kids. Any suggestions on which beach is best (mainly for general sunbathing / swimming in the sea (do people do that in LA?), although interesting pier or surfers to watch or something might be nice)). I would prefer one that is accessible by public transport, but if one is much better than the others then can just get a car for it.

That's a tough one because there are many nice beaches throughout Southern California. If you're staying near LAX, then I would probably consider Manhattan or Hermosa Beach. Those are some of the more popular places to visit. Where exactly are you staying?

Santa Monica is probably a good bet for you. There is public bus transportation to and from Hollywood area. I found a bunch of info on the Santa Monica dot com!

There also is the train that could take you further south, clear to Oceanside! That could be fun too!:banana:

From Hollywood, both Malibu and Santa Monica are accessible by bus...it is a long slow trip but with a window seat quite interesting as you ride through the Sunset Strip, Beverly Hills, Bel Air, etc. Malibu would be best if you just want to pack a lunch for the day and sunbathe/ relax. Santa Monica would be better if you want to also shop, eat in a restaurant, stay into the night and walk around etc.

There is a tourist booth at the Hollywood & Highland Renaissance Hotel with bus info, maps etc. You can also map out a route at mta.net by putting in your starting address and ending address.

Budget.com in Hollywood might have a good rate for a 24 hour car rental. (rates are better if you book ahead rather than walk-up same-day). You could see Bev Hills etc, drive out to the ocean, head north and drive the coast all the way up to Ventura Beach or even to beautiful (and well-worth the 2 hour drive) Santa Barbara. A sunset ride back to Hollywood would be lovely. Weekday is probably best because the drive is busy on summer weekends. Leave Hollywood around 10:30am and leave Santa Barbara on the return after 7pm (to avoid heavy L.A. traffic on the freeway drive back to Hollywood).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter