• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Where to stay in SD

bambigirl88

Mouseketeer
We are leaving the DL area for 3 days, and taking 1 day to drive to San Diego, one day at SeaWorld, and one day to drive back. I know it doesn't take all day to drive, but we'll stop and go to the beach on the way. :drive:

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a hotel/motel in the Mission Bay area that is close to SeaWorld.

There are 2 adults, 2 kids (6&10). We would prefer to stay somewhere with a free breakfast or close to a Dennys/Ihop kind of eats. Just somewhere clean and quiet; nothing terribly fancy. I've heard the term "Hotel Circle" in the area, but don't know exactly what this means:confused3
A hotel near a beach within walking distance would be a bonus.
Any recommendations??

thanks!

There's a Holiday Inn on Sports Arena Blvd. about a 10 minute drive away. There's a Baker's Square on the premises where kids under 12 used to eat free. The HI also has suites.

We just came back from Hotel Circle, Residence Inn (Marriott). $134 nite. used AAA. free breakfast (the works). heated pool and jacuzzi. very convenient to everything. The hotel had very good direction sheets for the area. If you are
directionally challenged I would reconsider Hotel Circle area. The area can be overwhelming, getting off and on highway to go 3 miles. There are probably other areas to stay closer to the beach.

Hotel Circle is just an area with a number of hotels in San Diego. It is inland from Mission Bay (not at the Bay itself). I think that some of the Mission Bay hotels (i.e. the Hyatt Islandia) are available through Priceline. You could check www.biddingfortravel.com to find out which hotels they offer in the area.

Another area to check out that isn't too far away from Mission Bay is Shelter Island. I think the rates at the hotels there aren't bad. I haven't stayed there in over 10 years so it may be a dump now, but we used to sometimes stay at the Shelter Island Inn.

I stayed at the Catamaran last April with my mom and DD and we had a blast.

It is in Mission Beach. Across the street from the actual Mission Beach but has Mission Bay in its backyard. Private beach access.

Sea World is directly behind the Catamaran across the bay. We watched the fireworks each night from the hotel restaurant.

To drive there would be driving just around the edge of the bay so no freeway driving to speak of.

Prices will be cheaper on Hotel Circle but the Catamaran was awesome. I think we booked online at Expedia and had a coastal view, two queen beds, one sofa sleeper and a small kitchen with small full sized fridge and a stove.
Everything we needed was within walking distance.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter