Where to stay in LA/Hollywood?

ckmiles

Mouseketeer
So after 4 days at Disney we are going to stay a few days in LA before heading home. We are going to do the Warner Bros tour, visit Universal, and a guided tour from the Santa Monica pier.

I have reserved a hotel close to the airport because it seems like a good location (actually I didnt know where else to stay) and it was the least expensive for a nice hotel. a 30 minute morning drive to Universal is not something we would mind doing (if its actually 30 minutes)

I dont know anything about the areas in LA and after doing some research about the traffic and such I find it might be better to stay in Hollywood (this will increase my hotel budget $200) - I'm ok with the increase if Im getting more 'bang' for my buck so to speak - ie better location, I wont be spending my vacation commuting in traffic, etc.

So, my question - it it worth the extra expense to stay closer to the 'attractions' ? We are not looking for the ambiance of the location of the hotel- we will be out sightseeing, and touring.

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cindy

So after 4 days at Disney we are going to stay a few days in LA before heading home. We are going to do the Warner Bros tour, visit Universal, and a guided tour from the Santa Monica pier.

I have reserved a hotel close to the airport because it seems like a good location (actually I didnt know where else to stay) and it was the least expensive for a nice hotel. a 30 minute morning drive to Universal is not something we would mind doing (if its actually 30 minutes)

I dont know anything about the areas in LA and after doing some research about the traffic and such I find it might be better to stay in Hollywood (this will increase my hotel budget $200) - I'm ok with the increase if Im getting more 'bang' for my buck so to speak - ie better location, I wont be spending my vacation commuting in traffic, etc.

So, my question - it it worth the extra expense to stay closer to the 'attractions' ? We are not looking for the ambiance of the location of the hotel- we will be out sightseeing, and touring.

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cindy

Last summer we spent a few days at the Lowes Hollywood. The location is perfect. It is on Hollywood Blvd. We could see the Hollywood sign from our window. We walked to the Chinese Theater, walk of fame, Disney soda shop, wax museum and the Hollywood museum. We had the LA Go card and did a lot of the "touristy" stuff. It was also an easy drive to Universal and Warner Brothers. It is connected to the mall so lots of food choices and shopping. The only problem was we had not prepared my youngest son for the creepy characters on Hollywood Blvd and they freaked him out.

I am also interested to know how bad traffic would be from a bit further away. I just priced the Lowes for our stay and it's $400/night. We were thinking of staying in Redondo beach. Would traffic be that bad getting to all the touristy things in LA?:confused3

We stayed at Loews last year and thought the location was great - going back this September - Loews was too expensive this year as we had bagged a great deal last year.

We have booked an apartment just off Hollywood Bvd called the Rubix for a week (staying in Anaheim for our first week) - I can't tell you what it's like yet - happy to post a review when I get back though.

The location is about a block away from the Loews so you can easily walk to Hollywood and Highland and attractions around and to the Red Metro line (which was great as we don't bother to hire a car) - Universal is one stop away on the Metro and you can get to Warner Brothers on the public bus - stops on Hollywood Bvd. We also got the LA Go Card and have already bought online for this trip.

We were thinking of staying in Redondo beach. Would traffic be that bad getting to all the touristy things in LA?:confused3
Redondo Beach is about 25 miles from Hollywood. DLR is about 30. You'll drive the very busy 110 Fwy to get there. With no traffic at all figure about 40/45 minutes. Depending on the time of day you could easily double that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter