Where to stay: Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge

Where to stay - Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've stayed at both. Overall, I'd give the edge to AKL. To be fair, we don't like using Disney transportation much - except for MK (which involves another transfer to the monorail or boat), it's usually faster and more convenient to drive our own car. And, while we did try the boat to MK from WL, I didn't think it was that great (and didn't feel any faster than a bus ride from other places!

AKL gets the edge for us due to the animals (but, we can sit and watch animals a long time, and enjoyed even going out and trying to see them at night), and I think the larger pool and (to me) better counter service restaurant were additional positives. The staff in general at AKL have always seemed friendlier too, for whatever it's worth. While we like Boma better than Whispering Canyon (in fact, Boma's probably our favorite restaurant on property), we never eat there more than once a trip, so I wouldn't factor that in much (and, we've never eaten at Jiko; Artist Point was good the one time we went).

But, truthfully you won't go wrong with either - I would very happily return to either one!

I must qualify this by saying I have only visited WL, but I never stayed there.

WHen my DGD Was 4 we chose AKL Savannah view and never looked back. That child was mesmerized the entire time we were there. I did not mind the bus ride, but I look at the travel as part of my vacation, sit back and enjoy the ride.

The reason I would suggest this stunning resort is that it offers so much in the resort itself, which acts as a respite from the parks. Your kids are little, as was my DGD< and we were not sure how she woudl react to WDW. It can be loud, overwhelming and overstimulating, leaving some children needing a break. We knew we could vacation in ALK even if it turned out she was afraid of the parks.

WIth this in mind, all kids and families are different, so choose the resort and resort theme you like. These are not inexpensive choices, so you want to be happy where you stay.

There is always the worry at AKL that you will have a room assignment towards the end of one of the wings; they don’t call it the Kudu Trail or Zebra Trail for nothing. While this allows for more privacy, it’s hard on the legs of young ones.

I think it depends on how you plan on spending times at the parks. We had this exact same issue because for our trip dates with the discounts, the two rooms were the same price. If you want to spend more time at MK and plan to take breaks, go with WL. You have the boat right there and a 5 minute bus ride if you choose. The bus ride from AKL to MK is 20 minutes or so. However, the bus ride to AK from AKL is only about 5 minutes. I think it really depends on where you want to spend your time. We ultimately went with AKL because it is just adults and we won't need to come back for a break. Both resorts are beautiful, as others have mentioned I don't think you can beat the food choices at AKL. If I were taking my kids, I think the ability to quickly get back to my resort from MK for a break would outweigh everything else and I would stay at a MK resort. Good luck, you will be happy at either!!

When are the renovations "rumored" to be done??
Rumor is by end of this year majority of the work should be done (or at least that's what I've read). I just saw a story that the new restaurant should be open by end of February. So, fingers crossed!

I too have stayed at both, but picked WL. The animals are great for a few minutes but we Love the Wilderness Lodge. Something about that music in the lobby, the feel of the same majestic lobby, the fireplace, the grounds, really just everything about WL. WL is big open and airy. Love it. We will probably stay at AKL again with grandkids, but the WL is our fave.

We've stayed at both properties and as many people here have indicated, both are great properties. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at either again. Inasmuch as the animals entertain the children, I did think the WL had a slight advantage when my kids were younger. I'm not sure why, but they liked the property more and l'm sure that the boat ride to the MK helped with that. I also liked the dining choices better for younger kids. (Whispering Canyon is a blast with kids.) I'm not sure if this makes a difference for you, but the main pool does not have zero-entry. There is a separate kiddie pool. That was a bit of an issue with me because my older ones wanted to go in the main pool and my daughter, who was 2 at the time, wanted to go in the kiddie pool. My husband and I had to separate at the pools as a result - even though the kiddie pool was not that far from the main pool.

We like both from a lodging perspective. But the transportation at Wilderness Lodge it what puts it above AKL for us. Not only is there boat transportation to and from MK, you can take a boat over to Ft Wilderness Campground and check out the things they have to offer (Tri-Circle D ranch is fun to walk around and see the draft horses up close. And it's free! :) ). Or you can take a boat over to the Contemporary and enjoy a meal over there. Sometimes we will just go and ride the loop for a nice boat ride!

We stayed at both last year, actually we stayed at five different resorts to find what works best. For us, WL, our reasons, easy access to MK and transit center. Quiet, very peaceful and quiet. Woods, trees, and peace. We liked the pool, not very overcrowded. AK to us, not work it, the drums played well past 10 pm, all we could hear are those drums banging in your eardrums. It was bad. I hated the pool, this might be just us, but the pool was the most crowed, the people eelspecially the kids teenagers were very inconsiderate, throwing balls and hitting people with wet balls and not saying sorry and stafff would not tell them no. Last reason for us, we have a guide dog, at WL she has a place to go outside, AK has none. We also prefer the food at WL. So to us the vote would be WL, we will be there 16 days in May.

Are you spending time at each park or primarily MK? WL is one of my favorites, but I fell in love with AKL last time. Problem is, it's just so out of the way, but some people love that. I'm with you though, the food there is so good. I don't think you can go wrong with either!

We'll be visiting all the parks, but planning to double up days at both Epcot and MK. The proximity to MK, and the convenience of a boat right to the gates is pretty high on our list of reasons to stay at Wilderness. And the more I'm reading, the more it sounds like there will be a reasonable amount of new things available to enjoy by the time we get going.

When are the renovations "rumored" to be done??

From what I've been reading, a good portion should be done by the end of this year. Looks like the new restaurant, the Geyser Point Bar and Grill, will be opening in February. I wish they had a date for the new pool. If the pool is ready by October, I think I'm sold. :)

If you are there long enough, I would split your stay between the two. I have been to both and love both. On our first visit, we split our stay between 3 and planned the days according to where are hotel was. Disney moved our luggage while we where at the parks. It worked out well for us.

We enjoyed our stay at AKL, but it did feel a touch remote. The bus rides to MK and Disney Springs were longer than we were used to, and there was no other modes of transportation to anywhere else. At WL, not only can you boat to MK, but you can also boat to CR and FW. And once you reach CR, you can monorail to Poly and GF. All of these resorts open up more dining options as well.

I love WL, but with the uncertainty of construction at WL and our recent stay at Kidani village with a Savanna view I'd say I've been swayed a bit more toward AKL at this point.

everyone has made good points. These are easily my two favorite Disney Resorts, so go with what works best for your park plan. Enjoy!!!!

Both are great for the reasons listed above, BUT I would give AKL the edge because of the people! The management and staff seem a bit more friendly and those from Africa are always eager to share stories about their home countries. The folks at WL have treated us well, but AKL staff is an extra element to the experience. JMHO

If you are there long enough, I would split your stay between the two. I have been to both and love both. On our first visit, we split our stay between 3 and planned the days according to where are hotel was. Disney moved our luggage while we where at the parks. It worked out well for us.

I LOVE this idea, but don't know if its practical with my daughter so young (the downside of traveling with a toddler is having a billion changes of clothes). My wife prefers just to unpack and have quick access, which would be less likely if we split time. That being said, though, I think we'll definitely consider this for a future stay once the girls are older and more self-sufficient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter