Where to Go in S Cal - family of 4 - March 09?

Jo-Anne

DIS Veteran
We are a family of 4 and our kids are 12 (DD) and 9 (DS). We are thinking about doing our timeshare visit in March 09. Have looked into some family friendly resorts like Welk Villas in Escondido or Grand Pacific Palisades in Carlsbad and some of the Anaheim or Laguna Beach resorts. However, we're so undecided about where is right location to stay or where to fly into - LAX or SAN? We'd fly from Toronto or Buffalo depending on rates and ideally a direct flight. We'll rent a car, but have heard traffic is horrific (although we come from a city of 2 million people so while LA traffic is I'm sure worse, we still have our fair share of sitting on highways here in toronto!). There is a wide range of what everyone would want to see - NHL Hockey game, Disney, relax by Pool, outlet shop, beach walking, kids activities etc. Is there one central place that would have easier access to a wide range of activities than others? Any help appreciated.

It seems like you have two locations in mind first Anaheim- Hockey, Beach, Disney, Pool etc. can all be done here, and then I would think you could switch to the San Diego area.

The thing is that the traffic mixed with a very large area makes for a much larger amount of travel time. Most people don't really grasp how spread out California is until they get here. Los Angeles its self is HUGE!! It can take 1 1/2 hours to reach San Diego from Anaheim and some times it can take over 3 hours.

I think Carlsbad might be a good option for you. There is a great outlet center right in Carlsbad, and nice beaches, and it's only about an hour drive (without traffic) from Disneyland.

Depending on your family's interests, you could go to Legoland, which is right in Carlsbad, the San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld, Knott's Berry Farm, etc.

If you are staying in San Diego County (where Carlsbad and Escondido are), I would recommend just flying into SAN, since LAX will be at least a 2-hour drive. You could also look into Santa Ana and Long Beach airports.

HTH!

We just got back from a trip and stayed at the Welk Resort in Escondido. It was about a 2 hour drive up to Disneyland, traffic wasnt too bad. If I was going to spend more then one day up in Anahiem I would stay up there just to save time and money on gas. The resort was beautiful and had a ton of fun activites and it was a short drive down to the zoo and out to the beach.

I think you need to decide where you are spending the majority of your time. Like a PP said, Cali is pretty spread out if you're not used to it.

If you are planning on more than one day up in Anaheim area, then I would stay in a hotel up there while you do those activities, then come down to Carlsbad area for the SD activities.

The beach in Carlsbad is great, Legoland is there, and there are several places to walk around downtown with good food, too! The Wild Animal Park is about a 30 minute drive. It's about a 45 minute drive to SD (no traffic). It's about an hour 15 minute to Anaheim (no traffic).
Not sure how gas is in Toronto, but in SD we are about $.30 higher than the national average.

In SD there is the Zoo, lots of cool museums, Sea World, the Gas Lamp District, Boat rides around the bay, Point Loma, Sea Port Village, and more.

Basically, it sounds like you'd need a few days in the Orange County area, then a few days down south. That will save you on gas and time. Traffic is gnarly, and I wouldn't want to spend my vacation sitting in it.

I've lived about 10 minutes north of Carlsbad for 24 years, and have been to Disneyland more times than I can count, so let me know if you have any more questions.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter