Where to go, 4 night trip

elizke

<font color=darkorchid><font color=blue>Has feelin
We have decided to plan a trip for this summer to Southern California. We can only go for 4 nights. We do have a medium budget. We have been to Disneyworld. We have a DD12 who loves Harry Potter and rock music, with no interest in princesses or much of anything Disney, and a DS15 who does not enjoy roller coasters but is still heavy into Star Wars and Legos.

So I have two plans in my head, one to go to SanDiego and see the zoo, animal park, Sea World, and maybe Legoland. OR, we could go to Disneyland and see some Hollywood sights and maybe tour a studio.

I just can't decide which would be more fun for the kids. We have only taken the one trip to Disney a few years ago, and this will likely be our only trip to CA. I'd like to get the most out of it, but we do only have 4 nights. So California experts, which would you choose?

I would very much appreciate your help!!

If you are pretty positive that your two kids have no interest in Disneyland, then I would try San Diego. I would do the Safari Park and/or San Diego Zoo and Sea World, maybe go on a harbor cruise here in San Diego and just explore down here. If you want to add some more activities here in San Diego you can explore Children's Pool in La Jolla to see the seals and maybe rent a kayak to see some more wildlife. You can also check out some of the other museums in Balboa Park or check out the Midway Museum downtown. There's a ton to do down here. There is also a waterpark (Knott's Soak City) but it's pretty rundown to be honest and not worth the expense in my opinion. The food/drinks are way more expensive than at Disneyland and it looks like it's seen better days.

I would not, however, waste your time with Legoland because your kids are just too old, even if they do enjoy Legos. The ideal age for Legoland is really 6-9 to be honest. It's really geared toward younger kids.

If you are pretty positive that your two kids have no interest in Disneyland, then I would try San Diego. I would do the Safari Park and/or San Diego Zoo and Sea World, maybe go on a harbor cruise here in San Diego and just explore down here. If you want to add some more activities here in San Diego you can explore Children's Pool in La Jolla to see the seals and maybe rent a kayak to see some more wildlife. You can also check out some of the other museums in Balboa Park or check out the Midway Museum downtown. There's a ton to do down here. There is also a waterpark (Knott's Soak City) but it's pretty rundown to be honest and not worth the expense in my opinion. The food/drinks are way more expensive than at Disneyland and it looks like it's seen better days.

I would not, however, waste your time with Legoland because your kids are just too old, even if they do enjoy Legos. The ideal age for Legoland is really 6-9 to be honest. It's really geared toward younger kids.

Thanks so much for the input!

Yes, I was worried about that with Legoland. I sure wish we'd made this trip a few years ago.

San Diego really seems to have plenty to do and we will probably end up there. But I am still tempted to go to Universal or Disney and see Hollywood, as I know the fascination is there for the kids to see it.

But as I say, we will probably go for San Diego.

And yeah, we'll skip that water park!

Thanks. :)

I've lived in California all my life and I have no idea why people go to LA (other than to pass thru Hollywood or a studio). San Diego is the picture of what people think of when they are thinking California. The only other place I would recommend is Huntington Beach which is officially Surf City USA.

I've lived in California all my life and I have no idea why people go to LA (other than to pass thru Hollywood or a studio). San Diego is the picture of what people think of when they are thinking California. The only other place I would recommend is Huntington Beach which is officially Surf City USA.

Well it's unanimous! San Diego is sounding good.

elizke, if you have a chance and can do it, the Warner Brothers VIP tour (I'm not sure if the regular offers this) is so neat, it's in Burbank, and you get to go to a 2 story museum with the top floor being nothing but Harry Potter memorabilia!! My daughter is a huge HP fan, and I enjoyed it also!! Fantastic...they even have the flying car that he and Ron were in, in another part of the museum with all kinds of other cars! Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter