Wheelchair Questions

JAM'S MOM

Always Planning Another Getaway to the Fort
Having just completed chemotherapy and radiation, my strength is not totally back which limits my ability to stand in lines and do extensive walking. When walking, I can pace myself and take breaks before I wear out. It's the standing in lines that will wear me out however. Does anyone know if there is a way to avoid the standing in lines without having to get the wheelchair? Also, if I start to wear out half way thru the park, do we have to go back to the entry to get a wheelchair or are there other places to obtain a chair inside the park? Thanks for your answers!

The normal Guest Services response for any mobility or stamina problems is recommend the person use either a wheelchiar or ECV.

The only locations in the park where you can rent wheelchairs or ECVs are at the Stroller Rental shops at each park entrance. Epcot is the only park with more than one shop, one is near the front and the other is at the International Gateway.

Also, rather than trying to get through half the day and then be worn out, use either a wheelchair or ECV full-time in the parks. Note that you may be much better off with an ECV as it give you the independence that a wheelchair does not. And renting from off-site is better.

Another thing to consider is getting a wheelchair or ecv and using it for longer distances or to get between "lands" and then park it in one place while you walk around that "land". That gives you the benefits of both using it and walking.
Many of the lines don't have any place to wait or to sit down while you wait unless you have a wheelchair with you. Some of the shows (like The Hall of Presidents, American Adventure) have some seating in the preshow/waiting area, but it is first come, first serve and there is no guarantee that it will be vacant when you get there.
Many other shows have a preshow or waiting area where you will be standing until the next show - could be as little as 3 minutes or as much as 15. Examples of those types of shows are Little Mermaid, Muppets 3D, Great Movie Ride and really any of the theater type shows.
Some have a long "pathway" to get in that you don't avoid even if the wait is short or you have Fastpass (example of that are the Safari at AK, Soarin' and Bug's Life).

So, it really does make sense to use a wheelchair or ECV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter