What would you do? Aulani

Ok with all of your help I did the one bedroom and changed things a little...

Doing 9 nights at Aulani and then 3 nights somewhere else after...Likely Waikiki but also looking at North Shore...leaning towards Waikiki since we would have just spent 9 nights in a laid back setting at Aulani...

I am thinking the Moana Surfrider since I know someone who was there and speaks highly about it...

So I guess two questions...Waikiki over North Shore for the last three nights? Then which hotel if that is the case...Thanks in advance for any help

I have twice done a split stay with our first time on the north shore and second on the east side in Waimanalo. (VRBO rentals not hotels) We loved both, but really loved Waimanalo and Kailua. The beaches are the most beautiful on the island. If you want the busy and action of Waikiki, that might be a good option for you but I personally avoid Waikiki like the plague. Too busy and crowded to relax and I can shop at home. When people say I don't like Oahu, what they really mean is I don't like Waikiki. We have done 4 nights VRBO and 7 nights Aulani. Totally different vibes on each side of the island. Waimanalo is close to diamond head and Kualoa Ranch, so do those before arriving to Aulani. Traffic in Honolulu truly is dreadful so try to not have to drive through many times. Did I miss what time of year you are thinking? Northshore in winter is amazing to look at but unsafe to swim generally.

We have been to Aulani twice. The first time our kids were 4 and 7 and we stayed in a 1 bedroom for 6 nights, then went to the Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki. Amazing hotel, but the room felt so small after Aulani and the kids just wanted to go back to Aulani. The hotel is beautiful, but we didn't love being located right next to the same stores and restaurants we see at home. From what I have seen, I would choose North Shore over Waikiki.

The 2nd time the kids were 6 and 8 and we stayed in a 1 bedroom for 5 nights, studio for 4 nights. The studio felt so small after the 1 bedroom. We really missed the kitchen, washer and dryer, and being able to watch tv or hang out once the kids are in bed. We would go for a shorter trip in the future, rather than be in a studio. When we go to Disney Parks, we are good with a place to crash, but at Aulani, we love sleeping in, cooking, drinking coffee on the balcony, etc. The studio really changed how the trip felt for us.

Hope it is a great trip!

North Shore is an amazing family destination in the summer. The beaches are very swimmable because there isnt the crazy high surf of the winter and the whole area has a very laid back beachy feel. VRBO has some great offerings for condos in and around the Turtle Bay Resort area. Here are a couple for example, I just plugged in 3 random nights in August

https://www.vrbo.com/721269
https://www.vrbo.com/923383

Waikiki is pretty busy but it can be fun in a kitschy way. There is lots to do, lots and lots and lots of people, but it can be fun. When my hubby and I were in our twenties before we had out kids we LOVED it. The kids are now older teens and they LOVE it and we dont have a great time there. I guess we see it through old people googles LOL. The Moana Surfrider is one of the nicest hotels you can stay at in Waikiki in a great location but I strongly caution you because it is an amalgamation of an older hotel and some of the historic rooms only have one double bed. The rooms are very very tiny. Take a look here http://www.moana-surfrider.com/roomsandsuites/roomtypes/?product_id= So if space at Aulani was what made you choose the one bedroom you are going to have to make sure you get a room big enough here and that can be very pricey. Waikiki is one of those places that at least you can say you have been to so it might be worthwhile to experience it and see for yourself if it is to your liking. Parking is really expensive and traffic in and out is insane. I live in Toronto and I would say it is comparable to our traffic.

If you decide you are doing Waikiki, consider doing it first and then do your Aulani stay. As pamelj says in the above post, you will find your self wishing you were back at Aulani.

I have to say that Turtle Bay resort looks amazing...Maybe we do that after Aulani...Decisions...Decisions...At least one has been made...one bedroom room at Aiulani

Going in August for that person who asked about time of year...

Turtle bay is a great location. Very close to the Polynesian Cultural Center if that is on your to do list. We didn't stay at the resort but near it, across from the pipeline. It is almost exactly on the other side of island from Aulani so a great option for exploring the north and east side. (For such a small island it can be long drives from Aulani) I also agree that you should end your trip at Aulani as it was the place we could relax and just lay by the pool or lagoon. So fun. We have gone the last two Febs but are doing a ski trip this year, and I am so missing going to Aulani.

We liked the vast differences between Ko Olina and Waikiki, so I say stay in Waikiki for your other 3 nights. I'd also recommend doing it first, so you can relax after that part of your trip. As I mentioned before, you'll still be adjusting to the time difference in the beginning of your trip and Waikiki just seemed to be more alive during those early mornings. Plus we got some of our Waikiki area excursions in - Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, Hanuama Bay, etc. That meant once we got to Aulani, we could focus on relaxing, the North Shore, etc.

We stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott and enjoyed it. Room was large with an awesome balcony, and it was in a good location on the strip. The pool was small and it was across the street from the beach, but we weren't interested in pool/beach time while in Waikiki. It was a great spot for walking to other restaurants and hotels, and there was even a Wolfgang Puck Express directly across the street in the Aston hotel where we had some quick and inexpensive meals. We booked two guided tours during our stay there, and they had a convenient "tour lobby" where we met our tour guides.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback...I finalized the dates/trip...First three nights at the Outrigger Reef followed by 9 at Aulani in a one bedroom (Island Garden)...Appreciate everyone's input...I have lot of questions still but part 1 I think has been figured out...

I like the Outrigger Reef. I mean, I haven't stayed there, but I like the location. (I'm a tour guide so occasionally pick up there and I've also eaten at one of their restaurants :smooth: ) You'll be very close to Ft Derussy museum, which is by donation only so if you end up with a little spare time, that could be good. Also, the steak shack just by the beach there is very good. If you want slightly cheaper drinks, the Hale Koa is just a short walk (past Ft Derussy) and they have better prices on their drinks. If you happen to be there on a Friday, you should have a good place to view fireworks, too.

Enjoy!

I'm planning my first trip to Aulani, so obviously far from an expert. However, most of the posts I've read suggest doing your non-Aulani part of the trip FIRST, and ENDING with Aulani. The general thinking is that anything after Aulani would be a "step down". YMMV~

Outrigger Reef is a great location, easy to walk to everything. Tons of restaurants in the area. In fact, there's a restaurant called the Shore Bird at that resort (or very close) that we were hoping to get to while in Waikiki but never made it. Looked and sounded like a delicious casual lunch stop. We also had our very first dinner in Hawaii next door at Duke's at the Outrigger. If you want to eat in the dining room, you can make a reservation. The casual outdoor patio is first come first served. Really casual, nice atmosphere. Enjoy!

I know you made your decision but we went to Aulani in 2015 and were in a studio. We eat breakfast in the room, lunch either out and about or down by pool and dinner wherever we are at the time. I did NOT want to have to cook on vacation or do laundry and since we were mostly in bathing suits/coverups there was not a lot. We went back last summer as well and chose another studio and going back this summer as well. Our friends had a 1 bedroom last time and it was nice and we ate dinner there one night but for me I would rather be in Hawaii longer. This summer we are doing the same kind of things as you. 10 nights at Aulani and then 3 in Maui. (haven't quite decided where yet) We also only had 1 child with us. You will love it no matter what. Coming from the person that would never go to Hawaii. We live in Florida and have beautiful beaches, Disney etc. Why would I want to travel all that way? Once you go, you will understand. My daughter and I had tears leaving the resort the first trip.

I would say waikiki for the 3 days. Your eleven year old will eat it with a spoon. Turtle Bay is great but more of the same and you will be able to do a day or two at the north shore from aulani and you should. Waikiki at night is a dream. The kids can get boogie boards and you can soak up the Hawaiian experience. Its HOT HOT sun though so be careful. I would stay at the Royal Hawaiian for theme and location but the Hilton Village would be my second choice. A little further afield but it has its own lagoon. The surfrider is beautiful and central but a block back from the beach.

I say stay in Waikiki for the 3 nights. This is what we usually do before going to Aulani. We usually can get a nice condo in Waikiki for less than $200.00 per night including parking through VRBO. Waikiki is fun and walkable. We like the excitement and people watching at Waikiki. It is also a great spot to go up the east side of the island and if you do this in the am you are going the opposite way of the traffic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter