What to do with children and motion sickness

Joana

Earning My Ears
Hey Cruise-a-holics:

I am bringing my three kids to the magic on April 9th to Eastern Caribbean. I was wondering what happens when a kid is extremely sick because of the movement. I have taken the shot in the ship before but do they offer it to kids too????

HELP
:scared1:

I would talk to your family doctor..I was concerned about that for myself....she gave me a patch that went behind my ear and I didn't have any problems.

Childrens Bonine. Works great, no side effects.

Was super worried as my kids get car sick.

Took the bonine (start night before) and they were all fine. Stopped taking it after first full day with no problems for any of them.

Now they did need it for long drive home:rolleyes1 after our week long cruise on DCL!

Thanks for the ideas. I am in Canada so Bonine is not available here but I will be there a few days before so I can buy it... is it over the counter? I hope so. Also, how old where your kids, becuase my wee one is going to be 2 years 9 months when we travel, the other two are 4 and 6. I don't know anything about the eastern carribean... is it rough ???

Thanks a bunch !@
:hippie:

It is over the counter in any drug store, Target/Walmart, and even in some grocery stores. You shouldn't have any problems getting it, if you have transportation before your cruise.

Beware on the patch - it's too strong for some folks. Try the adult Bonine/dramamine/mecklazine options first. I had some pretty harsh side effects from my patch on 2.0 and the RN in the infirmary had me remove it. It took me several days to really get back to normal.

Nancy, do they sell something like this on board in case I'll need it? I don't think I will, but have never cruised before.

Jazz hands! ;)

Nikki, I believe they did sell that on board. The only reason that I got the patch from my doctor, is because I know that I have motion sickness....I can't sit in the back seat of a car...the patch worked like a dream for me...no side effects...no problem. Everyone is different...and there are many products that can help.

I believe they have seasickness medications for free outside the clinic.

OP,
Why don't you just check with your childrens doctor? I am sure he would know what is safe for them and available in Canada. I would rather come with meds in hand then have to run to a walmart!

Thanks for the ideas. I am in Canada so Bonine is not available here but I will be there a few days before so I can buy it... is it over the counter? I hope so. Also, how old where your kids, becuase my wee one is going to be 2 years 9 months when we travel, the other two are 4 and 6. I don't know anything about the eastern carribean... is it rough ???

Thanks a bunch !@
:hippie:

Are you sure your kids will even have any trouble? I ask this because in our case, my wife is prone to sea sickness, but my son after the first day isn't. In fact, the first night we went to dinner and my son told me he felt like he may hurl. Initially, I thought he was sick. When we went to the rest room, I found out he felt dizzy. About 2 mins later another parent showed up with the same sort of thing. We both laughed and said everyone was feeling a little dizzy the first night. He didn't need to take anything and once he had some food in him and was in the kid's club he was fine. THAT SAID, I do know of a child on the same cruise that had a time with it. She spent a good time in her room.

My wife took Bomine (they will give it to you on the ship if you ask) and when we got to dinner, they offer ginerale. SHE SWEARS BY THE GINGERALE. I didn't get it but others swear by it too and as long as she is happy, I'm happy. I think you will probably be ok with the kids unless you have seen an issue before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter