what movies for young ones before we go

pixxi

Mouseketeer
My younger kids don't know a lot about Disney characters, so when we reference story plots they don't understand. Based on what characters are at Disney now-what movies/stories should we review? This is for a 6 and 11 yr old. They have seen the recent movies Moana, Tangled, Toy story....

We just watched Mulan and they younger ones "get" her character now!

Yeah, definitely Frozen if they haven't seen that. I'd also go for Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Winnie The Pooh (my DD doesn't like any of the shows but enjoys the books and loves the Pooh characters). Big Hero 6 and Inside Out if those are of interest. Maybe the classic princesses if they don't know their stories Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty. LILO and Stitch, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, Finding Dory. I'm sure there are some more good ones.

Mulan has always been an underrated "princess," I think. BJ7644's list is a good one, and also Star Wars and Disney Jr if they have any interest and you feel they're mature enough for Star Wars - there's a bunch of stuff at HS for kid who like Disney Jr and Star Wars (our 5 yo has only read the Lego Star Wars books, lol, and been told the stories from the movies, and she still loves Star Tours, so don't feel like you need to indoctrinate your kids to watching every disney movie in order to enjoy WDW)

Interesting! I was going to talk about how I "prep" son for WDW on my PTR, including what movies to show him.

My picks are based on how much that film is going to be "exposed" at the parks. So far, they are:

- Finding Nemo (2 rides and 1 major show at Epcot)
- Little Mermaid (1 ride at MK, 1 meet and greet at MK, 1 ride at HS)
- The Lion King (because I feel AK takes a lot of elements from Lion King, not just for the Festival of the Lion King show)
- Jungle Book (same as above)
- Toy Story (1 ride at MK, 1 meet and greet and 1 ride at HS)
- Frozen
- Winnie the Pooh (1 ride and several meet and greet op)
- Cinderella (the castle IS Cinderella's after all ;))
- Peter Pan (because one of the best ride at MK is based on this film)
- Beauty and the Beast

I've also been showing him a bunch of Chip & Dale, Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse classic short cartoons - not the new ones, not the Disney Jr ones. There's a bunch of them on Youtube. Of course he's free to watch whatever Disney films he likes, but I steer him towards the ones I mentioned above.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Don't forget Dumbo, any of the House of Mouse shows, the Three Caballeros for the Mexico ride, Aristocats, Pinocchio.

I'd even watch Mickey's detective carton with Goofy and Donald that has them go to a haunted house if your kids are too young for the Haunted House movie.

Phineas and Ferb

Maybe the Land before time or the Good Dinosaur for the Dinosaur USA area in Animal Kingdom as well as the Ellen and Bill Nye ride in Epcot

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter