What if I hate the value resort

momto2js

DIS Veteran
I have a room only rate booked at the all-star sports, because #1 it wasn't overly expensive, and #2 my kid will like it. What if we get there and after the first day, I decide I really can't do the on site value thing?? I know that if you cancel within 5 days, you pay the first night, what if you stay the first night and then decide that you really need a smaller resort? Do you have to pay for the rest of the stay? What is the penalty to leave early?

Would you be willing to leave for a moderate or deluxe hotel?

I always wondered if upsell were possible in this case (upon availability of course)

I feel like you are going into it knowing you're going to dislike it. Personally I don't think you should ever spend your hard earned money on hotel you are not excited to stay in (even if you are just doing it for the kids). You'd be better spending more, and truly looking forward to it. (Just my opinion and how I look at things)

If you find that you must transfer to an offsite resort, you shouldn't be charged for the remainder of the days. Last month we had to cut our vacation short by one day (last minute work decision that was made while I was on vacation! :sad2:) so I went and explained the situation to the front desk staff at BLT. They told me that in order to not be charged for Sunday, we would all have to present to check out that morning. We were and I was refunded the cost of our 2 bedroom villa for that night.

I know people upgrade but I'm not sure I'd expect a refund after the start of your trip. With a room only booking the balance is due at check in so you pay for the entire time up front. I imagine if there is a good reason for leaving like an illness or emergency they are likely to refund the cost of the unused days, but checking out to check into an offsite hotel I wouldn't expect it. They might but I just wouldn't count on it.

I think it will be OK, but it all depends on neighbors. I am afraid of loud and crowded. I have had these fears about other places, and they everything has been fine, but there is a real possibility that we just may not be onsite people.

I think it will be OK, but it all depends on neighbors. I am afraid of loud and crowded. I have had these fears about other places, and they everything has been fine, but there is a real possibility that we just may not be onsite people.

Ask for a room on the back side of the building. I've had that a few times at different values, and each room has been very quiet.

I wouldn't be too sure they would refund your money because you decided to go off site. Moving to another Disney resort is very different from deciding to go off site.

Or maybe not hotel people. You can have noisy neighbors at any hotel, and my personal experience has been that adults are worse than kids, and the more the room costs, the louder they get. Some people prefer vacation homes to hotels, for the privacy and quiet. At Disney, my worst noise issues occurred on two separate deluxe stays - with drunk adults yelling up and down the hallways in the wee hours of the morning.

I stayed at Pop Century for eleven nights last month, and other than the muffled sound of a toilet flushing every once in a while, it was very quiet. I did request (and received) top floor, which I feel makes a difference. I also travel with a white noise app on my phone because I tend to be a light sleeper. I had breakfast items in the room I could eat while getting ready, which kept me out of the food court in the morning rush, and most nights was either eating in the parks or later than the evening rush.

I would make a request for a quiet room on the top floor.

I would request top floor and far from the pool lol I've never had a problem with noise at a Disney hotel. But I do live in an apartment building in NYC so if it's dead silent I get paranoid.

I've had to leave a Disney resort before my check out date in the past and was not charged.

I highly doubt you will need to leave because you wil not find the place confortable, ask for a quiet room, and unless you're planning to spend all day at the hotel, every day, you will be fine, when at Disney mostly you will be at the parks. Also All stars sports is not a huge resort, I stayed at Hoops building facing the parking lot and it was close to the main building and very quiet. Ask at front desk for a room that meets your needs and while there is not guarantee they will try, especially if you check in early morning. Have a great trip!
PS
there is nothing like being at the :smickey:Disney "Bubble"

We stayed ground floor one row away from the pool at an All Star in mid-June of last year. I can honestly say I never heard anything when we were in the room. No pool noise, and I've heard more slamming door sounds at other hotels around the country.

I feel like you are going into it knowing you're going to dislike it. Personally I don't think you should ever spend your hard earned money on hotel you are not excited to stay in (even if you are just doing it for the kids). You'd be better spending more, and truly looking forward to it. (Just my opinion and how I look at things)

Agree.

I think I would cancel now and re-book offsite where you are more comfortable in knowing you will enjoy your trip.

Well on-site is much better than off-site as far as I'm concerned. If you get a room that is not up to your expectations you could always go to the front desk (in person) and ask for a remedy. They might be able to relocate you to a better spot at the resort. That's my optimistic opinion. :)

My not-so-optimistic opinion is that All Star Sports is the only WDW resort I would never return to. It seemed like a Motel 6...and I don't stay in those either. But take that with several grains of salt. There are people here who swear by the value resorts and return to them time & time again. If you think your kid will like it, perhaps it's worth a shot?

This maybe getting personal but are these anxiety, possibly overwhelming, issues of being in a large building with others? If so I would just do offsite. As others have posted it almost sounds like you are trying to maybe talk yourself out of it.

Oh and as you can see from my sig we are offsite people so far but it was cost and normal what you get offsite versus onsite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!