What "best kept secret" do you enjoy at WDW?

Carolina26

Earning My Ears
First, THANK YOU disboards for adding this forum!!! :-) I'm looking forward to sharing resources and possibly meeting up with folks at some point. We met another single parent and child on a recent trip and it was so fun for both the adults and kids!

Anyway, we're heading back a few more times this year (longer trips in Aug & Dec) and I'm always looking for new things to do. One of our absolute favorite things is Chip n Dale's campfire and singalong at Fort Wilderness...I'm not sure how I first learned about it, but it feels like one of WDW's best kept secrets! We last attended during Christmas time, and all the camper's decorations are a sight to behold! But the campfire and singalong, followed by the movie under the stars was just so fun (and FREE, except for the smores kit, which folks end up sharing anyway)! What's your favorite "best kept secret?"

Aww I wish I had some to share, but I haven't been to WDW since 2002. Now that I have DS (1), I'm looking forward to spending time at WDW.

I'm following to hear everyone's "secrets". The Chip n Dale Campfire sounds like fun. :)

On our last trip, we really enjoyed the "Behind the Seeds" tour at Epcot. Touring the greenhouse and seeing all of the interesting techniques for growing and managing food sources was educational and fun! And, for less that $20 per person, it was a bargain too!

Hi all. Single Dad here to a DS (12). I decided to avoid the "why am I a single parent" thread for fear I might start getting angry at my computer. I however love that there is a single parent forum now.

As for my best kept secret... I don't know how many secrets there actually are anymore but I will share the things that we enjoyed the most.

I would strongly recommend the MK Family Magic Tour for anyone with younger kids. It was a fun 'tour' that played to both the kids and the adults. Just skipping in a group through MK in the morning is just a great experience. Plus, there is a nice "surprise" meet and greet at the end.

Additionally, I would also say that going on the Pirate and Pal cruise out of the Contemporary was a great experience that we'll be doing again on Aug 25th (in case anyone wants to join us). Capt. Hook is my personal favorite so getting the meet and greet with him and Smee (and then another special guest at the end) was a major highlight. You get a decent dessert buffet and then a great cruise to watch the fireworks where your own pirate tells stories and sings songs... and gives out prizes! Back in 2013 me and DS were on the cruise and the pirate was asking families where they were from. One family said England. For some reason that I cannot explain, I decided to yell out "God Save the Queen". That was enough for my DS to win the first prize of the night. Great experience.

Ok... I'll keep going. Make sure you know exactly where the cameras are on the rides. Some of our best pictures are playing to the cameras.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109916017357866168929/albums/6173341231380036481

Hi all. Single Dad here to a DS (12). I decided to avoid the "why am I a single parent" thread for fear I might start getting angry at my computer. I however love that there is a single parent forum now.

I can definitely relate. LOL

Me too. Love this single parents' forum.

I'm planning on doing the Family Magic Tour next April with my son who will have just turned 5. I've done the one that similar to it at Disneyland before with my younger siblings and it was a lot of fun.

I don't think it's a secret really but on our last trip I discovered the free lockers to put your stuff in for when you ride Kali River Rapids, I believe they are free for the first 2 hours or so. And they are right by a water play area that my son loved - I had to drag him to the ride he was having so much fun.

One of the things my DD13 likes to do in EPCOTs World Showcase is the Phineas & Ferb Mr.Ps Adventure(?)...they get missions all around World Showcase just by stopping at one of the kiosks. My daughter loved making the beer steins in Germany sing and really felt like an agent following all their clues! Plus...it's a fun way for kids to tour World Showcase.

We used to love the photo ops that are included with some of the character meals. A nice professional photo is a great remembrance of your trip!

With that in mind, I have always taken DD13s pic at a particular fountain in the Magic Kingdom...she loves seeing how much she has grown through the years.

While not free...I think you can still get the pixie dust sparkles at the Main Street Barber Shop for much less than BBB.

Free ice water is available at any counter service upon request (not in a bottle)...as water drinkers, we like this one!

I think they still do the passport in World Showcase too...free crafts!

We just did the passports this past May--I had 5 girls with me, ages 13 down to 8, and they all loved it. They are about $10 each, and they've been this price for years.

We just did the passports this past May--I had 5 girls with me, ages 13 down to 8, and they all loved it. They are about $10 each, and they've been this price for years.

I just googled "the passports", so I didn't have to ask; but, DLR annual passports came up. I know that's not $10 (LOL), so I'm back to having to ask, sorry. What are "the passports"?

You can buy them at many of the gift shops at Epcot--they look like passports, and they come with an Epcot button and stickers. You take them to each of the Kidcot spots in World Showcase and the CM will write something in that country's native language on a page. They'll date it and stamp it, and there are enough pages for all of the countries. I save the stickers that come in the pack for later--each country has a set of stickers, and you apply them to the page where you have that stamp. It makes for a good activity later in the hotel room.

ETA--I found a website with a photo of the passports: http://www.couponingtodisney.com/world-showcase-passports-epcot/

Last edited:
You can buy them at many of the gift shops at Epcot--they look like passports, and they come with an Epcot button and stickers. You take them to each of the Kidcot spots in World Showcase and the CM will write something in that country's native language on a page. They'll date it and stamp it, and there are enough pages for all of the countries. I save the stickers that come in the pack for later--each country has a set of stickers, and you apply them to the page where you have that stamp. It makes for a good activity later in the hotel room.

ETA--I found a website with a photo of the passports: http://www.couponingtodisney.com/world-showcase-passports-epcot/

Cool! Thanks :)

Pixie dusting at the barber shop is always my girls favorite. Just walk right in and ask. Free!

Also free ice water on hot days for a single parent on a budget is always nice. Just go to anywhere they sell fountain (not bottled) drinks and ask for ice water. You will get a full size cup of ice water with straw and lid.

It's hard to believe and this isn't even a "secret" but if you haven't seen welcome show at magic kingdom you haven't lived. Lol

This is more of a tip than a secret but never wait on Main Street for the parade, you will get much better seating and often in shade if you find a spot near Liberty square. Not to mention the parade comes out from that area so you will actually see the 3 o clock parade at 3 o clock ;)

Pixie dusting at the barber shop is always my girls favorite. Just walk right in and ask. Free!

Also free ice water on hot days for a single parent on a budget is always nice. Just go to anywhere they sell fountain (not bottled) drinks and ask for ice water. You will get a full size cup of ice water with straw and lid.

It's hard to believe and this isn't even a "secret" but if you haven't seen welcome show at magic kingdom you haven't lived. Lol

This is more of a tip than a secret but never wait on Main Street for the parade, you will get much better seating and often in shade if you find a spot near Liberty square. Not to mention the parade comes out from that area so you will actually see the 3 o clock parade at 3 o clock ;)

What's "pixie dusting at the barber shop"?

Sorry I should have probably explained :P

Basically you get your hair sprinkled with glitter. My daughters hair sparkled all day.

By the way the bibidi bobidi boutique also does it but they are usually busier. Also I found the pixie dust at the barber shop was a bit bigger and not so "dusty" which is just my personal preference.

If you go on a cruise, I love that you can get Mickey Bars delivered from room service, no charge, any time of day... it's not on the menu. Big family favorite!

Cool! Thanks :)

They also do something similar during the food and wine festival for anyone to get it stamped everywhere they got food. I forget if there is a contest or anything related to getting them fully stamped but I want to say there is a special pin or similar you can get for returning to guest services with it completed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!