"We'll need a suitcase just for your ears!" - A July 2015 PTR *Complete*

I'm at 39 days from our trip and glad I found you PTR. I have 2 boys the same ages too! I'm not as bold with the paints and did the custom vinyls from magic your band. It was initially a little weird but I managed. I'll post them when I get our bands. I ordered some buttons too from Parkbound - LOVE the Anger Standby Line one.

I've added Hot Topic to my shopping list for my day off Wednesday! I always forget about that store.

Your MB's are amazing but I have no painting skills or more accurately no patience.

image.jpg
I didn't like my first HM band so I redesigned w a lighter image and a little closer up. My son wanted his dog on his!!!

Omg can you make me a LGMH and mail it to me? Because mine will probably end up being a really sad lopsided thing cut out of construction paper that in no way resembles Mickey. In fact, it'll probably end up looking evil or obscene and I'll get kicked out of the parks.......my crafty side is nonexistent!
Love the PP sunglasses! Think I'll have to hit Hot Topic after DS's orthodontist appt. tomorrow :goodvibes I recently bought the Villains Vans and I'm wearing them around the house, trying to break them in. Unfortunately they aren't as comfortable as I'd hoped :scared: I'm not giving up yet though!

That's the reason I didn't freehand cut my Mickey, LOL. I would have had to make it the size of a soccer ball, and even then, by the time I trimmed it to even it out, it probably would have ended up the size of a tic tac. I can't cut nicely to save my life! I use my silhouette machine to cut everything.

I like the Villains Vans! I was so afraid they wouldn't be comfortable for long term wear...Boo! I haven't bought any yet for that reason. It makes me nervous. They look good though!! I hope they become more comfy soon!!
I always feel just slightly uncomfortable in the Hot Topic, like they're going to notice that I'm not young or cool enough to be in there and kick me out, LOL!! I could have spent so much money in there!! There's a tank top with the house and balloons from Up that I *almost* got, but limited myself to sunglasses. They have a Peter Pan hair bow too, it's so cute!

Your MB's are amazing but I have no painting skills or more accurately no patience.

View attachment 106358
I didn't like my first HM band so I redesigned w a lighter image and a little closer up. My son wanted his dog on his!!!

I love the HM wallpaper ones! I was considering getting that one right up until the last day I could still customize my bands before shipping. Your son had a great idea to put his dog on there! Maybe THAT'S what I should have done with mine. A sneaky way to bring my babydog to Disney World!! My youngest would FLIP over the Doctor Who vinyl! Yesterday in Hot Topic he found the Who section and every few seconds I'd hear, "*gasp* MOM!"...I'd come over, he'd show me something, I'd walk back to the Disney stuff then, "*gasp*MOM!" It was funny!
The Disney stuff there is so much fun!! Shirts, dresses, hair bows, jewelry, bags...*sigh* I love it all.

Oh, the new Parkbound buttons! They're great. My oldest loves the Fear one, I laughed so hard at the Anger one, and I really feel like everyone in my family needs the Walking makes me Sad button. I will stealthily pin it to their backs so everyone in the parks knows, LOL!!!

I always feel just slightly uncomfortable in the Hot Topic, like they're going to notice that I'm not young or cool enough to be in there and kick me out, LOL!! I could have spent so much money in there!! There's a tank top with the house and balloons from Up that I *almost* got, but limited myself to sunglasses. They have a Peter Pan hair bow too, it's so cute!

LOL me too!! I bought a couple Disney dresses online but they were the wrong size (FYI.....Hot Topic dresses seem to run a tad small :rolleyes1) so I went into the store and had to ask for bigger sizes since they were hanging behind the counter-always fun when you need a bigger size, right? Especially in a store that caters to younger people! So I'm waiting for the salesgirl, thinking I'm cool b/c I'm actually singing along to an old Jane's Addiction song that's playing in there, when I notice I'm still wearing my fairly big elementary school PTA badge on my shirt......then I felt like an old dork! Ripped that sucker off and when she turned around I started looking at the Supernatural phone cases on the counter (I do love Supernatural) and I was like "these are so awesome!" We started talking about the show so....maybe she thought I was cool? Cooler than her mom at least lol?
I've seen that "Up" tank top :) I have a few like it that I wore last summer and I think I'll end up wearing one or two to Universal this year, unless I find a decent HP one.

LOL me too!! I bought a couple Disney dresses online but they were the wrong size (FYI.....Hot Topic dresses seem to run a tad small :rolleyes1) so I went into the store and had to ask for bigger sizes since they were hanging behind the counter-always fun when you need a bigger size, right? Especially in a store that caters to younger people! So I'm waiting for the salesgirl, thinking I'm cool b/c I'm actually singing along to an old Jane's Addiction song that's playing in there, when I notice I'm still wearing my fairly big elementary school PTA badge on my shirt......then I felt like an old dork! Ripped that sucker off and when she turned around I started looking at the Supernatural phone cases on the counter (I do love Supernatural) and I was like "these are so awesome!" We started talking about the show so....maybe she thought I was cool? Cooler than her mom at least lol?
I've seen that "Up" tank top :) I have a few like it that I wore last summer and I think I'll end up wearing one or two to Universal this year, unless I find a decent HP one.

I feel like Hot Topic is more approachable for the 'uncool' or rather, normal!, people than in years past LOL. Especially since they carry a lot of fandom merchandise for Disney, Adventure Time, Supernatural, and Doctor Who. I love their stuff but some of it is way overpriced so unless I absolutely love something, I usually leave empty-handed.

I like your green head! I'm horrible with those types of crafts lol.

Hey, there's a reason I didn't cut those by hand! Any artistic talent I have still has its limits, LOL!!

This made me laugh!! I cannot tell you how many times I leave my PTA or school check in stickers on my shirt when I'm outside of the school building. The girl working there yesterday, with her blue hair and piercings, did not make me feel *too* weird, even while I was rocking my Odyssey of the Mind team shirt. She was having fun with us and helping us search through the buttons for Disney stuff and asking about our trip.

Also, I LOVE Supernatural. I am a few seasons behind though...I have the older ones on DVD, then we tried to go without satellite for awhile so I watched on Netflix, then when the new seasons started I was behind again...ugh. I've loved Jensen Ackles since he was on Days of Our Lives and Jared Padalecki since Gilmore Girls. I used to think Supernatural was made just for me, LOL!! It didn't hurt that Jeffrey Dean Morgan was their dad, either!!

I feel like Hot Topic is more approachable for the 'uncool' or rather, normal!, people than in years past LOL. Especially since they carry a lot of fandom merchandise for Disney, Adventure Time, Supernatural, and Doctor Who. I love their stuff but some of it is way overpriced so unless I absolutely love something, I usually leave empty-handed.

I agree on that point! Fandom merch does make the store more approachable. When I was in high school it was a little edgier. Thank heaven for Harry Potter!

We are one week from our trip!!!!!

I can't pretend I don't have to pack anymore, can I?? Bleh.

Chapter Seventeen...in which we're almost there

The kids and I are going for our last grocery trip before vacation today, and we'll try to remember to pick up all of our last minute things. The list is actually pretty short. Looks like I picked up more odds and ends over the last month or so that I thought. Go me.

I hope everyone had a great Independence Day week/weekend!

The in-laws came to visit, and I always get so stressed out because, as I mentioned in an earlier update, you just never know if it's going to go well or not.

Luckily it went well!!

I didn't take many pictures, but L says "happy 4th!"

We had great weather on the 3rd and 4th. We were able to have a fire in the firepit on Friday, then on Saturday...well, that firepit is now full of used fireworks and we need to empty it out. That was supposed to be the job for yesterday, but we were so tired we really didn't do much of anything other than some very serious couch sitting.

I wasn't getting up to do anything for anybody.

Well, I did get up a FEW times. In fact, I had this very weird Investigation Discovery moment that left me shaking.

I went out to check my plants in the front of the house, deadhead my hanging basket and check the knockout roses and hydrangea I'd put in a few weeks ago. I had just hung the basket back up and was pulling off some dead blooms around the bottom when I just got this weird feeling. I turned around and this guy was just STANDING there, right by my hedge line on the sidewalk. I did the whole stereotypical gasp, hands to chest, big eyed reaction. I realized it was the guy who lived next door with his mom, and then came the whole nervous laughter, "Oh, you scared me!" bit. He just stood there and deadpanned, "hi."

I said, "Hi, how are you?" and he interrupted in that weird deadpan, "I'm Steven." (i know this, I've met him before). I said, "hi again, Steven", which was again interrupted by, "i'm your neighbor." I said, "oh, yeah? Right over there, right?" and pointed to his house. He just stood there, and I stepped forward to shake his hand and asked if they'd had a nice holiday, and he says, "we're thinking of making our own holiday and going to Canada. We're going to that country."

My skin was broken out in goosebumps, my heart was pounding this whole time, I had started sweating...it was total fight or flight mode. My body was screaming at me to get away, so I said, "Oh, that sounds nice! I hope you have a safe trip! I need to get in now and see what my kids are up to. Have a good night!" and went inside. And locked the door.

I know it sounds like a harmless exchange, but it rattled me. I can't even describe it properly.

DH saw my face and that my hands were shaking like crazy, and was like, "oh my gosh, what's wrong with you?" and I told him. We've never had any issues with him or anything, but our dogs HATE when he is in their backyard. He is the only person they bark at, and they don't bark normally, it's like snarling and growling and just horrible. So we've always made jokes about it between ourselves that's he's some serial murderer or something.

After "the encounter", DH pulled up court records out of curiosity, and to make sure there wasn't some issue we didn't know about, and this poor man has been in and out of institutions his whole life, has been committed again and again, most recently this past fall, no prior history of violence toward others.

My uncle has a mental illness, so this is nothing new to me, but I've never had this type of physical fear type reaction to a meeting with another person before.

The next time I see his mother, I plan to make some small talk about how he came over to say hello, laugh a little and make a joke about how he's quiet like a ninja and kind of scared me since I didn't hear him walk up. Say that he'd mentioned a trip to Canada, that sounds nice, etc...just a nice neighborly conversation with enough info thrown in to maybe make her notice if this was out of the ordinary behavior that indicates something is off with his meds?? I'm not going to be like, "hey, your son scared the crap out of me when he snuck up behind me in my yard, so we looked up his court records and know that he has a history of mental illness,self harm and destruction of your property, is this behavior raising red flags?"

I don't know. I'm sorry, this has nothing to do with Disney!! I just sat there last night after we found out his history, and felt so sad for his mother, knowing it must be hard to have your almost 40 year old adult son home with you, and to surely be so worried about him and for him all the time. It must put so much stress on her.

ANYWAY....carrying on...

So we are a week away from vacation and we are very excited!!

We're trying to take it easy this week, because even though we love our Disney vacations, they aren't exactly relaxing!! Lots of go, go, going.

My in-laws are coming back down to stay with our dogs and house sit for us while we're away, and I'm so grateful that they do that!
The weekend will be spent cleaning, last minute shopping, maybe a trip to the art museum for the new Warhol exhibit, and relaxing.

Monday will be spend finishing last minute packing, handing over the keys to MIL, and heading to the airport (which is a whopping 15 minutes away), and making our way home :dogdance::dogdance::dogdance:

When we pull up and see this:

I will be so happy (now, it will be like 11pm, so it won't look EXACTLY like this, lol!!)

I'll be back to chat with you all again soon!!

How exciting! Almost there!
I would have also been freaked out by that encounter.

It really threw me for a loop.

I mean, I just turned around and there was a strange man standing 5 feet away from me not saying anything, just staring. He was blocking the path in front of me, and I felt trapped. The whole thing was just so odd. Normally I would have just brushed it off, but I just had such a strong physical reaction that it still has me nervous and out of sorts.

Anyway, YES! We are super close to travel day! Woohoo!!

It really threw me for a loop.

I mean, I just turned around and there was a strange man standing 5 feet away from me not saying anything, just staring. He was blocking the path in front of me, and I felt trapped. The whole thing was just so odd. Normally I would have just brushed it off, but I just had such a strong physical reaction that it still has me nervous and out of sorts.

Anyway, YES! We are super close to travel day! Woohoo!!

It was at night too right?
Seriously, it sounds like a part of a bad scary movie.

It was at night too right?
Seriously, it sounds like a part of a bad scary movie.

It was like around 745ish, just starting to darken up a bit outside. It felt exactly like something out of a scary movie. Have you seen the movie The Strangers with Liv Tyler? There's a scene when one of the "bad" people show up at the door (before she knows she's dangerous) and the girl says in this flat emotionless voice, "Is Tamara home", and that was how his voice was. I thought to myself, "this is it. this is what you get for watching so many horror movies and so many true crime shows on investigation discovery. You get murdered by your neighbor on your front porch." :rolleyes:

It was like around 745ish, just starting to darken up a bit outside. It felt exactly like something out of a scary movie. Have you seen the movie The Strangers with Liv Tyler? There's a scene when one of the "bad" people show up at the door (before she knows she's dangerous) and the girl says in this flat emotionless voice, "Is Tamara home", and that was how his voice was. I thought to myself, "this is it. this is what you get for watching so many horror movies and so many true crime shows on investigation discovery. You get murdered by your neighbor on your front porch." :rolleyes:

Yes I have seen the Strangers! That is SO CREEPY!

Aloha Cousins!

6 days left.

yep yep.

6 measly little days til we touch down in Florida. A week from now I'll be at Hollywood Studios, Hollywoodin' it up. Meeting stars of stage and screen and scream...ing on Tower of Terror.

There she is. Just look at her. I'm coming home to you, Beautiful. I'm coming home.

Today is Florida weather practice day. It is pouring down rain. Before it was pouring down rain, it was blazing hot and humid. We're under flash flood warnings for the next couple of days.

X also has an appointment at the hospital this afternoon. At his camp physical, the doctor detected a heart murmur. This is a totally new thing. He's never had one before, and since his previous check up was in September, it's come along out of the blue. Our doctor assured us that these murmurs come and go in children (and that he had one himself growing up), but to err on the side of caution, he was ordering an echocardiogram. They weren't in a hurry because it took like three weeks for them to call me and schedule it. I told them we were leaving for vacation next week, so they made the appointment for the earliest available time, which is today.
Hopefully it turns out to be because of a growth spurt, and just a minor issue.

I'm not too worried or nervous, which is a good sign, because I usually have good instincts about these things.

So while we hang out at home waiting for appointment time, I'll do a little PTR bonus material for ya.

This trip to Disney World (in 6 days!!!!) is not the only trip in the works...

Chapter 18...in which we hang a left, then back, then right again

We are very excited for next summer, too! We are going to California.

You know what's in California??

Huh?
Huh?
Do ya??

Disneyland Resort.

The place where Uncle Walt started it all.

A place full of phenomenal cosmic power...

and an iiittyy bitty living space

(no offense Aurora, but your castle...girl. It's got nothin' on Cindy's.)

We don't have anything booked yet (mainly because the last time I checked, 2016 wasn't available to book), but we are planning three park days there: one for Disneyland, one for California Adventure, and one to hop. We're looking at June of next year, and the 60th celebration will still be going on!!

I can't wait to walk where Walt walked, to see what Walt saw, and to experience the place where the magic began.

My plan is for us to stay at the Park Vue, because it's right across from the main gates, but an onsite stay is not out of the question. I'd lovelovelove to stay at the Disneyland Hotel, personally.

My sister-in-law lives and works in downtown LA, so we'll also see her and take an LA day (walk of fame, Chinese theater, LaBrea Tar pits, etc...) and visit the Santa Monica pier. The rest of the trip will be at the beach. I have never been west before, so I am over the moon. I also wouldn't hate a Warner Bros tour. I really want to see the sets for Pretty Little Liars (because I'm obsessed with that show, and also, the sets are repurposed from Gilmore Girls and I'm REALLY obsessed with THAT show). PLL should be shooting the second half of season 7 (their final season) at that time, which limits seeing some of the sets, but that might mean getting to see them shoot scenes from afar.

Then we'll come back home.

But....

We have something else up our sleeve.

Christmas.

At Walt Disney World.

Word.

If I'm excited about Disneyland, I'm like, triple excited about Christmas at Disney World.

We are waiting to see what the bounceback is next week and then we'll finalize plans and get ready to book. When 2016 packages were released on 6/22, I jumped online to look at pricing, then realized that Christmas 2016 was still outside of the 499 day window. That was a blow.
So again, nothing booked yet, and plans can always change, but as of right now, both of these trips are on the horizon. Ideally we'll be there the week before Christmas, and come home on the 23rd, but we'll also consider the week after Christmas. (but i reallyreally hope pre-Christmas works out.)
We are debating between a stay at The Boardwalk or The Yacht Club (our home, Wilderness Lodge, will be in the thick of new DVC construction :sad: Plus, I guess we should branch out :confused3 )

So that's what's on deck for us.

I try not to fixate on any of it, because I want to enjoy THIS trip to the fullest extent.

But it's nice having something to look forward to after we come home, because PDD (post-Disney depression) is a real, true thing.

Probably a lot of chatty updates coming soon...I'm so anxious!!!

I'm a DLR local. I have stayed at Park Vue Inn across the street and they have been recently renovated with free wifi. It's super close and they offer free hot breakfast. If you can get a good deal at the DLH then I'd choose that but since I'm local and I'm always going for what's cheapest, Park Vue Inn was the best for me.

SO JEALOUS YOU'RE ALMOST AT YOUR TRIP.

I've never stayed at Park Vue, but you certainly can't beat the location :). I'd stay at the Disneyland Hotel myself if I could, but it's outside of my budget. It doesn't really matter for me, though - while I definitely spend some time at my resort in WDW, at DL I end up marathoning it morning to night. It will be interesting to see how far my usual Disney adrenaline takes me the day of my race in November, when I'll be up at like 4am :crazy2:.

Whoo-hoo 6 days!! :cheer2: I may have said this before but I'm very jealous......getting close to our Universal trip, but still over 4 months till Disney!
And that's so awesome that you have TWO other Disney trips in the works :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I'm always happier when I come back and can immediately start thinking about my next trip down. Back in March, I already knew we were going in Nov. and I know DH and I are taking another quick kid-less trip in either Jan. or Feb.
Oh and BTW- went to Hot Topic and copied you on the Peter Pan sunglasses :rolleyes1

I'm a DLR local. I have stayed at Park Vue Inn across the street and they have been recently renovated with free wifi. It's super close and they offer free hot breakfast. If you can get a good deal at the DLH then I'd choose that but since I'm local and I'm always going for what's cheapest, Park Vue Inn was the best for me.

I'm a cheapie cheapskate unless it comes to Disney stuff, and I really feel Park Vue will be everything we could want or need. I love a good recommendation from a local! It makes me feel confident in my choice!!

SO JEALOUS YOU'RE ALMOST AT YOUR TRIP.

I've never stayed at Park Vue, but you certainly can't beat the location :). I'd stay at the Disneyland Hotel myself if I could, but it's outside of my budget. It doesn't really matter for me, though - while I definitely spend some time at my resort in WDW, at DL I end up marathoning it morning to night. It will be interesting to see how far my usual Disney adrenaline takes me the day of my race in November, when I'll be up at like 4am :crazy2:.

See, that's how I feel. I feel like we'll be hitting the parks hard without making the usual WDW midday break, so I don't really want to "waste" the money on DLH. I'm already nervous that we'll fall asleep in our dinner plates because of the time change (we're CST).

I'm sure your Disney adrenaline will definitely carry you over the finish line!!

Whoo-hoo 6 days!! :cheer2: I may have said this before but I'm very jealous......getting close to our Universal trip, but still over 4 months till Disney!
And that's so awesome that you have TWO other Disney trips in the works :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I'm always happier when I come back and can immediately start thinking about my next trip down. Back in March, I already knew we were going in Nov. and I know DH and I are taking another quick kid-less trip in either Jan. or Feb.
Oh and BTW- went to Hot Topic and copied you on the Peter Pan sunglasses :rolleyes1

I hope our adventures will help carry you over til your Disney trip gets here!! I binge read trip reports and waffle between extreme excitement and extreme jealousy, lol!!

Hooray for a no kids trip!! DH and I would love a trip alone together during food and wine, but I figure that trip's a long way off until the kids are a little older. I can't imagine my MIL or my own mother managing the kids' schedules for any length of time. I'm positive it would be a nightmare!

The plans we're making for DL and Christmas...my fingers crossed that everything works out for both! They don't feel real yet with nothing booked. Christmas 2016 is still 534 days away, so I have awhile before booking will open up. *sigh* Don't they know I'm anxious??

And I don't know how ANYONE can resist those Peter Pan sunglasses. They're just too cute!

Joining in (just in time)!

I'm also completely addicted to the Etsy ears & pins... it's terrible... :rotfl:

The few days before you leave always pass more slowly than the previous few MONTHS. I hope your trip gets off to a smooth start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter