"We'll need a suitcase just for your ears!" - A July 2015 PTR *Complete*

Hi!! :wave:

Just popping in for a second to say hello to anyone out there reading along!!

We are 18 days from vacation. Time is crawling, but that's ok! I'm anxious for our trip but I don't want to wish away our summer. On the other hand, we have family visiting next week, so I'll probably REALLY NEED the vacation afterward, lol. I love my MIL, but you just never know what she's going to be like from one trip to another.
Sometimes it's great and we all have a good time, but the next time it's a disaster and everyone is tense and needs a drink. :drinking1
They're coming over the 4th of July holiday, so I'm hoping there will just be enough going on that she's distracted and happy. No matter what though, I am very grateful for her, because she and her fiance/boyfriend/male companion (they've been together as long as me and DH, but I don't know what to call him, aside from his name of course!) always come stay with our dogs when we are on vacation.

Speaking of my dogs, I haven't introduced them yet!I posted their pictures on a thread about pets yesterday, and it got me wanting to share them with you all!! They are important members of the family, and at least once a day I threaten to take my little girl dog to Disney World with us and try to pass her off as a hairy baby.

All of our dogs are rescues.

Wilson is a weird mix, with stubby legs, a long body, blue eyes, and terrier hair:

I love him, but he is a giant pain in the rear. He has anxiety and he's super needy...he stresses me out on a daily basis, but I can't imagine not having him around.

Olive is my precious baby. I am a little ridiculous about this dog. We are not quite to the level of Raj and Cinnamon (for those of you who watch the Big Bang Theory), though. This dog is the love of my life. I'm not even embarrassed to admit it, LOL!! She is a shih tzu and we've had her since she was 6 weeks old. Her mom was rescued from a hoarding situation while pregnant, and we got Livi from her litter.

and here she is in her winter jacket:

Finally, we have Howard Wolowitz, aka Howie. He is a lhasa apso, formerly a breeding stud. He lived the first two years of his life in a cage. Before rescue, his feet never touched grass and he didn't even have a name. He has one blue eye and one brown eye, and he is the laziest dog on earth.

These dogs are just three extra children with more hair.

Leaving them for vacation is so hard. You can bet that within 30 minutes of taking off in the airplane, I will ask DH, "How do you think the dogs are?" at least twice.

The closer we get to leaving the more I think about it...which is probably why I was compelled to write this post!!

Thanks for dealing with my rambling this morning!!

On a non-dog related topic, regarding my actual children...

L has been going to Camp Invention all week. He is very sad that it will be over tomorrow. They focus on creativity and imagination, and they take apart electronic devices and use upcycled materials to create new inventions. Tomorrow they will have their inventor's showcase, and all of the kids will show off their creations.

They've even constructed a go-kart from the materials, and they've worked on making water protection gear for their daily water balloon fight.

If you see fliers for this in your local schools and wonder if it's worth it, it is!! Particularly if your kids enjoy hands on activities, or if they're involved in Odyssey of the Mind or similar programs. I love anything that teaches problem solving through creative solutions!

I hope you all are enjoying your summer so far! We've finally had a nice dry week with plenty of sunshine, but have been limited in our activities because of L's camp schedule. I'm hoping the weather holds next week so we can get out and do some fun things together during the day :grouphug:

Take care everybody, and I'll have another update soon!!

Last edited:
I love your magic bands!

And I completely understand about the whole clothes thing. My biggest problem with shorts is that my thighs are huge and since I'm short I can never find shorts that are comfortable.

Chapter Two, in which I explain the title of the PTR...

Good morning!!

I'm sitting here watching the season finale of Bates Motel on the DVR before starting my day, so I think balancing that heaviness with a little Disney writing will do nicely ::yes::

So...why on earth would anyone need an entire suitcase for ears? Well, I don't. Not really anyway, but I have developed a bit of an obsession of sorts. I don't even know if that's the correct way of phrasing it, it's more like I unleashed the quiet (Pete's) dragon sleeping inside and let it on out to roar. I love Disney custom items. Love them. But I could never justify having anything like that. I mean, what do you DO with them when you're home? What's the POINT of it all?? I am not a frivolous person by nature. I'm a mega cheapskate. I hate spending money, it gives me anxiety.

I would see people on the Disboards or in my August Fbook group last year buying or making all of these awesome things, and I'd adore them, but didn't entertain the idea of having any of those things myself. We have some fun t-shirts, but that's about it, and they sure weren't custom, they were whatever was at Kohl's or Target.

When I got to WDW last summer though, the call of Minnie ear headbands was strong. On our AK day last year, I found a pair I really loved. Gold sequins with a little flower/feather applique thing on them. I picked them up. I held them. I turned them over and over in my hands, admiring the glitter of the sequins in the light. I put them on. I looked in the mirror. I showed my husband, and he said "get them if you like them!" I said, "but what will I DO with them??" I showed them to my kids. They said, "You should get those, Mom." I said, "But WHAT will I DO with them?!?!?"

I put them back.

And I was sad about it.

After that, I looked in every shop we went in looking to find them again, and couldn't find them. Fate was on our side, however, because the next day we found them in Epcot, and I bought them. And I've never looked back. In fact, I've just kept going.

Last night I bought my THIRD pair of custom ears for the trip (that makes a total of 4 pair, including my gold ones).
I have a pair of ears from BibbidiBobbidiBrooke (find her on instagram and etsy!) that are the portraits from the stretching room in the Haunted Mansion:

I have a pair of Snow White/Wicked Queen/Dwarf ears from EarBowtique (also on instagram and etsy):

And last night I bought another pair from EarBowtique that match my Disney Vera Bradley hipster bag, in the Midnight with Mickey pattern. What can I say? I'm obsessed, I told you. I am finished with ears now though, I think. If I were to get any more (and I will NOT get any more for this trip), they will be Haunted Mansion wallpaper print.

But ears aren't all...I also discovered Parkbound buttons (again, etsy and instagram) and we got a bunch of those, too:

So there you have it. Now you know my dirty little secret. I'm an Ear-o-holic. There are worse things in life to be, I guess.

Up next...that's cool about the ears and all, but where are you planning to eat? ADRs.

It's okay I recently started a new hobby - making ears for "my DD" Truth be told I love them as much as she does.

I love your magic bands!

And I completely understand about the whole clothes thing. My biggest problem with shorts is that my thighs are huge and since I'm short I can never find shorts that are comfortable.

I hate clothes shopping so, so much. Last summer was the first in about 3 years that I wore shorts, and this summer I'm back to wanting to hide. I don't have the height issue, but my sister in law does (my 11 year old is taller than her), and I know how she feels, so I feel your pain by proxy, LOL!!

I want pajama pants to be acceptable Disney wear in summer.

I'm late but I'm hooked! Following! Love those ears!

Welcome and thank you!! I'm happy to have you aboard!!

It's okay I recently started a new hobby - making ears for "my DD" Truth be told I love them as much as she does.

Yeah...I do a lot of things "for the kids" too, LOL!! And ears are so fun!! I get myself into too many crafts, so I haven't ventured into the ear making game myself...yet.

Your Magic Kingdom plans look great!!!

I totally understand your ADR planning/unplanning/replanning debacles. I try not to get too attached/excited for one restaurant because I know my ADRs will NEVER stay put for too long :sad2: but everything works out at the end!!! I bet you're excited for BoG!!!!

Your magic bands are AWESOME. Oh my goodness. You're so artistic!!! They came out wonderful!!! You're going to get so many compliments!!! AHHHHH!!!! :dogdance::dogdance::dogdance:

Your Magic Kingdom plans look great!!!

I totally understand your ADR planning/unplanning/replanning debacles. I try not to get too attached/excited for one restaurant because I know my ADRs will NEVER stay put for too long :sad2: but everything works out at the end!!! I bet you're excited for BoG!!!!

Your magic bands are AWESOME. Oh my goodness. You're so artistic!!! They came out wonderful!!! You're going to get so many compliments!!! AHHHHH!!!! :dogdance::dogdance::dogdance:

I played it off like I was cool about the changes, but I was pretty annoyed. I knew it was a possibility, but I was also trying to pretend like I DIDN'T know this was most likely going to happen, you know? Luckily it all worked out and I was able to easily make changes that worked out for us. We ARE excited for BOG. We've had both lunch and dinner there, so breakfast will be all new to us. And look, I'm just not going to be turning down a cronut anytime soon, so it was right up my alley!

Thank you for the compliments on the bands! I don't always feel very artistic. I feel like I have basic art skills, and sometimes I think about taking classes to see if there's any real talent inside me somewhere.

Tomorrow we are TWO WEEKS from vacation!!!

Yesterday we went to see Inside Out. Based on reviews from others, I was prepared to cry through the whole thing, but I only got misty a few times, and the tears only really flowed during one certain part with one certain character (this is my way of not posting spoilers, haha, being cryptic) and then the ending.

As a mother, I often wonder what is really going on inside my kids' heads, so there were some real "that hits home" moments.

We all agreed we loved Sadness the most, and since coming home from the theater, at least once every half hour one of us says, "Remember that funny movie where the dog dies?"
I just have to say, Phyllis Smith is perfection. I also loved the Haunted Mansion reference and the cameo from Figment.

But there was one takeaway that overshadowed all of the rest, and that was the Pixar short Lava.

IT IS LITERALLY ALL I COULD SEE DURING THE WHOLE THING!!

Not the mama.

Hope everyone's weekend is stellar, and I'll be back again soon!!

Oh my goodness!!! I knew that the volcano from Lava reminded me of something... thank you for reminding me!!! :rotfl:

Not the mama!!!! LOL Loved that show. :) When they hid the baby at Osborn Lights last year I probably took 30 photos to try and get a good one. It had nothing to do with the few drinks I had on an empty stomach. hee hee!

I just caught up on your PTR and OMG those buttons! I have bookmarked their new site and now have a new thing I need to buy for our trip in September. Thanks for sharing!

Not Disney related, just have to say I think it's funny your kids have finished two camps already. My kids just finished school last Wed. (Tues for older DS) so tomorrow starts our first "real" week of summer lol!!

Not the mama!!!! LOL Loved that show. :) When they hid the baby at Osborn Lights last year I probably took 30 photos to try and get a good one. It had nothing to do with the few drinks I had on an empty stomach. hee hee!

It wasn't drinks, it was nostalgia!!

It was either during Christmas break or over some snow days this past winter that I tried to get my kids watching Dinosaurs on Netflix. They wandered in and out, so it was mostly just me watching, and I didn't remember them getting so deep with the subject matter. It's one of those shows that's odd to watch when you're older, kind of like Alf.

Although, now we do talk about "Hurling Day", and whether or not they'll throw me into a volcano when I am deemed too old to live, LOL!!!

I just caught up on your PTR and OMG those buttons! I have bookmarked their new site and now have a new thing I need to buy for our trip in September. Thanks for sharing!

Aren't they fun?? They're really high quality, too. I was shocked at how nice they were in person. Good luck choosing, that's the hardest part!!

Not Disney related, just have to say I think it's funny your kids have finished two camps already. My kids just finished school last Wed. (Tues for older DS) so tomorrow starts our first "real" week of summer lol!!

Wow! Do your kids go back after Labor Day then? Last year we had two weeks of snow days and ended up in school until June 6. We thought our summer was so short! This year we finished on the 29th of May and I thought that was a little late. Throughout my time in school and theirs, we usually start around the third week of August and get out sometime after the third week of May. I feel like my kids get out a little later than I did, I remember being out of school as early as May 16.

Wow! Do your kids go back after Labor Day then? Last year we had two weeks of snow days and ended up in school until June 6. We thought our summer was so short! This year we finished on the 29th of May and I thought that was a little late. Throughout my time in school and theirs, we usually start around the third week of August and get out sometime after the third week of May. I feel like my kids get out a little later than I did, I remember being out of school as early as May 16.
Yes, we always go back after Labor Day, even waaaaaay back when I was in school lol. So it's late June when they're done, but I used to be done by mid-June like the 15th/16th. Not sure exactly why that changed: I think the teachers have more "superintendents' conference" days now where the kids have off, plus there are a couple holidays now that we didn't have when I was growing up. But my nieces in N. Mexico are out in early May; my sister is moving to Georgia Fri and she said her boys will start school the first week of Aug., so I assume they'll also finish in early May. I believe those of us in the NE have the latest starts in the Fall and go the longest into the Spring/early summer. But that's why we go down to WDW the very end of Aug, because "youseguys" are in school already so the parks aren't crowded lol :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

Chapter 16...In which we try to help revive an old trend

I'm back already!!

Today we are OFFICIALLY
14 days away from our trip. That's only two weeks. That's like no time at all!!

The boys had eye exams today and got their new glasses. I looove Lens Crafters and only having to wait an hour before getting their glasses and being on our way. It doesn't hurt that it's in the mall and we have plenty to keep us distracted while we wait. We ate lunch in the food court (Taco Bell for X and S'barro for me and L, just in case anyone was dying to know), looked at the Disney Vans in Journeys (I've been in 3 Journeys stores in the last two days and none of them have the Minnie Mouse ones :sad: I just want to see them in person!), and then got sucked into the black hole of Hot Topic. They were having sales on almost everything, and it took all I had not to BUY ALL OF THE THINGS. Their selection of Disney stuff is just too fun.

Their sunglasses were buy one get one for $1, and since I can't live without sunglasses (my eyes are overly sensitive to light), I did not feel like this was a frivolous purchase. I got Stitch ones and Peter Pan ones:

Oh, and that little 'Ohana button. Couldn't resist. The kids got some Pokemon stickers and a button apiece, and then some Bertie Botts every flavor beans, which proceeded to make Leyton sick to his stomach. He came home, brushed his teeth, and threw the rest away :sick:

I got crafty too, and here's where the title of the chapter comes into play: I made my LGMH (lime green Mickey head).

I went up to my desk/craft table upstairs and was greeted by my tsum tsums

(I am an adult, I promise.)

I cheated and used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out my Mickey heads. I found an image online, imported it to my library, and traced it out:

The material I got isn't really foam like I thought...it's kind of a weird thick fabric?? I really thought it was just floppy foam, but no. I changed the level on my blade, and changed my cut settings to "thick fabric - canvas", and loaded my cutting mat.

(please ignore the abhorrent state of my cutting mat. I need new ones, but I just spray my old ones with spray adhesive and pretend they're still good.)

The file I used wasn't awesome, and there were some points at the base of the ears that didn't cut well, so I got out my blade and fixed it

Then I repositioned my green stuff and cut another Mickey

Used my trusty spray adhesive to stick them together:

Now it's double sided!

Craft note: Don't be an idiot like me and forget to lay something under whatever you are spraying. I wish I could tell you this doesn't happen often, but that'd be a lie!

Completed product:

So there you go! If you are traveling in July, feel free to say hello :wave2::wave2:

Back again soon!!

OMG 2 weeks! I can't even imagine how excited I will be when I hit the 2 week mark. I have 76 days to go and still get antsy so I'm watching youtube videos of extinct WDW attractions.

For some reason I can't see the photos when I'm on the DIS at work (which is rightly so :rolleyes1) so I'll have to look them up when I get home.

OMG 2 weeks! I can't even imagine how excited I will be when I hit the 2 week mark. I have 76 days to go and still get antsy so I'm watching youtube videos of extinct WDW attractions.

For some reason I can't see the photos when I'm on the DIS at work (which is rightly so :rolleyes1) so I'll have to look them up when I get home.

I love YouTube to help me through the waiting!! Your 76 days will go by more quickly than you think! I have days when I feel like time is dragging, but then I see my countdown and think, "Oh my gosh! How has it gotten so close?!?"

I'm terrified I'll destroy our bands so I'm thinking of doing one of those overlays. I found one place with Doctor Who ones!

I ordered a custom Dr Who band for my son. I'll post a pic and I have an extra - they send 2 stickers! I'm guessing incase you damage one. We get our bands in a couple weeks so I won;t know if it's available until I apply the one. When do you go?

Omg can you make me a LGMH and mail it to me? Because mine will probably end up being a really sad lopsided thing cut out of construction paper that in no way resembles Mickey. In fact, it'll probably end up looking evil or obscene and I'll get kicked out of the parks.......my crafty side is nonexistent!
Love the PP sunglasses! Think I'll have to hit Hot Topic after DS's orthodontist appt. tomorrow :goodvibes I recently bought the Villains Vans and I'm wearing them around the house, trying to break them in. Unfortunately they aren't as comfortable as I'd hoped :scared: I'm not giving up yet though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter