Weeklong Family Trip - Which resort?

harriettbrawner

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are taking our children and grandchildren to Disney for a week in 2017. As of right now we're looking at mid-September because our Georgia grandchildren have a fall break from school, but we could go as early as spring (not spring break). Our tickets are covered so all we need is to decide which resort will be best. The children's ages range from 15 to an infant and I want to book 3 rooms so we can spread out. I'd like to have at least refrigerators and microwaves as well and since we'll be using a stroller for the two smallest easy access to the TTC would be awesome. I don't want to spend a fortune so the deluxe resorts are out. Is this even possible?

Standard Disney rooms do not have microwaves. Only DVC villas and Family Suites at AOA and All-Star Music have microwaves, and pricing for suites may be in a similar range to discounted Standard rooms at a Deluxe resort.

The only resorts with quick access to the TTC are the deluxe resorts (Poly, CR, Grand Flo) and Shades of Green, which does require a military service member in the party.

So, honestly: Everything you want is not possible. The caveat is you might be able to rent DVC points to stay at the Poly or CR cost-effectively, but both resorts require planning ahead (7-11 months), and once you have a reservation via point rental, you cannot change or cancel. The transaction is final.

The key things to know are first, that Shades of Gteen don't have in-room microwaves, and second, SOG only gets 30-day FP+ bookings. They do get Extra Magic Hours. No Magical Express, or Disney Dining Plan purchase.

Hi I kind of need the same . 2 adults -6 kids ages 2-16. 2 rooms would be great

What great grandparents you are!

If you want space and money is a consideration, Shades of Green is a great way to go (we've stayed there with retired Army grandparents). You also qualify for the military discounts of up to 40% at Disney resorts too, so price out both. There's a website that spells out what is possible for military families--not sure it is allowed to link to it, but it is not a travel agency. http://www.militarydisneytips.com/

You don't give an exact number of people, but going in September is a great idea. You could book a 2 bedroom villa at one of the DVC properties at a discounted off a rate that is already going to be lower.

Shades of Green can be a real bargain, but make sure you run the numbers and know what you aren't getting. The pool is just a big pool, not as much "fun" going on as at the resorts and in September, you're sure to be spending time at the pool. The rooms at SOG are huge--great for a family. The service at SOG is more like what you'll get at the PX than what you'll get at Disney--it's hit or miss in my experience depending on the mood/personality of the person you're working with.

Wherever you stay, you can buy your Military Salute tickets (make sure to bring military ID) at the Shades of Green ticket counter. If your party is bigger than 6, you can still get discounts on the extra tickets you need to purchase and you won't pay sales tax.

That is sure nice of you. I would consider as PP suggested renting DVC points at looking at Bay Lake tower. They have one , two and three bedrooms plus studios. Also you can get the monorail to MK and EPCOT and TTC. Walk to MK.

Have a lovely time.

Hi! We're a military family that has taken our family to Disney three times since 2009 and have stayed at both Deluxe and Moderate Resorts. We've also traveled with extended family (a party of 16 with 8 small children). First, I'd like to add my thoughts just so you can make a good judgment on the location of SOG and it's access to the TTC. SOG is across the street from the Polynesian Resort, and although it is "within walking distance" to the TTC it is quite a trek. Since you are looking for easy access I just thought I would include that. The easiest access to the TTC are the monorail resorts, of course, as others have stated. Just want to include that the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness Resort are close by (a boat ride away). Worth considering. The Wilderness Lodge is a Deluxe, but offers rooms at a more affordable rate than other Deluxes, and the Fort Wilderness Resort offers camping and cabin options. With the size of your party, you may want to consider a cabin or two. Price it all out, especially because it sounds like your husband qualifies for the military discounted rooms. They are 40% off for Deluxe, 35% off for Moderate, and 30% off for Value. The discounts are based on availability of course, so if you plan to book last minute or closer to the time you are going to travel the options may be limited. Only once did we run into that issue, when we booked only 60 days out.

For reference, with our party of 16 we booked four adjoining rooms at the Port Orleans Riverside. Absolutely beautiful and we didn't feel like we were missing out on a Deluxe while staying there. With the 8 children, and 3 who required strollers, we didn't mind having to fold them up for the bus rides. Just remember to request bottom floor rooms so you don't have to climb up and down stairs with the strollers. The pool at Port Orleans Riverside is wonderful for children as well, and you get to take a boat ride back and forth to Disney Springs. Very relaxing.

BTW- The moderates come with a small refrigerator, and you can request a microwave in the room. The last stay we requested a microwave and we were given one. I know the microwaves are limited at the resorts, so it is not a guarantee to get one. Just make sure to request ahead of time and then remind the front desk once you arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!