Week before Christmas '06

ksoehrlein

Once (and Future?) CM
Thanks to the Food Network and Travel Channel, I managed to convince DH that we need to see WDW in all its holiday splendor. We'll be working around the school schedule and DH wants to spend Christmas day at home, so we're looking at (at most) a 3-night stay (12/21-12/24 if the school calendar remains the same as this year).

We own at HH, so we'll need to book 7 months out if we use points. I'm tempted to pay cash for GF and call it my Christmas present, but that's a lot of $$$.

So my question is, is there any chance that we'll be able to book 7 months out for those dates? If so, is there any hope at all of VWL? If not, we'll be perfectly happy with BCV, BWV, SSR, or OKW in no particular order.

Or should we splurge on a once-in-a-lifetime stay at GF? With this scenario, we would probably avoid the parks (except for MVMCP) to spend as much time in the hotel as possible. But then, is it really worth buying APs for our 5-day March trip? We wouldn't go again until Spring Break 07 and have no idea yet when that will be (i.e. within the 12-month AP period or not).

Sorry to ramble on. DH doesn't get the planning; he's a "Tell me where and when" kind of WDW tourist. I'm the "WDW Nazi." So I have no one to bounce ideas off of except for you guys. Thanks in advance for your advice!

For the week before Christmas of 2004, the VWL was available at 7 months for reservations. It wasn't available from the day after Christmas through New Yera's eve. This was for a 2BR. Who knows what difference a couple of years will make but I would call day by day if I were you becasue of the large number of new members that have been added the last two years.

HBC

I was able to book VWL during August. I believe I had booked a 1bdrm, then waitlisted for a studio. I ended up changing it to the BWVs.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't splurge for the GF if it meant missing the parks. There just isn't THAT much to do at the resort itself. Yes, the Travel Channel makes it all seem so wonderful, and it really is, but did you notice how much time it took them to show you all the highlights? Not three days worth, that's for sure!!! I'd stay at VWL for the asbsolutely beautiful decorations, and visit GF to see the Gingerbread House, etc. You could eat lunch or dinner at GF and spend an hour or so looking at the decorations.

But I'd make sure I got to the parks!!!!

I booked a 2 bdrm at OKW for 12/17 - 12/21 two weeks ago. As long as you're not picky, you should be OK.

Know what you mean about the Travel Channel and Food Network, they're to blame for our trip too! :smooth:

Have you stayed at the Grand Floridian before? We stayed 8 nights there for our honeymoon in a dormer room at Boca Chica for $470/night in November, and the room didn't compare to any of the DVC resorts. Being on the monorail was nice, the pool was nice, the room was nice, but for that price, well, I hate to think what else I could have used that money for. I would never stay there again-- that's why we purchased DVC on our trip-- so we could stay at the DVC properties! I'd stay in a DVC room, rent a car, and drive over to all the other resorts and visit. Then go back to your villa!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter