~We seldom report of having eaten too little~ Updated 07/14 - Jiko!

Via Napoli - May 19th
This was our third experience at Via Napoli and it was by far the best!

We checked in at 7:20 for our 7:30 reservation and were seated within 5 minutes. Our table was in the main room, with a fantastic view of the wood-burning pizza ovens.

IMG_7463.jpg

Our server, Camilla, was friendly and clearly liked to joke a bit with her guests. This is something we love in a server. In fact, all the staff at Via Napoli were fun! The runner who brought our pasta was a hoot! We asked for a spoon and he replied, "let me think about it!" :rotfl: We all killed ourselves laughing. Within moments he returned with two spoons on a plate. "I spoke to my manager, he said you can have two!" :lmao:

We started with drinks. DDad had a Moretti Beer, DMom had a glass of the Chianti and I had a glass of Rosa Regale
IMG_7464.jpg
We explained that we wanted to share a few items and she said she thought it was a fantastic idea and suggested that he just send the food out as it is ready, so that we can enjoy each item at it's hottest and freshest, instead of holding back an item to send them all together.

First, we tried a "Build your own pizza", the base of which is Margherita (tomato, basil and mozzarella). As this was DMom's selection to share, she added mushrooms and olives.

IMG_7466.jpg

As I dislike both olives and mushrooms, I can't comment on this. But DMom and DDad devoured it so I assume it was great!

My selection was the Candele pasta, described as candle shaped pasta with polpette (meatballs), sausage ragu, mozzarella and ricotta. This was actually MickeyNicki's brilliant suggestion! We met earlier in France and she told me that she had tried (and loved) the Candele on her last visit to Via Napoli.

IMG_7468.jpg

This reminded me of the amazing Baked Ziti from the food and wine festival a few years back. It was creamy from the ricotta, tangy from the tomato, slightly spicy from the sausage and perfectly al dente.

DDad's selection was the pepperoni pizza.

This was outstanding! The crust was perfectly blistered, the pepperoni was spicy, there wasn't too much cheese or sauce, and every bite was delicious. We nearly licked the pizza tray lol.

Unfortunately, my picture came out blurry and blurry food photos are a pet peeve of mine. In fact, I wish the Candele picture was clearer.

Anyways, this was a great dining experience and we will happily return to Via Napoli!

I Love your reports and thank you for the effort and time that you put into it. Can not wait to go. We will have the dining plan for the first time this trip in Sept and your reviews are extremely helpful.:worship:

Wow, I really want to try Via Napoli on my next trip. I absolutely love Italian food and that looks darn tasty!

Your reviews are AMAZING!! I finally figured out what everyone means when they say they are "subbing" and I am now too!! :woohoo:

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

We did Hollywood Studios this morning. The new star tours is absolutely amazing!! We can't wait to try it again in October.

Tonight we are off to Jiko (yum!). I have lots of reviews left, but photo uploading is still VERY slow here. Tonight I think I'll post updated menus from California Grill, Jiko and from Bistro de Paris and Artist Point (didn't eat at the last two, but took photos of the menus!)

Well, you have convinced that trying Via Napoli again is a wise move! Just curious about the pizza...was the crust crisp on the bottom? When we went in February the crust was kind of soggy and I didn't like it.

Hope that you enjoy Jiko, but I have a feeling you will. Its a lovely experience.

Great reviews! We'll be there next week and are eating at Kona Cafe and Via Napoli... that bread pudding at Kona looks AMAZING!

Mmmmmm looking at these reviews is making me hungry! :thumbsup2 The chicken from La Hacienda looks especially good. We are going there in June for dinner and cant wait!

Hi Everyone!

We are back from our trip :sad1: but we had an amazing time!

We loved staying at the Wilderness Lodge again :cloud9:. We were in room 5150, 5th floor, facing the Villas and the Villa pool.

The issue with Coronado was simple. We checked in. We disliked our room (it had a view of a pillar, another pillar and a wall...) so we asked to be switched to another room. We were met with a lot of attitude and we were informed that there were NO other rooms available. Considering it was 1pm, we found that rather difficult to believe. We asked again to be moved, and were basically told to deal with what we had been given. :mad: So, we called and asked to be switched to Wilderness Lodge.

Now that I am back I have lots of reviews left to do! And my internet speeds at home are light years faster than at WL :sad2: It was tedious! I was able to upload 5 pictures in 3 hours. It was pretty sad lol.

The weather was outstanding. Sunny and 92 to 95 every day. It was unbelievably hot and there were very few clouds. It got a bit much at times, but I'll take scorching heat over constant rain (original forecast) any day!

I rode the new Star Tours 3D and I have to say....WOW!! :eek::woohoo::worship:

It is absolutely amazing and well worth running for a FP first thing in the morning. I won't spoil anything, but if anyone wants details feel free to PM :thumbsup2

Tonight I'll post some more reviews. I still have:

Liberty Tree Tavern - May 18th and May 24th
Flame Tree BBQ - May 19th
Red Lobster - May 20th
Raglan Road - May 20th
ESPN Club - May 21st
California Grill - May 21st
Chefs de France - May 22nd
Outback Steakhouse - May 22nd
Jiko - May 23rd
Chefs de France - May 24th
and many many snack & drink pictures :rolleyes1 (we over-dosed on Magic Cookie Bars at Wilderness Lodge :hyper: )

Just joining in - enjoyed your past reviews and looking forward to more. Glad you enjoyed La Hacienda again . We are going for the 1st time in oct. the shrimp tacos are calling my name. Have you tried the take away from Via Napoli ? My ds13 doesn't like pizza so I canceled my adr last year but thought i might try the take away .

Leaving Walt Disney World is definitely the hardest part of the entire vacation. I'm glad you had a wonderful time and had amazing weather!! And overdosing on magic cookie bars is never a bad thing ;) I'm very excited for your reviews! :banana:

I'm so excited to stumble upon your report. popcorn:: I followed the link from your post on MickeyNicki's latest thread. I'm looking forward to checking out your blog, too.

California Grill - May 21st

I'm going slightly out of order with this review, but we had such a great meal at California Grill last Saturday that I wanted to relive it through this review.

We arrived at the Contemporary at 7:30 and checked in on the second floor. We requested our favorite server, Ron, and were told that we might have a bit of a wait but that they could definitely put us in his section.

When we got to the 15th floor, we grabbed a few seats at the bar area facing Seven Seas Lagoon. The view from the California Grill is probably my favorite view on Disney property. The sun was just starting to set, so we settled in with some drinks (scotch for Dad, shiraz for DMom and coke for me) and enjoyed the sunset.

We waited about 40 minutes, making it 8:10, before going to the podium to check on the status of our table. I spoke to a very nice manager, Glen, and he assured me that the table would be ready shortly. I let him know that we didn't mind the wait at all, but wanted to be sure we were still in the queue as we have gotten lost in the shuffle before when requesting a specific server.

Another 20 minutes passes, making it 8:30, and DDad goes to check on the reservation. At this point Glen apologizes and explains that one of the tables was attempting to milk out the seating thinking that Wishes was scheduled for 9. The table was kindly informed that A. Wishes was scheduled for 10pm and B. The restaurant needed to turn the table and that they were welcome to stay in the lounge to watch Wishes from the outdoor viewing area.

Moments later we were seated at a table right beside the window, in Ron's section. It was well worth the wait.

IMG_7559.jpg

Our place setting

Ron stopped by and welcomed us. He apologized for the wait and told us that he had not been informed that we were waiting for him, but he was very happy to see us. Ron has served us at least a dozen times at the California Grill. We enjoy his serving style and catching up to see how he has been.

No sooner had Ron apologized than Glen arrived with one of the Chefs, Jamie I believe. They had prepared an amuse bouche for us as a means of making up for the wait.

We were each presented with a demi-tasse cup filled with:

Grilled Local Zellwood Corn Soup with Maine Lobster, Portobello Mushrooms, Espellette, and White Truffle Oil.

IMG_7560.jpg

This has to be one of the best soups I have ever tasted. The first mouthful hit you over the head with wonderful sweet corn flavor, then the earthiness of the portobello and white truffle oil and the slight spice of the espellette set in. It was sweet, smokey and spicy and I wanted more! The best surprise were the occasional niblets of grilled corn that added texture and a pop of intense fresh corn flavour.

Next up for us was our reason for coming to the California Grill: SUSHI!

IMG_7561.jpg

Ron explained that the California Grill recently changed their chopsticks. The only problem: The chopsticks pictures are Chinese chopsticks. He said that Yoshi had a fit! :lmao:

We hated them as they are not meant for sushi. Japanese Chopsticks narrow to a fine point. Chinese chopsticks are wider and flatter at the ends.

Thankfully, they still have the other standard chopsticks if you request them.

The sushi here is a masterpiece. Every roll is a complex and stunning work of art. I have never had better, or more creative sushi in my life.

We always order 3 to 4 rolls and tonight was no exception. We had (from top to bottom in the picture:

California Roll...Jumbo Lump Crab with Avocado and Cucumber

Shrimp Tempura Roll....Tempura Shrimp, Mango, Watermelon and Mame Nori with Orange Ginger Dipping Sauce (this item is not on the menu, but well worth ordering!! We had TWO.)

Spicy Kazan Roll...Crab, Shrimp, Bay Scallops, Tuna and Fireball Sauce

IMG_7562.jpg

Every bite was heavenly. I could eat this once a week and never be bored of it.

Next up, Ron brought us some of the fantastic Sourdough Bread made in house daily.

763abc27.png

We considered ordering some appetizers after our sushi, as there were numerous new items on the menu, but we were too full.

We opted for two "dessert" courses.

First up, the evening's cheese selection.

411a67ef.png

From right to left (the order they were to be eaten in) we have:

SeaHive – is hand-rubbed with Beehive wildflower honey and sea salt. The honey is harvested from a local farm where the bees visit wildflowers and fruit orchards. The salt is from an ancient sea bed near Redmond, Utah and contains unique flecks of colour. This artisnal cheese indeed bursts with flavor: sweet, floral notes of the honey, salt and the sharpness of the cheese; a real adventure in flavor.

Nancy’s Hudson Valley Camembert – is a pasteurized cow and sheep’s milk cheese from Old Chatham Creamery in New York. This creamy, soft-ripened cheese is smooth and buttery with the texture of a triple-crème. It is sweet with a buttermilk depth and a little tang.

Drunken Goat Cheese – “Queso de Cabra al Vino” is a pasteurized goat’s milk cheese from the village of Jumilla in Murcia, Spain. The cheese is soaked in red wine for two to three days, giving the outside a thin purple rind. The rind typically remains fairly soft and pliable and is edible. The paste is nearly pure white and has a sweet, smooth and delicately grapey flavor and a gentle, pliable texture.

Petite Agour - is a pure unpasteurized sheep's milk cheese 'Pur Brebis' and winner of two gold medals at the Paris Salon de L'Agriculture. The semi-firm paste is sharp, deep and earthy with notes of butter and toasted nuts. The rind of the cheese is rubbed with spices to help protect the interior and to give the exterior a rusty hue.

King Island Dairy Roaring Forties Blue - is a full flavored pasteurized blue with a sweet, slightly nutty character, a rich mouth feel and good aftertaste. The rindless cheese is matured in its wax coating, which cuts off the oxygen supply, promoting its sweet and fruity flavor. The wax also assists in retaining the blue's moisture, creating a smooth and creamy texture.

I tried all but the blue as I am allergic. This was one of the best cheese selections I have had at Disney. My favorites were the Petite Agour and the Drunken Goat Cheese.

After our delicious cheeses we had our 2nd dessert course of the night.

f6afd9b7.png

Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Apple Compote, Drunken Butterscotch Sauce and Vanilla-Toffee Ice Cream

Yum! Not as good as Ohana, but very tasty.

212a2493.png

Valrhona Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream

My favorite item on the menu, the seasonal pairing was strawberry ice cream, but as I don't care for strawberries I went with a classic pairing of vanilla.

As always, we had a wonderful meal. We will definitely be returning to the California Grill on our next trip :thumbsup2

I may be remembering incorrectly, but does the shrimp tempura roll look different? Maybe more black on the outside? Love your reviews!

That Zellwood corn soup is FANTASTIC!!! My friend ordered it when we were there about 3 weeks ago and it literally tastes like the best sweet corn. Made me wish I had ordered it...although I had the pork belly which was AMAZING!

CA Grill remains one of my faves!

Jill in CO

Wow, great reviews! Everything looks so delicious and you are so thorough! Was just wondering about getting Ohana's bread pudding at Kona. Love the bread pudding and no Kona dessert looks THAT great to me. Did they offer you the bread pudding or did you have to request it? Was it any trouble?

TIA!:goodvibes

Glad you're having a good time! Keep those reviews coming! :)

We had an amazing time! Lots of reviews to follow :)

count me in!

Thanks for joining in.

Absolutely! Everything was so yummy.

Subbing! Loving the reviews so far! Love the black beans coment! :lmao: I agree, I don't like beans of any kind! Blech!

I hate beans! It's mostly a texture thing, but with black beans it really is that "dirt" taste! :sick:

The Queso Fundido looks amazing! I will be definitely trying it in October. :goodvibes

It is delicious! It's salty and spicy at the same time. Great appetizer.

Thanks for the great review! You have me hooked! I just booked La Hacienda for October and I can't wait...

Hope you enjoy it! We have had two great experiences and we are returning in October as well.

Well, you convinced me!:goodvibes I just made a lunch reservation for Via Napoli for October.

You won't regret it hun! The pizza was fantastic. Make sure to try the Candele pasta :thumbsup2

I Love your reports and thank you for the effort and time that you put into it. Can not wait to go. We will have the dining plan for the first time this trip in Sept and your reviews are extremely helpful.:worship:

Thank you. I love doing the reviews both as a way to provide information to others and as a means of reliving my trip! If you have any questions about the dining plan feel free to ask! I've used it several times.

Wow, I really want to try Via Napoli on my next trip. I absolutely love Italian food and that looks darn tasty!

It was wonderful and the wait staff were a lot of fun! They really seemed to be enjoying joking with the guests. The pizzas are best fresh out of the oven, that is why we refrained from ordered appetizers.

Your reviews are AMAZING!! I finally figured out what everyone means when they say they are "subbing" and I am now too!! :woohoo:

LOL, ah yes, all the DIS acronyms and short forms can get confusing. Thanks for reading.

Well, you have convinced that trying Via Napoli again is a wise move! Just curious about the pizza...was the crust crisp on the bottom? When we went in February the crust was kind of soggy and I didn't like it.

Hope that you enjoy Jiko, but I have a feeling you will. Its a lovely experience.

The crust was crispy when the pizzas arrived and by the time we each had a second slice it had gotten a little soggy towards the middle. Next time we are going to order 1 pizza, eat it. Then ordered another and eat it. That way we can finish each while the crust is still crispy. This is pizza that is really meant to be eaten instantly.

Jiko was fantastic, one of the best meals of the trip.

Can't wait for the rest of the reviews!

More coming up soon!

Great reviews! We'll be there next week and are eating at Kona Cafe and Via Napoli... that bread pudding at Kona looks AMAZING!

The bread pudding is "technically" from Ohana, but we have ordered it as dessert at Kona several times. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Mmmmmm looking at these reviews is making me hungry! :thumbsup2 The chicken from La Hacienda looks especially good. We are going there in June for dinner and cant wait!

DMom loved the chicken. It is slightly spicy, but the sweetness of the pineapple relish balances it out well.

Just joining in - enjoyed your past reviews and looking forward to more. Glad you enjoyed La Hacienda again . We are going for the 1st time in oct. the shrimp tacos are calling my name. Have you tried the take away from Via Napoli ? My ds13 doesn't like pizza so I canceled my adr last year but thought i might try the take away .

The shrimp tacos are delicious. A great combination of crispy, crunchy, creamy and spicy.

Unfortunately, the Via Napoli take out pizza is NOT the same as the pizza served inside. It is a thivker crust, more like traditional american pizza and the only topping options I saw were cheese or pepperoni. :sad2:

Leaving Walt Disney World is definitely the hardest part of the entire vacation. I'm glad you had a wonderful time and had amazing weather!! And overdosing on magic cookie bars is never a bad thing ;) I'm very excited for your reviews! :banana:

It's always hard to leave Disney, but I'm lucky enough to be returning in 4 months. And the most exciting part is that it is for my best friend (Belle_373's) wedding!!

I'm so excited to stumble upon your report. popcorn:: I followed the link from your post on MickeyNicki's latest thread. I'm looking forward to checking out your blog, too.

Thanks for reading, both here and on my blog! :)

I may be remembering incorrectly, but does the shrimp tempura roll look different? Maybe more black on the outside? Love your reviews!

You are remembering perfectly! They appear to have changed the white nori that they use. It was a bit more savory tasting and had more black flecks on it. I actually liked it better.

That Zellwood corn soup is FANTASTIC!!! My friend ordered it when we were there about 3 weeks ago and it literally tastes like the best sweet corn. Made me wish I had ordered it...although I had the pork belly which was AMAZING!

CA Grill remains one of my faves!

Jill in CO

Isn't it amazing?? It was like summer in a cup. I nearly ordered a full order after tasting the amuse, but I restrained myself...barely :laughing:

Wow, great reviews! Everything looks so delicious and you are so thorough! Was just wondering about getting Ohana's bread pudding at Kona. Love the bread pudding and no Kona dessert looks THAT great to me. Did they offer you the bread pudding or did you have to request it? Was it any trouble?

TIA!:goodvibes

Thanks for reading :)

The dessert is from Ohana, but due to the close proximity of the restaurants we have never had an issue asking for it. We simply ask our server if we could order "Ohana's pineapple bread pudding." I think we have done it 6 times, and have never had an issue.

Weird question for ya...How do you think the Spicy Kazan would be in that new paper? I had planned to ask and see if they could use that instead of the regular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!