~We seldom report of having eaten too little~ Updated 07/14 - Jiko!

Hi guys,

I apologize for the lack of pictures and reviews, I'm having photo uploading issues. I'll try to resolve them ASAP.

We had a lovely dinner and I finally tried karamel kuche!! Omg...caramel heaven!

Nicki, looking forward to seeing you :)

Thanks to everyone for reading and for your patience!

Kona Island Sushi Bar - May 17th​

After a very long travel day, we were very much looking forward to dinner at the Kona Island Sushi Bar. We arrived at 5:30pm and there was no one at the bar or in the seating area. Despite this, the sushi chefs were quite busy preparing take-out orders and orders for Kona Cafe.

We ordered our usual favorites:

IMG_7318.jpg

The Volcano Roll - Tuna, pickled vegetables, spicy shrimp salad, tempura crunch, spicy mayo and edible flowers

IMG_7316.jpg

The Shrimp Tempura Roll - shrimp tempura wrapped in mame nori and served with lilikoi sauce
AND
The California Luau Roll - crab, avocado and pineapple

Everything was wonderful. The volcano roll was about a 4 on a spicy scale of 1 to 10. The Shrimp Tempura Roll was sweet and crunchy and the pineapple adds an unexpected tartness to the california roll.

We also ordered:

IMG_7315.jpg

Hawaiian Bread with Macadamia Nut Butter - otherwise known as the best bread in the world!

IMG_7320.jpg

Pineapple Bread Pudding with Bananas Foster Sauce - otherwise known as the best dessert in the world! The server even brought TWO little pots of caramel sauce :lovestruc

Thanks for reading everyone! We are off to Animal Kingdom this morning. I will updated again later today :goodvibes

Kona Island Sushi Bar - May 17th​

After a very long travel day, we were very much looking forward to dinner at the Kona Island Sushi Bar. We arrived at 5:30pm and there was no one at the bar or in the seating area. Despite this, the sushi chefs were quite busy preparing take-out orders and orders for Kona Cafe.

We ordered our usual favorites:

IMG_7318.jpg

The Volcano Roll - Tuna, pickled vegetables, spicy shrimp salad, tempura crunch, spicy mayo and edible flowers

IMG_7316.jpg

The Shrimp Tempura Roll - shrimp tempura wrapped in mame nori and served with lilikoi sauce
AND
The California Luau Roll - crab, avocado and pineapple

Everything was wonderful. The volcano roll was about a 4 on a spicy scale of 1 to 10. The Shrimp Tempura Roll was sweet and crunchy and the pineapple adds an unexpected tartness to the california roll.

We also ordered:

IMG_7315.jpg

Hawaiian Bread with Macadamia Nut Butter - otherwise known as the best bread in the world!

IMG_7320.jpg

Pineapple Bread Pudding with Bananas Foster Sauce - otherwise known as the best dessert in the world! The server even brought TWO little pots of caramel sauce :lovestruc

Thanks for reading everyone! We are off to Animal Kingdom this morning. I will updated again later today :goodvibes

you can order the dessert and the bread there?!?! huh? OMG- THANK YOU. now i need to do the same. lol.

I am contemplating eating at Kona Sushi Island this June. If I am paying with a dining credit do you know if I could get the bread? How much was the bread just by itself? Thats one of the reasons I want to go to the actual Kona.

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews.

Hi Megan! Todd and I loved meeting you tonight. Hope to see you on Sunday for MK EMH too. How was VN tonight?

I am loving the report...Just a quick question? Are you ok with resort change? I really like the Lodge. Hope you are having a great time.

I'm definitely subbing! I love starting new review threads at the beginning of them. Its too bad your not staying at CRS anymore, we are heading there in June for the first time! I would have liked a opinion on it, haha. I can't wait to read some of your reviews and hope you have a great day in the parks tommorow! :goodvibes

We love CSR :) We have stayed there 14 times since it opened! The issue wasn't huge, but it was enough to really annoy us. When we arrived we were placed in a room that had a view of a pillar, another pillar, and a wall :headache: Looking at the parking lot would have been better :lmao:

When we called the front desk to ask to switch, they told us that there were no other rooms available.....which I didn't believe for a minute. There are almost 2000 rooms at Coronado. We asked again and they insisted. So, we decided that it wasn't the magical experience we were used to, so we asked to be switched to Wilderness Lodge, and here we are!

Oh maybe I'll see you at the Lodge! My friend and I are checking in there tomorrow. (Since I got in so late tonight I just couldn't see spending more than $75 dollars on a room to be leaving it early tomorrow morning)

Hey! Hope you are having a good time so far. We are loving the Lodge :goodvibes maybe we will see you around :)

Glad you made it there ok! Now I'm wondering what happened to your resort reservation :confused: I hope you have fun today!

Thanks! I explained above :)

Glad to see you arrived safe and sound...see you tomorrow LOL

So what happened with the resorts?

Thanks Nicki!

I'm joining in! I can't wait for your amazing reviews! :goodvibes

Glad you are reading, more reviews coming up!

Is that the Ohana Bread Pudding? You can order that at Kona? Why didn't I think of that?

It is! You can order anything from Kona at the Sushi Bar, even the bread, which is free! The bread pudding is available at both Kona and the Sushi Bar as well :cloud9:

I am contemplating eating at Kona Sushi Island this June. If I am paying with a dining credit do you know if I could get the bread? How much was the bread just by itself? Thats one of the reasons I want to go to the actual Kona.

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews.

The bread is free! :thumbsup2

Yum! So much deliciousness in a single post. :thumbsup2

I know, so yummy!

Thanks for reading!

Can't wait to read more! Sounds delicious!

Thank you!

Hi Megan! Todd and I loved meeting you tonight. Hope to see you on Sunday for MK EMH too. How was VN tonight?

Hi Nicki! It was wonderful to meet you and Todd yesterday! I'm glad we finally got to meet after all these years of knowing each other online. I will text you on Sunday because I would love to see you again at MK EMH!

Via Napoli was amazing! Better than the first time we went. It was sooooo good that DDad asked me to get us another reservation there later in the week :rotfl: (Thankfully I was able to!)

I am loving the report...Just a quick question? Are you ok with resort change? I really like the Lodge. Hope you are having a great time.

The resort change took a bit of adjustment, we really do love CSR. However, we love Wilderness Lodge too, this is our 4th stay here :)

OH my goodness!!!!! :love:

What a fantastic meal! :goodvibes

It was wonderful! Thanks for reading.

La Hacienda de San Angel - May 18th

We first tried La Hacienda de San Angel in October 2010 and we loved it! I have to admit, I was reluctant to try it as I have never really cared for San Angel Inn, but I was pleasantly surprised by our first dining experience and was eager to return.

Overall, our meal here was great. The only real issue was organizational in nature. As you approach La Hacienda there is an outdoor podium and a line. When we arrived there were about 15 people in line. We joined and watched as 5 parties ahead of us were turned away as they were inquiring about availability for that night.

By the time we got to the podium we were 15 minutes past our reservation time. No big deal, but a little frustrating considering the parties ahead of us were walk-ups. We were handed our pager and stepped inside to find another podium.

Why not use the outdoor podium for walk-ups and have a sign indicating that guests with reservations should proceed directly inside to check in? :confused3

Anyways, our wait was very short and we were seated in a booth in the main room. The main room is gorgeous and nearly every seat would offer a good view of illuminations.

Our server for the evening, Memo, was very friendly, personable and attentive. We started with drinks, a coke for me and two Sol beers for DMom & DDad.

Memo brought over fresh tortilla chips with two salsas, the milder tomatillo and the spicier chipotle.

I seem to have misplaced my picture for these. I'll add it as soon as I find it!

We shared an order of Queso Fundido to start. This is a salty cheese, melted with poblano peppers and chorizo. It is served with warm flour tortillas. Our only complaint about this dish is that there aren't enough tortillas (only 4!) so we asked for more.

IMG_7387.jpg

This dish reminds me of the cheese & chorizo quesadilla from the Food & Wine Festival. It was good and we would order it again.

Now, ever since October DDad and I have been talking about the wonderful Shrimp Tacos from Hacienda. Served on warm flour tortillas, fried shrimp are topped with cabbage, chipotle-lime aioli and salsa verde.

IMG_7391.jpg

They have changed slightly, and the changes may have been the chef for the night, or they may have been conscious changes. The cabbage was cut thicker and the sauces were not as evenly distributed. There also seemed to be 4 small shrimp per taco as opposed to two larger shrimp in October 2010. Regardless, I still enjoyed them very much and gave them an 8 out of 10. DDad gives them 7 as he was slightly disappointed in the changes, but still felt they were good, just not great.

DMom had the Pollo al Pastor, which is achiote marinated chicken served with roasted vegetables and pineapple relish.

IMG_7389.jpg

She loved this and said that while it had a little spice, it certainly wouldn't be considered spicy.

Each entree at Hacienda is served with rice and refried black beans.

IMG_7390.jpg

While I love the rice, which has a rich tomato flavor, I cannot stand the beans. DMom, DDad and I had a discussion on this.

They describe the flavor of the beans as "earthy" I describe it as "dirt" :lmao: to which DMom replied "well its the best 'dirt' I've ever tasted!" :rotfl:

Overall, we loved the meal and we will be returning again in October.

Subbing! Loving the reviews so far! Love the black beans coment! :lmao: I agree, I don't like beans of any kind! Blech!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter