WDW w/ 13 month old - crazy??

Shelly D.

Mouseketeer
First, I just have to say how excited I am to be back on these boards! I used them years ago to plan a few trips, but haven't been back on in awhile. I'm completely addicted again.

Anyway... DH and I recently had a baby and we can't wait to take her to WDW! We were originally thinking about going when she was two, and possibly going to DL around 15 months as a dry run since it's not as big or overwhelming. Well, tonight my parents announced that they are going to WDW in December and would love us to come along if we're interested. This changes everything in terms of our plans. Our DD will be 13 months old at the time.

My question is for those of you who've made the trek with small babies. Is it crazy to take her when she's so young? Should we just suck it up and wait until the following year? Also, we went in Dec '99 and there were a few cold days. I'm wondering if it's just too cold for a little one that time of year. Can a 13 month old be held on the smaller rides (Fantasyland)?

I would love any advice or opinions to help me and DH decide what to do. I never thought I'd need to "decide" whether or not I wanted to go to WDW! But, everything is so different now that we are three!

Thanks!!!

We have a 1 and 3 year old. My 3 year old went at 7 months for the first time and has been 4 times since. My sons first trip was at 10 months. Never was either one a pain. You can hold them on your lap for almost all rides. Besides the obvious like space and splash mountain, Alien encounter, Big thunder Mountain. Most will let you. Someone told me that they won't remember but you will!!!! Its fun thats all I can say.

We took dd#1 at 14 months old and we were worried, to say the least. It was probably the most ideal age for a small child, at least in my opinion. This was before the fear set in, before she would run and hide from too much stimulus and we loved it!

She adored the characters, adored the rides, loved the parades and was such a joy to watch. (through the tears I was crying out of sheer joy!)

We took it slow and only went with a what-park-when plan and no time constraints at all. On days she needed a nap we went back to the hotel room, but 2 days into it we found out it was easier to let her sleep in the stroller while we shopped or watched shows.

She was so portable and the bonus being that she was so young we never had to pay a dime for her, not at meals, not entry into the parks. CM's treated her like she was the golden child and she got very special individual attention from people in parades and performers not to mention the characters. The pictures are priceless!

Good Luck, I think you'll find it to be a wonderful experience!

Living in a disney_1derland,
Lori

My DD's first trip was when she was 5 mo old. She went again with us when she was 16-17 mo old. We had also taken our DS when he was 15 mo old. Each of these trips were great. As long as you avoid the rides with height restrictions, she will be able to ride on everything else. The thing I loved the most about taking them at that age, was they were so fearless. They loved everything. On my son's trips when he was 2, 3 etc. he was much more afraid of the characters than he was on his first trip at 15 mo.

Go and have a great time.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Take her! We took DD#2 at 14 mons. It was great! She rode on everything without a height restriction and loved the characters. Rode and napped in her stroller. Went back at 21mons. and she was still pretty good. Needed to go back to the room to nap instead of stroller, but still rode everything. Now fast forward to 26 mons. She was a little demon child:o Screamed to get on the rides, screamed when they were over and wanted to run around restaurants to chase the characters. So go now! She was sooo bad we're going back at 35 mons. for more torture LOL! :rolleyes: Anyway, she'll love it, go!

I took my DDs at 5 months and 18 months for their first trip and at least once almost every year there after. How did it go? I am taking my DGS at 19 months in just 9 more days!!! The memories are priceless! Also you can't beat the cost of taking a child under 3 to WDW.

All three of my girls had been to Disney by the time they were 14 months old!!! It really isn't that bad - in fact, we enjoyed bringing the little ones! They make you stop and smell the roses! My DDs pointed out things that we may have missed - the pretty flowers, the little duck, etc. Seeing them hug the characters - it was priceless!!!

I would also suggest to go! You'll have a great time!!! Just take it at their pace - and you'll love doing Disney with her!

We just returned from a trip with our 3-1/2 yr old and 14 month old. The 14 month old was the easy one!!! My 3-1/2 year old was scared of EVERYTHING! Our 14 month old went on everything that didn't have a height restriction and absolutely loved the characters. He ran up to pooh, grabbed on and buried his face into him, lol! It was the cutest thing! We had trouble getting him to let go :)

We drove down (from NJ) and let the kids out to play at McDonalds and Burger king playplaces. He did great in the car which I didn't expect because he his very active. We did, however, have to listen to his barney tapes over and over and over and over... lol!

We were in the parks from open to close but took a break day every two days. The only problem we had was that since our 14 month old spent a lot of time in his stroller, he still needed to burn off some energy back at the hotel when the rest of us were exhausted. Otherwise, we had a perfect time!

I have no advice, since this is our first time with an infant also. I just wanted to say that we may be there at the same time in December and our DD will be 13 months old too! Her birthday is Nov 18.

We are so excited to take her. We saw fireworks for the first time over the 4th and she loved them. We are planning on taking it slow and letting her sleep in her stroller when she needs to.

Good luck and have a great time!

DH and I went to WDW before we were married - weren't going to take our kids untill they were 5! LOL - our twins were 26 months for their first trip, and our youngest was 4 mos at DL, then 16 mos at WDW. In some ways it was much easier to take them at that age than the 9 & 6 they are now. They didn't have an opion about what they wanted to do, and they slept when they were tired, instead of moaning that their "knees are breaking."

Go, have a wonderful time. You'll create memories to cherish for years!

Well, I think you have your answer! LOL We brought my dd to WDW the first time at not quite 6 months...she loved it! We didn't go again until she was 22 months, so I can't say about the time in between though.

I call tomorrow to schedule my next baby's first trip...baby should be about 2.5 months by the time we go...and the second trip will be at about 6 months. I mean, these trips are really for me, dh and our older kids....but it will be so easy with a tiny baby, just put on the sling and go! And I'm sure we'll be taking this baby at around a year old or so as well....and, well, at every age!

Have fun!

Our son was 18 mos. old for our recent trip to DisneyLand and will be 25 mos. for our upcoming trip to DisneyWorld. He had a blast in DisneyLand.

My advice: If flying for a long distance, get your child his/her own seat on the airplane (some airlines offer seats at 1/2 off for under 2) -- just take the FAA-approved car seat and strap it into the airplane seat. If driving, have one adult sit in the backseat to help keep your child entertained -- beg/borrow/steal a portable VCR for the trip if he/she will watch it!

When at the parks, take a break and go back to the hotel at naptime. My son can usually last until around 3 p.m. when we head back to the hotel for a nap, have dinner, and then he's ready to go night-time parades and fireworks.

EthansMom

Thank you, thank you, thank you all! These responses have been so positive and encouraging, how can we NOT go?

Thanks to everyone for replying. I read them all to DH and he's on board with the trip! I've already picked up so many tips on this board. I know we wouldn't even attempt this trip if I didn't have these boards available for research!

Athena's Mommy - DD will be 1 on 11/9! What dates will you be there? I'm sure we'll be crossing paths on this board gathering info!

Shelly,

I am so glad you decided to go...you will have such wonderful memories.

We will be there from Dec 10 - Dec 22. We are staying at the AKL for the first 3 nights, then on to our time-share in Kissimmee. Our babes are only 9 days apart! Hopefully we will run into each other. Wear your lime green ribbon! When are you going?

Lisa

If you are crazy then we are crazier!

We took dd at 3-1/2 months, 7-1/2 months, soon to be 12-1/2 months and then at 14 months in Decmber. She will be 10 months on friday.

It's great, you will love it!

Denine - glad to know I'm not the craziest!;)

Lisa - We haven't nailed down details yet, but I think we're looking at 12/7-12/13. We'll probably end up in one of the moderates. Right now I'm leaning toward PO. I would LOVE to stay in a monorail resort because it would be so easy with the baby, but they are pretty $$$. My husband and I stayed at AKL last year for a last minute "fling" before baby. It was a great place to stay and I can't wait to go back. Your DD will love all the animals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter