WDW Vet on a DL/DCA Solo Visit - One Day Only

momof2cutegirls

DIS Veteran
Been a while since I've posted on these boards, and never on the DL side. Looks like I'll be headed to Long Beach for work, and I see that Disneyland is only 25 minutes away. I was shocked when my husband said, "You should go a day early and check out Disneyland." So I'm just starting to look into it. My one day visit would be in early February, and we've never been to Disneyland.

Should I do a park hopper or stick with one park?
Thinking I'd like to make a TS reservation...where? Cafe Orleans & Blue Bayou caught my eye but would love to hear other recommendations.

Any scoop y'all can give me would be great. I will probably feel very guilty with my family not there, but think I can manage to have a great day! :)

I moved your thread so that you would get more traffic and answers. :)

Start by reading this thread: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. You'll find lots of good information there.

Be aware that February can have shorter hours and more rides down for refurbs. On the bright side, crowds should be lower (although DLR is never a ghost town anymore), so you can get a lot done, even with shorter hours. And the MSEP will be running at DL nightly, so that should be fun. If you just want to experience DLR and don't have to ride/see everything, I think a hopper would be fine. The 2 parks are so close together (think the length of a football field), that hopping is quite easy. Cars Land is so worth seeing, especially at night. And FPs (legacy paper) are not linked between the parks, so you could hold FPs for 2 rides at the same time. If you can only choose one park, I'd go with DL. Seeing Walt's original park, the only one he ever saw and walked in, is a magical experience. DL wasn't built to be big and impressive, but charming and warm. This original park was Walt's dream, and it shows in all the details. For table service, I'd go with Blue Bayou. The food isn't the main draw here, although it is for some people, but the ambience can't be beat. Book an early time and ask to be seated by the water. (You can book later and make this same request, but you might end up waiting a while for a table.) There may be dining packages for MSEP viewing -- keep checking if you're interested in that. If you've seen the parade and want something totally new, try WOC with a dining package or the dessert party. Don't feel guilty about a solo visit. Enjoy every moment and think of it as reconnaissance for a future visit with your family!

If you book Blue Bayou, make sure you ride Pirates first. I will never forget my first ride on DL Pirates. I would definitely do a park hopper, even if just for Carsland and Radiator Springs Racers. Watch Cars before you go if it's been awhile.
It's hard to cram everything in one day, but it can be done for a WDW vet if you focus on the attractions that are unique or better.
Fantasyland has 6 attractions unique to DL. If you get to Fantasyland at Rope drop, the rest of the crowd goes to Peter Pan (Too identical to be worth the massive wait), the others are SO close together you can knock out Alice, Mr Toad, Pinocchio, Snow White & Storybook Canals in no time and then move on to another part of the park. Casey Jr Circus train is the 6th, a cute ride but you can see what it is without getting on.
Whatever you do, don't miss Indiana Jones or Radiator Springs Racers, they are the best themed unique attractions.
Also, there are more single rider lines at DL that you could take advantage of: Indy, Racers, California Screamin, Soarin, Splash, and a few others.
Have a great time!

Should I do a park hopper or stick with one park?
Park hopper is a must.
You can get fast passes for rides at both parks at the same time. Radiator Springs usually needs a fast pass, but they have a solo rider line that usually moves quickly. Soarin is a good ride to get a Fast Pass for.
In DL, Fast passes for Star Tours, Space Mountain, Indiana Jones.

A 1-day park hopper ticket is about $150-$169, depending on if the day of your visit is a value day or a peak day. It's pretty expensive. Stick to 1 park and make it DL, especially if you are going to do TS for a meal.

DL has single rider line for Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, and Splash Mountain. So you can do those without FP's. FP's at DL are available on the following attractions:
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Buzz Lightyear
Haunted Mansion - well, they have FP for it right now, but HM FP does not occur all year round.
Space Mountain
Indiana Jones
Roger Rabbit
Splash Mountain
Star Tours

Definitely get a park hopper. It is worth the 40 bucks to simply walk into DCA and see the various lands (and there is great quick service food there). Carsland at night is amazing. It is not something you are going to want to miss. You will be shocked at how much you can get done when you are by yourself. My must not miss rides are RSR, Indiana Jones, Big Thunder, Grizzly River and Pirates. I just don't care for Fantasy Land. No matter how many times I have been there I can never figure out where I am going because it is so compressed. But most people love it.

A 1-day park hopper ticket is about $150-$169, depending on if the day of your visit is a value day or a peak day. It's pretty expensive. Stick to 1 park and make it DL, especially if you are going to do TS for a meal.

DL has single rider line for Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, and Splash Mountain. So you can do those without FP's. FP's at DL are available on the following attractions:
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Buzz Lightyear
Haunted Mansion - well, they have FP for it right now, but HM FP does not occur all year round.
Space Mountain
Indiana Jones
Roger Rabbit
Splash Mountain
Star Tours

I agree with VandV'smama. Just do Disneyland and take your time getting to know the park and it's vast differences between it and WDW. There are so many rides that you can experience that are not at WDW and the New Orleans area is so cool. Have lunch or dinner at Cafe Orleans and have them sit you outside near the walkway. This is the best for people watching especially for a solo traveler and they almost always have a jazz band playing. Be sure to check out Fantasyland! There are at least 5 rides there that are not at WDW. Also don't forget to take a ride on the monorail. This is more of an attraction than used for transportation and it gives you an excellent view of the park and parts of California Adventure and Downtown Disney. I love doing solo trips to DL. Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter