WDW on Peritoneal Dialysis

Newfie2000

<font color=green>Doesn't anyone make split pea so
We are getting ready to attempt a 7 day trip to WDW. There is a party of three of us and one of our members does peritoneal dialysis. He does exchanges approximately every three hours. From what I understand there are medical stations available where he can do his exchanges.

But in order to do an exchange he needs to bring bags of dialysis solution into the park. How do I go about doing this? Im assuming I will need special consent and whatever else?

Also because he needs to do these exchanges so often and each exchange can take 40 minutes, obviously our time is limited and standing in lines will further reduce the possibility of going on rides. He is also using a ecv, due to other physical issues and limitations. Do you think I can qualify for a DAS?

Please if anyone has any experience with these matters - Id' love to hear from you... be it good or bad.

I don't think you should have any trouble bringing your supplies into the parks; there are no restrictions on liquids or medical supplies. There is one First Aid location in each park where he can get privacy.

As to DAS... you are welcome to ask, but DAS is not intended to provide short waits for those with limited time. It's to help those who have problems being physically within a queue environment. The majority of attractions have accessible queues for the ECV; a couple will require him to transfer to a manual wheelchair; and a few may give a "wheelchair return time" to use an alternate entrance (you'll be directed accordingly at the attraction).

Information about DAS can be found here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/wd...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/ Just read the first post, the rest was discussion at the time the program launched.

Enjoy your vacation!

1We are getting ready to attempt a 7 day trip to WDW. There is a party of three of us and one of our members does peritoneal dialysis. He does exchanges approximately every three hours. From what I understand there are medical stations available where he can do his exchanges.

2 But in order to do an exchange he needs to bring bags of dialysis solution into the park. How do I go about doing this? Im assuming I will need special consent and whatever else?

3 Also because he needs to do these exchanges so often and each exchange can take 40 minutes, obviously our time is limited and standing in lines will further reduce the possibility of going on rides. He is also using a ecv, due to other physical issues and limitations. Do you think I can qualify for a DAS?

Please if anyone has any experience with these matters - Id' love to hear from you... be it good or bad.
1 yes first aid is available for this and you can keep his things in First aid too so you do not have to have it with you all day long.

2 I would not think you will have any problems being what he needs into the park I would just let the person checking your bag that you have medical stuff ( they may not even care) dinsney dose allow you to bring in food and luquieds in to the park ( it is not like the 3oz TSA lest you)

3 about the DAS you can go to GR and talk to them about your/ your friends need and see what they suggest I was behind a guest one time that ( and no I was not trying to listen on his conversation ) but his park time was limited they did not Gove him a DAS card but gave the person 3 extra FP for each day of his trip ( agin I did not hear every thing but this may be an option for you, not sure if it was a one time thing or what not just what I heard)

his park time was limited they did not Gove him a DAS card but gave the person 3 extra FP for each day of his trip ( agin I did not hear every thing but this may be an option for you, not sure if it was a one time thing or what not just what I heard)

I'm sorry, this is not very good advice at all! Extra pixie-dust may occur, but when people start posting that extra was received, others begin to expect and ask for it. This is by no means a standard accommodation for anyone who has limited time in the parks.

OP -- again, feel free to discuss your needs with Guest Relations. Nobody else can determine whether a DAS will be given. I do suggest you make good use of your FP+ selections; FP+ should be planned even if one uses a DAS. A touring plan can also be worthwhile so that something to look into as well.

Enjoy your vacation!

I'm sorry, this is not very good advice at all! Extra pixie-dust may occur, but when people start posting that extra was received, others begin to expect and ask for it. This is by no means a standard accommodation for anyone who has limited time in the parks.

OP -- again, feel free to discuss your needs with Guest Relations. Nobody else can determine whether a DAS will be given. I do suggest you make good use of your FP+ selections; FP+ should be planned even if one uses a DAS. A touring plan can also be worthwhile so that something to look into as well.

Enjoy your vacation!
I was giving the PP an option to talk to Gr about but just like with the DAS card they CM at GR can say no to it, It is up to the PP and GR to talk about the best way to help the person with a Disability in the park, the DAS card is just the normal/ used about 99% of the time. why they help guest out. I thought I said/ was clear in the fact that only GR can say if a disability will get an accommodation or not ( or what type)

Thank you so much for your advice!
It is a huge help to know that I can leave his supplies at First Aid. One days supply worth of fluid is 45 pounds, so I am super relieved to know I do not have to tote it around.

I find it hard to believe that some people are so judgemental about this being a disability or deserving of special treatment. I'd like to ask those same people if they would pay entry into a park, to know full well they are going to spend a great deal of their park time in the first aid area, they will have to tote around 45 pounds worth of supplies from the hotel to the park, along with a scooter etc. Stopping to eat regular meals is an absolute must as he needs an unbelievable amount of protein each day - in order to get that protein he must be provided better than average meals which require reservations.
So not try to balance fast pass times, treatment times, reservation times we are honestly lucky to get to two rides a day.
And if you know anything about chronic serious illness you realize there are a host of other issues, mobility, balance, nausea, inability to be in the sun due to meds etc --- including the very high possibility that I am guessing on a minimum of two of those seven days he will either be so exhausted or sick that we will never even get into the park wasting our tickets and paying for cancellations fees on meal reservations at the last minute.
Please people realize I was not looking for handouts, or expecting miracles... I just keep hearing about what a magical place Disney is and was hoping for some answers/compassion!

I just keep hearing about what a magical place Disney is and was hoping for some answers/compassion!

Disney IS a magical place and they will take care of you. I notice a lot of discouragement on here when anyone asks about DAS. Nobody here makes any decisions. Just go talk to Guest Services at the first park you go to. They are the only ones who can make decisions, and they make fair ones.

Hope you have a magical trip!

It is a huge help to know that I can leave his supplies at First Aid. One days supply worth of fluid is 45 pounds, so I am super relieved to know I do not have to tote it around.

I find it hard to believe that some people are so judgemental about this being a disability or deserving of special treatment. I'd like to ask those same people if they would pay entry into a park, to know full well they are going to spend a great deal of their park time in the first aid area, they will have to tote around 45 pounds worth of supplies from the hotel to the park, along with a scooter etc. Stopping to eat regular meals is an absolute must as he needs an unbelievable amount of protein each day - in order to get that protein he must be provided better than average meals which require reservations.
So not try to balance fast pass times, treatment times, reservation times we are honestly lucky to get to two rides a day.
And if you know anything about chronic serious illness you realize there are a host of other issues, mobility, balance, nausea, inability to be in the sun due to meds etc --- including the very high possibility that I am guessing on a minimum of two of those seven days he will either be so exhausted or sick that we will never even get into the park wasting our tickets and paying for cancellations fees on meal reservations at the last minute.
Please people realize I was not looking for handouts, or expecting miracles... I just keep hearing about what a magical place Disney is and was hoping for some answers/compassion!
Actually many of the people here have chronic illnesses or travel with family who have chronic illnesses that mean they do not spend as much time touring the parks, have to be flexible with their plans, have special diets that may require sit down meals or eating at certain times, carrying medicine or medical equipment- that is why we know so much about the topic of touring with disabilities. No one was mean to you just realistic.

most people on here have a disability or know someone with one, I can not think of a trip where I have been for more then 2 days with out having the paramedics called for me and going to the hospital on more then one trip to Disney too so I know all about park time being taken away from you due to medical problems. my suggestion to you is too go to GR and think about what (s)he needs lines or what type of acoomidation they need at the park and talk to GR ( since none of us are the GR CM you will talk to we can not say for sure what you will get) there is a change they will say you will get a DAS card and there is a chance they will say no.

about missing ADR if you do because of some medical problems I would let the place know I have heard that they some times wave the free ( I think it is $10) but this is some times. and you would be surprised who much protein you can get at QS places you can go to Disney and look up the manuse to QS and sit down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter