• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW in Walking Boot?

Mango7100

DIS Veteran
DH and I are leaving Saturday for a quick WDW trip before our APs expire to mainly do Flower and Garden. Just returned from the doctor in a walking boot due a foot sprain and non displaced fracture of a tarsal bone—apparently walking on the flat sidewalk was too hard for me yesterday 🤦‍♀️ Is a walking boot that cumbersome for those who have experience with it at WDW? I also have a knee scooter I can use but will just have to wear the boot all day as well. We do not have time to reschedule due to APs expiring in less than a month. Any ride restrictions? Thanks!

My wife had to do it 5-7 years ago on at least one of our weekly trip due to a stress fracture. I'm not sure how she made it through all 4 parks with it on all week, but she did. We walked slower than normal but she didn't skip out on any rides that she would normally do. I don't know about Tron with a boot, but that's the only thing I could think may have an issue. We also don't do Kali River Rapids.

DH and I are leaving Saturday for a quick WDW trip before our APs expire to mainly do Flower and Garden. Just returned from the doctor in a walking boot due a foot sprain and non displaced fracture of a tarsal bone—apparently walking on the flat sidewalk was too hard for me yesterday 🤦‍♀️ Is a walking boot that cumbersome for those who have experience with it at WDW? I also have a knee scooter I can use but will just have to wear the boot all day as well. We do not have time to reschedule due to APs expiring in less than a month. Any ride restrictions? Thanks!
I'd highly recommend skipping the knee scooter. It's miserable. Would your hubby be willing to push you in a manual wheel chair? I've done the walking boot many times at Disney and it SUCKS.

My wife had to do it 5-7 years ago on at least one of our weekly trip due to a stress fracture. I'm not sure how she made it through all 4 parks with it on all week, but she did. We walked slower than normal but she didn't skip out on any rides that she would normally do. I don't know about Tron with a boot, but that's the only thing I could think may have an issue. We also don't do Kali River Rapids.
Ok! We don’t do water rides anyway! I forgot about Trin and the leg restraints

I'd highly recommend skipping the knee scooter. It's miserable. Would your hubby be willing to push you in a manual wheel chair? I've done the walking boot many times at Disney and it SUCKS.
He would be willing but I won’t let him because he was born with a heart condition and has to watch his exertion. He can walk around fine but pushing me as well maybe too much! I wasn’t sure if the knee scooter or just the boot would be better. I’m a fast walker, so maybe the boot slowing me down will make him happy ha!

RENT THE SCOOTER! Im in a walking boot right now after falling at Disney World during our spring break trip. I work as a para at a high school and am using a knee scooter at work. At the end of a long day my leg muscles are so tired. After I fell in the middle of my trip I rented a scooter at the parks each day, but it was busy and the scooters sold out every day, so we had to change our plans to rope drop every day. I highly recommend renting one from a different company like Gold Mobility before your trip, so you will be sure to have one.

It was very painful for me. You don’t walk evenly in a boot so it throws off your gait and is stressful on the hips and back. I did use a knee scooter, and I didn’t think it was a big deal but still not great, but I left it at BW one evening to run to Epcot for food. I got to Norway, and I threatened to make DS run back for my leg scooter or to go rent me a wheelchair. I was in pain the rest of the trip. Do not recommend. If I did it again I’d rent an offsite scooter.

I agree with the other posters saying that a walking boot makes you walk different and pain will show up in other areas of your body. I have used a walking boot 3 times in the past for multiple months (and will again this fall) and it has really done lasting damage on my knee/hip/back.

I would recommend renting an off-site scooter that way you have in anywhere you go, not just inside the park. We don't go to WDW often but the last time I rented a 3 wheel scooter from an outside vendor. Before going the thought of using one really worried me but once I was there I realized it was the best decision of the entire trip. I could do more with less pain, it made the vacation so much more enjoyable.

I definitely agree with everyone who has pointed out how a walking boot affects your gait, which in turn will put a lot of stress on your hips and back. Even if you don’t feel too bad at the time, your body will absolutely remember that stress at some point in life. Rent a scooter. Be happy that you can hop off and walk shorter distances when it is practical, such as winding through some shops or restaurants and have a wonderful trip.

So I’ve done both WDW and DLR in a walking boot. I had a severe stress fracture from marathon training. Stupidly decided to take the boot off and run the WDW marathon. Definitely paid for it but I did manage to hobble along during a 10-day trip. Should I have used a wheelchair or scooter…yes because it delayed my healing by 3 months and I ended up in a fiberglass cast as a result.

At DLR, I was in a boot for the same reason op is…fractured 5th tarsal bone. I also had a knee scooter but after using it the first day, had to ditch it and rent a wheelchair (DH is too cheap to do a scooter and pushed me😂). That knee scooter was agony despite having an extra cushion and lambs wool. I cannot imagine how I’d do another trip at WDW in a boot after that last fracture. I’d def Italy rent a scooter!

He would be willing but I won’t let him because he was born with a heart condition and has to watch his exertion. He can walk around fine but pushing me as well maybe too much! I wasn’t sure if the knee scooter or just the boot would be better. I’m a fast walker, so maybe the boot slowing me down will make him happy ha!
I hear you. I'd also recommend renting a scooter! Hope you have a good trip, no matter what you decide!

Thanks all! I have tried the knee scooter just around outside and that thing is awful! Not happening for 3 days in the park. Weird thing is my injured foot actually feels better than the rest of me after walking with a heavy boot that makes one leg about 2 inches taller than the other! I swear the boot is making it worse in some ways. I am going to go with a rental scooter, bring the boot, ordered a shoe riser to put on my other shoe to make me level, and also bring a different foot brace.

That’s a good call. I did Disneyland in a boot one year (fell down some stairs the night before our flight!). My husband and son took turns pushing me in the wheelchair and it was a lot for them.

Another Disneyland trip my husband had a broken foot. Funny how all our trips in a boot happen in Land and not World. Anyway, we rented a scooter for him and that was really perfect. I was not about to push him in a wheelchair. EVC rental is the way to go and have it delivered to your hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter