WDW hotel rooms with walk in showers?

cathyb93

Little Green Man Fan
Hello all!

Posting this on behalf of my mum. She uses a walker, and will be using an ECV, but can walk short distances. We're currently looking at hotels for November/December, and having some trouble finding out which standard rooms at any of the Disney or disney springs hotels have walk in showers?

She doesn't need an accessible room if the shower is a walk in rather than a tub/shower combo.

I know for example some deluxe villas have walk-ins by default, but hoping some knowledgable folks on here could help us out!

It will be our first trip to WDW, and we're from Australia.

Thank you in advance, this board has been so informative already! :flower3:

Stayed at B Resort in an accessible room but the only nod to it was the auto-close door to room and the bathroom. We didn't need those things but sure loved the bathroom and was easier with showering DS.

DisneyOctobet2014I659.jpg

Disney%20Octobet%202014%20I%20660.jpg

Art of Animation SUITES, this would be the bath off the bedroom

DisneySept12AOATourampDTDetc022.jpg

Wow, thank you HopperFan for those photos!!

And I'll look into that, thanks disney144 :)

The second shower in the Poly villa is basically walk-in:
cdsad65.jpg

This is super helpful, we were looking at the Poly villas! Mum's really attached to the Contemporary already because of the walking distance to MK, but I'm personally leaning towards the Poly. This helps my case a lot! :D

The Grand Flordian Villa studios have a walk in shower but why not ask for a room with a roll in shower? Then you can choose any resort.

The Grand Flordian Villa studios have a walk in shower but why not ask for a room with a roll in shower? Then you can choose any resort.

True! I think she just wants to know all of her options, and accessible room options can be kind of limited sometimes (not at WDW, but in her experience when travelling generally), so knowing which rooms are available to her helps her decide. And thanks for letting me know about the GF :)

Since you are from "down under", the USA has something called the ADA requirements which defines an accessible shower as requiring no step down or up to enter aka a roll in / no step entry.

So if your Mum can step up or down one step then there are a couple of options without you needing to reserve and ADA capable room if not needed. Let us know if she can step up or down one step vs what I call climbing into the tub to use a shower.

Dave

Since you are from "down under", the USA has something called the ADA requirements which defines an accessible shower as requiring no step down or up to enter aka a roll in / no step entry.

So if your Mum can step up or down one step then there are a couple of options without you needing to reserve and ADA capable room if not needed. Let us know if she can step up or down one step vs what I call climbing into the tub to use a shower.

Dave

Hi Dave! She can step up or down one step, but cannot step over the edge of a tub.

True! I think she just wants to know all of her options, and accessible room options can be kind of limited sometimes (not at WDW, but in her experience when travelling generally), so knowing which rooms are available to her helps her decide. And thanks for letting me know about the GF :)

I understand. I get an accessible room with roll in shower as a wheelchair user. Whats nice is extra room to charge your ECV device and a wider door!

I understand. I get an accessible room with roll in shower as a wheelchair user. Whats nice is extra room to charge your ECV device and a wider door!

That's something I hadn't considered - she asked me to research room sizes of normal rooms, but accessible rooms have wider doors!! We don't even know if ECVs fit through the normal doors, aah! Thanks for bringing that up and giving me something to consider that neither of us had thought of!

Which WDW hotels have you stayed at? Would be great to hear your thoughts on the accessible rooms you've stayed in :)

almost all the one bedroom, two bedroom and grand villa's DVC rooms have a walk in shower (level or just one step) in the master bedroom. Treehouses included.

That's something I hadn't considered - she asked me to research room sizes of normal rooms, but accessible rooms have wider doors!! We don't even know if ECVs fit through the normal doors, aah! Thanks for bringing that up and giving me something to consider that neither of us had thought of!

Which WDW hotels have you stayed at? Would be great to hear your thoughts on the accessible rooms you've stayed in :)

We are DVC members but have stayed at Disney non DVC hotel's as well. Here is the list.

All Stars Movies
Art of Animation
Port Orleans both River and French Quarter
Coronado Springs
DVC Animal Kingdom Kidani & Jambo
DVC Beach Club Villas
DVC Wilderness Lodge ( Now Boulder Creek )
DVC Saratoga Springs ( home resort )
DVC Grand Floridian Villas ( home resort )
DVC Vero Beach
DCL The Dream!

Loved them all.. All good showers. Art of Animation was good but long walk from Little Mermaid rooms and no preferred room options. Better to opt for preferred locations at All Stars and Conorado Springs.

We love Saratoga as we love access to Disney Springs. Easy across the bridge or boat with the ECV. Port Orleans has a nice boat to DS. Plus of course the Grand on the monorail. Hope this helps.

The second shower in the Poly villa is basically walk-in:
cdsad65.jpg
Just to clarify, the GFV
The GV and Poly Studios both have step-shower in a std DVC Studio. A small raised step aka a drain basin edge that you have to step over. All Disney resorts also have ADA rooms with a zero entry aka a direct roll-in room showers that are a specific bookable category.

Many confuse a walk-in shower that actually is a shower stall that has a raised basain step-in, up or downs small step to prevent / contain water collection or prevent water running all over the bathroom.

Dave

We are DVC members but have stayed at Disney non DVC hotel's as well. Here is the list.

All Stars Movies
Art of Animation
Port Orleans both River and French Quarter
Coronado Springs
DVC Animal Kingdom Kidani & Jambo
DVC Beach Club Villas
DVC Wilderness Lodge ( Now Boulder Creek )
DVC Saratoga Springs ( home resort )
DVC Grand Floridian Villas ( home resort )
DVC Vero Beach
DCL The Dream!

Loved them all.. All good showers. Art of Animation was good but long walk from Little Mermaid rooms and no preferred room options. Better to opt for preferred locations at All Stars and Conorado Springs.

We love Saratoga as we love access to Disney Springs. Easy across the bridge or boat with the ECV. Port Orleans has a nice boat to DS. Plus of course the Grand on the monorail. Hope this helps.

It does help, thank you!! I love the idea of access to Disney Springs, but Mum really wants to be close to the MK, so we're probably looking at GF, Contemporary or Poly. Also looking to rent points as the DVC villas look so lovely!

It does help, thank you!! I love the idea of access to Disney Springs, but Mum really wants to be close to the MK, so we're probably looking at GF, Contemporary or Poly. Also looking to rent points as the DVC villas look so lovely!
VGF is almost always an 11-month booking, and you have to find an owner renting their points. They typically charge $15-18 per point, because VGF is hard to get. It is especially challenging in December.

Just to clarify, the GFV
The GV and Poly Studios both have step-shower in a std DVC Studio. A small raised step aka a drain basin edge that you have to step over. All Disney resorts also have ADA rooms with a zero entry aka a direct roll-in room showers that are a specific bookable category.

Many confuse a walk-in shower that actually is a shower stall that has a raised basain step-in, up or downs small step to prevent / contain water collection or prevent water running all over the bathroom.

Dave

Thanks so much Dave!! Yeah, a step-in shower is preferable as we've had too many mishaps with roll-ins and water all over the floor (which is pretty hazardous for people with disabilities, but basically inevitable in disabled rooms!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter