WDW before/after or not at all with PC 4.0

Disney Dad Canada

Passing on my Disney obsession to my 3 kids, and a
Just wondering what people would suggest for myself and my 3 kids, who will be 12, 8 and 8 at the time of podcast cruise 4.0. Do WDW beforehand, afterwards, or just go for the cruise.

We are DVC members and are flying in from Toronto.

Thanks for all the advice and opinions.

It is usually advised to do the "stress" of WDW first then relax on the cruise.

The podcast cruisers might have social events at WDW after the cruise like a "drink around the world".

When I did the four night PCC 2.0, I did a week at WDW first, three more nights. It was my first ever two week vacation since I was a kid on summer vacation from school.

How long can your kids be out of school?

It is usually advised to do the "stress" of WDW first then relax on the cruise.

The podcast cruisers might have social events at WDW after the cruise like a "drink around the world".

When I did the four night PCC 2.0, I did a week at WDW first, three more nights. It was my first ever two week vacation since I was a kid on summer vacation from school.

How long can your kids be out of school?

That's what we did last week, WDW then cruise. We're going this year from Dec 31st to Jan 11th at BLT, so we could still use our APs on that trip.

Our school is very good at letting the kids out. Being a small K-6 school (155 students total), and with me being VP of the PTA, everyone knows everyone. As long as the kids grades are okay, we're free to go.

That's what we did last week, WDW then cruise. We're going this year from Dec 31st to Jan 11th at BLT, so we could still use our APs on that trip.

Our school is very good at letting the kids out. Being a small K-6 school (155 students total), and with me being VP of the PTA, everyone knows everyone. As long as the kids grades are okay, we're free to go.

We do WDW after PCC. DD college finals end Thurs, so just have a couple days to get to cruise. Probably will head strainght home this time.

For 2.0 we had 2 nights before and 2 nights after, 4.0 is longer though. We'll do 1 night before and I'd actually prefer to go right from the ship to the airport. but it's a long ways off, I may change my mind by then.

I'd love to be able to go to WDW either before or after the cruise but with it being a 7 niter we will probably come in the day before and stay with friends that night and then go straight home after the cruise. We'll have to plan another trip to the World!

I think we are constitutionally incapable of doing the cruise and not going to WDW. :)

I know we will add a few nights pre- or post-cruise. Perhaps both ends.

Although not specific to this cruise, I prefer to arrive in the port city the night before the ship sails (rather than the sailing date) just so I don't have to stress about an early flight that day and risk difficulties with the flights. So, at a minimum we will be down the day before.

Funny, I can't even recall what day we are leaving on this one. Saturday? Sunday?

I think we are constitutionally incapable of doing the cruise and not going to WDW. :)

Well I have a different constitution. :)

Maybe a meetup in WDW before the cruise is in order. What about a DIS Hoop De Doo night?

Our cruise leaves on Saturday, returns on Friday.

If I had my way (time off and money), I would take off work for the whole week before the cruise to do WDW.
I do not have DVC or annual pass. Tickets are kind of expensive to do Disney for just a few days.

Shortest scenario would be to arrive Friday, day before. Very shortest would be to stay overnight near the airport.

After the cruise - sister is not too interested in WDW. We are considering renting a car for a few days, staying off property (cheaper motel), doing a day at Sea World. Go on WDW property to resort hop. Meal, Yee Ha Bob. Maybe Fort Wilderness Segway tour.

I would be interested in a Yee Ha Bob or Jellyrolls meet. Either I would like over DATW, but that's just me.

Thanks Lyn, that's good to know. Then we'd probably arrive on Thursday, leave on Sunday - it's nice to have a little "wiggle room."

This time I think we are going to arrive sometime Friday Evening, probably stay at the Swan or Dolphin (depending on which one the Team gets a deal for), then stay a couple of days after the cruise and fly back home on Sunday.

Can't be that close and not go to the MK or EPCOT....just sayin....

Well I have a different constitution. :)

Maybe a meetup in WDW before the cruise is in order. What about a DIS Hoop De Doo night?

I would love that, but I don't think we will get there in enough time......by the way.....you know the rules...you mentioned it....you're in charge of it....just sayin :goodvibes

Our cruise leaves on Saturday, returns on Friday.

Our cruise is Saturday to Saturday - Dec. 8-15. I plan to activate my annual pass on Dec. 7, 2011 so that it will end on Dec. 7, 2012 - the day before the cruise. Depending on airfare - I will fly home the day the cruise ends, or maybe stick around for a few days and go to Universal.

Day Port Ashore Onboard
1 Port Canaveral, Florida — 3:45 p.m.
2 At Sea — —
3 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 10:30 a.m. 4:00 p.m.*
4 Costa Maya, Mexico 12:45 p.m. 5:30 p.m.
5 Cozumel, Mexico 8:30 a.m. 5:30 p.m.
6 At Sea — —
7 Castaway Cay 9:30 a.m. 4:30 p.m.
8 Port Canaveral, Florida 7:30 a.m.

**I didn't actually answer the question! I plan to spend at least a week at WDW pre-cruise to get every last day out of my annual pass!

This time I think we are going to arrive sometime Friday Evening, probably stay at the Swan or Dolphin (depending on which one the Team gets a deal for),....

That's our plan for arrival. Haven't decided if we're leaving right away, or staying for a day or two. [Of course thngs can change].

Thanks for posting the itinerary, Nancy. I guess I was thinking Friday night and got confused.

I do not have an annual pass, purchasing just a few days of WDW is kind of expensive. I will either do a full week at WDW pre-cruise (anyone want to share a room?) or just a night or two before and after the cruise.

My minimum plan -
Pre-cruise – Fly in Friday night and stay near MCO or port. Anyone want to share transportation?
Post-cruise – Rent a car and drive to Sea World Saturday. Sleep off property. Maybe Yee Ha Bob Saturday night. Fly home Sunday.

What will is cost to rent a car for just two days? Will I be able to rent at port and return at the airport?

Can Sea World be properly appreciated in one day? Really just part of a day since we do not get there until mid-morning.

Thanks for posting the itinerary, Nancy. I guess I was thinking Friday night and got confused.

I do not have an annual pass, purchasing just a few days of WDW is kind of expensive. I will either do a full week at WDW pre-cruise (anyone want to share a room?) or just a night or two before and after the cruise.

My minimum plan -
Pre-cruise – Fly in Friday night and stay near MCO or port. Anyone want to share transportation?
Post-cruise – Rent a car and drive to Sea World Saturday. Sleep off property. Maybe Yee Ha Bob Saturday night. Fly home Sunday.

What will is cost to rent a car for just two days? Will I be able to rent at port and return at the airport?

Can Sea World be properly appreciated in one day? Really just part of a day since we do not get there until mid-morning.

I have done one-way car rentals between the airport and Cape Canaveral. My one-day Budget rental from CC to Budget at Downtown Disney was ~ $35 including taxes in early March. The price for drop-off at MCO would probably be the same.

I have never been to Sea World, and finally went to Universal for the first time this February.

The first 4 days of a WDW MYW ticket are the most expensive. After that, additional days are only $5 plus tax. Another option is to buy a 10-day non-expiring hopper and use it for 2 or more trips. One 10-day non-expiring park hopper costs less than 2 5-day expiring park hoppers. Buy it from Undercover Tourist before prices go up in August.

This time I think we are going to arrive sometime Friday Evening, probably stay at the Swan or Dolphin (depending on which one the Team gets a deal for), then stay a couple of days after the cruise and fly back home on Sunday.

Can't be that close and not go to the MK or EPCOT....just sayin....

Val & I will probably do something similar.

Then again, we might be retired and living in the WDW area by then so it will be a moot point. :cool1:

I have done one-way car rentals between the airport and Cape Canaveral. My one-day Budget rental from CC to Budget at Downtown Disney was ~ $35 including taxes in early March. The price for drop-off at MCO would probably be the same.

I have never been to Sea World, and finally went to Universal for the first time this February.

The first 4 days of a WDW MYW ticket are the most expensive. After that, additional days are only $5 plus tax. Another option is to buy a 10-day non-expiring hopper and use it for 2 or more trips. One 10-day non-expiring park hopper costs less than 2 5-day expiring park hoppers. Buy it from Undercover Tourist before prices go up in August.

$35 for the rental car would make more sense for a couple days after the cruise than paying $70 for Disney cruise transport from port to WDW. And we would have flexibity to visit a different theme park.

I bought tickets from Undercover Tourist in August for my week long December trips in 2010 and 2008. Really don't want to buy non-expiring tickets. I never know for sure if I will ever go back! So I will only do WDW if I am there for a week. I think...

All this is a year and a half away!
I should be planning my weekend vacation in Boston that I am taking in two weeks now!

$35 for the rental car would make more sense for a couple days after the cruise than paying $70 for Disney cruise transport from port to WDW. And we would have flexibity to visit a different theme park.

I bought tickets from Undercover Tourist in August for my week long December trips in 2010 and 2008. Really don't want to buy non-expiring tickets. I never know for sure if I will ever go back! So I will only do WDW if I am there for a week. I think...

All this is a year and a half away!
I should be planning my weekend vacation in Boston that I am taking in two weeks now!

$35 was for a one-day car rental. Multiply that by 2 if you keep the car a couple of days.

A 7 or 8-day park hopper from Undercover Tourist is a good value. The 10-day NE hopper was a GREAT deal when it first debuted in 2005, but the cost of the non-expiration option has gone up a lot since then. I LOVE my annual pass, and I justify the cost because I usually visit several times a year.

Lyn - plan your weekend in Boston and worry about Dec. 2012 after you return!

$35 was for a one-day car rental. Multiply that by 2 if you keep the car a couple of days.

Lyn - plan your weekend in Boston and worry about Dec. 2012 after you return!

Yes, I do understand the math on the car rental / number of days vs. Disney transport / number of people. And, yes it is too soon to starting booking either!

Boston is going to be taking the train, staying in the city, visit art museum, walking around and seeing the Big Apple Circus. And finding interesting places to eat. FUN!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter