WDW 11/2017 should I bring my scooter or rent

Sven1990

Earning My Ears
we are going to WDW the second week of November 2017 and I use a mobility scooter and am trying to decide if I should take mine or rent

We are flying from Rochester ny there is at least one connection before reaching our destination

If you bring your own you will have it at the air port. I do not have one but have heard it really is not that hard to fly with them

Hi @Sven1990!

I fly with my personal mobility device (ECV or "scooter") all the time!

Here's what I expect to experience when I fly with my ECV:

- between a week and 10 days prior to flying, I contact the airline to let them know I will be traveling with my own device. Some airlines don't care; others will have a special department reach out to you to discuss your needs prior to the flight.

- I arrive early for the flight. I personally prefer to be at the Airport about 2-½ hours early. This is to allow for the bit of extra "work" you will do with the personal mobility device.

- When I check my luggage with the airline, I let them know that I will be gate-checking my device, and that I DO NOT need an aisle chair.

- Next is TSA. Here, it is fastest if you can stand and walk through the machine, and then allow them to manually "clear" your device. Since my ECV has a battery bag + charger, that adds time to the process, as that must be x-rayed separately by the TSA (at least at our home airport and when departing MCO) Most TSA checkpoints have a wooden cane handy to help with balance if you need some extra help.

- TSA will typically do a thorough visual inspection of the device and may swab it as well.

- Unless you are TSA "Pre-Check" be prepared to remove shoes, put your cell phone in a bin, etc. just like everyone else

- Once through TSA, I go directly to my departure gate. As soon as an airline employee appears to work that flight, I let them know that I will be gate checking my ECV and that I do not need an aisle chair. (I also have to discuss removal/storage of the battery for my particular ECV model with them). Sometimes, they will put the gate-check tags on right then, other times they will do it just before you board the plane. Be alert to boarding times, as you will typically board in the first group.

- When it's time to board, you will typically be called in the first group. Carefully proceed down the Jetway ramp (don't try to make your first Disney ride a runaway ramp spectacular!) and when you get to the door of the plane, move to the side, and then hand the device off to a member of the ground crew (or a "host"). It will be either stored inside the plane, or much more likely will be stowed under the plane in a cargo hold reserved for gate-checked equipment.

- Enjoy your flight!

- Towards the end of your flight, ask a flight attendant to let you know when your device is ready after you land. Just like at WDW, you load first, but get off last, so be prepared to wait a bit. Typically the plane is 50% or greater "unloaded" by the time I get my ECV back outside the door of the plane.

(If you have a connecting flight, be sure to add some extra time between flights to allow for the retrieval of your device at the connecting airport. I usually add at least 30 minutes, just for safety and sanity)

- DME (Disney's Magical Express) will store the device under the coach if you can make the stairs - if not, then you can ride on the device after it is placed on the lift, and then transfer to a seat on the bus.

Hope this is helpful! Have a Magical trip! :)

On our last trip, we flew and I didn't bring my own ECV. I brought my wheelchair and rented an ECV to be delivered to the hotel. I can't walk at all and really can't stand more than 10 seconds, so I wanted to have something available at all times. I needed to have something in the room to get to the restroom and if the ECV was charging or parked across the room, I had the wheelchair with me. It was easy to keep folded next to the bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter