Waving Goodbye To My 20s - Aulani Trip Report - Update 9/25 Going Home (The End)

I am not sure if you are "reader" as my husband use to describe me in our early dating days, but if you are, there is a good book about the history of Hawaii. It is called Unfamiliar Fishes. I read it before we went this past August and felt that more of the art and stories I was seeing and hearing made more sense given that I knew more about the history. There is also a beautiful novel set in Hawaii called Moloka'i. It is about the leper colony, which apparently you can visit as a museum now and I think there are a couple of residents still there. I read it while we were on vacation there and it was just such a beautiful story. When I vacation some place new, I like to read about it from a historical standpoint.

Your meals sound great. We did dinner and breakfast at 'Ama 'Ama. For breakfast, I had the cereal encrusted french toast and boy was it delicious!

I go through being a "reader" in phases - some months you'll never not find me with my nose in a book and then you have some months where reading is the farthest thing from my mind (like recently) Thank you about the book recommendation! Hopefully I catch the bug again before the trip and get into reading those! I remember watching a documentary on the leper colony so that is great there is a good novel set in that unique situation!

The cereal encrusted French toast sounds just up my husband's alley! I didn't make any breakfast reservations as it seems we have so many early starting days I don't want to feel rushed. I still got to decide what we are doing on the 7th and 8th though so maybe that will be on the plan!

Your plans look awesome!

We are headed to Hawaii for the first time in October to celebrate my 26th bday....(ok, I'm lying...it's my 40th). The last part of our stay we're flying into Anaheim to stay at DLR for a few nights. We have yet to plan anything outside our flights and hotel accommodations

Just got all caught up on your pre report, your plans look great! Including some things I never knew about such as the secret beach trip that you booked, that sounds really cool. Just a couple tips off the top of my head.... having been to Aulani twice now. I second the recommendation for the book Unfamiliar Fishes, it is an easy read, and was really good to read before our 3rd trip to the Islands back in 2013. Gave a whole new perspective on visiting the different sites such as the Dole Plantation, the Iolani Palace, and the Bishop Museum.

So great that you got an Ocean View Studio!, you are gonna love it.... I cant recommend enough (if you haven't already) going over to the DIS DVC Resort forum and checking out the Aulani Views thread to put in a room request.http://www.disboards.com/threads/aulani-villas-views-updated-05-09-2016.2907389/

Another great foodie restaurant is Town..... sooo good! We loved Alan Wongs, super delicious!

I really liked the Ama Ama lunch menu over the dinner options.... the fish tacos there were a favorite of mine.

As others have said the adult pool is a great option and always seems to have chairs as opposed to the main pool. I have heard there is a great fireworks show put on by the Ko Olina resorts on the fourth of July.... I can't totally recall the details, but I remember reading about it in some trip reports in the past over on Mouse Owners, so you may want to google it.

Great report so far-thanks for taking the time to write it!

Your plans look awesome!

We are headed to Hawaii for the first time in October to celebrate my 26th bday....(ok, I'm lying...it's my 40th). The last part of our stay we're flying into Anaheim to stay at DLR for a few nights. We have yet to plan anything outside our flights and hotel accommodations

26th...40th...either way a perfect way to celebrate a birthday ;) The flights and the hotel are the most important parts of vacation planning! Gotta have those! Have fun at DLR!

Just got all caught up on your pre report, your plans look great! Including some things I never knew about such as the secret beach trip that you booked, that sounds really cool. Just a couple tips off the top of my head.... having been to Aulani twice now. I second the recommendation for the book Unfamiliar Fishes, it is an easy read, and was really good to read before our 3rd trip to the Islands back in 2013. Gave a whole new perspective on visiting the different sites such as the Dole Plantation, the Iolani Palace, and the Bishop Museum.

So great that you got an Ocean View Studio!, you are gonna love it.... I cant recommend enough (if you haven't already) going over to the DIS DVC Resort forum and checking out the Aulani Views thread to put in a room request.http://www.disboards.com/threads/aulani-villas-views-updated-05-09-2016.2907389/

Another great foodie restaurant is Town..... sooo good! We loved Alan Wongs, super delicious!

I really liked the Ama Ama lunch menu over the dinner options.... the fish tacos there were a favorite of mine.

As others have said the adult pool is a great option and always seems to have chairs as opposed to the main pool. I have heard there is a great fireworks show put on by the Ko Olina resorts on the fourth of July.... I can't totally recall the details, but I remember reading about it in some trip reports in the past over on Mouse Owners, so you may want to google it.

Great report so far-thanks for taking the time to write it!

Thanks for the recommendation of the book! We are debating on the Iolani Palace and Bishop Museum on one of our two free days we have currently.

I've seen that thread and I'll be happy with most of the views I could get. I'm not one to request rooms when overall it doesn't seem like I will end up with a bad option.

We are probably going to order lunch to our cabana on the 4th which I believe I get the Ama Ama lunch options for that.

I'll have to check out the trip reports at Mouse Owners - it seems most of the trip reports here are for people with families - which isn't bad but an adult only couple will have a different experience overall.

Trip Update

I’ve been a bad pre-trip writer. Life has kinda blown up recently which I posted about in my WISH journal and I haven’t had the attention to planning this trip as I had wanted to. 18 more days though!

Here are my major updates:

I ordered myself a cake for my birthday! It is supposed to be vanilla with white chocolate mousse with chocolate icing and decorated like Stitch. I didn’t get a warm and fuzzy though when talking to the cake ordering line though so we’ll see what I’ll actually end up with.

I’m for sure not running the Kaena Point Trail 10 Miler on July 2nd. With distractions in my life, I haven’t been running like I should be to be prepared enough for that run. I rather not risk injury on the first full day of vacation for myself. My husband also has decided against it as he thinks that he could hurt himself (despite never really hurting himself during runs) and he doesn’t want to ruin the rest of the vacation. He could change his mind though as he's that type of person.

I really have no idea what we are doing on Thursday or Friday. At this point I’m going to leave it open and we’ll just wing it during the day! My husband wants to pick out what we are doing that day – he’s debating on a Shark Dive or Hiking or Museums or being Lazy at the hotel.

So current plan!

Friday July 1st:
8:04AM – Leave Fort Myers, FL
9:50AM – Arrive Dallas, TX
11:10AM – Leave Dallas, TX
2:29PM – Arrive Honolulu, HI
…get Luggage & Rental Car
4:00PM - Check In @ Aulani – Ocean View Room
...head out to Target for Drinks/Snacks/Toiletries/Etc
7:00PM – Dinner @ Monkeypod

Saturday July 2nd:
6:00AM/6:30AM: Early Morning Work Out Class
North Shore Day/Dole Plantation
9:30AM – Dole Plantation Opens
…Eat a Dole Whip
10:00AM – Head to North Shore
10:30AM – North Shore Soap Factory
11:30AM – Walk North Shore/Food Trucks
1:00PM – Head back to Aulani
4:00PM – Paradise Cove Luau

Sunday July 3rd:
8:45AM – Movie Tour @ Kualoa Ranch
10:30AM – Lunch @ Aunt Pat’s
11:30AM: Secret Island Excursion
2:30PM – Leave Kualoa Ranch
4:00PM – Arrive at Aulani
…clean up
7:00PM – Dinner @ Morimoto Waikiki

Monday July 4th:
6:00AM/6:30AM: Early Morning Work Out Class
9AM – Cabana @ Aulani
11:00AM – Fruit Platter
4:00PM – Dessert Platter
5:00PM – Head Back To Room
6:30PM – Dinner @ ‘Ama-Ama

Tuesday July 5th:
8:00AM – USS Arizona Memorial Tickets
Lunch near there
1PM – USS Missouri Heart of Missouri Tour
6:30PM – Dinner @ The Signature Prime Seafood & Steak

Wednesday July 6th:
7:00AM – Diamondhead Hike
10:00AM – Waikiki Aquarium
1:00PM – Lunch @ Kona Brewing Company
7:00PM – Dinner @ Alan Wong’s Waikiki

Thursday July 7th:
????????
6:45PM – Dinner @ Hoku’s

Friday July 8th:
???????????
4:30PM – Head to Airport
8:00PM – Leave Honolulu, HI

Saturday July 9th:
8:43AM – Arrive Dallas, TX
12:50PM – Leave Dallas, TX
4:29PM – Arrive Fort Myers, FL​

Sounds like good plans. That flight home sounds brutal! I hope you have the next day off to recover!

Sounds like good plans. That flight home sounds brutal! I hope you have the next day off to recover!

July 10th is a Sunday so I still have it off. The only thing planned that day is to get the dogs from the kennel and do laundry!

I do go back to the work on the 11th though and I know that day will be rough but oh well, this trip will be worth it! Hopefully I can sleep some on the plane as that redeye will suck.

Sorry life has been tough lately, hope you're doing ok. But at least you have Hawaii to look forward to in just a few weeks!!!

Plan sounds great!
Have you guys thought about doing the Lanawai Spa at all? That's a fun thing.

Alan Wong's was a highlight for us!!

On our second trip to Oahu in Dec 2013 we stayed at the condos right next to Morimoto in Waikiki for a few nights before heading over to Aulani. One night President Obama was having dinner at Morimoto and we had to go through all these security check points just to get back to our room. :smooth:

You'll be flying out when I'm leaving my house to go to the airport, and you'll be on your second flight before mine even takes off tomorrow! Have a great trip!

Sorry life has been tough lately, hope you're doing ok. But at least you have Hawaii to look forward to in just a few weeks!!!

I'm doing great now that I'm done with year end at work! I was counting down daily! Less than 12 hours until we're at the airport!

Plan sounds great!
Have you guys thought about doing the Lanawai Spa at all? That's a fun thing.

Alan Wong's was a highlight for us!!

On our second trip to Oahu in Dec 2013 we stayed at the condos right next to Morimoto in Waikiki for a few nights before heading over to Aulani. One night President Obama was having dinner at Morimoto and we had to go through all these security check points just to get back to our room. :smooth:

We thought about doing the Spa - well I thought about it - the Spa isn't his thing but I get regular massages in Naples and have a great facial place as well.

Hopefully no one important is around where we are going! I'll cross my fingers on that!

Hav a great trip. Can't wait to read all about it.

Thank you! I'm really so excited! Everything is packed and now just to wait until tomorrow morning!

You'll be flying out when I'm leaving my house to go to the airport, and you'll be on your second flight before mine even takes off tomorrow! Have a great trip!

You snuck in on me! Enjoy Alaska while I'm enjoying the Sun :) My 2nd flight is going to be a long long time but so worth it!

Happy Aulani day! ;) I hope you have an amazing trip. I am stuck on a few things as far as restaurants go (trying to come up with some ideas so that we have an idea of what different places are like, while still having options and nothing set in stone).. so I'm really looking forward to your reviews.

Safe travels and may you have hundreds of Mai Tai's!

Happy Aulani day! ;) I hope you have an amazing trip. I am stuck on a few things as far as restaurants go (trying to come up with some ideas so that we have an idea of what different places are like, while still having options and nothing set in stone).. so I'm really looking forward to your reviews.

Safe travels and may you have hundreds of Mai Tai's!

Thank you! I hope this trip is amazing! Your honeymoon here should be amazing as well! You know you can count on me for food reviews!

No Mai Tais as of yet (then again it is 7:30AM on our first full day) but that will probably be fixed today!

Leaving On A Jet Plane

Despite staying up to 11:30PM on June 30th, I was wide awake at 3:15AM. I tried to go back to sleep but at 3:45AM, I gave up and just moved to the couch to play on my phone until the actual alarm went off at 5AM so we could get ready! Part of me was ok with this as I thought it would help me sleep on the plane rides since we were going to spend most of the day on one.

When our alarm goes off at 5AM - we get ready. My husband just looks at me like I am crazy. You see - he hates when people where gym type attire out in public when they aren’t at the gym/workout location or immediately after the gym/workout (aka you go pick up coffee - grocery store - etc - he won’t judge) He really hates it at Walt Disney World where I get to have his running commentary about this. Despite knowing this, I don’t care. We were flying all the way from Fort Myers to Hawaii - I was going to be comfortable. I love my black yoga capris and I totally paired it with my long sleeve Star Wars Half Marathon running shirt w/ hoodie as you never know if you are going to be cold on a plane and I could shield my face if needed as planes are gross things. He didn’t fight me too much on it at least!

JfeEcvj.png

At 5:30AM - we were off towards the airport - arriving at 6AM and had no problems at check-in and no one in the security line to our terminal! I love my small regional airport with only 4 terminals of 10 gates each - and its no longer ‘season’ so its not overly crowded.

We decided we should get breakfast and stopped by the Great American Bagel as that is pretty much the only option other than Starbucks which isn’t my husband’s thing. He was really happy with his bagel! It was eggy and cheesy which is how he wanted to start his day. I wasn’t as happy with mine which is why 2/3rds of it went into the trash. I was hoping their cinnamon crunch bagel would be at least half as good as Panera’s and I was sadly really wrong.

MYA9eEE.jpg

7DkJANe.jpg

Sesame Seed Bagel w/ Cheese & Eggs

Y0Gls3q.jpg

Cinnamon Crunch Bagel w/ Butter

We wasted time on our phones until it was time to board and take off at 8:05AM EST towards Dallas-Fort Worth! The flight was uneventful. I got a little bit of sleep and I got to play with my sudoku puzzles I bought at the sundry store at the airport. We landed in Dallas and got to our gate right on time - 9:50AM Central Time. We looked at our watches and realized we had just enough time to quickly get to the C Terminal and grab food before it would be boarding time for our flight to Honolulu. My husband got a cheese pizza from the Pizza Hut Express and I got pulled pork from Dickey’s BBQ. My husband had the better selection this time around as Dickey’s BBQ was not that good - I even told him I’m sad we weren’t in Terminal A for Salt Lick BBQ as that is totally better! This was much too greasy as if it hadn’t been smoked long enough.

7lVvGqx.jpg

See The Grease Pile in the Corner!

By the time we ate our food and my husband used the restroom, boarding at started! We were group 1 so we had to wait for all the First Class, Executive Platinum, Sapphire, Ruby, Priority people to board but as we were traveling light for airplane carry ons (his backpack for the laptops, my camera bag and my small purse) we weren’t too worried. I was so glad we paid extra for the super roomy exit row seats! The seats in front of me were far enough away that there were no way for them to touch me during the flight and I could bend over and stretch as I wanted! We got out our items for the long flight entertainment with his Kindle Fire for movie watching, my magazine and puzzles and my Kindle for reading and then put everything up above. I put the blanket they gave us behind my back which I think really helped keeping me comfy for the whole plane ride to have that extra support.

We took off on time and were kinda shocked that apparently American now feeds the Main Cabin on the Dallas to Honolulu flight! We had an option of either a Asian Chicken Wrap or a Veggie Couscous Wrap. It was a cold wrap that had been boxed with Hawaiian Kettle Chips and Dark Chocolate Covered Fruit Bites (my phone was off and stored at this time so no photos!) We both were pleasantly surprised by our respective options. My chicken wrap had just the amount of flavor I would expect from an airline boxed lunch and my husband was really happy with his wrap once he took out the sliced tomato.

He spent most of the next 8 hours watching the OJ Simpson Documentary on the fire or listening to one of his podcasts. I went between napping, sudoku, logic puzzles or reading. I think I slept for at least half of the flight!

QK7bQfU.jpg

Descending

Around 2:15 HST we were finally on our way to land. We got to see a submarine emerging from the ocean as we were landing along with a battleship out in the ocean but again I failed at the photos.

We got our luggage and walked over to Avis. This is where I was super happy I have an Avis Preferred Membership through my work! We were able to skip the super long line at the counter and go up to the special pick up spot on the 3rd floor where it didn’t take too long to get the keys to the car. It would have been quicker if the car the person in front of me reserved was ready but we were in Hawaii and I wasn’t going to let it bother me! We were given the keys to a Toyota Camry and headed that way!

hHoUZPg.jpg

Next Stop: Aulani!!​

Jetlagged

Upon leaving the airport, I was really glad my phone has GPS so I knew where I was going as I had read on these boards about people missing the turn for the hotel. H1 did have some bad traffic but I knew to expect that and just dealt with it. I was glad I was driving instead of my husband, even when he got cranky at me for riding the brakes so much and running through a yellow light.

There was a slight backup of cars waiting for the check-in valet but soon enough we had our luggage out and headed inside to check in. We were greeted at the front door with our leis and some pineapple/lemon/lime water and then greeted again as we made our way to the check in desk. It was so friendly and nice!

yGjna53.jpg

RBal9hN.jpg

epEF8vq.jpg

Up 19 hours at this point!

Check In went smoothly. The room we were given was on the 9th floor in the Waianae tower. We trucked our stuff up to the room and discovered our keys wouldn’t work. I looked at the keys and realized that 1) That wasn’t our name and 2) we aren’t 2A2C.

My husband looked really annoyed and just sat down in front of our assigned room. I went back downstairs and had to wait in the check-in line again to get it solved. Yes, we were given the wrong room and they were really sorry about the key mix up. I headed back up and the keys worked this time!

xHu5jgt.jpg

Qj8Ptjy.jpg

rdDbRVk.jpg

VjMd7Za.jpg

My husband really wanted a shower so I left him to go get the car from the check-in valet and move the car to self-parking.

While I was out, apparently my special cake delivery came as when I returned to the room, my husband told me he almost flashed the lady!

zYYw40e.jpg

I’m really glad I got the cake delivered on the first night as it is huge! It will probably take all week for us to enjoy it. The price wasn’t too bad, at least in Disney Standards as it was $141. Vanilla Cake with White Chocolate Mousse and Milk Chocolate Frosting. We weren’t going to eat it yet as we figured we should eat some real food.

It was only 5:30PM and our dinner reservation at Monkeypod Kitchen wasn’t until 7:00PM but we figured we would try to walk in or at worst situation, just eat at the bar. As the walk-ins were running at 45 minute waits, I was really happy to find two seats at the bar where we could order at. Once we sat down and let ourselves finally stop, we both felt wiped. All the travel had started to really hit us!

We both ordered a drink off the draft menu - I had a Maui Brewing Company Bikini Blonde he had a 2 Towns - Bright Cider and looked at the menu. My husband wanted an appetizer of the garlic truffle fries for his meal but when I ordered my pulled pork sandwich the bartender told us it was cheaper just to add the fries on, so we decided to split that.

Sb7ZGF9.jpg

Monkeypod Bar

zmZ1Li7.jpg

Pulled Pork Sandwich w/ Garlic Truffle Fries - Topped with Fried Onions Straws, Butter Lettuce and MPK Slaw

The slaw/lettuce was super easy to remove if it isn’t up your alley. We both were super happy with our food! This pork was very tender and not greasy in any way. The crispy onion straws had good flavor. My husband ate all his fries quickly and quietly which means he liked it. If we both weren’t so wiped, we may have ordered something closer to a real meal but why force it when your body is screaming SLEEEEEPPPPP!!!

We paid for what I assumed would be our cheapest dinner of the trip - $31.10 + tip and headed to the Island Country Market to pick up some drinks before heading back to the room.

AAQYK7G.jpg

Once we settled in, we each had a slice of cake which we both were really happy with. It was lighter than what we expected it to be despite all the mousse on it!

I wanted to try to stay up until 8PM - that thought failed and I was fast asleep by 7:15PM.​

Looks like your trip is off to a great start. The flight has always seemed daunting to me but sounds like you got through it with ease! Your room looks great and love the view! I have to go back & see what category and/or any requests you made.

Enjoy the rest of your trip - I think maybe you're in a cabana today - and happy birthday!!!!!

Yay, I've been looking forward to your trip report and it's finally here! That's funny about your husband's disdain for people wearing workout clothes when they are not working out, my husband and I feel the same way, lol. But I do think it is perfectly acceptable to wear your comfiest clothing when flying a long flight. Aulani looks great so far. In October we'll be staying in Waikiki at the Aqua Pacific Monarch, nothing too fancy but I think the location will be great and the price is right. Looking forward to the rest of your report and the pictures of food!

Last edited:
That cake is great! I certainly wish I looked that perky after 19 hours...thanks for the food shot from Monkeypod, we are headed there during out August trip and it looks pretty good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter