VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I haven't seen this posted yet but I overheard a WL desk cast member stating that the new cabins would have adjacent parking spots for their guests vehicles. I truly hope not, one of the beauties of the lodge was not having to see any cars once you checked in. We were at the Villa's New Years week and the lodge was still magical and majestic despite the construction. The pool/spa times were limited to something like 10 am-8:30 pm so we missed our early swim's and post park hot tub melts in to relaxation. I suppose the new pool will be similarly restricted unlike our quiet Hidden Springs of old.

I think that some of the cabins might have a parking lot nearby as there is currently an employees lot near the western cabins. And the cabins on the east side can easily access the same parking lot everyone else does. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the parking in that east lot are assigned to the cabins on that side of the resort.

Wow. Calculating Breakeven Levels . . . . . in 2006 I created a spread sheet that allowed me to enter in our Disney trip expenses and compared them to local non-DVC Disney costs. For a while, it helped me justify our investment in DVC, and was showing me how much I was getting out of our DVC experience. We now sit here in 2017, and I must say I have left all that behind.

I haven’t opened up that sheet to evaluate our Disney trips in a few years. It really does not reflect how far ahead we really are, no columns that allow me to enter in what is really important in evaluating life’s choices. I doesn’t reflect the smiles I see on DiznyDi’s face, or the smiles on our family’s faces when we share our good fortunes of DVC ownership. It doesn’t have a measure of how many really great people we have met, how many more lives we have had the opportunity in which to make a difference, whether that be in sharing the excitement, or the sadness, that can come in life. It never told me the story of the exciting times of meeting up with Groupies, or the intimate moments with family and friends that we still talk about today. It never reflected the building of a lifetime of all of these things, and so much more.

Calculating breakeven levels is just a beginning, just the runway for a flight into building many dreams that can come true. Please, I would encourage all to calculate where you are, but remember to factor in the real paybacks it can bring.
Exquisite, Dad. Truly. In fact, it belongs on Page 1 if you don't mind me suggesting so.

As for the parking spots next to the cabins, I can't imagine that would be an option as the liability of having folks drive so close to heavily trafficked areas would be untenable. Looking at those intended for DVC owners lots, that's likely as close as someone staying in the cabins will be able to get, and only to those in the outward cabins will those lots seem to be worthwhile.

Beautifully said, DDad. Since we did not buy DVC to save money, we've never looked at the financial breakeven. For us it was an affordable way to stay in a suite on-site at Disney to enhance our vacation experience. It is safe to say that if we didn't own DVC, there's no way we would visit as often and experience the friends and memories we have incurred over the years.

This is mostly my/our sentiment as well, although We would've tried to visit as often but ultimately would've stayed in moderates to offset the $$. Now being into Villas, I'd say it's really hard for us to go back to a Value or even a mod... Just for the mere fact of convenience that the resorts offer :confused3

Hi there, everyone! I have been lurking here for a while and wanted to come and introduce myself now that we are official WLV owners....I mean Boulder Ridge. :-)

We bought a resale contract of 150 points -- our first DVC purchase -- that went through on Monday, and could not be more excited!

I love the vibe of this group almost as much as I love Wilderness Lodge. It is our favorite, and I can't wait for many future trips!

Right now we are planning a trip in January 2018 with my sister and her family. I'm hoping the construction will be finished by then. Any thoughts?

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

Here's a picture from our visit to the Lodge in January 2015. :lovestruc
View attachment 214809

Welcome to the groupies ElizabethCB! :welcome:

Welcome! This is the best group on the DIS and the best DVC! Fell free to grab a Moussie avatar and pull up a rocker.

Yesterday was my 11 month mark and I reserved a 2 bedroom dedicated for Dec. 14-19. (hoping to get the cool corner room my sister got last trip) We are taking my MIL and SIL who will be first timers at WDW and WLV. We are looking to book BLT for 2 nights this summer. DH is going to a conference in Orlando and we are staying at Gaylord Palms for the first three nights and BLT for the other two. Summer is the only time of year I can get DH to book anywhere else but WLV and who can blame him right? We and some friends booked a last minute trip in a few weeks. 4 parks in 2 days! We are staying at Coronado Springs. I need more points!

We drove by Gaylord Palms on our way to BLT in Dec. It looked beautiful. Never stayed there though.

I need more points too hence my waiting on ROFR on a BLT contract. Still waiting. I kept seeing all these reports of people getting notified in 1-2 days. We submitted 1/5. Still nothing. :(

Is there a tentative date for the May groupie meet? I looked at the front page & see a few overlapping dates for people. I want to go to a groupie meet! ::yes:: We can never do Dec. ones because we travel over Christmas not early in the month. Not sure if I can make it happen but if I can sneak down for a couple days I will. I have all thousands of SW rapid rewards points just sitting there waiting to be used!

Welcome to the groupies ElizabethCB! :welcome:

We drove by Gaylord Palms on our way to BLT in Dec. It looked beautiful. Never stayed there though.

I need more points too hence my waiting on ROFR on a BLT contract. Still waiting. I kept seeing all these reports of people getting notified in 1-2 days. We submitted 1/5. Still nothing. :(

Is there a tentative date for the May groupie meet? I looked at the front page & see a few overlapping dates for people. I want to go to a groupie meet! ::yes:: We can never do Dec. ones because we travel over Christmas not early in the month. Not sure if I can make it happen but if I can sneak down for a couple days I will. I have all thousands of SW rapid rewards points just sitting there waiting to be used!
No tentative date yet, but we'll get one or two suggestions before too long. Though there wouldn't be as many Groupies as this past December, it would still be a fair amount and would be our first Groupie meet at the World. (We've had a couple of mini-meets with JT, Eliza, and a few others in our neck of the woods.)

No tentative date yet, but we'll get one or two suggestions before too long. Though there wouldn't be as many Groupies as this past December, it would still be a fair amount and would be our first Groupie meet at the World. (We've had a couple of mini-meets with JT, Eliza, and a few others in our neck of the woods.)

We need to share a glass of wine together. ::yes::

Jimmy, just saw the fantastic news on FB!! Congrats to you and Tammy, and of course, to Kristian and Paul!!!

Jimmy...that's awesome news for you and Tammy! Prayers of gratitude and blessing going out for Paul & Kristian.

But the really big news is....CaptainD is gonna' be an UNCLE!!! :yay:

Hello, all! I just joined the thread here on a recommendation from @sleepydog25. My family has rented points (from a friend at a great deal, no less) and we will be staying in a studio villa 6/3-6/11. This will be our first time at the Lodge even though it has always been a dream of mine to stay here. This will be my 16th(ish) trip to WDW (my first was 40 years ago!), my 5 yr old son's 3rd, and my 2 yr old son's 2nd. I think this will be my DH's 2nd but I know for certain his last trip was 35 years ago!! I would love to buy into DVC and that isn't off the table but right now it is easier for us to rent.

Because of my boys' ages and my love for MK, we have 3 out of 7 MK days planned so I am very excited about the proximity, as well as the boat, to MK. We will also be visiting Whispering Canyon for dinner during our trip, as well as either Roaring Fork or the new Geyser Point QS.

Thanks, in advance, for allowing me to join in!

Hello, all! I just joined the thread here on a recommendation from @sleepydog25. My family has rented points (from a friend at a great deal, no less) and we will be staying in a studio villa 6/3-6/11. This will be our first time at the Lodge even though it has always been a dream of mine to stay here. This will be my 16th(ish) trip to WDW (my first was 40 years ago!), my 5 yr old son's 3rd, and my 2 yr old son's 2nd. I think this will be my DH's 2nd but I know for certain his last trip was 35 years ago!! I would love to buy into DVC and that isn't off the table but right now it is easier for us to rent.

Because of my boys' ages and my love for MK, we have 3 out of 7 MK days planned so I am very excited about the proximity, as well as the boat, to MK. We will also be visiting Whispering Canyon for dinner during our trip, as well as either Roaring Fork or the new Geyser Point QS.

Welcome, Ariel! I do think you'll fit right in here and feel at home. If you're curious to know a little more about this thread, start on Page 1 (if you haven't already). However, it's certainly not a necessity to join right in. In fact, we always say the only requirement for the Groupies is to have a love of the Lodge (Lodge is all-inclusive to the main building and the DVC section)--no ownership here or anywhere else is needed. We have folks from all walks, age groups, and interests. What we all share is the joy of coming "home." DiznyDad posted a beautiful paragraph on the prior page about what the Lodge means to us.

VWL is a great spot for enjoying the World, in general, and MK, in particular. The boats are a wonderful benefit, and the buses run directly to MK from the Lodge, too. Even with the ongoing construction, the Lodge is a welcome and serene place to unwind after spending hours in a park. They have a relatively new kids' splash pad next to the main pool, and I'm sure your kids will love it.

Anyway, I'm glad you decided to seek us out. Pull up a rocker, grab your favorite libation, sit back, relax, and join in as you feel led to do. Spittoons are optional. ;)

Welcome Ariel ! welcome3.gif

I'm sure you'll have a great time at VWL. And an 8 night stay is a good way to enjoy WDW without burning out. :)

In addition to the boat to MK, there is also a bus. We always take the boat but I wanted you to be aware of your options. There is also a boat or two that circles the Bay Lake resorts of WL, Fort Wilderness and Contemporary/Bay Lake Towers. That can be handy to know if one shows up that is heading to Contemporary next...it may be faster than waiting for the MK boat since you can just walk from Contemporary to MK. Sometimes we do this just to walk around a bit...which is more important to us than saving time.

Likewise, you can use the same boat for an EPCOT return by taking the monorail (with connection) to Contemporary and then the boat to WL. It really isn't much different than taking the monorail to MK and then a boat to WL, unless the timing is near the end of Wishes. Then, any alternative to MK transportation is a good thing!

Enjoy your planning and your trip. Your boys are such a great age for the magic of WDW!! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter