• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Volunteering for GKTW as a Family

DisneyTaylors

She's the Minnie to my Mickey
We were listening to several recent podcasts on the drive back from Hershey and we ran acrosss the one where Teresa recommended volunteering at GKTW as a family activity. I immediately looked at Jennifer and said we should do this in December. We are looking at a few days in late December as we are staying at WDW 11 days after the cruise. :cool1: One potential date in 12/22. Has anyone ever volunteered at GKTW as a family? Are you typically grouped together or split up? Does anyone know if there is a minimum age as our youngest will be 5? We plan on calling and talking to GKTW for the details but were curious what others' experiences had been. Also, in case anyone wanted to join on 12/22. :thumbsup2

- Bill

Hi Bill,

I volunteered this summer with Teresa, Kathy, and a few other DISers as well as during DAP. There is a minimum age requirement, but you would need to talk to them for the specifics. I have heard of children (fourth grade and up) working with their parents; I believe five is too young. You would have to talk to them to be sure.

When you sign up for GKTW, you are assigned a volunteer coordinator. When you call, ask for Connie as she set up our group this summer and is familiar with us as being from DIS/DIS Unplugged as a result. She can be reached via email or phone. Once you are signed up, each eligible member of your family will need to complete a volunteer application. They will do a simple background check to ensure the safety of their children as you will be working directly with them.

After this has been completed, you will be given a list of shifts available. Sometimes there will be two or three people needed in one shift, but many times one person is needed. It is still fairly early so you might be able to work something out if you call this week and let them know what you were looking for. If you are more flexible with what day(s) and time(s) you are interested in volunteering, there is a better chance that they will be able to accommodate you.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, let me know and I can try to answer them based on my experiences at GKTW. :)

Hi Bill,

I volunteered this summer with Teresa, Kathy, and a few other DISers as well as during DAP. There is a minimum age requirement, but you would need to talk to them for the specifics. I have heard of children (fourth grade and up) working with their parents; I believe five is too young. You would have to talk to them to be sure.

When you sign up for GKTW, you are assigned a volunteer coordinator. When you call, ask for Connie as she set up our group this summer and is familiar with us as being from DIS/DIS Unplugged as a result. She can be reached via email or phone. Once you are signed up, each eligible member of your family will need to complete a volunteer application. They will do a simple background check to ensure the safety of their children as you will be working directly with them.

After this has been completed, you will be given a list of shifts available. Sometimes there will be two or three people needed in one shift, but many times one person is needed. It is still fairly early so you might be able to work something out if you call this week and let them know what you were looking for. If you are more flexible with what day(s) and time(s) you are interested in volunteering, there is a better chance that they will be able to accommodate you.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, let me know and I can try to answer them based on my experiences at GKTW. :)

Cool, I will definitely ask for Connie when I call them. Thanks for the info Nikki! :goodvibes

- Bill

Thank you for volunteering!!

The Volunteers were a very special part of the GKTW experience for Lauren and for lots of our DISer families!!!

What a great idea and I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter