Vintage resort pics?

I love these photos!! I don't think we ever went to Discovery Island before it closed...I get so bummed when I've missed out on attractions.:(

That is all of the Disney Inn Photos I have. I was on my honeymoon, so pictures werent a top priority, but I did get a few. In fact back then I really didnt know how to take good pictures. Now adays we love taking meal photos of the restaurants, resort photos, ride and atraction photos, its a organized process, and I work hard to get good photos. We vwent to discovery island on our honeymoon and noboby would know it by the photos. Yes alot of wild life, but no photos of the actual island and surroundings. Had I known it wasnt gonna be around I would have taken alot of photos of the buildings and such. The photos I took of the wild life could be photos of any zoo. But you live you learn. Here is one of my more recent photos to give you an example. i work hard these days to take good photos.

You have to set up a shot like this and the conductors know you are there and give you the whistle and the smoke. Does anybody know where this was taken? sure you ! but just checking

MyPostcard.jpg

I do not remember and waterfalls in the front of the Resort and I do not have any pics of the exterior front I will share what I have. Dont forget I was a Honeymooning couple, so pictures were not top priority. But here is what I have. It was and is a great resort if you are a Golfer!!

No the waterfalls weren't there in 1989. There have been many changes to the resort over the years. Here's a little history I've been able to piece together.

When the Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom opened in October of 1971, two championship golf courses opened nearby, the Magnolia and the Palm. On December 15, 1973, at the site of the courses’ club house, The Golf Resort opened with 125 guest rooms and a swimming pool, the Magnolia Pool.

SOGPostcard1973.jpg

On February 1, 1986, the resort was reopened under a new name, The Disney Inn, and with a new theme, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The resort had been renovated and expanded to 288 rooms, and added a second swimming pool, the Mill Pond Pool. In 1992, a third golf course was added next to the Magnolia course. The Oak Trail golf course is a nine-hole, par-36 walking course.

SOGOldSatPic.jpg

The U.S. Military began leasing the property on February 1, 1994, and started offering its rooms exclusively to U.S. service members and their families and various other categories of Department of Defense employees as part of their Morale, Welfare and Recreation program. On January 12, 1996, the Department of Defense purchased the resort and renamed it Shades of Green.

After continued occupancy rates in the 90-99% range, on January 4, 2002, Shades of Green announced a remolding and expansion project. On April 1, 2002, the resort closed for construction. During the closure, guests with reservations were accommodated at the Contemporary Resort’s North Garden Wing (their reservation rates were honored, but they were charge an additional 11% sales tax). The Shades of Green ticket office was also temporarily moved to the Contemporary Resort.

On March 31, 2004, Shades of Green re-opened with 568 guest rooms, a completely redesigned entrance and lobby area, a new restaurant called Manginos, and a new parking garage.

SOGNewSatPic.jpg

No the waterfalls weren't there in 1989. There have been many changes to the resort over the years. Here's a little history I've been able to piece together.

Thanks bigAWL
That actually clears up alot for me and brings back some memories!!

I wonder if their Occupancy is still in the upper 90's in capacity. I would actually find it hard to believe that they are selling out or coming close. Can you get the current occupancy rates?

Thanks bigAWL

I wonder if their Occupancy is still in the upper 90's in capacity. I would actually find it hard to believe that they are selling out or coming close. Can you get the current occupancy rates?

Not sure if occupancy rates are available anywhere to the public. The numbers I quoted came from various articles written during the last expansion.

With the increased capacity, maybe it would be hard to keep up those types of numbers. But then again, it might not be too much of a stretch to believe they continue to have relatively high occupancy rates considering their room rates are still in the $95-141 range, depending on rank (oh, and there's no sales tax charged on those rooms, and those rates dont change with the season). For deluxe-size rooms... at that price... that close to the Magic Kingdom....

First off these pictures are EPIC, brings back such great memories.
Second I love the pictures of the Disney Inn, we stayed there a bunch of times, I remember it always being so quiet.
AND LASTLY IS 1992 REALLY CONSIDERED VINTAGE??? IF IT IS IM GETTING OLD.... LOL:confused3:confused3:rotfl:

Thanks bigAWL

I don't know if they publicize the rates but they used to have a calendar on the shades of green website where you could check to see if rooms were available and most always as you got close to a date they were sold out. People still occasionally do get an overflow rate at an actual Disney hotel instead. So I think it's probably very close to that still.

But the rooms are the largest single rooms on Disney property, sleep 5 (two queens and a pull out), all with fridge, and are dirt cheap, with no sales tax as a PP mentioned. It's such a bargain. Also, you can reserve up to 3 rooms so often you've got multi generational families staying together. That helps to fill the place.

When I started this, I never thought so many awesome people would share such great pictures and memories. I love checking in and seeing what you guys add!

Today is the Grand Floridian's 25th anniversary. The latest I have is 1997. Wonder if anyone has pics from earlier?

Mom and dad loved Disney. Countless trips first in 71 then 78 and so many times from then on. They passed away and have been finding old disney photos. From Poly in 78 and Contemporary in 86. I will find them and post some. Even found Poly letterhead that mom wrote a letter on that she sent to my sitter because they didn't bring me in 78 i was 6 months old.

I wish I had some old resort photos to share. I have some old ticket stubs from a trip to EPCOT in the mid-80s. I know somewhere my mom has a photo of my brother on the Carousel in the mid-70s. I have stories about one of our stays at the Dutch Inn...but no photos.

I do have this prized photo of me with Mickey, sometime in 1981 though:

dinamickey1981.jpg

Back when there was no organized line...I had to crop out out the photo because there was a kid on the other side of Mickey...not somebody in my family! :)

HELP??

This is early April, 1979 or 1980 (I swear it's 1980 but my dad has it listed as a year earlier). This is along the parade route, I just don't know exactly. I'm the little one, lol. My daughter is 8 and I'd like to take a photo in the same place if possible. I HAVE NO IDEA where this is exactly. There is water in the background? Anybody know where this might be? Yes, I realize it's 40 years later...

https://www.disboards.com/media/79-04-00-mattie-laura.87321/ (Sorry, I have no idea how to imbed the photo in my post: newbie alert!)

HELP??

This is early April, 1979 or 1980 (I swear it's 1980 but my dad has it listed as a year earlier). This is along the parade route, I just don't know exactly. I'm the little one, lol. My daughter is 8 and I'd like to take a photo in the same place if possible. I HAVE NO IDEA where this is exactly. There is water in the background? Anybody know where this might be? Yes, I realize it's 40 years later...

https://www.disboards.com/media/79-04-00-mattie-laura.87321/ (Sorry, I have no idea how to imbed the photo in my post: newbie alert!)
I am thinking in front of Casey's/Crystal Palace.

The kool thing is that I can use google maps and "walk" through virtually to see about where it was. I think I'm also going to see where the closest men's restroom is to those locations, as I have a sneaking suspicion that was why we had a bench (waiting on my dad). Now that I think of it, I think that's the POd look that my daughter gives me, lol.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm looking at those possible locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter