Very pleased with purchase!

Perelandra

Mouseketeer
Perceptions can be wrong, but it seems to me that there are a lot of threads that contain a fair amount of negativity and caution for why you shouldn't purchase a DVC contract.
I bought 325 points last summer (resale/SSR w 25 points direct for member benefits), and I've already used points last September, am going again this next September, and have plans to go back in March of 2018.
So, purchasing has definitely encouraged me to go more regularly to a place that I love, and stay at nicer resorts.
In September we will get to do the after hours at Animal Kingdom for DVC members, the special DVC Soarin' behind the scenes tour, and we got discounts on our annual passes and we will get a discount on Not So Scary as well as all merchandise. Plus we will get to take advantage of Epcot member's lounge and TOTWL.
So, I feel like I can afford it, and really don't care if it's the best "investment" or not, some things in life are worth it just for the joy factor.
I just wanted to put this out there as a positive testimonial for those that are considering purchasing.

DVC makes sense for most but not all. If you know what you are buying and you can take advantage of the perks and they stay perks for awhile. You expect to vacation at Disney every year and the numbers show a cost savings and you would stay in the equivalent rooms then it makes sense to buy.

DVC has changed over the years, perks come and go, management comes and goes, policies change, and they will change in the future. If things don't work out, sell.

:earsboy: Bill

Perceptions can be wrong, but it seems to me that there are a lot of threads that contain a fair amount of negativity and caution for why you shouldn't purchase a DVC contract.
I bought 325 points last summer (resale/SSR w 25 points direct for member benefits), and I've already used points last September, am going again this next September, and have plans to go back in March of 2018.
So, purchasing has definitely encouraged me to go more regularly to a place that I love, and stay at nicer resorts.
In September we will get to do the after hours at Animal Kingdom for DVC members, the special DVC Soarin' behind the scenes tour, and we got discounts on our annual passes and we will get a discount on Not So Scary as well as all merchandise. Plus we will get to take advantage of Epcot member's lounge and TOTWL.
So, I feel like I can afford it, and really don't care if it's the best "investment" or not, some things in life are worth it just for the joy factor.
I just wanted to put this out there as a positive testimonial for those that are considering purchasing.

I hear what you're saying and I'm sorry you feel that there is a lot of negativity. Unfortunately, if you are here long enough, you will read the disaster stories of people getting in over their heads, losing a lot of money when selling their contracts, losing their contracts entirely because they can't pay the mortgage and/or dues, etc. Most of the participants in these conversations are owners, and are happy about that fact. It is almost implied (and rarely stated) how much we love our DVC. Instead, I think a lot of posters here try to be cautionary, and that sometimes comes across as negativity. I think that the onus is on the reader to interpret what is being said, apply what pertains to them and disregard that which doesn't. It's definitely not a one size fits all situation.

Thank you for pointing out the positives of ownership. I will openly admit that I don't say it enough...I love my DVC, the home resorts I have chosen, and the perks I have been able to take advantage of. When it works, DVC is an amazing product. When you get in at an economical level it can be even better. But when you own and are in a stressed situation, it can be troubling.

Great post, Perelandra! There is a lot to consider when buying DVC and these forums are a great source of info. But sometimes it seems that we miss the "forest" of the joy in a DVC vacation because we focus on the "trees" of all the details of ownership. I have made a lot of mistakes in my 69 years on this earth, but buying DVC was not one of them. And I am glad that we truly celebrated each of our 50+ trips, especially now that we can no longer travel. I hope that you continue to be happy with your DVC for many years to come!

Very good points, and I don't want to make it sound like I'm coming down on people for being negative. I truly believe that when owners are presenting the obstacles or downsides, they are doing so out of concern for others. I was just thinking that if I were someone that was struggling through this decision (and I did), that I might be discouraged from taking the leap by a lot of the posts on here.
I just wanted to be a positive encouragement for some that were weighing their options.
On a side note, my 7 month window opens February 5th and so far there is a availability at every WDW resort for a studio. If it stays that way, then I'll be staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time in September even though I bought in at SSR. Couldn't be happier so far.

On a side note, my 7 month window opens February 5th and so far there is a availability at every WDW resort for a studio. If it stays that way, then I'll be staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time in September even though I bought in at SSR. Couldn't be happier so far.

THIS! I'll never forget the first time I was able to book 5 nights in a Villas at the Grand Californian 1BR with my bargain basement SSR resale points. It felt like stealing.:rolleyes:

some things in life are worth it just for the joy factor.
I totally agree. When you see some debates on whether or not DVC is a good use of money you always get the financial accountant who will jump in to say that the money if invested in something else would make more financial sense. Well yes of course, but you allot money in your budget for vacations and enjoyment. As long as you don't stretch beyond your means DVC can fit very nicely into your financial plan.

Last edited:

I completely agree. We completed our first purchase last year and completely enjoyed our first trip as owners. So much so, that we purchased as second contract this year.
If you do your research (this site is awesome for information), ask the right questions for you, DVC can make a lot of sense. While some may not enjoy it, we loved our experience.
Glad you enjoyed buying as well.

Heh we're with you there in "loving it". We're booked out 5 years in planned trips. :) Planning to stay in at least... a BLT 2B, BLT GV, BW GV, and Poly Bungalow over the next 10 years. I should update my sig...

I think most people out here are genuinely happy w their purchase, else they'd sell and not be here. All forums (not just the Dis) present an environment where people are more frank and less bound by social norms like focusing on positives and being cooperative. Like if you ran into someone at work and told them you just bought DVC and were excited, you'd get smiles and talk about why you love Disney, what you do there, etc. You do that on the Dis, and you get grilled on whether you studied it enough first. It's not unhappiness, it's just cutting to the chase to get the information desired.

It doesn't have to be a great investment. If you have the means, then spend your cash on what makes you happy. Even tho there are other parks closer to home and cheaper, Disney has a permanent place in our life since I loved doing these things when I was little, and hope to have our kids enjoy the same for a long time.

Lets see, just purchased at Grand Californian, first reservation is a one bedroom, checking prices our first stay with taxes would go for $1300 a night. Yea I am feeling pretty good right now

Heh we're with you there in "loving it". We're booked out 5 years in planned trips. :) Planning to stay in at least... a BLT 2B, BLT GV, BW GV, and Poly Bungalow over the next 10 years. I should update my sig...

I think most people out here are genuinely happy w their purchase, else they'd sell and not be here. All forums (not just the Dis) present an environment where people are more frank and less bound by social norms like focusing on positives and being cooperative. Like if you ran into someone at work and told them you just bought DVC and were excited, you'd get smiles and talk about why you love Disney, what you do there, etc. You do that on the Dis, and you get grilled on whether you studied it enough first. It's not unhappiness, it's just cutting to the chase to get the information desired.

It doesn't have to be a great investment. If you have the means, then spend your cash on what makes you happy. Even tho there are other parks closer to home and cheaper, Disney has a permanent place in our life since I loved doing these things when I was little, and hope to have our kids enjoy the same for a long time.
You make good points! And I think you bring up another point, for those weirdos that are obsessed with the rabbit holes and endless planning process, it provides hours of research and entertainment and a "fix". I haven't totally decided if I think this is a good, healthy thing yet or not, lol, but so far, I'm really enjoying it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter