Upgrade to Grand Floridian for $800?

But that is true of all of their resorts as everyone of them is overpriced. If someone is concerned about this aspect then there are some really nice off property resorts to stay at.

I can stay at a really nice Holiday inn express which has a full hot breakfast bar free of charge for $80 a night. This includes 2 queen beds with box springs .... a much nicer resort and much better deal than the values

Percentage wise the "deluxes" are dramatically overpriced. The others are just "overpriced":rotfl2:

However, you are right and I am not paying Disney pricing anymore for thier quality.

That said, GF was the biggest disappointment I have ever had at a Disney resort. (Valet wait was always at LEAST 40 minutes. To get the valet to take my car it was necessary to walk over and TACKLE one. LOL! Buses were PACKED since we were the LAST pick up after at least two other "deluxe" resorts. I should NOT be able to write "DUST ME" on the furniture or at least if I do it should not still be there AFTER the next cleaning. The front desk staff was flat out rude and when I pointed out that billed me twice for the same room the manager told me "we don't make errors". Luckily the credit card company told him that apparently he did this time LOL!)

OP, I would do it in a HEARTBEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have stayed at both POR and the GF and I will NOT go back to POR. (Poor service by front desk CM's and food court CM's, it is MASSIVELY huge- and we were in a manor just over the bridge, I hated sharing the bus with POFQ- you are more likely to stand since the bus is pretty full before it even gets to POR) Since we were so disheartened by our POR stay, we have stayed away from all the other mods too.

But the GF is heavenly :cloud9: We have always had top notch service from every CM we have ever encountered there and the location can't be beat (MK is 1st stop on the monorail, and the GF is a short boat ride back).

We would stay there EVERY trip if we could :goodvibes

The problem is you can have rude CM's at any resort, food court, park, etc. We've stayed at the CSR seven times and have never had a rude CM; others have; we've stayed at the Contemporary and had a very rude CM and a foul mouthed mousekeeper; my DH will NOT walk into the GF after looks we received the one and only time we visited. Personally, we don't do deluxe anymore (although I will eventually try AKL for the animals) and stick with our moderate.

Only the OP will know exactly what will make he/she happy and his/her experience will be their own. Everyone's experience is different no matter whether value, moderate or deluxe.

Cinderumbrella

I think some of the pics I posted were snagged from you on that photo thread :rotfl2:

I told DH this next trip I am handcuffing myself to my room and I ainte ever leaving :rotfl2:

Percentage wise the "deluxes" are dramatically overpriced. The others are just "overpriced":rotfl2:

However, you are right and I am not paying Disney pricing anymore for thier quality.

That said, GF was the biggest disappointment I have ever had at a Disney resort. (Valet wait was always at LEAST 40 minutes. To get the valet to take my car it was necessary to walk over and TACKLE one. LOL! Buses were PACKED since we were the LAST pick up after at least two other "deluxe" resorts. I should NOT be able to write "DUST ME" on the furniture or at least if I do it should not still be there AFTER the next cleaning. The front desk staff was flat out rude and when I pointed out that billed me twice for the same room the manager told me "we don't make errors". Luckily the credit card company told him that apparently he did this time LOL!)

This sounds exactly to the tee some of the issue we had at the AKL...except we had even worse of a time....
Due to this my family refuses to ever think about staying there again!!!
I know many have had wonderful times at the AKL but for us ..nope no way..never again :rotfl2:

The problem is you can have rude CM's at any resort, food court, park, etc. We've stayed at the CSR seven times and have never had a rude CM; others have; we've stayed at the Contemporary and had a very rude CM and a foul mouthed mousekeeper; my DH will NOT walk into the GF after looks we received the one and only time we visited. Personally, we don't do deluxe anymore (although I will eventually try AKL for the animals) and stick with our moderate.

Of course you can rude CM's anywhere. But the several rude ones we encountered at POR soured my feeling on that resort, the same way you were soured by one towards the GF.

But like you posted earlier, that is the beauty of WDW- different hotels for different tastes.

For what Disney wants for the GF... SORRY but NO EXCUSES.

I have stayed at REAL Deluxe resorts. Those employees are TRAINED and I honestly cannot recall a single "rude" employee there. As a matter of fact the "bend over backwards" feeling is the exact opposite.

For several hundred a night you don't get a second chance! I expect less at a value or mod, but if Disney wants to call it "deluxe" then they need to DELIVER!

For what Disney wants for the GF... SORRY but NO EXCUSES.

I have stayed at REAL Deluxe resorts. Those employees are TRAINED and I honestly cannot recall a single "rude" employee there. As a matter of fact the "bend over backwards" feeling is the exact opposite.

For several hundred a night you don't get a second chance! I expect less at a value or mod, but if Disney wants to call it "deluxe" then they need to DELIVER!

I still think you should give it a second chance. Its been years since you stayed at the GF right? :)

I compare the service at the GF to a REAL deluxe resort like the Ritz Carlton Grand Lakes.

Disney doesn't measure up in ANY area but "location" Sorry, but the level of service and room quality Disney provides at this hotel gets it a 3 star rating by independent agencies. (AAA rates it higher, but considering how much money they make booking Disney it's hard to call them "independent" LOL!)

So for what Disney charges I expected what I get at the Ritz. :laughing: That was an error. Disney "allows" you to stay, Ritz welcomes you.

I compare the GF to other Disney resorts. It's kind of silly and irrelevant to compare an onsite deluxe with an offsite. Apples to oranges.

To the OP, I would definitely upgrade to the GF. And it is a definite upgrade.:thumbsup2

I compare the GF to other Disney resorts. It's kind of silly and irrelevant to compare an onsite deluxe with an offsite. Apples to oranges.

To the OP, I would definitely upgrade to the GF. And it is a definite upgrade.:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 ITA

If you can afford the difference, I would so do it. As to kids at the GF, they are everywhere. As to the theme not being one kids like, do kids really care, I mean seriously.

Kids like pools, Grand Floridian has two great ones, they have fun kid activities, they have great places to eat, a very good arcade, lots of nice outdoor spaces and a monorail or boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom, what is there for a kid not to like.

George So many different opinions...its is going to be hard to make a decision!!! I dont want to list different comparisons but I will say we have stayed at wonderful resorts at many places around the country and the one place we keep going back to is the GF...

We have 3 teens 2 of them boys who have always been big GF fans (although I will say that the CR is a close 2nd...)

It is a nice place to spend a family vacation and the fact that it is at disney is the icing on the cake....

I would not because I don't think the GF is that much fun for kids. It looks nice, and it has great restaurants, but I think you'd have more fun for less money if you stay where you are.

I have to respectfully disagree that the GF is not as much fun for kids...just because there are no giant disney characters around the resort doesn't lessen the enjoyment. Our DD has enjoyed the GF with us since she was 3 1/2 years old - it's as much fun as you make it.

After our first 2 stays at the GF, we tried the CR for her 5th birthday (DH was down there on a business trip, and we decided to make it a short family vacation, so DD and I met him down there on his last day - it was last-minute and exciting!). Well, we had a great (pre-refurb) room with a wonderful MK view (almost brought tears to my eyes). Almost every time the monorail passed the GF, though, DD asked, "Why aren't we staying at our hotel?" It was pretty funny!

She has always especially loved dancing around to the nightly music and the decorations at Christmastime, and to her, it is our "home" at WDW.

:sunny:

Not the best route to take regardless of which building you're in as the launch heads to the Polynesian after leaving the GF before going to the MK. It is a great way to travel to the MK from the Polynesian however.

Returning to the GF, the launch is very quick and a lovely way to travel regardless of your building.

To the OP, I think the GF is a bargain for $800 more/7 nights as long as it's a comfortable expense for you. Your kids will love the pool and beach and everyone will enjoy the convenience.

I also have timed going to the MK via boat launch from the GF and it is quick. It's great that there are a few options to get to and from the MK, whether it's from a boat ride or the monorail... you can't go wrong.

Happy planning.:goodvibes

If you can afford the difference, I would so do it. As to kids at the GF, they are everywhere. As to the theme not being one kids like, do kids really care, I mean seriously.

Kids like pools, Grand Floridian has two great ones, they have fun kid activities, they have great places to eat, a very good arcade, lots of nice outdoor spaces and a monorail or boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom, what is there for a kid not to like.

This made me laugh, Sammie.:rotfl: I completely agree.

I compare the service at the GF to a REAL deluxe resort like the Ritz Carlton Grand Lakes.

Disney doesn't measure up in ANY area but "location" Sorry, but the level of service and room quality Disney provides at this hotel gets it a 3 star rating by independent agencies. (AAA rates it higher, but considering how much money they make booking Disney it's hard to call them "independent" LOL!)

So for what Disney charges I expected what I get at the Ritz. :laughing: That was an error. Disney "allows" you to stay, Ritz welcomes you.

I do understand what you are saying as we have also stayed at true deluxe hotels. Does the service compare, in some case yes and some cases no. We try not to compare the two as we do like the GF and haven't had any of the problems that you have experienced. But I have to tell you that the YC is starting to become our favorite.:cloud9:

I also have timed going to the MK via boat launch from the GF and it is quick. It's great that there are a few options to get to and from the MK, whether it's from a boat ride or the monorail... you can't go wrong.

Happy planning.:goodvibes

I agree, if there are 3 boats running than it is probably faster by boat even stopping at the Poly before going to the MK. When only 2 boats are running it can still be faster depending on how the monorail is running. Does a 3 or 4 minute difference really matter? The boat is a fun way to go in good weather, not so much when it is cold.:lmao:

Just wanted to also comment on the valet at the GF since a PP had a bad experience. We never had to wait long for the car, usually within 5 minutes, maybe a couple more if it is a very busy time. When we have called before leaving the room it was always there when we got there, but we usually just ask for it when we get down there. We have always had someone come right over to the car when we pull up. Sorry the PP had a bad experience with the valet, but it has always worked well for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter