{update}How do you budget?-I'm trying YNAB!

****Update****
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm takin a huge deep breath and jumping into the trial for YNAB. I have to admit I'm a little overwhelmed because I don't really get it but I like to think I'm a fairly intelligent person lol. It's definitely not intuitive for me.

How did somebody with a previous non-existent budget decide to dive into something so structured you ask? Well I got hit with an unexpected tax bill (not something I could have budgeted for all year), just found out one of my monthly expenses is increasing about $200/month, and threw down an insane deposit on a vacation. It's making me panic a little lol. So I've read rave reviews on YNAB and need to feel a greater sense of control.

Any YNAB tips much appreciated. It looks like my big issue currently is I use the money I make in April to pay April bills. I should be using March money to pay April bills? Is that why I'm completely in the red? I guess I need to shuffle $ around?

Breathe...

DH and I have been using YNAB for 10 months now and it has been one of the best things that we ever did. It does take some time to learn the program. We signed up and watched all of the online tutorials, which was extremely helpful. You can also search through their online manual, which I found helpful when I had a really specific question (like how to handle reimbursable work expenses so they don't mess with my budget). And when I had a question that I still couldn't understand, I sent a chat message and they helped me figure things out. The customer service is very top notch, so don't be afraid to use it.

Once you start getting used to the system, it takes very little time to set up your monthly budget. I think I spend about 5 minutes at the start of the month. On Sundays, I spend about 10 minutes per week reconciling our expenses with the program and then DH and I have a weekly budget meeting for about 10 minutes where we just review the previous week and make sure everything is on track and looks good going forward. If we have overspent in a category, we make a joint decision on how to cover that overspending. Last month we overspend on dining out by $30. We took $30 from our grocery budget to cover it. No debt accumulated. So we probably spend about 2 hours per month setting up our budget, reconciling and reviewing. It's not a huge time sink once you know the system.

The real benefit is what this has done for our finances and our relationship. Last year, we were making efforts post-wedding to eliminate credit card debt and DH's student loan. We had been making some progress before YNAB, but once we started using YNAB, we were better able to see and control our spending. So much so that we managed to do both in 6 months (about 12k in debt gone), plus we saved up for IVF costs at the same time (6k savings). Now we have no CC debt, we save monthly for irregular expenses such as HOA dues and auto insurance, we have 5k (and growing) in our emergency fund and we are making double payments on our mortgage and auto loans.

For our relationship, it has been huge. When we got married, I took care of the finances. DH would whine that I wasn't letting us do anything fun or that I was spending on things that weren't a priority. I wanted DH to get more involved, but it was hard to really show him a picture of what our money was doing in Mint (what I used before YNAB). Once we started using YNAB, DH got involved in the financial decisions and we started putting priorities on our money together, rather than me feeling like all the weight was on my shoulders. We haven't fought about money at all since we paid off the credit card debt and my stress level in relation to finances has plummeted. We have the money that we need to things set aside. We have a cushion if something unexpected were to come up. We even have more money now for those fun things that DH wanted to do and have prioritized it into our budget.

I personally love YNAB and have recommended it to many people, including friends and family. My brother is saving for a new house down payment. He makes a lot of money, but was managing it poorly. I got him into YNAB and now they have saved $12k towards the house in just 3 months by reprioritizing their existing money and better controlling their current spending. They should have enough money to buy a new house and keep their current house as a rental property within the next year. He tells me all the time how happy he is that he started using YNAB.

It definitely makes you see what's going on. I might not necessarily change it, but knowing is important.

A $125/month budget for coffee is crazy haha. But the more you know...

I'm really hoping I can stick with it just to see where things really go. I put $500/month for food but my guess is it's probably way more than that.

I'm starting to see that I just spend a lot on everything. I actually feel guilty seeing some of the numbers.

I think it will help if I make myself save up for something instead of just buying it. Reward is always a good motivator.

Ok, what is the investment with YNAB? It costs money, correct? I hate mint and want to get into YNAB but something is holding me back... I just got a new (higher paying) job (start at 35 weeks pregnant agh!) and will be on maternity leave soon, and in August we'll have two in daycare (at $1700/month). I'd love to work on getting things more in control! Or at least feeling like they are.

Ok, what is the investment with YNAB? It costs money, correct? I hate mint and want to get into YNAB but something is holding me back... I just got a new (higher paying) job (start at 35 weeks pregnant agh!) and will be on maternity leave soon, and in August we'll have two in daycare (at $1700/month). I'd love to work on getting things more in control! Or at least feeling like they are.

It is $5 per month or $50 for a year.

Another really happy YNAB user here. I'm a little obsessive, and update my budget pretty much daily (I generally check my online bank info daily too, so that my obsessiveness isn't YNAB's fault). I really recommend their webcast tutorials - they do an amazing job of explaining how to use the tools, and you can ask the person running the training your specific questions. The tutorials also give suggestions for how to monitor/reduce some kinds of expenses too. I have a much clearer idea of where our money is going than I did before. I'm in charge of family finances, and our financial priorities have always been pretty clear (pay for daycare, save for a house, pay for summer camp, pay off grad school loans), but now we are a little further along in our careers and have a bit more disposable income, so I wanted to make sure our financial choices really align with our long term goals. We are doing pretty well, and most of our spending makes sense, but there are definitely areas where we are spending more than we should be. YNAB really helps me sort out what we really need to spend, how much we should be spending on things we want rather than need, and how we are progressing towards our long term goals. I really do think the platform is a fantastic tool, and I think their "system" makes a lot of sense for many people - the webcast series really helped me to understand how to use it to its fullest capacity. When I first signed up I tried just going in and "budgeting" the way I've always done it, and it didn't make any sense, so there is definitely a learning curve and you need to get on board with how they suggest you do it, then you can modify so it fits your life.

DH and I have been using YNAB for 10 months now and it has been one of the best things that we ever did. It does take some time to learn the program. We signed up and watched all of the online tutorials, which was extremely helpful. You can also search through their online manual, which I found helpful when I had a really specific question (like how to handle reimbursable work expenses so they don't mess with my budget). And when I had a question that I still couldn't understand, I sent a chat message and they helped me figure things out. The customer service is very top notch, so don't be afraid to use it.

Once you start getting used to the system, it takes very little time to set up your monthly budget. I think I spend about 5 minutes at the start of the month. On Sundays, I spend about 10 minutes per week reconciling our expenses with the program and then DH and I have a weekly budget meeting for about 10 minutes where we just review the previous week and make sure everything is on track and looks good going forward. If we have overspent in a category, we make a joint decision on how to cover that overspending. Last month we overspend on dining out by $30. We took $30 from our grocery budget to cover it. No debt accumulated. So we probably spend about 2 hours per month setting up our budget, reconciling and reviewing. It's not a huge time sink once you know the system.

The real benefit is what this has done for our finances and our relationship. Last year, we were making efforts post-wedding to eliminate credit card debt and DH's student loan. We had been making some progress before YNAB, but once we started using YNAB, we were better able to see and control our spending. So much so that we managed to do both in 6 months (about 12k in debt gone), plus we saved up for IVF costs at the same time (6k savings). Now we have no CC debt, we save monthly for irregular expenses such as HOA dues and auto insurance, we have 5k (and growing) in our emergency fund and we are making double payments on our mortgage and auto loans.

For our relationship, it has been huge. When we got married, I took care of the finances. DH would whine that I wasn't letting us do anything fun or that I was spending on things that weren't a priority. I wanted DH to get more involved, but it was hard to really show him a picture of what our money was doing in Mint (what I used before YNAB). Once we started using YNAB, DH got involved in the financial decisions and we started putting priorities on our money together, rather than me feeling like all the weight was on my shoulders. We haven't fought about money at all since we paid off the credit card debt and my stress level in relation to finances has plummeted. We have the money that we need to things set aside. We have a cushion if something unexpected were to come up. We even have more money now for those fun things that DH wanted to do and have prioritized it into our budget.

I personally love YNAB and have recommended it to many people, including friends and family. My brother is saving for a new house down payment. He makes a lot of money, but was managing it poorly. I got him into YNAB and now they have saved $12k towards the house in just 3 months by reprioritizing their existing money and better controlling their current spending. They should have enough money to buy a new house and keep their current house as a rental property within the next year. He tells me all the time how happy he is that he started using YNAB.

I guess I budget a little different than everyone here. I lost my parents when I was very young and was on my own by the time I was finishing college. I pay all my bill the old fashion way, I write checks. I get paid every other week with direct deposit. I take $200 a week to live on, gas, food, clothing & entertainment. Everything stays in the checking account (since the interest rate is not high enough for me to move into a savings account) I have a mortgage free home and and I buy my cars for cash using craigslist. I only use my credit card to pay for things that I buy online or for rental cars/disney vacations. I use my disney points for my yearly disney vacation. I am also an empty nester. I manged to put my 3 children through college this way (though I have to admit there were a couple of weeks when I only had less than $100 to my name). I never mortgaged my home, I would rather eat pasta for a month than to ever chance that :) I stay on property at Disney, but I usually stay at Pop to save on costs

****Update****
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm takin a huge deep breath and jumping into the trial for YNAB. I have to admit I'm a little overwhelmed because I don't really get it but I like to think I'm a fairly intelligent person lol. It's definitely not intuitive for me.

How did somebody with a previous non-existent budget decide to dive into something so structured you ask? Well I got hit with an unexpected tax bill (not something I could have budgeted for all year), just found out one of my monthly expenses is increasing about $200/month, and threw down an insane deposit on a vacation. It's making me panic a little lol. So I've read rave reviews on YNAB and need to feel a greater sense of control.

Any YNAB tips much appreciated. It looks like my big issue currently is I use the money I make in April to pay April bills. I should be using March money to pay April bills? Is that why I'm completely in the red? I guess I need to shuffle $ around?

Breathe...
I do like YNAB even though I don't use it anymore (I did a lot of fresh restarts when I'd get behind so I just do everything on paper). The best thing about YNAB is that it encourages you to start paying a month ahead, what YNAB calls the Buffer. That mindset has helped me. For example, I get paid twice a month, and I always transfer 1/2 my mortgage into a "Holding" savings account so I always have the full payment ready at the end of the month. To create a one month Buffer, I transferred an extra 1/5 of my mortgage payment for 5 paychecks. I (fairly) painlessly gathered an extra mortgage payment in my "Holding" account. That is effectively a small emergency fund, since I could use it to pay 1 extra mortgage payment if I needed to. I act like it isn't there, but I feel great knowing it is there.

Since I became used to transferring that extra 1/5 mortgage payment every paycheck, I have continued transferring that amount into our 6-month Emergency Fund, which will be fully funded at the end of the year!

After that, I'll probably continue to save that amount, but I'll transfer the money into a savings account for a car, which we might need in a few years....
So just by paying attention to getting a month ahead, I will be able to have 1 month ahead mortgage payment in 3 months, a fully funded emergency fund in 1 year, and pay cash for a new car in 3 years.

Hope that helps.

YNAB also forces you to address your annual/semi-annual bills, which most people pretend don't exist, and budget a MONTHLY amount for each one instead of putting them all on credit cards as the "oh yeah" bills roll in.

Not in the general sense, but how do *you* budget?

Since folks on this board like to dig up old threads ;) I'll just mention out of the gate that over the years, I've asked a few times for budget/money saving techniques. Every so often, I get a bee in my bonnet that I should be doing something differently financially. So I get geared up and read and ask here and then...pffffttt. I end up just maintaining the status quo, which I decide works "well enough."

So I'm back on it again lol. How do you budget and why do you think that method works? What do you recommend for somebody who has had trouble sticking to a structured budget? (Who also just maybe has some resistance to lifestyle changes).

TIA as always!

Personally, I map out expected income about a year and a half in advance. Use googlesheets to create formulas, plugging in anticipated expenses. There's a master sheet tracking yearly overview, then tabs which detail each category. (gas, food, etc.)

I deposit into checking, but have weekly auto transits set up to move $ into savings. Each year I up the ante.

I use reward credit cards that I pay off monthly to the best advantage in earning flights.

If you haven't, I highly recommend the works of Marie Kondo. Figuring out my personal priorities and "joy" sparkers/limits really helped put finances into a different lens. Knowing exactly what I have also prevents me from purchasing things I do not need. Knowing yourself helps you discard the costs/habits that may not be serving the "present" you.

I also have long term/short term financial goals for myself. It's easy to get overwhelmed by money, but breaking it into pieces and figuring out where you can go without and where spending matters to you is empowering, even on a break-even income.

I would also recommend reading Bridges Out of Poverty and/or learning about the hidden socioeconomic approaches to life. Learning how to break with ideaologies surrounding me when I was younger and having a mother that taught me creative problem-solving has been such a boon.

Good luck, & be patient with yourself!

So a couple of months into it, how are you faring?

Well haha as anybody could probably guess from my posting history, I didn't even make through the trial period with YNAB.

I have since tinkered with a budget in Mint, which I'd used before to help me think a bit about where my money goes.

I also paid all my cc down to zero to get off the "float" so it's easier to see my spending add up.

For somebody who just kind of spent as they wanted then paid whatever the bills were as they came due, YNAB was like going from eating whatever to being a strict vegan and cutting out sugar overnight. Lol too drastic of changes too quickly for me to stick with for any length of time!

For somebody who just kind of spent as they wanted then paid whatever the bills were as they came due, YNAB was like going from eating whatever to being a strict vegan and cutting out sugar overnight. Lol too drastic of changes too quickly for me to stick with for any length of time!
I'm in a whopping 4 days and still am trying to make heads or tails of it. But I had the same spending habits, but obsessively hitting the "import" button on the app makes me feel a tiny bit better. :rotfl2:

I'm in my second month of YNAB, and I kinda love it, but that's because when my money was all in one pile I'd just spend without thinking about it. Now that I categorize everything, I think about each purchase far more.

I use YNAB, but just as a way to keep track of spending and reconciling statements, and it works fine for that. I didn't have the motivation to do the budgeting part of YNAB.

I use YNAB, but just as a way to keep track of spending and reconciling statements, and it works fine for that. I didn't have the motivation to do the budgeting part of YNAB.

Do you mean that you don't create categories and assign amounts to each category? What do you do instead, since YNAB requires everything to be assigned to a category?

Do you mean that you don't create categories and assign amounts to each category? What do you do instead, since YNAB requires everything to be assigned to a category?

Oh, I do create categories and assign amounts, and enter my receipts into YNAB. I just meant that I use it to keep an eye on where the money is going, but I don't adhere to a budget per se the way YNAB means to encourage.

Oh, I do create categories and assign amounts, and enter my receipts into YNAB. I just meant that I use it to keep an eye on where the money is going, but I don't adhere to a budget per se the way YNAB means to encourage.

So you pretty much described what I do with YNAB. I mean, what else is there?

So you pretty much described what I do with YNAB. I mean, what else is there?

I watched a few YNAB videos, and from a budgeting standpoint it's a "virtual envelope" system. I get the idea but it doesn't work on me.

I used to use Quicken and that worked for my purposes far better than YNAB but my data file got corrupted and I got tired of having to buy the newest Quicken every couple of years. I'm still using the old YNAB (Classic? the one that was a one-time purchase) too since I'm not a fan of these subscription service models (although it appears that's the way all software is going).

If there were a product that combined YNAB and Personal Capital I think that would be my happy spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter