Universal or Disney in December?

jenniejones0

Earning My Ears
I have a 1yr and 5yr and I am planning a family trip to Orlando Dec.21-25. I originally booked RPR king suite at Universal but now am afraid IOA will be too scary and too wet in Dec.

This may be all-Dis board but is there anyone with some advice on which park to visit? Is Univ less expensive-that's why I booked the suite there.

:earsboy: Welcome to the DIS jenniejones0 :earsboy:

With children that age I would DEFINITELY do Disney.My boys are 9 and 10 and we're planning our first trip to IOA for next summer.We do Disney twice a year! The boys have not been tall enough nor I think mature enough to "handle" alot of the rides there in my opinion.Being tall enough was the main issue though...my guys are coaster freak,including my big guy and we didn't want any of us to have to sit it out!

Another WDW for sure. Our DS is 11 and we have waited on Universal parks too. Many of the rides are trill rides that even he was not tall enough for until lately. We also wanted to wait till his friend was old enough that we felt comfortable taking him with us on a trip. Mom and dad do not do some of those type rides that universal does, though I will do everything at WDW. My sister took her boys to universal at 7 & 9 and regreted not waiting a few more years. They will love WDW and there is more there than you could ever do on one trip.

jordan's mom

Thanks so much for the input-I'm changing our trip. Any suggestions about a suite in one of the resorts or how to get a good package deal? We live in Virginia.

Hi, Jennie,
We go to WDW and USO/IOA yearly. Although my kids (9, 6, and 2) love both, I think you're probably better off with WDW. Your 1 yr. old will definitely be happier at WDW. Also, I've been to Orlando in December when it was colder than Oregon! Universal is a good park for the summer when you appreciate getting wet on the rides; it's a lot less fun on a cold day.

I do have to say that I think USO/IOA is a better deal than WDW. The Universal hotels are very nice and you can get great rates on them. Also, nothing beats the front-of-line privilege extended to resort guests.

If you're trying to stay on-site, I find WDW resort suites to be very expensive. I always stay in deluxe hotels, but I'm too cheap for WDW suites. However, look into the cabins at FW - I've considered those before. YOu may also want to consider getting two connecting (not adjoining!) rooms at the value resorts. I've never done this, but I understand that you can get a better deal renting points from DVC members for one of those properties. If you're staying off-site, there are lots of good options. Be sure to visit the hotels forums. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Family Suites before and I would recommend it. I had friends who stayed at the Vistana before and really liked it. Post on the WDW Resorts and/or the off-site resorts forums and you'll get lots of info.

WDW is beautifully decorated in Dec. - I'm not sure about USA/IOA.

I think you've made the right decision going to WDW. However, if you're still debating your decision, make sure you go to the Universal/IOA forum. You'll find plenty of info about visiting with smaller children.

Have a great trip. :D

Donna-Thank you sooo much! What great info. I am definitely changing to WDW and I think off-site since we really want space. Did you find the drive and parking to be terrible from Holiday Inn? How would you rate the room and did your kids like it?

I will definitely look for suggestions on thehotel forum you suggested. Thanks again-I've never been with kids and can't wait!

Jennie,
You will find lots of info about the HIFS. It was a very popular hotel with off-site DISers. The rooms were smaller than they appear in the website, but they were fine. The really nice feature was the free, hot breakfast every morning.
The hotel is very close and convenient to WDW. They provide a shuttle, but we never used it.
One word of warning, though. As I'm sure you know, you're going at a very busy time of the year. Depending on how early you can get your family at the parks, early entry may make staying at a WDW resort worthwhile for you. Off-site or on-site, make sure you get there early or you'll never make it onto Dumbo!
Good luck with your planning.
Donna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter