• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Pink Pixie Princess - Complete!

The POLY! Yay for you! We stayed there for the first time ever for the Dopey - loved it! We are DVC, the studios they have there are probably the nicest on property. You will love it!

Keep up all the hard work getting back to running! It seems to be paying off!

Hopefully Disney and runDisney announce what is going on for wine and dine soon.
Seriously. I'm hoping for something this week, buuuttt...:confused3
Awesome! Poly! I have always wanted to stay there as well.
I'm so excited about it!! :yay:
I will need me to text me your immediate thoughts on "House of Cards" ASAP.

I finished last night.

#TeamClaire
Well...how far into it are you? I don't want to be that jerk that texts you about the season finale and you're only on Chapter 42 or something...:eek:
Polynesian is my dream resort!! Initially it was Animal Kingdom Lodge but after having my first ADR at Ohana I fell in LOVE!! Monorail benefits!!!! I'm super jealous!
YES! So excited for the monorail benefits!

Although I do LOVE Animal Kingdom Lodge...you definitely need to stay there sometime!
Oh no it was 'that' trip! Interested to know what you thought of Universal... I went back on my Dopey trip just for one day and it was a lot busier than we're used to... I really like the Harry Potter areas and rides and The Simpsons area is something that is something you don't hear much about but I LOVE it! Still... we had 17nights and we spent only 1 day there and we were happy with that!
Yeah...*that* trip. The last 24-36 hours were just so awful!!

Universal...it was okay. The Harry Potter stuff, I thought, was perfect. My jaw dropped open the first time we stepped into Diagon Alley. I actually ended up going back with my mom and brother in October (they are also Harry Potter fans) and we got a 1-day park hopper so we could go on the Hogwarts Express, and I LOVE that. I seriously liked that better than Gringott's (queue was great there, the right was pretty good but not amazing) and Forbidden Journey (have only ridden that once - first time in my life I legit thought I was going to throw up after a ride. NEVER AGAIN).

Mr. A and I LOVE the Simpsons, so we were pretty excited to see that area. I thought they did a great job with it! We didn't go on the Simpsons Ride, because in my "research" I found that that ride was the one people cited most often as getting them sick. So we opted to skip it.

Ultimately, I don't see us going to Universal very often, if ever again. Besides Harry Potter and the Simpsons, the other IPs they use just aren't that interesting to me. And I think they rely on screens/motion simulators WAY too much (really hoping Disney doesn't go in that direction). But I'm way too big of a Harry Potter fan to have not seen Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, so I definitely don't regret going.
I LOVE THESE!!!!
AREN'T THEY PERFECT?! :shamrock:
Oh it's the 16s!!!! I didn't know they were out yet.. interested to see how you get on with them...
Yep!! They have been good so far! I'm hoping to stock up on a bunch of pairs later this year when the 17s come out and the 16s are on sale!
Congrats on the lifting!! That's an awesome stint!
Thanks! I'm feeling really good...happy I've been able to stick with it. :)
I hear ya!! I've only made it to the end of episode 4 due to crazy weekend and the fact that I only watch it with himself and he is now away until Friday BUT there will be weekend binging!
Ah, so is that show popular outside of the US? I had no idea since it's all about US politics...

Okay so you've seen episode 4...the thing that happened in that episode (no spoilers) - did you totally see that coming? I sort of did. What do you think of this season so far? Now that I have finished it, I liked it a LOT more than last season and I'm SUPER excited for season 5...just a year to wait. :sad:
The POLY! Yay for you! We stayed there for the first time ever for the Dopey - loved it! We are DVC, the studios they have there are probably the nicest on property. You will love it!
AHHH yay! Glad to hear your review of the studios!! :yay:
Keep up all the hard work getting back to running! It seems to be paying off!
Thank you!! I think it is, I have been feeling stronger and healthier lately, which was my big goal this year. Now I just need to commit to keeping it up! :)

Well...how far into it are you? I don't want to be that jerk that texts you about the season finale and you're only on Chapter 42 or something...:eek:

I know this wasn't directed at me but.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH NO SPOILERS :scared1:

YES! So excited for the monorail benefits!

I need to stay at a monorail resort... It's difficult because we come for longer trips so the price difference is CRAZY but maybe I can split stay next time with a few nights at the Polly... a girl can dream...

Although I do LOVE Animal Kingdom Lodge...you definitely need to stay there sometime!

I have done! Twice! It was amazing... I'm still very much in love with it. It feel very different to other resorts in that it's more secluded so it's hard to believe you're still at Disney! We got a great price with renting as it takes a lot less points than most of the others.

Yeah...*that* trip. The last 24-36 hours were just so awful!!

Universal...it was okay. The Harry Potter stuff, I thought, was perfect. My jaw dropped open the first time we stepped into Diagon Alley. I actually ended up going back with my mom and brother in October (they are also Harry Potter fans) and we got a 1-day park hopper so we could go on the Hogwarts Express, and I LOVE that. I seriously liked that better than Gringott's (queue was great there, the right was pretty good but not amazing) and Forbidden Journey (have only ridden that once - first time in my life I legit thought I was going to throw up after a ride. NEVER AGAIN).

Mr. A and I LOVE the Simpsons, so we were pretty excited to see that area. I thought they did a great job with it! We didn't go on the Simpsons Ride, because in my "research" I found that that ride was the one people cited most often as getting them sick. So we opted to skip it.

Ultimately, I don't see us going to Universal very often, if ever again. Besides Harry Potter and the Simpsons, the other IPs they use just aren't that interesting to me. And I think they rely on screens/motion simulators WAY too much (really hoping Disney doesn't go in that direction). But I'm way too big of a Harry Potter fan to have not seen Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, so I definitely don't regret going.

Ye I agree... I was blown away by the Harry Potter areas, Diagon Alley is incredible and a must do for a Harry Potter fan. I loved the hogwarts express too! I felt so ill this time round on Forbidden Journey, it's so disorientating. The queue is great though. Gringott's queue is amazing and did you go into the bank with the talking Goblin?

We didn't do the Simpsons ride this time either, I love rollarcoasters but I get motion sickness on simulators and this one is horrific!! I think a 1 day hopper is plenty and if I was going for shorter trips like you do I would be skipping it all together on most visits as well....

Yep!! They have been good so far! I'm hoping to stock up on a bunch of pairs later this year when the 17s come out and the 16s are on sale!

Ye I'm thinking I'll do the same...

Ah, so is that show popular outside of the US? I had no idea since it's all about US politics...

Okay so you've seen episode 4...the thing that happened in that episode (no spoilers) - did you totally see that coming? I sort of did. What do you think of this season so far? Now that I have finished it, I liked it a LOT more than last season and I'm SUPER excited for season 5...just a year to wait. :sad:

Oh YES it's incredibly popular! I think the politics side is easy enough to follow and the election is normally something we'd see in the news anyway. Did you know that the original House of Cards was made in the UK? Originally a book set in the UK adapted to a TV Series with 4 episodes. The US show follows the story of the book/TV show up until the end of season 2 (that amazing finale episode) but from there on the story is new. I didn't like the 3rd season as much so I was hoping it wouldn't just crash and burn with the all the 'new story' seasons. Glad to hear you liked the season!!

I didn't see it coming actually... I knew something big was going to happen with the same people but not exactly what happened so I was a bit surprised!

I KNOW RIGHT!!!!!??? A whole year and then we watch it back to back in a matter of days... it's NOT OK!!!

I know this wasn't directed at me but.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH NO SPOILERS :scared1:
No spoilers from me!!
I need to stay at a monorail resort... It's difficult because we come for longer trips so the price difference is CRAZY but maybe I can split stay next time with a few nights at the Polly... a girl can dream...
Yeah, isn't not cheap. This will be the second time we've done it (Grand Floridian in 2013).
I have done! Twice! It was amazing... I'm still very much in love with it. It feel very different to other resorts in that it's more secluded so it's hard to believe you're still at Disney! We got a great price with renting as it takes a lot less points than most of the others.
I totally agree!! I love it there!
Ye I agree... I was blown away by the Harry Potter areas, Diagon Alley is incredible and a must do for a Harry Potter fan. I loved the hogwarts express too! I felt so ill this time round on Forbidden Journey, it's so disorientating. The queue is great though. Gringott's queue is amazing and did you go into the bank with the talking Goblin?

We didn't do the Simpsons ride this time either, I love rollarcoasters but I get motion sickness on simulators and this one is horrific!! I think a 1 day hopper is plenty and if I was going for shorter trips like you do I would be skipping it all together on most visits as well....
Yes, we did go into the bank! Forbidden Journey was 100% the worst I've ever felt on a ride, but you're right, the queue was amazing. I just need to walk through the queue again, slowly.
Ye I'm thinking I'll do the same...

Oh YES it's incredibly popular! I think the politics side is easy enough to follow and the election is normally something we'd see in the news anyway. Did you know that the original House of Cards was made in the UK? Originally a book set in the UK adapted to a TV Series with 4 episodes. The US show follows the story of the book/TV show up until the end of season 2 (that amazing finale episode) but from there on the story is new. I didn't like the 3rd season as much so I was hoping it wouldn't just crash and burn with the all the 'new story' seasons. Glad to hear you liked the season!!
Yes, I did know that about it being in the UK first, and I know what happened to the Frank Underwood character in that version, but I didn't know it was only 4 episodes?! I think I may have known it was a book but maybe not?
I didn't see it coming actually... I knew something big was going to happen with the same people but not exactly what happened so I was a bit surprised!
I guess I should say - I didn't see EXACTLY that coming, but it wasn't that shocking to me.
I KNOW RIGHT!!!!!??? A whole year and then we watch it back to back in a matter of days... it's NOT OK!!!
I KNOW!! At least Daredevil comes out next week! :)

2016 Tinker Bell 15K Training!

Yesterday I had another follow-up appointment with Dr. Spine, and it went really well. I'll talk a little bit more about that in my weekly post. :)

For the past few weeks - ever since I started running again - I have to admit...I've been thinking about the Pixie Dust Challenge. I've had this glimmer of hope that I could possibly be somewhat ready for it this year - as in, 2 months from now. I've been feeling really good lately and, after finding an 8-week training plan that seemed somewhat doable, decided I wanted to give it a shot. But I'd only do so with Dr. Spine's blessing.

Initially, he said no. Womp womp. But then I realized he was under the impression that I wanted to run these races super seriously and post super fast times…..hahahahaha. Silly Dr. Spine. Once I made it clear that I was more than okay with walking a decent amount, stopping a lot and going slowly, that this in fact how I do EVERY Disney race...he was more on board. "Come back and see me in late May after the race, and don't forget to bring pictures!" BUT...he also said to pay attention to how I felt once my long runs got over 6 miles or so, and that if I wasn't recovering quickly, I'd have to re-think things.

I thought I'd be super excited to get the official medical okay to do this, but I wasn't. I think the reason why is that I knew deep down that it was probably not a good idea...and I had to work a little harder than I would have liked to convince Dr. Spine to agree to it (same with Mr. A - not that I, like, need his "permission" to do things, but his input is very important to me :) and he wasn't thrilled that I wanted to do the half). Really, if I'd read/heard about someone hoping to run a half so soon after 2.5 months off, well, let me be blunt: I'd think they were a little stupid and possibly setting themselves up for injury. And I'd tell them not to do it. :scratchin So shouldn't I take my own advice?

After sleeping on it, I've come up with a different plan for this year's Tink weekend: I'm doing the 5K and the 10K, but not the half.

25581035711_01d53e5a88_z.jpg

Just this morning I bought a 10K bib from a Travel Agent - the caveat being that I also had to buy a 1-day, 1-park ticket, which I don't need with my Premier AP...but my mom can use the ticket, so she'll buy that from me (and most likely upgrade it to a 1-day park hopper). So I'm going to use the 10K bib, along with my already purchased 5K entry, and defer my Pixie Dust Challenge entry to next year, like I was planning before I started running again. I just got the link from the TA and registered through Active.com, so it's a done deal. :yay: And just like when I deferred the Glass Slipper Challenge, I feel relieved. Unlike when I deferred the Glass Slipper Challenge, I'm not upset about this change. I still get to do 2 out of the 3 races, and let's face it - 8 weeks just isn't enough time for me to be as trained as I'd like to be for a half, but for a 10K, I think it's reasonable. And once the deferral link is posted for the Pixie Dust Challenge, I get my guaranteed entry for next year. And best of all, I'm way less likely to re-injure myself by ramping back up too quickly.

I'll be using Hal Higdon's Novice 10K training program. It's an 8-week program due to start on Monday. I will be making one change though - the program tops out at a 5.5-mile long run, and I think for my mental state, I'd like to get to 6...so I'm adding one week to the plan, meaning that this week is week 1 of 10K training. It mostly works out, except that if I'd decided this earlier, Tuesday's run would have been 2.5 miles instead of 2 miles. Oh well!

During the appointment with Dr. Spine I said multiple times that I don't want to make it seem like I am not taking this injury, and the recovery, seriously...and I think that dropping the half from my schedule this year shows that. I think this is the right way to go for this year, and I'm hoping to kick butt in 2017 (provided that I actually remember to defer my PDC entry).

COMPLETED TRAINING

Week 1 (3/7/16 - 3/13/16): 7 miles completed

Monday: lifting
Tuesday: 2-mile run
Wednesday: lifting
Thursday: 2-mile run
Friday: lifting/yoga
Saturday: 3-mile run
Sunday: rest

Week 2 (3/14/16 - 3/20/16): 8 miles completed
Monday: lifting/yoga
Tuesday: 2.5-mile run
Saturday: 3.5-mile run

Week 3 (3/21/16 - 3/27/16): 8.5 miles completed

Tuesday: 2.5-mile run
Saturday: 4-mile run

Week 4 (3/28/16 - 4/3/16): 9 miles completed
Tuesday: 3-mile run
Saturday: 4-mile run

Week 5 (4/4/16 - 4/10/16): 9.5 miles completed
Monday: 3-mile run
Tuesday: lifting
Wednesday: 2-mile run
Thursday: lifting
Friday: 4.5-mile run
Saturday: lifting/yoga

Week 6 (4/11/16 - 4/17/16): 10 miles completed

Friday: lifting
Saturday: 5-mile run

Week 7 (4/18/16 - 4/24/16): 10.5 miles completed

Saturday: 5.5-mile run

Week 8 (4/25/16 - 5/1/16): 11 miles completed
Tuesday: 2 miles
Thursday: rest
Friday: 3-mile run
Saturday: 6-mile run
Sunday: yoga

Week 9 (5/2/16 - 5/8/16): 11.3 miles completed!
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: 2-mile run
Thursday: travel
Friday: Never Land 5K!
Saturday: Tinker Bell 10K!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
...AT THE POLYNESIAN. THE FREAKING POLYNESIAN.

Ahhhh!! So so so exciting :) Poly is our DVC home resort, but we may not stay there until May 2017 (or later, if we end up getting Grand Floridian...)

I am so freaking excited!!! It's still not cheap to stay there, exactly, but it's the same price as the Yacht Club reservation I just canceled*, except that I'm tacking on an extra day at the start. So it's cheapER.

Woo hoo!! Plus, monorail access (and Captain Cook's and Kona...) can you tell I love the Polynesian?

Glad the rest of your training is gong well too - seems like a good idea to skip out on the challenge, and if you feel good about it I figure that just confirms that it was a good decision.

Hoping the 10k training goes well! I'm using that plan right now and it's working pretty well - 5 miles scheduled for this weekend (ack)!

Yeah for your Tink plans! Running the 5K and 10K sounds like so much fun! Good job for listening to what is right for you. I'm sure I would have a hard time with patience while recovering from an injury, but wow, what an important thing to do in the long run (pun intended!). Looks like you have a great plan going! I've decided to go back Hal Higdon after training with Jeff Galloway for a year and a half. I feel an improvement in just these two weeks since I've started. I think the 4 days a week is what I need.

Ahhhh!! So so so exciting :) Poly is our DVC home resort, but we may not stay there until May 2017 (or later, if we end up getting Grand Floridian...)
I wouldn't blame you for trying out the Grand. We stayed there in 2013 (well...at the resort, not the DVC part) and loved it!
Woo hoo!! Plus, monorail access (and Captain Cook's and Kona...) can you tell I love the Polynesian?
And Trader Sam's and 'Ohana!! Wheeee!
Glad the rest of your training is gong well too - seems like a good idea to skip out on the challenge, and if you feel good about it I figure that just confirms that it was a good decision.
I think so, too. I think I'm more excited about the weekend than I was before, so I think it's a good call. :)
Hoping the 10k training goes well! I'm using that plan right now and it's working pretty well - 5 miles scheduled for this weekend (ack)!
Thanks! Glad to hear the plan is working for you, I haven't used this one yet. But Hal hasn't let me down yet, so I have faith! And you are going to totally own that 5-miler! *fistbump*
Yeah for your Tink plans! Running the 5K and 10K sounds like so much fun! Good job for listening to what is right for you. I'm sure I would have a hard time with patience while recovering from an injury, but wow, what an important thing to do in the long run (pun intended!). Looks like you have a great plan going!
Yay! I think it will be fun - I'm excited for the courses, they're supposed to be good ones! Also, I enjoyed your pun. :)
I've decided to go back Hal Higdon after training with Jeff Galloway for a year and a half. I feel an improvement in just these two weeks since I've started. I think the 4 days a week is what I need.
Yeah, I used a Galloway plan last year and I definitely didn't feel as strong on that one compared to Higdon. I think you're right about adding the 4th day, it makes a big difference!

Yay on the continuing improvement and double YAY for doing the 10K and getting a bib for that. Seems like a very smart plan and you still get to enjoy 2 races which is awesome!! The training plan seems perfect and I'm glad Dr. Spine is onboard for you running more so long as you are careful about it and clearly you are being careful.

POLY!!!! Woohoo. That is so exciting. I'm sure you will have an amazing stay there.

I showed Chris that circuit shirt and asked him if he'd wear something like that. He said, "Yeah, I'd consider that." That's big coming from a guy who only wears solid color running shirts!!

The 10k with deferral of everything else is a great compromise to the weekend. I think we've danced around enough on the W&D thread that I hope you sign up for the challenge with Mr. A
doing his first 10k, for no other selfish reason than I want trip reports since going isn't even an option this year. The Poly is a great resort, and even if you are a normal, nice, person, I promise you feel really smug getting off the monorail and knowing you are staying there!I hope Avatarland is cool. My comfort is in that most things in Disney theme parks, from Tomorrowland to Epcot Future World to most of Animal Kingdom weren't built around a particular movie- we just like them because they are well done worlds that I like living in for a little bit. If I didn't know about Avatar movies and just saw this magical land with light up plants and flying animals I could ride in a theme park, would I be excited? Probably. Hopefully the wait is worth it.
As far as the discussion on Universal Studios- I have gone several times and always stayed at a Universal hotel so I can get front of the line privileges and while Harry Potter and Jurassic Park sections are great (seriously, ride Hogwarts Express both ways- it's different each way!) I overall find the two theme parks disappointing, I don't get motion sick like ever, but Universal has found a way to make that mot true. 90% of their rides are motion simulator, climb in something looka t a screen, get shaken around, and I always end up cutting the day short when I've had enough of feeling like I want to vomit.
I would be surprised if you need sleeves at all in May in California. It will be pretty warm. But, I do like either the blue or the one of each. As much as I LOVE the phoenix shirt, I'm opposed to matchy matchy cuteness on a fundamental level (emphasis on the mental) Have you been reading Pottermore about the American history of magic, BTW? Nerd tests for everyone!

I know I already said this on the Tink thread, but I was so excited when I saw that you were looking for a 10K bib. I remember a few short weeks ago when you were still frustrated that you couldn't run ... and now you're ready to start training for a 10K in 2 months. The progress you've made is truly amazing and inspiring! You are awesome!

So ... on to the important things ... any idea what you're wearing for the 10K?

(I apologize for my lack of replies, I was hit with an awful cold/flu thing from PHM and I'm just now starting to feel normal...3 weeks later!!)

So many things... Congrats on running and how well it's been going. That's such a good idea to take things a bit slower and see how your body is feeling & reacting. So far, it sounds like it's responding very well and that you're able to continue and even push yourself a little bit each time.

The new shoes & the Lucky Charm inkburn skirt are so very cool. Being Irish myself, I love anything Irish. I'm loving that skirt!!

CONGRATS on InkBurn Ambassador gig - that's so exciting, especially because it's a product you believe in & you are clearly a great supporter of their products. You'll do great!

Yay for the new Tink 15k for you - that will be fun you'll be able to still go and experience the trip & race with your mom.

WOOOOO for the Poly reservation! I think one day that may be a resort I put on my "must stay at" list. Hopefully with the new confirmed Wine & Dine info that was just put out, you didn't have to make any changes.

I'm glad you have been running more and that you found a bib for the 10k! Your running plans look good.
Thanks! I am too...I have never tried to get a bib so close to a race before, so I'm glad I was able to find one!
Yay on the continuing improvement and double YAY for doing the 10K and getting a bib for that. Seems like a very smart plan and you still get to enjoy 2 races which is awesome!! The training plan seems perfect and I'm glad Dr. Spine is onboard for you running more so long as you are careful about it and clearly you are being careful.
Thanks Gisele! I am a lot happier about this new plan for Tink weekend. I'd love to do the half, but I'd also love to not re-injure myself. I think this way I get my runDisney fix but am still being somewhat smart about getting back into things.

Yeah, he was very specific about what he thought my max distance should be right now. He initially said that beyond 6 miles may be a little iffy so I think capping the distance at 10K right now is perfect. I think he knew how badly I wanted to do the half, which is why he agreed to it, but I sort of could tell he didn't think it was a 100% great idea.
POLY!!!! Woohoo. That is so exciting. I'm sure you will have an amazing stay there.
AHHH I'm so excited! :teeth: I think part of me never ACTUALLY thought we could stay there, so we're super looking forward to it!
I showed Chris that circuit shirt and asked him if he'd wear something like that. He said, "Yeah, I'd consider that." That's big coming from a guy who only wears solid color running shirts!!
Yep, that was exactly Will's reaction. I've shown him the other men's cut shirts and he's said they are too flashy for him...but he likes this one. Part of me wants him to get just as addicted as I am, but then again, if he does...that's less INKnBURN money for ME to spend. HMMM...
The 10k with deferral of everything else is a great compromise to the weekend. I think we've danced around enough on the W&D thread that I hope you sign up for the challenge with Mr. A doing his first 10k, for no other selfish reason than I want trip reports since going isn't even an option this year.
Right now I'm planning on the 5K + challenge. Mr. A is debating on the 10K or the 5K...I drew up a little 10K plan for him and I know he can do it, but he's nervous! He's still got a few days to decide though. :)
The Poly is a great resort, and even if you are a normal, nice, person, I promise you feel really smug getting off the monorail and knowing you are staying there!
Hahahaha...I know what you mean! I remember feeling like that when we stayed at the Grand Floridian. :)
I hope Avatarland is cool. My comfort is in that most things in Disney theme parks, from Tomorrowland to Epcot Future World to most of Animal Kingdom weren't built around a particular movie- we just like them because they are well done worlds that I like living in for a little bit. If I didn't know about Avatar movies and just saw this magical land with light up plants and flying animals I could ride in a theme park, would I be excited? Probably. Hopefully the wait is worth it.
I agree with you - I feel like in the hands of WDI it will be pretty awesome. It still strikes me as SUPER odd...but on the other hand, the parks are getting so many new things in the next couple of years that I feel I really shouldn't complain. :)
As far as the discussion on Universal Studios- I have gone several times and always stayed at a Universal hotel so I can get front of the line privileges and while Harry Potter and Jurassic Park sections are great (seriously, ride Hogwarts Express both ways- it's different each way!) I overall find the two theme parks disappointing, I don't get motion sick like ever, but Universal has found a way to make that mot true. 90% of their rides are motion simulator, climb in something looka t a screen, get shaken around, and I always end up cutting the day short when I've had enough of feeling like I want to vomit.
I SO agree with you on the disappointment, especially with the screens and the motion simulators. I can't handle those types of rides at Disney either (Mission: Space green side and Star Tours), so the fact that much of Universal is like that is a big turn-off for me.

And I DID ride Hogwarts express both ways - I remembered you saying to do that! I thought it was just amazing. I was SO glad that I'd managed not to ready any spoilers or see pictures or videos or anything. It was so perfect I think I actually teared up a bit! #nerd
I would be surprised if you need sleeves at all in May in California. It will be pretty warm. But, I do like either the blue or the one of each. As much as I LOVE the phoenix shirt, I'm opposed to matchy matchy cuteness on a fundamental level (emphasis on the mental)
I think you're right about the sleeves. I can see myself either not wearing them at all or ditching them pretty early on (and by "ditching them" I mean "folding them up and pocketing them"). Lady Fawkes will rise from the ashes either way. :teeth:
Have you been reading Pottermore about the American history of magic, BTW? Nerd tests for everyone!
I have NOT. But I have seen that that is a thing that is going on now, so I need to get on that! Weekend reading!!
I know I already said this on the Tink thread, but I was so excited when I saw that you were looking for a 10K bib. I remember a few short weeks ago when you were still frustrated that you couldn't run ... and now you're ready to start training for a 10K in 2 months. The progress you've made is truly amazing and inspiring! You are awesome!
Thank you so much for the kind words, Sarah! :) That's something that is nice about having this thread, is that if I get frustrated now I can go back a couple of weeks and be reminded of the progress I have made. I've been frustrated this week with my slooooow pace, but I just need to keep reminding myself that it's only been 3 weeks...and let's face it, it's not like I was ever going to compete to win or anything!
So ... on to the important things ... any idea what you're wearing for the 10K?
NO!!! :eek: I need to get on that! Priorities!!
(I apologize for my lack of replies, I was hit with an awful cold/flu thing from PHM and I'm just now starting to feel normal...3 weeks later!!)
Hey Mel! I'm so glad you're starting to feel better...sounds like a lot of people got what you did. Ugh!!
So many things... Congrats on running and how well it's been going. That's such a good idea to take things a bit slower and see how your body is feeling & reacting. So far, it sounds like it's responding very well and that you're able to continue and even push yourself a little bit each time.
Ah...thanks. I'll admit, the patience has been hard for me. I am NOT a patient person! I'm trying to be smart about things...
The new shoes & the Lucky Charm inkburn skirt are so very cool. Being Irish myself, I love anything Irish. I'm loving that skirt!!
I'm the same way - I LOVE anything Irish, so I had to have the Lucky Charm stuff. :) I've got my shamrock scarf all ready to wear on St. Patty's Day...and I'm officially becoming my mother having said that. :eek:
CONGRATS on InkBurn Ambassador gig - that's so exciting, especially because it's a product you believe in & you are clearly a great supporter of their products. You'll do great!
Thank you!! :) I'm a little nervous about it...hoping to do a good job.
Yay for the new Tink 15k for you - that will be fun you'll be able to still go and experience the trip & race with your mom.
I think so too! I hope she has fun...she's not QUITE the Disney fan that I am, but I think she'll enjoy the 5K. :)
WOOOOO for the Poly reservation! I think one day that may be a resort I put on my "must stay at" list. Hopefully with the new confirmed Wine & Dine info that was just put out, you didn't have to make any changes.
I did not have to make any changes! Yay! :) I'm a little disappointed with the changes to the weekend overall (mostly that the half isn't a night race anymore, because I thought that was so cool and unique)...but more than that I am happy that they kept the theme as Food & Wine overall, and I LOVE that the 10K is Remy and the challenge is Lumiere. :)

Ok, I'm going to be a little bit cheesy, but I wanted to say that I'm proud of you. Coming back from an injury is not small thing and I'm sure for your plan plan plan personality type the loss of control must be devastating. You are doing things smart and we are all cheering for you. Enjoy the warm fuzzies. :cheer2:

How awesome you'll be doing the 10k too! The 5k & 10k look like they have lots of park time so that should be fun! Glad you have a plan going and won't overdo it right away, that's the biggest struggle coming off injuries. So, with the travel agent do you then not have to use the 1 night room if you don't want too or do you have it and just not use it? Just curious as I've never used a TA. Good luck getting back into training, pixie dust will be on your side I'm sure!

Congrats on the InB ambassadorship... I've done more running gear shopping off of tips from your threads than just about anywhere else. Definitely changed the ads algorithm on my FB lol.

I'm the opposite of you in that I do like the Fairies (don't judge!), and Tinkerbell was the first runDisney race that tempted me. I want to make it out to the West coast eventually. It'll be great to hear about the two races that weekend in your trip report. You might finally convince me to do it. As for November? Enjoy your stay at the Poly! So jealous :)

No spoilers from me!!

Yes, we did go into the bank! Forbidden Journey was 100% the worst I've ever felt on a ride, but you're right, the queue was amazing. I just need to walk through the queue again, slowly.

I like the bit with the holograms up on the balcony... It's a shame they didn't have the original actors for Diagon Alley and the Hogwarts Express, Harmione's voice on the train was hilarious!

Yes, I did know that about it being in the UK first, and I know what happened to the Frank Underwood character in that version, but I didn't know it was only 4 episodes?! I think I may have known it was a book but maybe not?

I've actually not seen it myself so I couldn't tell you lol
BUT... I DID finish House of Cards at the weekend... LOVED IT!!!

I'm doing the 5K and the 10K, but not the half.

YAH!!! I’m so glad you found a solution that works for you AND lets you run at Tink weekend!

And it looks like you’re doing W&D as well! I was surprised to read about all the changes and how late they’ve announced it! BUT it’s great that it’s a challenge weekend now and the fact that it’s Lumiere’s actually made me check flight prices and see if it would be possible for me to go! Then I gave myself a reality check… stupid bling…

Ok, I'm going to be a little bit cheesy, but I wanted to say that I'm proud of you. Coming back from an injury is not small thing and I'm sure for your plan plan plan personality type the loss of control must be devastating. You are doing things smart and we are all cheering for you. Enjoy the warm fuzzies. :cheer2:
Aw, thanks. That's nice of you to say! :)

"The loss of control must be devastating"...you are SO right!
How awesome you'll be doing the 10k too! The 5k & 10k look like they have lots of park time so that should be fun! Glad you have a plan going and won't overdo it right away, that's the biggest struggle coming off injuries. So, with the travel agent do you then not have to use the 1 night room if you don't want too or do you have it and just not use it? Just curious as I've never used a TA. Good luck getting back into training, pixie dust will be on your side I'm sure!
I didn't get a 1-night room with the bib, I got a 1-day park ticket. My mom is going to use that. :)
Congrats on the InB ambassadorship... I've done more running gear shopping off of tips from your threads than just about anywhere else. Definitely changed the ads algorithm on my FB lol.
HAHA! Thanks! :p I am nothing if not an enabler.
I'm the opposite of you in that I do like the Fairies (don't judge!), and Tinkerbell was the first runDisney race that tempted me. I want to make it out to the West coast eventually. It'll be great to hear about the two races that weekend in your trip report. You might finally convince me to do it. As for November? Enjoy your stay at the Poly! So jealous :)
Don't worry, I won't judge you! :) I've heard great things about the Tink courses (the 5K starts AND ends in a park...what?!) so I'm excited for that!

Super duper excited to stay at the Poly...thanks!!
I like the bit with the holograms up on the balcony... It's a shame they didn't have the original actors for Diagon Alley and the Hogwarts Express, Harmione's voice on the train was hilarious!
I have to admit, I barely saw the holograms. We got to the park before it opened and were one of the first parties to queue up, so we were FLYING through the queue. Some day I would like to go back through it more slowly.
I've actually not seen it myself so I couldn't tell you lol
BUT... I DID finish House of Cards at the weekend... LOVED IT!!!
I thought it was SO good! I seriously think the last minute or so was my favorite part of the season!
YAH!!! I’m so glad you found a solution that works for you AND lets you run at Tink weekend!
Me too! Excited!!
And it looks like you’re doing W&D as well! I was surprised to read about all the changes and how late they’ve announced it! BUT it’s great that it’s a challenge weekend now and the fact that it’s Lumiere’s actually made me check flight prices and see if it would be possible for me to go! Then I gave myself a reality check… stupid bling…
Yep! I'm going to post my thoughts on the change in a second...I would say that I am not surprised by them (I really think everyone and their brother could have predicted the addition of a 10K/challenge, for example) but I'm not 100% happy about it. Oh well!

Tinker Bell 15K Training - Week 1
Monday, March 7 - Sunday, March 13, 2016

7 miles completed

Apologies in advance...between my follow-up with Dr. Spine and the changes to Wine & Dine weekend, this will be a big wall o' text. I just have many thoughts, and I need to vent a bit. Also - Happy Pi Day, y'all!

INKnBURN's Magnum PI shirt...get it?
25689534911_eb06be021e_z.jpg

Monday, March 7 (Lifting)

Starting a new 8-week lifting cycle today...after I finish this one I might make another appointment with the trainer here at work who set up this plan for me - just to see if it should be tweaked or what the next step is. Still feeling good in the weight room...except that I think both of my hamstrings are still sore from lifting on SATURDAY. :faint: Not fun!

But what IS fun is some other stuff that is happening this week:

1. Today, I should get added to the Ambassador Facebook page for INKnBURN, as well as have access to the Ambassador section of their website (EDIT: That happened! Woohoo!)
  2. Tomorrow is Wine & Dine Registration (EDIT: well...we all know what happened with that. My thoughts below, I know you're waiting on the edge of your seats! :p)
  3. Wednesday is my follow-up with Dr. Spine...hoping for him to clear me to start REALLY training for some stuff! (Already posted about that a bit)
  4. I can make my ADRs for Tink Weekend (see small update below)
(4) For anyone who doesn't know, Disneyland ADRs aren't like WDW ADRs. At WDW you can make ADRs for the first 10 days of your trip, 180 days out. For Disneyland, you can make ADRs 60 days out, but just for that one day, not for the length of your trip. They DO have online ADRs, so that aspect of it is pretty easy...so this morning I could make an ADR for a post-5K breakfast for me and my mom (also - people say you don't need ADRs for Disneyland, but I'm too much of a planner to NOT have any). However, this may be a solo breakfast, as it's in a park - my mom is talking about only getting a 1-day ticket for the weekend...a 1-park, 1-day ticket!! :eek: Clearly she does not share my Disney love (EDIT: talked to her a bit later and she's at least thinking of getting a 1-day hopper...baby steps). We may be splitting up for portions of the trip - I can't fault her for wanting to see other parts of California, and we're both very alike in that we value alone time every once in awhile, so I think it'll still work out...but really, one park day mom?! WAHH!!

Tuesday, March 8 (2-mile run)
This was probably the best run I have had since I started back up again...my calf felt better the longer I went, and I was huffing and puffing way less. Also notable: This was the first time in years I have run in shorts! After the 2013 WDW Marathon I made the switch to SparkleSkirts, and I have been running in those ever since (with the occasional switch to capris/tights). Today I ran in a pair of shorts from INKnBURN - the New Leaf shorts. I've wanted to try running in the InB shorts for awhile and figured I should do it while my runs are still pretty short, in case I ended up chafed. I Body Glide'd up my inner thighs, just in case...

25158009423_9fecd82877_z.jpg

^^post-run, hence the red, sweaty face

...and it actually went pretty well! The weird thing was, the shorts DID ride up...but only during my walking breaks. During my run intervals they stayed in place. Once I discovered SparkleSkirts I thought I'd never run in anything else, but the realization that the shorts can work for me gives me some options. :) And you can't tell from the picture, but there are 2 decent-sized pockets built into the shorts, so that'll be nice for holding gels or a house key or whatever.

Anyway, the run: 2 miles today! And I upped my run intervals to 1:30 (sticking with 1:00 walk breaks). Doing my runs at 5.5MPH (10:54/mile pace) and my walk breaks at 3.3MPH (18:00ish/mile)...total time was 25:40, 12:50/mile pace. I might try to mess around with upping the run intervals on Thursday and see where that gets me. I'd really like to be out of the 13:00/mile overall pace for good!

Other stuff:

1. Obviously not registering for any Wine & Dine races today :rolleyes2...we'll see what, if anything, is announced for this weekend (again...see below)
  2. I made another ADR for Disneyland! Wheeeee
  3. This morning I put in a request to get a standing desk at work. I've been thinking about this for awhile now (my cousin has had one for a couple of years and swears by it)...especially with my back issues and the fact that sitting for long periods of time seems to aggravate things, it might be a good change for me. The model that people in my department have can be pulled up to standing height or pushed back down if a person wants to sit in a chair for a bit, so having that flexibility would be nice. We'll see if it gets approved for me...I'm going to ask Dr. Spine about it (TOMORROW!!) and see what he thinks. Maybe if I get a doctor's note I can get the process expedited? HMM...
Wednesday, March 9 (Lifting)
Good workout today, but nothing really entertaining to write about.

The big news for today is that I had my follow-up with Dr. Spine! I haad a list of questions (14 of them!) and a potential running schedule typed out and ready for the appointment. I have said before that he will think I am insane...I wasn’t joking. :teeth:

I think he actually liked my printouts - one with questions and another with a potential training plan. :teeth: At this point I was thinking about trying the Pixie Dust Challenge, but as I posted a few days ago, I'm going with the 5K + 10K instead.

Other things for the appointment...I'm progressing just as well as he expected, which was reassuring. I'm cleared to do yoga again (!), and he stressed again that I didn’t get this injury from running - which is an annoyance that I've had, that I know people think running caused this (co-workers and family members have implied as much) - like I was irresponsible with my training or something. He actually said it was most likely genetics-related...so THANKS MOM AND DAD!! :rotfl: He seemed pleased with my lifting 3 days/running 3 days schedule, and he also wrote me a prescription for a standing desk at work. So hopefully that will come through soon-ish. He also said that as long as I’m "training" (so...pretty much always), I should be doing the PT exercises, and they they'll help the leg pain. So that's some extra motivation to be a little better about getting the PT in. It was a really good appointment overall, and I go back to see him in late May. :) My one regret is that I forgot to ask him more about the foot numbness I'm experiencing, which hasn't really improved since I last saw him in late January - I'm sort of used to it by now, but on the other hand, I wouldn't mind it going away.

Thursday, March 10 (2-mile run)
Today I kept the 1:30/1:00 intervals, but did all of my running intervals at 5.6 MPH (10:45/mile pace). Total time was 25:21, 12:40/mile pace. This one was tough, and I hate to admit it, but I'm pretty discouraged with my pace right now. I know I shouldn't be, since I haven't even been back to running for 3 weeks yet...but I am. Keeping it real. I know it'll come back, but BLECH!!

This was also the day that I found the Tink 10K bib. With that in the works, I've changed around my ADRs, and I think I'm set for Tink weekend - 2 breakfasts (because I LOOOOVE breakfast food) and 1 dinner. Should be fun! Now I just need that PDC deferral link to be posted.

Oh boy...now I get to pick out another race outfit!! :hyper:

Friday, March 11 (Lifting + Yoga)
That's right - YOGA. WHAAAAT.

(After lifting.)

I tried to arrive to class somewhat early and was able to talk to the teacher about my nerve issues ahead of time. One thing that my studio does that I really like is called "hands-on assists" from the teachers - when you're in a pose, they basically come over and either correct your form or sort of move you to coax your body to go a little deeper. So I told her that I really like the assists, but that my left leg is sort of sensitive right now. She said she'd definitely keep it in mind.

I was very, very nervous for this first class, because stretching on my left side is still painful for me - but overall this class went REALLY well, much better than I expected! The stretching definitely did hurt...the worst was the standing splits pose on my left side, which I used to be pretty good at.

Not THIS good, mind you...but pretty good:

15511005062011011308.jpg

Today I had to use blocks (so I had each hand on a yoga block so that I didn't have to bend down as far...can't reach the floor again just yet), and even that was still painful. And I could still feel the weakness in my left leg at times during other poses. But I could also feel how much stronger I've gotten from being consistent with lifting, and I think that helped me a LOT today. I kept up pretty well and everything felt better and better. I am so happy that I went! I’d love to fit in a second or even 3rd class each week...if only I had more hours in the day. :)

Saturday, March 12 (3-mile run)
Week 1 of my 15K training is done!

Definitely overdressed for this run...the pullover was overkill.
25758540156_2f30c3f24e_z.jpg

Today's run was 3 miles - still at the 1:30/1:00 intervals. Total time was 35:44, average pace of 11:55/mile!! Speed demon! All of my run intervals were less than 10:30/mile with some in the low 9s, and I felt pretty good today! It was nice to know I could still run "fast."

But let me tell you...I was WRECKED for the rest of the day! I felt sooooo wiped from this run. Maybe best to relax the pace a bit for awhile...I need to get over my issues with what my pace is right now and just accept it!

Sunday, March 13 (Rest)
Glorious laziness.

And now...my thoughts on the Wine & Dine changes.

- No surprise at all that they added the 10K/challenge...so whatever with that. I think I'm one of the few people here on the DIS or anywhere that doesn't necessarily think that every since race weekend needs a challenge, but whatever.
- Not super surprised that the half marathon was moved to a morning race. I'm definitely disappointed, though - I got to do a "proper" Wine & Dine once (in 2013), and even though I was fighting some foot pain, I thought the race experience was just awesome, and so unique. It was like a 13.1-mile party, so I'm going to miss that. It's not a deal-breaker, but I wish they hadn't moved it.
- I'm lucky that the shuffling around doesn't mess up the weekend as a whole for me - I feel for the people who were counting on the 5K being on Saturday, so they could do it with their kids and not have to pull them out of school...or those who can't take that Monday off from work, meaning they will have to miss the after-party.
- I can't say I love how similar every since runDisney race weekend is becoming - a 5K, 10K and half marathon, with a challenge thrown in. I get why they are doing it though.
- I am NOT impressed with runDisney's customer service lately. I thought it was crappy of them to put off delaying early registration until less than 24 hours before it was due to start - it shows disorganization on their part and a lack of respect for us, their customers. As I sit at a computer all day for my job, it's relatively easy for me to be around and ready to register without having to change my schedule, but there are people out there who need to request time off so that they can be near a computer or whatever in advance. So with the late-notice switch, maybe they can't do that now, even if they were ready for the originally posted date. And runDisney's phone support was terrible this week - I called with questions and was flat-out lied to by the CMs on the phone. And I realize that they were most likely CPs that were SUPER caught off-guard by all of the calls and didn't know what to say, but I would have preferred them saying that details were still being worked out or whatever...that's on runDisney, not those poor CMs that had to field all of those calls. Also...I'm seeing that they aren't accepting deferrals for Dark Side weekend for this year, which is making me INCREDIBLY nervous that deferrals are going away, period - and I wouldn't be able to defer my PDC entry. That would be crazy infuriating after having JUST bought a separate 10K bib. I know runDisney doesn't owe me an opportunity to defer, but with no refunds or transfers, I'm hoping they keep the deferral option.

But most disappointing of all has been the reaction of some of the members of this board on the Wine & Dine thread here in the runDisney section. (EDIT: This section was longer at one point, but upon further reflection I don't want to prolong the bad feelings, so I'm cutting it way down. Time for me to just grow a thicker skin at let it gooooo!).

ETA: The best thing about the W&D changes - Mr. A is going to do the 10K with me! :yay: Not only that, but he had the idea for us to wear matching INKnBURN shirts for the race...just because he knew it would make me happy. :lovestruc SWOOOON. He's a keeper! So yeah...while I can get upset/bothered over what goes on in the online world, the real world is still pretty great.

Well...I feel better. :o Happy Monday! :)

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter