Tulum Ruins tour

chirurgeon

I am a delicate flower and need my sleep.
I had been thinking about taking this tour, but the 4 hours of transit time is rather daunting. Has anyone taken this tour? Is it worth all that time on buses and ferries?

Kim

We're in the same boat (literally and figuratively) Kim. :boat:

I kind of feel like its something that I should do, simply because its so unique and its not like I'd get a chance to see it otherwise. But I'm also not sure I want to spend all the time on a bus getting to/from there.

I'll be interested to hear of past experiences too. Some other reports of these bus rides haven't been too wonderful. I hope Disney has selected better companies.

I've done it and I must say it's not my cup of tea. There is a nice view looking over a cliff down to the water. Other than that, it's not very pretty and many things look pretty much the same. There are lots and lots of iguanas there! They were kind of cute to watch. I also thought the market there was nothing but a big rip off and really didn't have any merchandise that couldn't be bought at many other places. I would not spend hours to go there. That's just my opinion. Others may find it fascinating. No one in our group of 12 did.

If you're interested in the history and the ruins, it's worth it. Nice view at the cliffs. I have to say though it was the hottest I have ever been and we went in December. We returned to the port with a bit of time to still shop too. The bus trip wasn't too bad... and neither was the ferry (it had free wifi!)

I've done it and I'm glad I did it but I won't do it again.

Thanks for the input so far. (keep it coming...)
Count us among those who are trying to decide what excursions to do and what to skip. Neither of us has ever been to Mexico, the ruins or anything like it- so we're game for unique ideas worth our time and money.

if you do decide to go to this....after you take the tour, or if it is just to hot....bring your swim gear and swim at the great beach there....
Bring your camera....very cool

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

We did this the NYE cruise (2008) weather was great, warm - about mid 80's

We booked thru DCL

We left the ship about 9:30 a.m., walked from ship down pier to the ferry - 45 min ferry ride (and it was rough seas), off ferry - all got stopped to have family pictures taken, lined up into our tour groups, 5 minute or so walk to the parking lot (no stopping along the way) where the buses were parked.

About a good hour bus ride, short stop at a roadside store - what I call a tourist trap - you could use the facilities - purchase trinkets - as we boarded the bus we got our lunch - Subway sandwich, chips, muffin and water, and then maybe 30 minutes to the ruins.

Our tour came with wrist bands to ride up to the ruins,

up the stone stairs

8352cruise_293-med.jpg

through a stone tunnel and the ruins

8352cruise_304-med.jpg

8352cruise_299-med.jpg

8352cruise_324-med.jpg

This is the only ruin that was built by the ocean - they still don't why for sure

Our guide spent sometime telling us about the ruins which was pretty good

You get some time to walk down about 3 flights of stairs to the ocean, walk the ruins some more, there was one little gift shop had some ruin merchandise, bottled water and bottled pop, restrooms, a line of street vendors - very pushy vendors - and at your appointed time, back to the bus for the ride back to ferry. Our ferry ride back was very very rough and I think we were back on board the ship between 4 - 5. After the ferry ride back, we didn't feel that good to explore anymore

The stone steps up to the ruins are rough stone and no handrails - but you could use the wall going up.

For the stairs up and down to the beach - think of 3 flights of wood stairs - they did have hand rails - so many stairs, a platform turn slightly more stairs - another platform etc. I didn't go down the stairs but my daughter did

There was very little shade - at one point I was standing under a little tree for a few minutes

Our bus had a potty at the back and the ferry does have potties also

Hope this helps

:)

I think we are going to pass on Tulum. As Hope said, if it takes longer to get there and back than the tour time, then its a pass. I will have to look and see what else calls our names for that day.

Kim

If you want a cultural excursion then thisd is the one!!

I would roccomend this tour a 100% it is a shame if you miss this.
It all depends on what you want and how you make your day out of it, if you want beaches and swim don't do this tour you can swim but only for a few minutes.
If you want to party don't do this tour....
If you want to see something and learn something GO on this tour!!!

Yep it is a long tour a whole day tour but it's worth it.
It starts with a boat ride back to the main land.
Then a walk to the busses, no time for shopping but nice to see.
Then the busride, hafway thru you have a stop where you can shop for souvenirs and for snacks, yes it's where all the tourists stop and yes it isn't an backalley shop where you can find that one souvenir that nobody else has but it's a nice stop.
Here you get lunch (sandwich, drink, snack).
then when you arrive at Tulum you can explore on your own or with a guide. I recommend the guide.
After the tour you have a bit of free time to stroll around and to get a drink or whatever you want.
Then the ride back to the busstop, walk to the boat and boatride back to Cozumel.

Again i think it is well worth the time to get to Tulum and to get back.
Yes you spend more time to get there and back but it's still worth it.

I have not done the Tulum ruins excursion on a Disney cruise, but I did it in 2006 on another cruise line and while it was a fun different experience to have a memory of - I would not do it again.

First, it was HOT. I mean SO. HOT. Hotter than Animal Kingdom in July HOT. We were there in May, and the temps were well above 100. There is not a lot of shade and it's a lot of walking once you get there.

Second, it is a really long trip to get there and back PLUS the tendering to and from the ship.

There was a beautiful beach resort right where we got off our tender. If I went back, I would go there, and skip the ruins.

Was it interesting? Yes. Was it unique (compared to a beach visit)? Yes. But I was way too hot (my asthma inhaler was hardly helpful), and once you've sweat it out under the mexican sun in the ruins, you have to board a bus full of stinky sweaty people for the ride back!

First, it was HOT. I mean SO. HOT. Hotter than Animal Kingdom in July HOT.

That's true it was hot when we where there in May, not unbarrable but doable hot.

But this cruise is in December and while it still can be warm i don't think we have to be afraid that it will be July hot during that time.........

That's true it was hot when we where there in May, not unbarrable but doable hot.

But this cruise is in December and while it still can be warm i don't think we have to be afraid that it will be July hot during that time.........

Ummm we went in Dec and it was pretty unbearable. It wasn't warm... It was blazing hot.

I know we can swim with stingrays and dolphins.

Is there an option to swim with turtles?
Just seems like a nice calming thing to do. Plus they are large enough they should be easy to see in photos, lol.

Maybe even a beach where they are known to be?

Having fun planning events.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter