Trip Report: Italy - Amalfi Coast June 15-22 2016 with pre-days in Rome

TXTransplant

DIS Veteran
We actually don't leave until tomorrow, but I like to do trip reports as I go (getting older and the memory isn't as good as it used to be), so I thought I'd go ahead and start this thread while I have a few quiet-ish moments.

Traveling are myself and my Junior Adventurer son (age 11 1/2). This is our second ABD, as we did the Germany trip last June. We did not do any pre- or post-days last year, and since I could not get a direct flight from our home airport to anywhere in Italy, I thought pre-days in Rome would be a good option.

We are flying KLM to Amsterdam and then on to Rome. Some of you may have seen my post about luggage requirements. KLM's are very strict, and it was difficult to find a carry-on that met the specific size requirements. I wound up with a Delsey Chatillon expandable two-wheel trolley. It looks like I'm going to be able to fit 2-3 days worth of clothes and necessities for myself and my son in that bag, so I'm happy with the capacity considering how small it actually is. I'll be sure to follow-up on this topic after our flights.

Our itinerary consists of three pre-days in Rome, after which we take the train to Naples where we will be picked up by ABD. Our ABD tour starts in Sorrento, where we will tour the Amalfi Coast, and then we travel to Florence. We have day-trips in Pompeii, Pisa, Lucca, and Siena.

I originally booked the Waldorf Astoria in Rome at a really good rate; however, I was not happy with the location (way on the west side of town on a hill, which pretty much meant we wouldn't be able to walk anywhere). In February, I bit the bullet and booked a studio-type apartment through Airbnb for about $160/night. We are right in the middle of the city, with the Pantheon and Piazza Navona being a couple of blocks in either direction. Our host is sort of acting like our concierge and has arranged for a driver to pick us up at the airport (he will also arrange our transportation to the train station). I'm excited to try this new method of lodging and will be sure to report how it goes.

I've been to both Rome and Florence, but it was almost 16 years ago when I was a cheap college student. This time I opted to book several tours in Rome through Walks with Italy. We will be doing a walking tour of Rome on Sunday evening, the VIP Colosseum/Roman Forum tour on Monday, the early-entry Pristine Sistine tour on Tuesday, and a pasta-making class on Tuesday night. Monday morning I plan to take my son up to the top of the Dome at St. Peter's, since I don't think that's included in the WoI tour. I've done the Dome before and didn't feel like a tour was necessary.

Other than that, my plan is to eat gelato at least once, if not twice, a day, drink limoncello, and live la dolce vita for 10 days. If anyone has any suggestions or must-dos in any of these cities, please share! I'll also be sharing pics via Instagram. My account is private, but if anyone wants to follow, send me a PM and I will tell you my user name so that you can send me a request.

Last edited:
I can't wait to follow your trip. Rome is a wonderful city just to walk and explore. You can refill your water bottles at any number of public fountains cast around the city. This is the same water that runs throughout the city. Don't forget that in most churches and the Vatican there is a dress code. They can turn you away if you are in violation. We find that "D.K. Eyewitness Travel" print wonderful travel books specific to most European cities and areas and the pull out maps are great.

So glad you are writing a trip report! We did Viva Italia two years ago, but went a couple of days early for a Pompeii tour with a private guide who also drove us to Positano for the afternoon. The Amalfi Coast is magnificent! Your plans for Rome look great. Wear very comfortable shoes for all the walking on the cobblestones. Our favorite gelato place was called Grom right off Piazza Navona. Looking forward to your trip report!

Thanks for doing this report! This trip holds a lot of interest for us. Chris, our SE Asia guide has guided it before and raved.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip! We did several of the same activities as this ABD on the ABD Med cruise add-on I did, but I'm sure it's not the same as staying in the middle of everything and having multiple days there. Enjoy, and Safe Travels!

Sayhello

I can't wait to hear about your trip! This is the trip we keep going back to look at and we would probably add days in Rome as well.

Have a fantastic time!

For the best pizza EVER you should visit Pizzarium. It's a little off the beaten path and doesn't have indoor seating (we ate on the curb), but it is the tastiest pizza we have ever had! If you decide to visit get some rice balls to go. They are AMAZING as well! You can take the Metro and walk a block.

Have fun! Can't wait to follow along....

So, we are at our gate waiting to depart. Other than an unexpected freeway closure and detour, arrival went smoothly. The ticketing agent did not even check our carry-ons. The agents to my right and left were weighing other passenger's carry-ons, but ours did not! So, we will board with a backpack, tote bag, and the Delsey.

Well, we made it. I held my breath as we were boarding the flight to Rome. They kept making announcements that there wasn't enough space on the plane for all the carry-ons and needed volunteers to check their bags. A guy just ahead of us was told his bag was too big and was forced to check it. We made it past inspection, and even our checked bag was returned to us fairly quickly.

Our Airbnb host booked a driver to pick us up at the airport. All I have to say about that is we survived. In Italy, tailgating is an art and the lines on the road are only suggestions. It was only 50 Euros, though, so I can't complain.

Our apartment is still being cleaned. Evidently the last guests did not vacate when they were supposed to. It's small but cute and very convenient. I'll take some pics once the cleaning crew is gone.

Tonight we have a walking tour of the city landmarks with Walks Of Italy. I'll be sure to post reviews of the activities I booked through them, too.

I'm excited to read about your adventure! I'm sure it will be spectacular. Thanks for taking the time during your travels to post.

Glad to hear you arrived. Wait until you get a look at those traffic circles and the Vespers. I can't wait for more.

Walking through Rome at night is so beautiful! Enjoy!

Well, it's after 8 pm and the sun hasn't set, and we're pooped, so we're calling it a night. So, it was more like a late afternoon walking tour. Still got some great shots, though. Our Walks of Italy guide did a great job, and we got gelato!

I'm having the same trouble this year as I did last...I'm getting an error message saying the picture files are too big when I try to upload them directly from my phone. So, the day's pictures will be delayed.

To elaborate on the WoI tour...we met in Piazza Navona and walked to the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and the Spanish Steps. We also stopped for gelato (included in the cost of the tour). Before the tour starts, you're given a little receiver to wear around your neck and a single headphone to wear on your ear. You can hear everything the tour guide says, and she did a great job of keeping us together in some big crowds. It's really great to walk through these landmarks/monuments and have someone explaining the history and stories behind them. Otherwise, you just look at stuff with no context (granted, it's really cool stuff).

The Pantheon just amazes me. To be that amazing and that old and be smack dab in the middle of the city (and about a block from our apartment) - incredible. Trevi Fountain is also gorgeous. No pics of the Spanish Steps, as they are being refurbished. And, as a whole, Rome isn't the most beautiful/picturesque city. There is graffiti everywhere and it's pretty urban/gritty. But it's just so old! The mix of ancient and modern gets me every time. Also, I love the way these monuments reveal themselves. It's almost like they are hidden; at some point you turn a corner and BAM, there one is!

Last edited:
Maybe if you sent the photos in groups of 3 at a time.

Tedious but might work ... enjoy watching the Soccer matches .... And watch out for rain

Rome - Day 2: We started out the day by heading to St. Peter's to climb the dome. I intended to leave by 730, but we ended up getting out the door about 20 min later. St. Peter's square was all set up for what I can only assume is a Papal audience on Wednesday, so it was hard to get good pics. We then proceeded through the metal detectors (sad to see just how much the world has changed since my last visit in 2000) and proceeded to follow the signs for the dome climb.

NOTE: the dress code does not seem to be enforced for the dome climb. I had a cardigan on over a modest tank top. Needless to say, on the climb, the cardi came off. There was no one checking this, and I didn't really worry about it since you are only in the main part of the church long enough to exit (we will be touring the church tomorrow, so all we did was the climb).

Even at 815 in the morning, the cupola was pretty crowded. The climb was pleasant, but when you get to the top, there are more people. It can be hard to get good pics.

Overall, this is a fantastic experience that should not be missed when you are in Rome. The climb is a one of a kind type thing (we only took the stairs - did not pay extra for the elevator), and the views at the top are fantastic, even with the crowds. It really is very memorable.

After that, we made a quick stop by our apartment before heading out to find lunch on the way to our Colosseum tour that started at 130. Let me take this moment to say that eating in Rome is, well, a challenge. If you want to get up early enough to beat the crowds at the Vatican or do one of the skip the line tours, nothing is going to be open for breakfast. Since we had an apartment with a small fridge, we bought yogurt, salami and prosciutto, and bread to eat for breakfast. Similarly, when we were ready to eat lunch at 1130 or noon, most places were only open with a limited lunch/brunch menu. The good news is, restaurants/cafes/take away counters are everywhere. We haven't experienced anything to rave about, yet, but the food hasn't been bad, either. Frankly, I'd be content to drink wine and eat gelato all day, but my junior adventurer actually wants food.

Having trouble typing tonight - see next post.

Last edited:
My iPhone is going bonkers, but let's try this again...

Over three hours this afternoon was spent on the Walks of Italy VIP Colosseum/Palatine Hill/Roman Forum tour. I can't rave enough about this! Our guide was amazing and we saw some really special parts of the Colosseum. This tour is definitely worth the price of admission, and I wouldn't try to tackle the Colosseum/Forum without it. The crowds are crazy and you will just be wandering around looking a really old stuff. Book this tour to do it right.

I will follow up when my phone decides to behave.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter