Trip Report for December 6 - 11, 2015

Fast Eddie

Earning My Ears
Stayed in SSR. Good location and nice room. Monday Day One: Went to DTD, sorry, Disney Springs. Wow, lots of people, everyplace is crowded. Dinner at RFC, crowded, food was good. Day two: Went to the Studios, crowded, our first FP, the GMR, it was down. second FP, TSM, crowded. third FP, ST, not crowded, nice changes to ride. Why so crowded! Day Two: MK, Very crowded. Wall to wall people. First FP, PotC, crowded, people in front of boats got wet. Still one of my favorites. No more FP's. 7DMT was a 90 minute wait, forget it. HM was a 20 minute wait. Still one of my favorites. Buzz was a 20 minute wait. Wife beat me this time. CoP was down. Day Three: Epcot, Now crowed at first but by 10:00AM it was crowded. Why aren't these children in school!! TT was a 60 minute wait. LS was a 45 minute wait. FP for Land, good place to rest. Had dinner at Tappan Edo, Good food and service. Day four: AK, crowded, why so many people? Only had two FP's, KS, good ride and saw lots of animals, driver was funny. FP2, FLK, great show.
General comments: We had trouble with Magic Bands again. This trip my wife had problems getting into the parks each day. We did not have any problems with the MB's paying for food or merchandise. This is the second trip in a row that we have had problems with MB's for park admittance. Crowds, crowds, crowds. We normally travel to WDW during the off seasons just to avoid the crowds. This time that didn't work. Why all the people this time? I thought children are in school this week. Well I can tell you they where all at WDW this week.

Unfortunately from what I've experienced and read, there isn't much of an off season anymore. Kudos to Disney for being experts at increasing attendance. The Tier pricing may have some impact in the future. I really believe more attractions are needed and FP+ has hurt the overall experience by increasing general wait times. I know there are whole threads that argue the +/- of this! Just my 2 cents!

I have to echo sentiments about the crowds this week. I usually go this week and have a great time but not this year. Everything was beyond crowded. Had trouble leaving BWV almost every night with big traffic jams. I think I rode three rides all week as I refuse to wait in long lines to see things I have been on multiple times. I waited 60 minutes for Mine train as it was new and posted wait time was 40 minutes. This ride to me was not worth the wait. Too short and boring. Since I'm a long term DVC member , the recent changes to non expiring tickets has made me consider selling for the first time. I like to but 10 day tickets and only use what I want and keep the rest for future trips. Now you can't do that. I had a 5 day part hopper left on a 10 day ticket and had pay an enormous amount to get that one day rather than just buy another 10 day ticket . Can no longer get Fast passes if you get up early as they are all gone till late in the day. I booked some online but found that our plans often changed and so couldn't use them like we had in the past. I still enjoy the restaurants and the ambiance but the loss of non expiring passes is the last straw for me. The rides are tired and only a few are worth riding thus they get long lines . They have to upgrade both the quality and quantity of rides if they are going to herd this many people in every day. I'm wondering if there is any week that would be worth it anymore. So sad as I love the Boardwalk and the renovations were gorgeous. The CM;s were wonderful without exception all week but I felt like it was Christmas week .

We just returned from a 6 night stay a VWL December 6 to 11. I must echo the sentiment about crowds in the parks. I could't even get counter service food in the parks without long lines and no place to sit and eat it once served. We ate meals with out tray resting a top of trash cans. Never again.
Our stay at VWL was worse than the parks. The construction has a great deal of the property closed. The main pool has greatly reduced seating after the fence was put in. We couldn't find a seat at the pool during 3 visits. If we found a seat it was outside the fence near the bar or in the smoking section. We don't smoke. When the pool party is going on the speakers are so loud you can't even have a conversation let alone want to get in the pool. There is no leisure pool, just a big pit with workmen around with power saws cutting down trees. It is awful. We could not find a quiet place to sit outside. Our room was on the first floor opposite the side of the building where the construction is taking place, but the noise was still awful. Couldn't visit the parks as they were so crowded and couldn't relax at our resort. I want to sell my DVC points after this trip. This is not the experience I was promised when I bought my Disney Points. Bait and Switch is what it feels like.
We actually got on Magic Express early and spent extra time at the airport (and I dislike airports )but I could have a relaxed conversation with my husband there. I could not do that at WL once we checked out.

I booked VWL in April and was told in August about the construction. I asked to be booked in a different resort. Nothing available. Oh and the package promised by the Disney Recovery people never materialized. I called Disney Recovery many times prior to the trip. They don't return phone calls. I have never gotten a call back from them despite having left messages daily for two weeks.

I have always loved Disney but there is something very wrong. If this is the way Disney is going to operate I want no part of it. Walt must be spinning in his grave.

I have to echo sentiments about the crowds this week. I usually go this week and have a great time but not this year. Everything was beyond crowded. Had trouble leaving BWV almost every night with big traffic jams. I think I rode three rides all week as I refuse to wait in long lines to see things I have been on multiple times. I waited 60 minutes for Mine train as it was new and posted wait time was 40 minutes. This ride to me was not worth the wait. Too short and boring. Since I'm a long term DVC member , the recent changes to non expiring tickets has made me consider selling for the first time. I like to but 10 day tickets and only use what I want and keep the rest for future trips. Now you can't do that. I had a 5 day part hopper left on a 10 day ticket and had pay an enormous amount to get that one day rather than just buy another 10 day ticket . Can no longer get Fast passes if you get up early as they are all gone till late in the day. I booked some online but found that our plans often changed and so couldn't use them like we had in the past. I still enjoy the restaurants and the ambiance but the loss of non expiring passes is the last straw for me. The rides are tired and only a few are worth riding thus they get long lines . They have to upgrade both the quality and quantity of rides if they are going to herd this many people in every day. I'm wondering if there is any week that would be worth it anymore. So sad as I love the Boardwalk and the renovations were gorgeous. The CM;s were wonderful without exception all week but I felt like it was Christmas week .

We went this time last year with a decent size group (BWV Grand Villa) and it was so busy. I did get up at midnight 60 days out to get everyone's FPs and that was pretty much what we stuck to because the lines were all to long, even for things that were always pretty much walk on in the past. Last year we had the special 4 day pass which worked out for those in the group that didn't have AP's but now with the new pricing it definitely makes it much more of a strategic (and financial) challenge. This year we went the 1st week in Nov for F&W and the 1/2 marathon and again very busy (insane at Epcot). I tried for BWV BW view at the minute the 11 month online booking window opened for a 2 bdrm for the same week next year and didn't get one. I called MS and they put me on the wait list, she was optimistic it would come through, I am not. I am used to being very strategic with my WDW planning but this is a whole new crazy level. I'm glad you enjoyed the resort but I'm with you not sure about the future.

OP I see you joined in 2007 and it looks like that was your 1st post so thanks for the report.

I was just there the first week of December & the crowds were not too bad. But I heard the week after that it got really bad & HS was turning people away & redirecting them to the Epcot parking lot. This is the last year of the Osbourne lights so that might have something to do with the crowds. Everyone wants to go to see them one last time.

As far as MK crowds, ever since the completion of New Fantasyland, there has not been an 'off season' for MK. It just stays crowded pretty steady throughout the year in my personal experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter