Trip report 11/13/22 through 11/15/22

pyratgrrl

Earning My Ears
Just got back from a 3-day trip to DLR, and I have to say, we were underwhelmed. We stayed at the Westin Anaheim Resort (after the Candy Cane Inn cancelled because they are still under refurbishment/getting permits). The Westin is a beautiful property, but it is a bit of a hike to get to the parks. The only reason I wouldn't stay there again is because I enjoy going back to the hotel in the afternoon for a break from the crowds, and this just felt too far away. If you don't mind walking a little further than the hotels on Harbor, I would definitely recommend staying here. We had 3-day/1-park per day tickets and did not buy Genie+. We did splurge on our first day for an ILL for Rise of the Resistance though.

Oh boy was it crowded! We knew it would be and went with the mindset that we would just let the Disney winds blow us where they might. The first day I was excited and full of energy. My favorite thing is walking down Main Street to the Christmas music loop - that made me very happy! We walked around and enjoyed Disneyland. We happened to be standing in line for It's A Small World when the Christmas lights came on, and that was pretty magical.

The second day we spent at DCA. Got in the single-rider line for Radiator Springs Racers, but the ride broke down when we were about 1/4 inside the dark ride portion, and we had to be walked out. In all my years going to Disneyland, I've never had this happen. The highlight of the day was the birria tacos at Cucina Cucamonga. We had them at lunch and liked them so much we decided to have them again for dinner. :)

The third day we were back at Disneyland, and by this time I was tired and not as excited, so the crowds felt much more difficult to manage, with parents using their strollers like battering rams. I guess I should count myself lucky I was only hit once by a stroller the entire time! We were walking into New Orleans Square when we spied Redd and Jack Sparrow. Now you have to understand something about me - since I was a little girl, I have wanted to be a pirate, so when I spied these two, the little girl in me was very happy!

The highlights for me: I enjoyed the Christmas decorations and music. Plaza Inn fried chicken is the BEST!! The birria tacos at Cucina Cucamonga at DCA are delicious. Riding the train for the Grand Circle Tour is one of my favorite things to do, and we did that several times. Riding the Mark Twain just at twilight was fantastic. Most of the Cast Members were very helpful and nice.

The lowlights for me: The crowds. Many rides were down. Noticed many things not being maintained and/or just dirty. A few of the Cast Members did not seem like they wanted to be there at all.

So this trip didn't feel quite as magical as past trips. At this point, I'm not sure when or if I'll be back, as the investment of my time and money seems like it might be better spent elsewhere. It used to be that as soon as I'd get home from a trip to Disneyland, I'd be ready to plan my next trip, but not this time.

The Mark Twain is so magical anytime of the day. I wish more people would take a moment and enjoy it. So glad you took a ride on it! Thanks for sharing your trip report.

I was there same time frame (my first park day was Monday the 14th). Lots of ride breakdowns every single day seems to be the norm at this point. It was my first trip to DL since 2016. The best way to deal with the crowds (to me) was the time after about 10PM at DL. DCA never feels as bad to me as DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter