Trip #2: 4 Night Dream (Includes Concierge, Cabana, BBB, Traveling During School Time)-Complete!

05/02 Part III

Today, the weather in St. Louis is in the mid 50's. It may never stop raining again. Therefore, we really need to relive this past trip. So, where were we? Ah yes, heading up to Sail Away after a rather uncomfortable muster. We really missed theater seating.

Unfortunately, our luggage had not yet arrived. While we had packed everything we needed in our day bags, I was getting anxious to unpack.

image.jpeg

Just as we went to find spaces to watch the show though, the first bags came! Hooray! I wonder if it's because we used airport buses. I assume they wait until the luggage truck is full before driving to the port.

We opted to watch the show from the Deck 12 railing again. This spot works well for us. We can see the show but don't feel crowded. We've always stood port side, but I think we will do starboard side next. I want to see the terminal recede.

image.jpeg

And here we come to the most stressful part of our trip. And it is all. My. Fault. We needed to get ready for dinner. But I knew Suzana would be coming to turn down the room. So, I knew we needed to unpack ASAP. DD was also covered in chocolate, so I wanted her to change clothes. Rather than take a breath and ask my parents to help, I just freaked out and tried to do it all. Bad plan. Luckily my mom told me to knock it off and we managed to unpack and get DD presentable in time for dinner.

I did feel like a packing genius for getting these collapsible bins for the closets.

image.jpeg

They were only $1.50 each at Target. I had read several trip reports, and there was an indication that the 1 bedroom suites were lacking in drawers. Those reviews were definitely correct. Really, the only drawers were under the bed in the bedroom and in the bathroom. I was able to put these on the floor of the closets to hold socks, underwear, and other small things for DD and I. I also put one on top of the safe for jewelry, sunglasses etc.

While we are talking about unpacking, let's take a detour to talk about storage in general. We were very impressed with how much storage space was available in our Cat V last summer. Plus, the luggage was easy to put under the bed. The Cat T had some differences. Challenges: fewer drawers overall and drawers under the bed rather than luggage storage. While hanging storage was great, when we are on vacation, we just don't have as many clothes that need to hang. The crates did a good job of supplementing. To overcome the luggage problem, we put two suitcases flat in the big closet and one, with dd's suitcase inside, upright in one of the small closets. Advantages: all cabinets can open even if sofa and Murphy beds are open and tons of storage in the bathrooms.

Dining rotations had changed since last summer. This year they were 1233. We were RAEE. So tonight, it was off to Royal Palace.

image.jpeg

I just love the bread baskets and napkin folding here.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

We had a table by a window and met our lovely serving team: Mavis Joyce (head server,) Sami (server,) Coryse (assistant server.) For appetizers we all had lobster and shrimp. For soup we had French onion and my mom had a salad. Entrees were salmon and chateaubriand. DD had whole wheat penne.

Unfortunately, by this time, I was really feeling the movement of the ship. Last year I wore the patch but I didn't think it did anything. Perhaps I was wrong. I went to the room to get a bonine, but no dice. I left before dessert to lay down. No soufflé for me.

image.jpeg

I saw the AMAZING blanket animal Suzana left and then I was off to sleep. Ludo and Danny sent some ginger ale and green apple slices for me. They really did help. They were also confident I'd feel fine in the morning.

DD went to bed and I think my parents watched a movie on demand before turning in too.

Reflections on the Day:
  • DCL transport is great for us! With 4 people, the price of the buses is almost the same as the price of private transport. But, you get to the terminal earlier, have fewer lines, get in the vacation spirit from the beginning, and have some time to appreciate the terminal space itself.
  • When you start getting stressed on vacation, ask for help. Don't put so much pressure on yourself to do it all.
  • Join your cruise meet group. It's fun to have people to plan with to to see onboard.
  • Have a motion sickness plan. Next time, I'll start taking meds the day before so I can enjoy the whole trip.

And so, we leave our happy travelers. They are snug in their beds, rocking gently with the waves, and dreaming of more fun to come. Sweet dreams dear readers and join us soon for the continuation of our story.

I can totally sympathize with being nauseated at dinner. That is when I felt most of the movement of the ship. I had to double up on bonine in order to calm the tummy

Thanks for the update! No dessert, that's terrible I'm really nervous about the seasickness as I still get a little car sick if I'm not watching the rode. I hope the Bonine helps you. I will definitely be bringing meds.

Last edited:

I'm really enjoying your trip report. We did a back to back cruise on the Dream last month. Ashley, Tracey and Angeline were our hosts. We had Danny a few years ago. They are all fabulous. Can't wait to go back!

Love your trip report! We're taking our very first cruise ever on the Dream in December and I'm loving your tips!

05/03 Part I

And, 12 hours later, the sun has risen on another day of fun in the sun.

Seriously people, I slept for 12 hours! I don't think I've done that since the first time DD did a sleepover at the grandparents. :scared1:

Now, I would not normally be thrilled with myself for missing an evening of fun on vacation, but I felt like a brand new person in the morning. I got up Andr joyed the verandah and the view of us approaching Nassau.

DD also woke up early and she and my dad played her frog game for a while.
image.jpeg
She won.

We realized that the Disney Junior characters would be out soon, so she and I went down after she snagged a leftover sleepy chocolate. That kid.

It was a lot of fun for her to meet some new characters. Jake and Doc have very cool autographs.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We also saw Sofia. While we were there, the captain turned around to back in to port. DD was so interested in feeling the ship turn around.

After characters, we grabbed breakfast in the lounge and hit the pools. DD checked out the Handy Dandy Slide and had a blast. Then we swam in the Mickey pool for a while before moving to Nemo's Reef. It was so fun to get a couple hours of uncrowded pool time. My dad and I also got a ride on the AquaDuck.

image.jpeg

After swimming, DD and my dad debated whether to eat at the "Cars restaurant" or the "Seagull restaurant." DD wanted seagulls (aka Cabanas) so, of course, we went to Cabanas because she's 3 and my dad is a pushover.

In Cabanas we saw our head server and our assistant server. So fun! They helped us find a table and even brought DD a bowl of fruit so we wouldn't have to get up again. The server who was working our section did "magic" to make dd's nose and fingers squeak. Then he explained that she had to recharge by eating her lunch. Genius!

Now it was time for DD to nap. Let's be honest, my dad napped too.

I took the opportunity to go work out. Not a glamorous thing to do by any stretch of the imagination, but an elliptical on the ship is a million times nicer than my elliptical at home. I got in a good workout watching the waves and the chartered boats at Nassau. Lovely.

I also checked out the changing area. It is so nice! I'd happily shower and get ready there. Plus they provide the Elemis products which I really like. (In the interest of transparency, I've only sailed concierge so I can't comment on H2O in comparison.)

It was a very relaxing way to spend an hour. I ran in to Suzana on my way back and gave her the DCL Mickey and Minnie we bought the night before. She said she'd be happy to tuck them in dd's bed at turn down.

DD was still asleep when I got back. I showered and changed then dad and I got ready to head to our Tequila and Margarita tasting in District Lounge.

Another quiet day in Nassau was almost over. Everyone was well rested, well fed, and completely sober. Something had to give. Stay tuned to find out what was about to change.

Last edited:

I'm really enjoying your trip report. We did a back to back cruise on the Dream last month. Ashley, Tracey and Angeline were our hosts. We had Danny a few years ago. They are all fabulous. Can't wait to go back!

:welcome:

I love the concierge staff. They really do make a cruise special.

Love your trip report! We're taking our very first cruise ever on the Dream in December and I'm loving your tips!

:thanks:
I'm jealous of your December date. I'd love to do a holiday cruise on DCL.

05/03 Part II

It has been brought to our attention that your narrator hasn't properly introduced herself. So, despite the fact that it's raining and in the 40's today, we were able to grab a quick photo.
image.png
We hope our readers now have a better understanding for why the updates are coming a bit more quickly all of a sudden.

Now, let's examine the uneasy equilibrium that had been created with rest, food, and no alcohol. What's that you say? It's time for a tequila and margarita tasting. Hot dog!

My dad and I left DD sleeping off her busy morning of water time and headed to the District Lounge. Clifton would be our bartender and had lovely setups in front of each seat. We would be sampling three tequilas and two margaritas.
image.jpeg

The first tequila was silver and therefore only a single process. Oh! That taste burned. The next was a gold or second process. Smoother but still not smooooooth. Third was an anjejo that had been processed in both metal and wood casks. Very nice. I was happy to finish that one. The others, not so much. Lemons, limes, oranges, and salt were all available, but Clifton indicated that those were really just vestiges of when tequila wasn't as pure and would leave a slimy film on the inside of your mouth.

Then we had something I'd never seen before: coffee tequila. It was actually lovely. I could see it being very nice in coffee with a good flan. Or just to drink as a cordial. Definitely a dessert drink though.
image.jpeg
We also had a classic margarita and a mango margarita. Both were good but I preferred the classic. There was extra already made, so I happily took some and added my extra gold tequila. Can't have that go to waste after all!

Clifton also made a margarita from scratch (aka a skinny margarita.) It had no sweet & sour mix, just fresh lime, tequila, and grand Marinier. Obviously very tart, but also good. (As a side note, he also taught us about the stages of the orange liqueurs: triple sec, Cointreau, and Gran Marinier. Same principle as the tequila. I never realized that!)

Overall the experience was a lot of fun. My dad really enjoyed it. More than anything though, we enjoyed the company. There was a member of my cruise FB group there and we met a couple Disers. (I didn't realize they were from the Dis until after we got back.) The people really made all the difference. The class itself was very educational and Clifton was fun. I didn't love the set up at District Lounge. Having everyone sit in a long line made it harder to feel connected. You could also hear trivia going on, and that was distracting at times. The champagne tasting I did in Pink last year was much more fun at lots of little tables and mixing our own drinks.

Another annoyance was a lady who came late. She was about 20 minutes late and when Clifton tried to tell her what we were talking about, she brushed him off and said "oh, I already know all this." Great. We get it. These classes are a good value, but would it kill you to have some respect for a guy who is trying hard to give everyone a good experience?

I very much like how Clifton focused on the education as much as anything. He even said it didn't make sense to use super premium liquors in heavy mixed drinks because you couldn't really taste them. Excellent point. All in all, it was a great way to spend part of the afternoon.

For readers who have lost count, this brings us to 4 shots and 2-3 margaritas. Not a bad start to vacation festivities. What next? Clearly we should adjourn to the Concierge reception on the sun deck, right? But first, what are grandma and the child up to? She must be awake! Let's just say that the sight that was about to be seen was pretty spectacular and a one-of-a-kind experience.

Last edited:
Loved your description of the tequila tasting! I think this might be a great tasting for me for my next cruise.

Enjoying your report soon but I have a couple of questions.

1) Did you get any preferential treatment at MCO for being concierge?
2) Right now for the dates I am looking at Homewood Suites is within a couple of dollars of MCO Hyatt. What was the breakfast like
3) Where at Target did you find the $1.50 collapsible bins?

Thank you and I am anxious to read the rest of the report

Enjoying your report soon but I have a couple of questions.

1) Did you get any preferential treatment at MCO for being concierge?
2) Right now for the dates I am looking at Homewood Suites is within a couple of dollars of MCO Hyatt. What was the breakfast like
3) Where at Target did you find the $1.50 collapsible bins?

Thank you and I am anxious to read the rest of the report

Thanks for following along!

1 - Not at MCO. We did have a private waiting area at the port, but it wasn't super fancy or anything.
2 - Eggs, pancakes, cereal, juice. Normal hotel breakfast. If your family is comfortable in standard rooms, then I say go with the Hyatt. For us, it was a combination of the cost savings and the convenience of being able to put my daughter to bed but the adults still being able to stay up for a while.
3 - They were in the area where the storage cubes are. This was last summer and I haven't seen them since.

Thanks for following along!

1 - Not at MCO. We did have a private waiting area at the port, but it wasn't super fancy or anything.
2 - Eggs, pancakes, cereal, juice. Normal hotel breakfast. If your family is comfortable in standard rooms, then I say go with the Hyatt. For us, it was a combination of the cost savings and the convenience of being able to put my daughter to bed but the adults still being able to stay up for a while.
3 - They were in the area where the storage cubes are. This was last summer and I haven't seen them since.

Thank you. We do not need the second room and I am trying to decide if we want to stay at WDW, go back to airport or just head to the port.

05/03 Part III

What a beautiful day it was. Slightly overcast but warm, and the sweet taste of tequila lingered on our tongues. The concierge reception was starting, but it seemed prudent to check on DD and grandma in the room.

image.jpeg

Well ain't that a sight to behold! The tub, if full, would go over her shoulders. And there's a tv in the mirror that shows Frozen! What more could a kid ask for?:rotfl2:

There was a fun activity in the clubs, so we took her down after her bath. Then we went to the reception, met up with our tequila buddies, and enjoyed the sundeck, some drinks, and more wonderful company. I like the new shade and the hot tub is a good size for the space.

After a while, I went to get DD from the clubs and we got ready for dinner. Tonight we were in Animator's and it was formal night. There were characters to see and signatures to gather, so DD and I went to the atrium to check it out. We saw Chip n Dale and Minnie. Then we went to see Tianna. Now, Tianna was dd's first favorite princess. If I'm honest, she's probably my favorite too. Well, let's just say that our time with her on board was as special as I can imagine. Tonight was the first meeting, and she and DD bonded immediately.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Tianna very carefully wrote my daughter's name at the top of the page as she spelled it. It was super sweet. That page is, by far, the one we look at most frequently.

It was now time to head to dinner. We had great seats by the screens to see the Crush show. While he didn't talk to us, DD was much more engaged this time.

FYI- I had two orders of pasta pursettes rather than soup or salad.

Right before dessert was served, DD decided she had to use the bathroom. She was a bit panicked. We got up and started walking quickly towardrs the bathrooms. It was pretty funny, because we must have had "the look" on our faces. Everyone we passed didn't even ask where we were headed, they just wordlessly pointed us on our way. Clearly the speed walk is not uncommon.

image.jpeg

We came back to have dessert and tell our team we'd be eating in our room for pirate night. We were hoping we'd be able to keep DD up a bit later if we didn't overstimulate her with the MDR. The servers seemed disappointed but, when we told them our reasoning, they seemed to understand. You could tell they worried we were unhappy with them though.

Next up, we all admired the amazing blanket sea lion and changed into comfy clothes and headed for the movie theater to see Zootopia. Mom and DD went to get seats while dad and I went to get popcorn and order breakfast for the next morning. DD made it through the first 45 minutes and, when the nudist colony scene started, she said she was done. Can anyone tell me who the target audience was for that movie?

We peeked in on Villans and she wasn't interested. So, mom and I went to check out the shops and DD and my dad went to watch Mary Poppins. I bough DH a Father's Day present. Good thing I did too because it was the last one in his size! We also looked at our photos. After shopping, DD went to bed and we chatted on the verandah for a while. Oh, and I worked for about an hour. Then it was off to bed. We knew the next day was Castaway Cay!

Woosh. Whoosh. Gentle rocking. The ship continues gliding gently towards our favorite beach.

Last edited:
LOL, I felt the same way about Zootopia. I liked the original message of never giving up and achieving your dreams but then it got weird. My daughter has no desire to ever see it again or even talk about it. She thought it was just weird.

Thanks for the report. We are doing a 4 night in January. Thanks for the new ideas.

05/04 Part I

Aaand, finals are over. We have a half day tomorrow and a week and a half of meetings. I can't wait to slow down a bit!

Let's see. The sky was barely pink and the ship was gently rocking. Two travelers were beginning to stir.

I woke up at about 6:15 and just enjoyed the ship's movement for a while. My dad woke up soon after and came through the dining room to read on the verandah. I decided to get up and walk around the ship. I loved getting good looks at everything and enjoying the quiet last summer. On that trip, I also always saw the captain out for his walk too.

So I pulled on yoga pants and a pullover, grabbed my big camera, and was on my way. Dad asked if I wanted him to come, but I told him he wasn't invited. Lol.

First stop, mini golf. I didn't get up here last year and I wanted to see it in person. Oh my goodness it's cute! I'd love to play a round.

There I am in the soft pre dawn light. I've found the angle I want to shoot. The lens of my camera is correctly acclimated to the temperature and humidity. I take off the lens cap and turn on the power. Only to realize the memory card is in my laptop.

image.jpeg

Well, at least I had my phone.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Coming down the stairs, I couldn't help but notice how beautiful the funnel was looking.

image.jpeg

Making sure my mom could clearly see why DD kept calling it the handy dandy slide.
image.jpeg

This was pretty much the calmest water all week. Still cloudy though.

image.jpeg

Nemo's Reef.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
I had never noticed Nemo peeking out of the anemone before!

image.jpeg

My favorite elevator lobby on the ship.

image.jpeg

And on she walked. Discovering new delights around every turn.

05/04 Part II

When last we met, our traveler was in the midst of a long journey. She found joy and mystery around every turn. She is walking still.

I noticed some more interesting details in Cabanas.

image.jpeg
I guess I understand the need to collect food. Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!

Down to deck 5. I'd read about this but never seen it!
image.jpeg

Looking down the hallway to the clubs. You can see how the ceiling is lower. On the ship your, they always talk about the lower ceilings to make the kids feel more comfortable.
image.jpeg

Since I didn't have my big camera, I opted not to spend much time in the atrium today. It was 7:00, so I headed back up on deck and towards the lounge for coffee.
image.jpeg
Can't quite see Castaway Cay yet.

Yes, I'm a real person. Excuse the pre getting ready look.
image.jpeg

When I got to the lounge, DD was having cereal with my parents. I got some coffee and started organizing our stuff for CC. Breakfast was due to be delivered at 8:00.

So the day had dawned. There were clouds, but the anticipation of a delicious meal and beautiful beach were palpable.

Jumping on board! LOVE your TR so far, we set sail on the Dream next May and cant wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter