TR: And now for something completely different - a WDW Family did DLR *(new - 4/15: HK Disneyland)*

Chapter 6 - Travel Day(s) - Part 3
October 10th
Luggage Riding as an Olympic Sport!

After finishing our lunch, we headed to our gate - and Peter decided to get his carry-on there by riding on it (thus the name of this chapter):

Peter%20riding%20luggage%20short.gif

We got to the gate and got our gate check tickets for 2 of the car seats (they were together in the red back you can see on the stroller in the gif above) as well as the stroller and in fairly short order they said that we could head onto the plane. So Judi took the kids ahead while I had to manage the stroller with bags and car seats ... and of course the bag with the car seats it was too wade to get through the door onto the gateway so I got stuck while they were ahead and didn't notice :sad2:

And of course now people behind me were trying to get through as well - so I quickly unloaded the stroller, literally though the bag with the car seats through the door, got the stroller through and reloaded and headed down the gateway. Got to the bottom of the ramp and left the car seats and stroller we were gate checking and then took the third car seat onto the plane with me along with one of the rolling bags and headed back to our seats. We tend to try to be close to the back of the plane due to:

1) Closer to the bathrooms and little kids tend to have to go a lot
b) when leaving the plane easier to go at the end since we have to unhook the car seat and just a lot of stuff to bring back
iii) greater chance of there being extra open seats so we can spread out a bit more

So I get to the back and start to strap the car seat into the window seat in our row when all of a sudden the announce over the loudspeaker that I need to come back to the front of the plane. Did I mention we were in the back of the plane? So I basically had to swim upstream the entire way back to the front of the plan while everyone else was trying to come on to the plane and get settled ... so I roughly looked like this:

wavbupohb28oobdi0aab.gif

Turns out that the staff could not figure out how to fold up our stroller. Of course this is not our normal stroller, so I couldn't figure it out either and had to call Judi. Fortunately she answered and walked me through it ... and we definitely didn't make the same mistake on the way back. :teeth:

So we strapped Peter into the car seat and I sat on that side of the plane along with Olivia as well and Judi was in the aisle seat on the other side of the aisle holding Emma - who was quite squirmy. Made us wish we had paid for a 5th seat for her. Prior to take off, Peter struggled to tell when we were on the ground vs flying, especially for take off and asked roughly 3,267 times if we were flying while still on the ground waiting for our chance. So that started to get annoying.

Fortunately for us, the middle seat next to Judi was open so once we were in the air she shifted over and Emma had her own seat:

20_Emma%20on%20flight.jpg

She was still squirmy and trying to get out of the seat and would unbuckle so ultimately we strapped her in the car seat and let Peter be in a regular seat. She even fell asleep for a few hours - and that totally helped - like a lot.

For the trip we had gotten new Kids Kindles for Peter and Olivia and I loaded it up with movies for them to watch and to prep for what was at Disneyland (including Cars and Bug's Life and Nightmare Before Christmas) - but ran into an issue in that we couldn't really hear out of the headphones even with the volume turned all the way up. Apparently this is a thing with them and sometimes if you have headphones with really long connectors it can help, but still, not great. Definitely something I wish we had tested out before the flights. They did have coloring books and we packed a ton of snacks so that helped.

All-in-all, the flight wasn't too bad - and certainly not as bad as I feared. After landing in San Diego we went to retrieve our one checked bag and then I had to figure out where the pick-up was for Budget Rental Car (all of the rental car locations are off site at the San Diego Airport). Finally found where the rental car shuttles pick up was but there wasn't a dedicated spot for any individual ones so just waitng and walked back and forth checking each shuttle that came in. Felt like the Budget one took a while, but eventually it showed up and then it took about 7 minutes to get there. he driver asked if anyone was a Fastbreak member, and I said I was so he radioed ahead and then I was able to just pick up my keys at the window of the building while everyone else had to go in and get in line - so that definitely helped! Our car was a Kia Sedona minivan. Never been in one, but it was pretty nice and definitely met our needs.

I went back to pick up Judi and the kids, installed all the car seats, and then we were off ....

You can get noise cancelling headphones made especially for this issue- I had that problem on an plane once. I bought adult and kid ones on Amazon for our plane trip last time and they worked beautifully! The kids ones even come in colors. And I found them to be more comfortable than regular headphones (they look like old fashion ones that go over your head instead of ear buds).

Love the Elsa pictures with your family!!! She really is a very pretty Elsa but her personality makes her even prettier!! I loved how she got down to the children's level!! She seems so personable.
OMG Lobster Nachos!!! You are killing me here lol!!!! These look AMAZING!!!!

It looks like a fun meet with Elsa - too bad Anna couldn't make it out. Very nice play turning Peter's attention to something else!

Great atmosphere at the Cove Bar. And those nachos look amazing!

Bummer about no Anna, but the pictures with Elsa still came out great! I love the girls' dresses and oh my gosh, Emma's sweet little face and curls are just so precious!!

Ooh, those nachos look like they would definitely hit the spot!! Bonus to 2 kids sleeping, 2 less people to share with. :rolleyes1

Great PP pics with Elsa but bummer about Anna.

Is streetmosphere a legit Disney word? I haven't seen that before- it's a good one!

Does Olivia use a stroller or walk now? I haven't paid attention to your pics- just the double stroller?

Sweet pics with Elsa. Too bad Anna was missing.

Yumm! Those lobster nachos look delicious!

My late night reading material at work.
Love your descriptive words. Chocked on my drink nearly mate reading your back to the front of the plane event.
The assasins creed nod , priceless lol.

Look forward to the rest
Cheers
Adam

How did I miss that this TR started?

Oh yeah, it's on the DLR threads. At least, that will be my excuse :)

Anyway, I'm late, but I'm in! Now I just have to read it!

Just randomly found your tr when looking for some Disneyland info . I have a big birthday this year and have been saying I want to go to Disneyland for it for a couple of years now. My DH is not as big of a Disney fan but we both love San Diego . I just mentioned yesterday a plan c ( plan b is WDW food and wine ) could be San Diego / Anaheim / San Diego so this popped up at just the right time ! It will be a wee bit different for us as it would be an adults only trip but would be the same week you went . ( plan d is adventures by Disney southern cal trip )

We were in Carlsbad for our anniversary in Sept. Ate the pizza port there and at pacific coast grill but for dinner . We went to the zoo instead of the safari - we kayaked in la jolla cove - so hit some of the similar spots .

While I haven't been to WDW as much as you , we have been many times and I have always wanted to go to Disneyland - even at my age ( which will not be revealed at this time )

Enjoying this tr and looking forward to more as I think you have me talked into sd/dl now !

That really is a bummer that you didn't get to meet Anna. I don't get why they think it's cool to do that, especially when it's advertised as being both of them. But the pics with Elsa came out great and I'm glad the interaction made up for the lack of Anna.

I agree, the streetmosphere at CA is really fun!

Ah I wish we were able to get to Cove Bar on our trip, but it was always crowded. I think the renovation has opened up more space. I'm glad you waited and enjoyed it! The nachos look incredible!

Yeah, we were kind of annoyed - especially with the system there that you have to have a FP, etc. It got worded that this was not typical, but also not that unusual - but what are you going to do. At least Peter seemed not too upset and Elsa was good. Otherwise I think I would have protested more.

I love the streemosphere there and at DHS (and really hope that doesn't lessen after the construction of the new lands is completed there) - just something unique!

From talking to the hostess there the Cove Bar generally just is always crowded (we asked if we should come back later but were informed that the wait stays pretty steady) - definitely hope the renovations help this out!

When we went to Disneyland in 2014, Anna and Elsa were still meeting in Fantasyland. The wait was about 3 hours. We knew we were going to see them in WDW, so most of us didn't want to meet them, except my 18 year old son. When the rest of us went back to the hotel, he decided to wait in the 120 minute line. We thought he was crazy, but he wanted a picture with both of them. People kept asking if he was holding a space for his family, and he would tell them that they were back at the hotel. The wait ended up only being an hour and he loved that meet and greet so much.

I am sorry your kids didn't get to meet them both together.

I have never been able to convince the kids to stop for the lobster nachos. Might have to try to talk them into it. None of them are real nacho eaters.

Loving the trip report.

We have met Anna and Elsa at WDW but by the time we went they were already meeting at Fairytale hall in MK and were separated so we were really looking forward to meeting them together here, so were pretty well bummed. I am hopeful they are back to meeting together when the new space in [strike]Arendale[/strike] Norway opens up in EPCOT! Glad your son enjoyed the M&G - I bet they get so used to meeting little kids that they were happy to have a different guest interaction!

They have a few other options for them and my daughter did enjoy her drink as well. It's a nice setting there too overlooking paradise pier - definitely think it is worth checking out at least once!

Don't apologize. I appreciate you not leaving me too far behind.

Come on, Dad! Enough pictures, let's go ride something!!!!

Free churro??? Heck yeah!!!!

Definitely no comparison to the WDW version. After experiencing it DL, I'm even more in favor of bulldozing it at WDW and putting something better there.

You're on a rail... just let go of the wheel and take all the pictures you want!

I'm glad that it apparently worked out for the best that she didn't ride. I'd like to see the overlay on it, but I had no idea it was that elaborate! I figured it was just some sound effects and maybe a little bit of lighting.

Well, with no standby line, you're basically being given an FP for the standby line.

Oh no... this really stinks.

I think she had to be more interactive. She didn't have Anna there to pick up the slack.

Sorry the drinks weren't up to par. I'd say it seems like a likely possibility that the bartender was definitely to blame. At least the nachos made it worthwhile.

I should have taken that spin on things .... in an effort to not leave you, my loyal readers, to far behind, I have purposely slowed my update rate ;)

Spacemountain seems to be one of the few things that (nearly) all of the Disney locations gets - and still gets a good sized line at WDW. Not sure how much more they could do to improve that version of it but agree that the DLR version is so much better!

Fair point - though not sure the message that would have been for Peter. Don't worry about keeping your hands on the wheel son! ;)

Yeah, in effect that's what it is. Basically a ticket to enter the standby line, and I guess limit the number of people that can be standing by.

I definitely think it was the bartender - can't win them all I guess. The priority was the nachos so mission accomplished with that living up to the hype!

The lobster nachos were the one thing I super regret not getting at DCA! I had it on my list of have-to-try things, but after our lunch at Carthay Circle, I was just too stuffed for the rest of the day. I also never got to try a Disneyland corn dog, churro, or Tigger tail because I ate at too many table service restaurants and was full all the time. Oh well, at least I have stuff on my list to try for next time!

Kind of a little late to the game, but we had the same issues with character interactions. While I found that there were so much more than at WDW, it was so chaotic and we had so much misinformation from cast members as to where they would be and when they would be coming back, that we missed out on lots of opportunities. Skeleton Goofy was one that we wanted SO bad, but every time we saw him, his line was cut off, and when asked when he would return, it seems we always got the wrong information.

Still had an amazing time though and absolutely loved Disneyland. Your trip looks like its going great so far! Can't wait to read the rest.

The Lobster Nachos are really good but also really big - we basically had that (and some other snacks) as our lunch that day

Yeah, it was frustrating how the character lines would move, etc. I am sure with lower crowds - and thus lines not constantly closing - it wouldn't be so bad, but it got very frustrating after a while

Wow! I had no idea it could be that fun! Thanks for the info. I would agree about FL, i'm sure. I have only been to Cocoa Beach for a quick peek. One thing about San Diego is that it gets cold in May and June at the beach. I'm pretty sure not in FL.

Not sure we are the best to think about for how cold "too cold" is to swim ... I know we have gone swimming in Florida in the winter and the locals thought we were nuts when it was like 65 degrees out (while it was 2 degrees where we live)

Following... Your kids are adorable! Love the tie dyed matching shirts... and your wife's 'new' short hair cut is super cute!

:welcome: Thank you! we think we make cute kids ;) Judi started the short hair cut out of convenience (so nursing babies couldn't grab her hair) but she also likes how it gets dry after showering much faster

How did I miss that this TR started?

Oh yeah, it's on the DLR threads. At least, that will be my excuse :)

Anyway, I'm late, but I'm in! Now I just have to read it!

good excuse! Glad you are here though now :welcome:

Reading is fairly key to ingesting the quality and joy that is my Trip Report: I wish you well!

Just randomly found your tr when looking for some Disneyland info . I have a big birthday this year and have been saying I want to go to Disneyland for it for a couple of years now. My DH is not as big of a Disney fan but we both love San Diego . I just mentioned yesterday a plan c ( plan b is WDW food and wine ) could be San Diego / Anaheim / San Diego so this popped up at just the right time ! It will be a wee bit different for us as it would be an adults only trip but would be the same week you went . ( plan d is adventures by Disney southern cal trip )

We were in Carlsbad for our anniversary in Sept. Ate the pizza port there and at pacific coast grill but for dinner . We went to the zoo instead of the safari - we kayaked in la jolla cove - so hit some of the similar spots .

While I haven't been to WDW as much as you , we have been many times and I have always wanted to go to Disneyland - even at my age ( which will not be revealed at this time )

Enjoying this tr and looking forward to more as I think you have me talked into sd/dl now !

:welcome: Glad you found it and hope that is provides some helpful information!

I fully support your San Diego/Disneyland/San Diego plan! Definitely would suggest you check out either Stone location as it was really cool and good food!

You can get noise cancelling headphones made especially for this issue- I had that problem on an plane once. I bought adult and kid ones on Amazon for our plane trip last time and they worked beautifully! The kids ones even come in colors. And I found them to be more comfortable than regular headphones (they look like old fashion ones that go over your head instead of ear buds).

so you found headphones that specifically work well with the kids kindles? Would you mind sending me a message with a link to the ones you got?

Love the Elsa pictures with your family!!! She really is a very pretty Elsa but her personality makes her even prettier!! I loved how she got down to the children's level!! She seems so personable.
OMG Lobster Nachos!!! You are killing me here lol!!!! These look AMAZING!!!!

Thank you! I think we got a few good photos and she was a good Elsa! I always love when the characters get down on the kids level - I've seen some photos of the characters basically lying down to be down with some really small kids that I think is really cute!

Yeah, you need to get some of those nachos!

It looks like a fun meet with Elsa - too bad Anna couldn't make it out. Very nice play turning Peter's attention to something else!

Great atmosphere at the Cove Bar. And those nachos look amazing!

I was glad Peter didn't et too upset - it was good that we got some heads up that she wasn't there so we could start distracting him rather then: "OK Peter go meet Anna .... wait, where is Anna?"

It was a nice setting at the Cove Bar and the Nachos were amazing!

Bummer about no Anna, but the pictures with Elsa still came out great! I love the girls' dresses and oh my gosh, Emma's sweet little face and curls are just so precious!!

Ooh, those nachos look like they would definitely hit the spot!! Bonus to 2 kids sleeping, 2 less people to share with. :rolleyes1

Thank you - It was nice to review the pictures and see some of those shots of Emma. I am glad to have those as she is growing so fast!

The Nachos were great and that is a good point about less people to share with ;)

Great PP pics with Elsa but bummer about Anna.

Is streetmosphere a legit Disney word? I haven't seen that before- it's a good one!

Does Olivia use a stroller or walk now? I haven't paid attention to your pics- just the double stroller?

Yeah, it was a bit of a bummer to have to get the FP and then wait in line for a while and then no Anna. But things worked out with Elsa

I think Streetmosphere is a real word - I also see it used at times for some areas in Vegas. I know that the "Citizens of Hollywood" are commonly referred to as Streetmosphere at Hollywood Studios

Do we definitely just had a double stroller and mostly it was Peter and Emma who used it but they would trade around and take turns. We did try to fit all 3 in it at times but at least one time that did not end well (ooooh, foreshadowing!!!!!)

Sweet pics with Elsa. Too bad Anna was missing.

Yumm! Those lobster nachos look delicious!

Thank you! it was a bummer but I was glad the interaction with Elsa was good. If she was a stiff I would have gotten more upset and seen about getting another FP or something

They tasted delicious as well!

My late night reading material at work.
Love your descriptive words. Chocked on my drink nearly mate reading your back to the front of the plane event.
The assasins creed nod , priceless lol.

Look forward to the rest
Cheers
Adam

Glad I can be of service!

Thank you! So glad someone got the assisins creed reference!

Chapter 24 - Disneyland - Part 5
October 16th
Olivia rides some rides

After we finished up our yummy nachos and less yummy drinks at the Cove Bar, Peter and Emma were still asleep, so we thought it would be a good time to hit up some rides in that area that Olivia had interest in but that the younglings were too short for. First up, Judi took her on Jumpin' Jellyfish which is like a parachute drop ride.

52_Judi%20and%20Olivia%20on%20line%20for%20JJ.jpg

53_Jumping%20jellyfish.gif

Olivia enjoyed it - I think Judi felt it was ok, but not a must do.

Then I took Olivia on Goofy's Sky School - which is a mouse roller coaster. Think Primeval Hurl but I enjoyed it a lot more - it is a fun theme and you definitely feel like you are leaning over the edge on some of the turns and it goes right by the Grand Californian so some nice views

54_Olivia%20by%20Sky%20School%20Sign.jpg

55_Sky%20school.gif

While we were on the ride Peter and Emma woke up so Judi got them a snack ... and herself a drink. I must say I loved all the stands around that had great California beer and wine. Judi got a local Rose, though I must admit I don't remember and she didn't record what it was (so we both fail)

58_Mickey%20Prezel.jpg
59_Rose.jpg

They also saw the Army Men Brigade come by:
60_Army%20Men%20car.jpg

We then went over to pull fast passes for California Screaming and while there we took the kids onto King Triton's Carousel - which was really cute and the kids had a blast!

56_Emma%20on%20Merry%20go%20Round.jpg
57_Olivia%20on%20Merry%20go%20Round.jpg

Then our Radiator Springs Racer Fast Passes were coming due ... while I went with Olivia on the ride, Judi took Peter to the "petting zoo" and then saw the DJ party (didn't get the best pictures of that)
61_Peter%20petting%20zoo.jpg
62_DJ.jpg

Coming up next: we finally ride Radiator Springs, and Peter meets a friend

Last edited:
Chapter 25 - Disneyland - Part 6
October 16th
Ride and meet some Cars

While we had fastpasses for Radiator Springs we still had to wait on a bit of a line - I had heard it broke down earlier in the day so the fastpass line was backed up. My understanding is that this isn't that uncommon. Not the end of the world as there is a lot of really cool scenery to take pictures of:
66_RSR%20Bridge.jpg

67_RSR%20scenery.jpg

Including getting to see the actual Radiator Springs!
68_Radiator%20Spring.jpg

When were were close and put in a waiting spot for the next Car I noticed that even the number spots were themed like manhole covers:
69_spot%20number.jpg

Got in the car - first, ride we-sie!
70_RSR%20selfie.jpg

Then it was on to the actual ride - and it is just cool! It never gets crazy fast but does zip around some of the curves and past some amazing scenery
71_on%20RSR.gif

And then the inside parts had some awesome animatronics - some you go by a little quick, I would have appreciated some more time to, well, appreciate it all - but it is just cool and much be such a cool experience for kids that love the movies:
72_Matter%20on%20ride.gif

And of course, the ride photo:
73_Phil%20and%20Olivia%20ride%20photo.jpg

While we were riding, Judi took Emma and Peter to meet a Car, and it was Lightening McQueen out meeting. These meets were a lot better than the "meets" they had at DHS - even just how the Cars would "drive" out to their spot and when Matter was leaving he would have little quips to make, etc. Just cool. Plus Peter was basically in his glory:
63_Pc%20of%20PP%20of%20Peter.jpg

65_Peter%20with%20LMQ%20PP.jpg
64_Emma%20with%20LMQ%20PP.jpg

Then Judi took Olivia on Radiator Springs Racer (I had gotten a ride swap):
74_Judi%20and%20Olivia%20ride%20Photo.jpg

While they were on we headed I took Peter and Emma back to the pier to ride the carousel again ... coming up next

Last edited:
Chapter 26 - Disneyland - Part 7
October 16th
We do some California Screamin'!

We needed to head back to the pier as our fastpasses for California Screamin' were coming up so we headed back to the pier. Olivia wasn't tall enough for this so while Judi first went on California Screamin' I took the kids on King Triton's Carousel again:
76_Emma%20and%20Olivia%20on%20merry%20go%20round.jpg

When Judi caught up with us we decided/talked the kids into doing the special photo shot they had set up related to the 60th anniversary for this ride. I thought it was pretty cute - though I had to hold Emma up a bit:
80_SC%20Magic%20Shot.jpg

Then Judi rode California Screamin' while I took the kids over to "a Bug's Land"

Judi's ride photo from California Screamin' - I love the girl in the front who seems to be checking if her eye make-up is ok, and the kid next to Judi who is looking the wrong way:
79_Judi%20CS%20PP%20photo.jpg

I took the kids onto Heimlich's Chew Chew Train ... which I think I might have enjoyed even more than the kids. It was so cute and I may have spoken in a Heimlich voice for like, the next week
81_Peter%20and%20Emma%20on%20Chew.jpg
82_on%20Chew%20Chew.jpg

When Judi got back we did a trip to the bathroom - which I mention because the Bathrooms were themed really well! (though must have been a bit of an emergency because I don't have a photo)

Then Judi took the kids on the rest of the rides in a Bug's Land while I went over for my turn on California Screamin' and I took the GoPro to capture the entire trip .... as you can see in my ride photo:
77_Phil%20CS%20PP%20photo.jpg

When I got home it was apparent that I had the setting wrong and when I thought I was starting the video taking I was taking a still picture - so all I got was this lovely image :rotfl2:
78_Phil%20GoPro%20Pic.jpg

After I was done capturing this magical moment :-)rotfl:) I went to catch up with the rest of the family - though as I was walking back I could a bit of the Pixar Play Parade - it was actually pretty cool and I just love the music they use for it (which I was first introduced to during the Rainy Day Cavalcade at the Magic Kingdom)

83_Pixar%20parade%20part%201.gif
84_Picar%20parade%20part%202.gif

When I got back I took the kids onto Flick's Flyers which is actually a pretty cute ride. I have to say I was more impressed by a Bug's Land than I thought I would be. No one ride was unbelievable but it was very well themed and just a lot of fun with the kids

85_on%20flicks%20flyers.jpg

Coming up next - more DISmeets!

TTFN

DL appears to have a lot more rides than WDW. It looks like they've made very good use of the space. Bug's Land is adorable.

That's too bad about your video. I hate when that happens.

That's cool how the Cars drive out to the spot for the meet and greet. Super cute pictures of the kids!

I love that first picture of Olivia waving at you...so sweet.

Never saw that Army Men Brigade..very cool!

I agree, the line for RSR has a lot to look at! I'm glad you enjoyed the ride, it really is so well done.

I thought the fact that the Cars actually drive AND talk was SO awesome!

LOL I had to laugh at your Go-Pro fail ;)

I loved the themeing of BugsLand. We never made it on any of the rides (since it felt kind of silly for 2 adults to do) but I'm glad to hear they were fun!

so you found headphones that specifically work well with the kids kindles? Would you mind sending me a message with a link to the ones you got?

http://www.amazon.com/Kidz-Gear-Wir...id=1452712282&sr=8-4&keywords=kids+headphones

It doesn't say noise cancelling in the listing, but they do work perfectly on airplanes. Not sure if they fit a kindle, but it says they fit most electronic devices. My kid used them with my iphone and with her Nabi. This link is for the pink ones I bought, but they come in many colors. Kidz Gear is a great brand. Good luck!

You guys got so much done!

Very fun rides, especially for Olivia! RSR seems like such a cool experience. And I'm glad Peter got to meet the "real" Lightning. I love that they are more interactive.

Sorry about the GoPro fail. This made me laugh...and the look on the face of the woman next to you is hilarious!

When I got home it was apparent that I had the setting wrong and when I thought I was starting the video taking I was taking a still picture - so all I got was this lovely image :rotfl2:
78_Phil%20GoPro%20Pic.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter