TR | Tent Camping (with a baby)

:eek:

OMG my 2 girls would go BONKERS. Fortunately the TVs (both of them) are mounted in the TT. One in the main living area and one in the girls bedroom. The Our Bedroom for DW and I is wired for one, but we really had no need for one. I guess it could be useful if among the 4 of us (sometimes five with DD19's BF21) wanted to watch different shows during "Bad Weather" where we wouldn't be in the park or at the pool (or something else). It just hasn't happened yet.

I hope Charolette has an awesome trip to Disney. (Okay, and the rest of the family too.:D)

Welcome back MM! :jumping1:

We had 1520 on our March 2012 trip. Outside site, almost all the way around, up by the loop entrance. Pretty convenient to the bus stop, Comfort Station, Pool area, and a nice canal behind you to give the site some depth. You will like it, I promise.

Thanks for the update.

Bama Ed

1500 :worship: We had 1516 last March and liked the location, even if was a little bit of a walk to the CS. Nice and close to the bus stop and pool.

I have to say that I really enjoy the photos of your children. Their personalities always seem to shine through. You boy is all boy and your older girl is all girl. I remember seeing the photos the gender reveal to them, on a trip report, and laughed so hard that I cried. I shared it with DH and he got a kick out of it as well. Of course, being a grandmother, I enjoy other people's children much more than I did when I was personally responsible for my own. :laughing:

Now we have the car photos - Boy is like, "A couple plush and I'm cool." Daughter, on the other hand, has her side totally decorated, decked out with all sorts of girly and princess stuff. It appears she has even taken over the center area with a Shopkins tote bag. :cutie: She's training for when she needs to take over the whole closet as an adult. Us women need our stuff and our space.

Would love to see some photos of your site. :flower1: Have a wonderful trip!

We're home and in 1520.

Cool! Glad you had a safe trip down - now your vacation begins!

We've never managed to get placed in loop 1500 in many trips. A few weeks ago, they told us that they weren't putting anyone in there past Jan. 5 because it was closing for maintenance - does it seem newly maintained? Maybe they just didn't want to disappoint us :flower:

Hope yo have a great time!!

So enjoying this thread, looking forward to reading more. :dogdance: Just to mention, when we were there last March there were these little weird biting flies so watch for them, not sure if they're out in Jan.

Hello all you Fort lovers! We're all doing well and having a wonderful vacation. I have been taking down little notes each day, and just like in all my other reports, I will post more photos and details when the trip is complete. I just can't ever seem to find the time to give a good update while in real time. Tent life + small kids + baby = a lot to keep up with and still try to take those brief moments of relaxation when I find them.

Today, Miss Charlotte took her very first dip in the pool. She loved swimming with her daddy!

We just finished dinner at Trails End and I'm in a food coma and pregnant with a food baby too! I'm typing this all out while I nurse baby to sleep and listening to the water parade.

Oh my goodness, just look at her!!!

IMG_6609.JPG

Keep up the replies! My little girl is 13 months and we're watching for a last minute tent spot to open up on my days off and trying it out. I did the "big tent" (aka RV) thing with my parents as a kid, but never with a baby. I am looking forward to seeing what you've learned!

Today, Miss Charlotte took her very first dip in the pool. She loved swimming with her daddy!

What a beautiful, happy baby! Looking forward to your trip report. I completely understand. I don't even usually have little ones with me, and barely seem to have time to take photos, let alone post them. A few direct to facebook is all I usually manage.

We're taking no chances with the storm headed our way. They are predicting some serious weather and this momma needs to take shelter with her babies! If it hits just right, our set up will be gone with the wind!!!

(1) We need to move to a more secure shelter...aka the cabins.

(2) We need to take down our tent and pack it up IF we don't want it to be blown away.

(3) No way in he@& I'm setting up the site again after the storm for the rest of our trip.

So last night we went to the Lego store and picked up two large Lego sets for the kids to keep them occupied for the day, and moved to a cabin where we will remain for the next seven nights.

I just heard about the bad weather coming your way. I was hoping you heard also. Stay safe and dry in the cabin.

Melissa, we hope this finds you dry and safe in the cabins. Best decision. we hope you have a safe, warm and dry cozy day. Missing the Fort already, and fighting fog and snow melt up in your neck of the woods.

We're taking no chances with the storm headed our way.
So last night we picked up two large Lego sets for the kids to keep them occupied for the day, and moved to a cabin where we will remain for the next seven nights.
Great choice. Rain in a tent isn't fun, but manageable. Rain and high winds, not so much.

Don't let it ruin the trip. It looks like only a couple of days. Tuesday and beyond look pretty good.

j

We're back! Home sweet home!

The weather was very pleasant, high 70's in the day and 50-60 at night. The only bad weather we had was a few hours of heavy rain on Saturday evening.

We only did one tent this year and kept things as simple as possible to help speed the process up of set up and take down.

I was very pleased we were again put in the 1500 loop and not the crazy poltergiest-like 2000 loop. I prefer the 1500 loop over the 2000 loop for many reasons.

(1) It is a smaller loop. Easier for the kids to get around with their scooters. I couldn't allow them to ride their scooter around the 2000 loop because it's three times the size and can't take my eyes off them that long. The 1500 loop they can scoot around in 60 seconds flat.
(2) The tetherball area! My kids and other kids from the loop seem to gather here and our site was perfect for keeping an eye on them at all times. I really liked the site the most for this very reason.
(3) Even though they put groups in here every now and then, it still seems more low key compared to the other. By 7pm the loop is quiet (most every night) and still quiet at 7am. Our little Miss Charlotte was the wake up call for the loop :)
(4) This loop is close to the pool and Meadows.

Charlotte slept very very well in the tent. I was worried that she wouldn't, but all the busyness a vacation brings combined with all the fresh air, she slept like a baby :)

We ended up buying a $8 twin size air bed just for her, it worked perfectly. I had the queen size air bed and lil Daniel slept with me. Hubby Daniel had the other bed and shared with Grace. Charlotte had her own and was in the middle.

So like I said earlier, we tried to keep the set up minimal this time. For clothes I used basic laundry baskets and we shared a three piece plastic drawer/nightstand. I have a love hate relationship with the tent dresser. I hate plastic, but love the ease of tossing the twenty some odd little things one needs in a day. I kept my vitamins and contact case on top for easy access. The closets are nice. I used one to store extra clothes, swimsuits, and towels. The other for dirty laundry.

We just used a small card table to house the coffee pot, toaster, hot plate, and electric skillet. Even though the set up was small, we still managed to cook bacon, eggs, pancakes most ever morning. I also used two brown plastic totes to hold the dry food items. Notice I brought along a matching three drawer bin to compliment the totes. Again, my love hate relationship with plastic. However, this outside bin was just as terrific as the tent one at housing all those little kitchen items like salt and pepper, seasoning, foil, plastic plates and cups. The extra large cooler worked perfectly as usual.

I didn't bring my good camera and just used my iphone.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.JPG

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

6a.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

Will post more about our trip soon...​

Last edited:
Melissa, your camping/tent set-up looks inviting, fabulous, and thought driven. Sorry you had to go to the cabins, but safety is first. Welcome home, although Disney's Fort Wilderness is a great 2nd home. Good luck on the final building process of up your new home. Think Spring!

Thanks Barb! The move to the cabin was welcomed and enjoyable!

The staircase was built right before we left. Now it's time to paint and finish out the interior. The kids are looking forward to their farm critters. As soon as the house is done, the farm critter building will start. The kids have a list...1 mini pony, 3 little pigs, 4 goats, 24 chickens, a few barn kittens, and a dog. At least that is their current list. I'm going to cut them off if try add anything else. Hubby added ducks and geese. Things are about to get interesting!

Melissa, your camping/tent set-up looks inviting, fabulous, and thought driven. Sorry you had to go to the cabins, but safety is first. Welcome home, although Disney's Fort Wilderness is a great 2nd home. Good luck on the final building process of up your new home. Think Spring!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter