Tower of Vegan Deliciousness and Other Vegan Disney Dining Reviews (August 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really, really want to go to California Grill for our 5 1/2-year anniversary, but I'm sure it's kind of expensive. Since it's not on the menu, do you think you guys could send me a PM with a price range for the meal you recieved? I went ahead and got an ADR for 9:10 (Wishes is at 10:00!) on our half-anniversary date. But I might have to cancel it if it's too much. I would really, really appreciate it! :lovestruc

Edit: Dangit, I completely spaced out and forgot you were on the dining plan. I don't suppose the reciept you recieved had a cost on how much it would have been out of pocket?

We looked at the receipts for every meal and I THINK that our California Grill dinner was like $85-$100. I don't remember the exact price, but I know it wasn't cheap.

someone posted this thread on the disunplugged board and i'm so glad they did..

we're also vegetarians and have never had a problem at WDW, despite the fact that i've never given them any advance notice....
they're always really good about it...
sometimes we order what's on the menu, sometimes the chef prepares something special...
in almost all cases, it's fantastic (with only one exception).

but we've never eaten at ohana....it will definitely be on our list for our next trip.

by the way, Michael looks very familiar (from the ohana picture)......detroit's a big city, but who knows...

hi! This is a great review! I am a vegetarian and we are going to WDW for our honeymoon. I was directed here from the dis unplugged board as well. Until my question was answered on the podcast I didn't know about the dietary hotline...but I had made sure to put on all my ADRs that I am a vegetarian. I really found your report helpful and reassuring. I was nervous about California Grill not being accommodating but you def reassured me. We are eating at a lot of places that aren't veggie friendly and I am hoping that they will be understanding. (and maybe our "Just married" Pins will help a bit as well) I am hoping I get a good experience like you did at Ohana's and California...and not much of the Brown Derby rudeness. Thanks!

I have been lurking yours and v_gan's reviews for a while now and just got a username...mostly because I had to comment on those kids getting ketchup in a cup.

!!!!!!!!! I literally laughed out loud. People watching is fun and that surpasses all of the 'weird' things I think i've seen! I wonder if they do that a lot...

Also, I really like your reviews and I think it'll make it easier for me on my (birthuation trip) in june (91 days!) :cool1:
Thanks for taking the time to do these reviews!

but we've never eaten at ohana....it will definitely be on our list for our next trip.

by the way, Michael looks very familiar (from the ohana picture)......detroit's a big city, but who knows...

I've read reviews from lots of people since we went...chef TJ just seems to keep getting more creative while sticking to his "theme" for vegans. You will LOVE it!

Also...I get around :) it's very likely we've run into each other

I am hoping that they will be understanding. (and maybe our "Just married" Pins will help a bit as well) I am hoping I get a good experience like you did at Ohana's and California...and not much of the Brown Derby rudeness. Thanks!

From my experience, the number one thing to do is be friendly, but persistent. Don't settle for less than what you expect from them and they will find a way to accommodate you. If you are hesitant about asking for something specific don't overthink - just do it. Most of these cast members are used to dealing with people FAR MORE difficult (and rude) than someone who just wants to stick to their diet.
And yes...I'm sure the "just married" pins will help :)

I have been lurking yours and v_gan's reviews for a while now and just got a username...mostly because I had to comment on those kids getting ketchup in a cup.

I KNOW! Gross right? I wonder how many of these "fine dining" experiences we missed. Keep your eyes pealed on your trip and good luck!

Thanks for the awesome reviews. I don't have a trip planned anytime in the near future (darn unemployment), but I love reading other people's trip reports, and this one was especially helpful as the next trip I make will be as a vegan.

Oh, and yay Michigan. I'm near Detroit as well. :)

:upsidedow

Thanks for the awesome reviews. I don't have a trip planned anytime in the near future (darn unemployment), but I love reading other people's trip reports, and this one was especially helpful as the next trip I make will be as a vegan.

Oh, and yay Michigan. I'm near Detroit as well. :)

:upsidedow

Always happy to help! Let me know if you have any questions about anything

Just wanted to thank you guys one more time for your reviews! I've used a lot of the information you've provided for our dining choices on this trip. I can't WAIT to try California Grill. I hope we get a similar experience.

Only two more days!

Just wanted to thank you guys one more time for your reviews! I've used a lot of the information you've provided for our dining choices on this trip. I can't WAIT to try California Grill. I hope we get a similar experience.

Only two more days!

I've used BOTH of your reviews for my upcoming trip! I never thought eating would be this time consuming...but I'm so excited to be able to find some people that have already done it and cleared the way, so to speak!

Only two more days!

thank YOU too. I know it was a while ago now (almost a year ago!) but you were seriously a big help to us as well. I wish you the best for your California Grill adventure. Don't forget...if you don't get a seat by the window, make sure you go to the observation deck during "wishes" (or whatever they have as a fireworks show now). Even if you don't eat during the fireworks, make sure you head out there and check out the view, it is the best!

I've used BOTH of your reviews for my upcoming trip! I never thought eating would be this time consuming...but I'm so excited to be able to find some people that have already done it and cleared the way, so to speak!

Not a problem! We put a lot of work (months and months of it) into our trip to make sure we would be able to eat well and we started this thread with the specified purpose of helping people out so they could have the same great experience we did (with hopefully a lot less work/worry) promising ourselves we would not abandon ship (like a lot of other posters seem to do...Andrea excluded) and try to help anyone with questions about what we did. We're not even sure when our next trip will be, but I hope to keep this thing going until then - hopefully we can use some other people who have posted on here as a future resource for us!

Thanks to both of you. I've been making a list of vegan treats because I've just recently started moving from vegetarian to vegan and I've done great. I'm still nervous that I can do it at Disney, so I'm trying to make a list some of the vegan treats.

We are doing the QSDP, during part of our trip this year. The other part of the trip is at Universal and Sea World. We had free dining last year and this year we wanted to just do something simple. We did make one reservation for Boma, which is one of my favorite places to eat. I'm glad I saw you eat some of the treats, because I would have never have thought of some of them - Like candy apples (sure wish caramel ones were vegan........but I'm exctied to try a candy apple). I'm not even sure if I have ever had one. Also looking forward to trying Kaki-Gori, the Organge slush in MK and so much more. I'm hoping they give me fruit for my dessert at the Fast Food locations. Not sure if they will. You can bet I'll be looking for Divies cookies for snacks at some of the hotel snack locations. I really want to try the divies caramel popcorn. Yummy!

Thanks again!!

Thanks to both of you. I've been making a list of vegan treats because I've just recently started moving from vegetarian to vegan and I've done great. I'm still nervous that I can do it at Disney, so I'm trying to make a list some of the vegan treats.

We are doing the QSDP, during part of our trip this year. The other part of the trip is at Universal and Sea World. We had free dining last year and this year we wanted to just do something simple. We did make one reservation for Boma, which is one of my favorite places to eat. I'm glad I saw you eat some of the treats, because I would have never have thought of some of them - Like candy apples (sure wish caramel ones were vegan........but I'm exctied to try a candy apple). I'm not even sure if I have ever had one. Also looking forward to trying Kaki-Gori, the Organge slush in MK and so much more. I'm hoping they give me fruit for my dessert at the Fast Food locations. Not sure if they will. You can bet I'll be looking for Divies cookies for snacks at some of the hotel snack locations. I really want to try the divies caramel popcorn. Yummy!

Thanks again!!

Something I wish we would have thought more about-
use your snack credits IN the parks. You get a lot more for your "money" (well, your virtual money) if you use snack credits in the parks. The resorts severely limit what you are able to spend your snack credits on, while the parks pretty much let you get whatever you want under a certain price limit, so there is MUCH more to choose from.

Send me an email if you would like some help in planning vegan meals at Universal, as Emily and I have been there too and were able to work things out quite well.

Send me an email if you would like some help in planning vegan meals at Universal, as Emily and I have been there too and were able to work things out quite well.

Just curious if you have any ideas for Vegan meals in Islands of Adventure?

We are doing a week of Disney on the Dining Plan but one day we are going to IOA because my son is all about everything Spiderman. We are doing the character breakfast at Confisco Grill with spiderman. I'm going to call ahead and see if they can make something vegan for me, but I have no idea where we are going for lunch. We'll probably leave early and go to dinner at a Disney Restaurant.

We actually just came back from a 2 night stay at Disney and we didn't make it to Ohana this time around. I plan on going at least twice on the Aug/Sept trip! :banana:

Just curious if you have any ideas for Vegan meals in Islands of Adventure?

We are doing a week of Disney on the Dining Plan but one day we are going to IOA because my son is all about everything Spiderman. We are doing the character breakfast at Confisco Grill with spiderman. I'm going to call ahead and see if they can make something vegan for me, but I have no idea where we are going for lunch. We'll probably leave early and go to dinner at a Disney Restaurant.

We actually just came back from a 2 night stay at Disney and we didn't make it to Ohana this time around. I plan on going at least twice on the Aug/Sept trip! :banana:

There is a hamburger restaurant inside the "Jurassic Park Visitors Center" called "The Burger Digs". They offer a veggie burger there (you have to request it withOUT cheese) that is vegan (they let us look at the ingredients). They have a fixins bar there as well (like a lot of Disney burger places) where you can add onions, pickles and the like - and the veggie burgers are really good!

There's also the new Harry Potter stuff, and they might offer some vegan stuff there as well, but as I don't have any experience with that area, I can't tell you for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter