Touring before buying

TheHamm

DIS Veteran
Having done the math, we are interested buying resale, but apprehensive about picking a home resort without actually seeing the rooms first. Does anyone know if you are limited to seeing units at the still for sale properties or if we could peek at BLT while we are in Orlando (not staying at BLT) this spring?

Disclaimer: I realize we can use our points anywhere, but I anticipate when the tots are older we will be vacationing at high season and actually need the 11month window.

There is a sales center at BLT, and you can set an appointment there to hear the DVC pitch and see the model rooms. They can also drive you to Poly so you can see the rooms there. I would count on a 1 to 1 1/2 hour presentation and a then a 30 minutes to an hour tour. There is no "peek in" as far as I know. You have to commit to the whole presentation - but if you are interested it is worth attending. It is very low pressure compared to other time share pitches. You already know what you need to know - which is don't make any impulse buys until you fully consider resale.

You can also get a DVC tour at Poly or Saratoga (plus maybe more).

I think you are wise to tour the properties you are interested in. Another alternative is to rent points and stay there before your buy.

Consider renting points before you make a decision to buy. My wife and I were "this close" to pulling the trigger on BCV, but decided to stay there first. While we had a good trip, we decided that a monorail resort (we've been going to the Poly for years) was really what we wanted.

thanks! We did the pitch at aulani so understand the program, and already have stay planned in March, but don't want to wait another year and keep trying our potential spots. I am concerned with the BLT rooms being (1)unavailable (2) too big or too small. We loved the poly studios and we will check out GF next trip, it would be ideal to see BLT, too but splitting the stay with twin toddlers runs afoul the purpose of Disney- an easy vacation.

Be sure you set it up ahead of time wherever you would like to visit.

We were pretty annoyed in November when the guide we met with -- who we found very unhelpful -- did not really help us see the other resorts. She told us we could just visit them when we wanted and ask to see a room, and that there was a model at the Polynesian we could see. We went there the next day, and happened to arrive at 1:30; the people at the DVC desk told us that the model was only open from 12-1 and that we could come back the following day. Had we known the time restrictions, obviously we would have been a half hour earlier. It was ridiculous.

People differ but I don't think seeing the rooms is that big a deal. There are plenty of pics and HD videos available to give you a good idea of what to expect.

Be sure you set it up ahead of time wherever you would like to visit.

We were pretty annoyed in November when the guide we met with -- who we found very unhelpful -- did not really help us see the other resorts. She told us we could just visit them when we wanted and ask to see a room, and that there was a model at the Polynesian we could see. We went there the next day, and happened to arrive at 1:30; the people at the DVC desk told us that the model was only open from 12-1 and that we could come back the following day. Had we known the time restrictions, obviously we would have been a half hour earlier. It was ridiculous.
That sounds like stellar sales skills.
Were you able to see anything but the poly?

There are times when rooms are open to view at different resorts. Most have a specific time schedule. 2 years ago, we were walking around the Boardwalk at night and they had a studio/1 bedroom open to view at Boardwalk. Not sure why as they were not selling points there. But it worked, we purchased resale shortly after.

A few years ago, on a whim we stopped by a kiosk at Epcot and arranged a tour. What we got? We were taken to the office at BW, given a sales pitch, shown pictures on the computer and got a free coke. Period. No offers to tour any rooms (we happened to be staying in a BWV studio at the time, booked through Disney as a resort room) and I had stayed in a BWV studio and an OKW studio before (one rented, the other booked again through Disney). They knew we were staying there but didn't know I had stayed at OKW in the past. We spent a lot of time alone in the room while the sales person went away to do whatever, a couple of times. One time was so my son and DIL could discuss it and do math (I told them not to buy right then, to go home and think it over, did they listen? No, they ended up getting a divorce less than 3 months later. Listen to Mom people). We told them before we went we had something planned for a certain time and they assured us we would get back in time. We were there during F&G and I wanted to see Herman Hermits. We did not make it back in time and we were leaving the next day so that was a bummer.

It is very unusual to get to see a room in a resort, versus a model room, because DVC runs at such high occupancy.

They can't just take randos into occupied rooms.

Why would DVD want to show someone rooms only available on resale? Their interest is showing rooms that they have available to sale.

As others stated, staying there is your best choice.

We just went in the afternoon when they were cleaning the rooms after check out. The maids let us look around

Why would DVD want to show someone rooms only available on resale? Their interest is showing rooms that they have available to sale.

As others stated, staying there is your best choice.
Right, I understand that. But since the Poly was the current sales focus, you would think anybody showing up to see the rooms would be whisked away and given the tour immediately.

I was able to peek into a room at Kidani Village when the rep was sitting there. Told her I went on a DVC tour a couple days prior over at SSR and had no problem showing me a room there.

If any model rooms do exist at the sold out resorts, don't expect DVD to spend time with you if you tell them that you want to buy resale. We tried seeing rooms via the front desk and had mixed success. The resort doesn't want to take their time showing rooms when they don't get any benefit for doing so.

:earsboy: Bill

If any model rooms do exist at the sold out resorts, don't expect DVD to spend time with you if you tell them that you want to buy resale. We tried seeing rooms via the front desk and had mixed success. The resort doesn't want to take their time showing rooms when they don't get any benefit for doing so.

That's why I was so surprised to see them showing of a room at Boardwalk. The salesman in the room even mentioned they were not selling points here, but these rooms were similar to the ones they were selling.

My advice would be to rent points and stay there once or twice. It's the only way to really know if it feels right for you.

That's why I was so surprised to see them showing of a room at Boardwalk. The salesman in the room even mentioned they were not selling points here, but these rooms were similar to the ones they were selling.

The boardwalk gets a lot of foot traffic and they have a DVC for sale sign on the boardwalk. My guess is that the open house results in enough sales to keep the model rooms open.

I think that a lot of what you are looking for can be achieved by looking at pics and videos online. What you can't ascertain, however, is the overall feel of the resort. When we first looked at purchasing years ago we were deciding between Boardwalk and Beach Club. Beach Club is by far my favorite resort, but it is not my favorite DVC resort. The villas are set in the back, away from the lake and the action. While some people enjoy that, we are all about the view. Visiting before purchasing saved us from making what would have ended up being a very bad decision for us because we travel during F&W and can only find availability during the 11 month window. I"m glad we took our time before jumping in. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter