TOT for 4 1/2 year old?

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
I have been watching ride videos with my DD. She loved Haunted Mansion last year and wants to go on Tower of Terror. She wasn't very impressed by the Toy Story video (not a big fan of the movie either). I currently have FP for Star Wars, Toy Story and Frozen sing along. Should i cancel Toy Story and book TOT? I can't believe she wants to but she does. I am nervous for her (she is barely 41 inches)!

If she is tall enough and wants to do it, you should do it! Our oldest daughter had just turned 5 when she first rode TOT. She was fine and loved it.

Every kid that age is so different, and what one kid loves another may totally freak-out on. So if you think she'll enjoy it, go for it! I took DS, then age 5, on it a few years ago. He had LOVED Dinosaur, despite all the warnings you get about not taking little kids on that. But he haaaaaaated ToT and spent the rest of the trip asking if this was the "elevator ride" or not as we would get in line for things. I'm still not totally why he hated it so much - I think the drop was just way too much for him.

You know your child best. My son has been over the 40 inch mark since he was 3. One of the first rides we put him on at the milestone height was Soarin. Sadly he is almost 6 now and refuses to get back on Soarin, so I haven't even considered TOT yet. TOT is my favorite out of all the rides, so I'm hoping in the next year or two he will decide to give it a try. I will say last time I was in line for that ride I saw one child who was crying her eyes out and didn't want to get on it, but the parents kept pushing her to do it. I felt really bad for her and always wondered if she liked it.

Every kid that age is so different, and what one kid loves another may totally freak-out on. So if you think she'll enjoy it, go for it! I took DS, then age 5, on it a few years ago. He had LOVED Dinosaur, despite all the warnings you get about not taking little kids on that. But he haaaaaaated ToT and spent the rest of the trip asking if this was the "elevator ride" or not as we would get in line for things. I'm still not totally why he hated it so much - I think the drop was just way too much for him.
Thanks. i don't want to push it. I think we will wait until she is a bit older.

I would try other thrill rides and coasters first to see how she does on them. I would keep the FP for Toy Story- its line is generally longer and it is a whole lot more fun doing it than watching it, even if you aren't a Toy Story fan. If she really wants to do it, and has enjoyed some other coasters/thrill rides, I would let her try it. My DD still doesn't like it at age 10, but at MNSSHP party, we met a 3 year old that had ridden it 4 times in one day because she absolutely loved it. Her parents were very surprised- and tired of riding it. Some kids are just natural thrill seekers (and some are not!)

I would give her the option. DD6 has been tall enough since she was 4 and absolutely loves ToT. I was nervous taking her on it since she seemed so little, but she had seen the videos and wanted to do it. She looked terrified out of her mind the entire ride and I thought "Oh my gosh, we've ruined her! I'm a terrible parent!" As soon as we got off she yelled "I want to do it again!" We rode it 3 more times since it was evening EMH. I never thought she'd be a daredevil since she was afraid of the Pooh ride the year before, but thrill rides are her thing. She loved Everest and Space Mt at 5 and just made it on RnR this past trip at 6. We had to ride that 3 times until it closed and she couldn't go anymore. You never know what they'll love and hate- she doesn't really like HM and Dinosaur is something she would rather not ride. We've never pushed her into going on a ride- just left it up to her. You can always take her through the queue for ToT and if she seems completely freaked just take the chicken exit. Have a wonderful trip!

TOT was one of my 4 year old dd's favorite rides. I was very nervous about her going on but she was persistent so my dh took her on. Of course he held on to her very tight since she is on the smaller side. She still talks about it almost daily.

My daughter loved that ride from the time she was 3 and tall enough to ride. My 7 year old son still does not want to ride it. It all depends on the kid. If she loved Haunted Mansion and likes thrill rides then she should be fine.

Last time we went, my then 8-year old really wanted to do TOT. Cried through the entire ride and then for nearly an hour after. Toy Story Mania is fun. We're not big fans of the movies either, but we all enjoyed it.

I would definitely recommend it! We took our DD on her first Disney trip 4 days after she turned four. ToT was her first big ride and she loved it!!!! She's laughing in the drop photo.

My DD rode everything she could once tall enough - Space Mountain, TOT, and Rock & Roller Coaster. If the kid is tall enough, and wants to, go for it. It's us adults that put fear into the kids! She rode R&R at 6 or 7, and my 13 year old nephew was afraid to ride, and then after getting home he regretted not riding! Unfortunately, now she can't ride a lot due to her medical issues, so I'm glad she did!

I have been watching ride videos with my DD. She loved Haunted Mansion last year and wants to go on Tower of Terror. She wasn't very impressed by the Toy Story video (not a big fan of the movie either). I currently have FP for Star Wars, Toy Story and Frozen sing along. Should i cancel Toy Story and book TOT? I can't believe she wants to but she does. I am nervous for her (she is barely 41 inches)!

Have her watch a you tube video and see what she thinks. If she's tall enough to ride it, and she wants to ride it, I think you should let her. My son loved it at that age, my daughter was 5 the first time she rode it and she loved it, too. If you don't let her ride it, you might hear about it for years LOL

My DD was over 40" for the first time on our trip last month. She loved all of the height requirement (40") rides, EXCEPT ToT. However, after quizzing her about it, she was fine with the actual ride - it was the pre-show video that terrified her. She says she will NEVER go again, but had been willing to try it the one time. So, if you try, maybe hide her eyes during the video?

If she's tall enough and wants to do it then I say to go for it. However, you wouldn't be able to switch out your Toy Story FP for ToT. Toy Story is a tier 1 ride and ToT is a tier 2. I'd keep Toy Story anyway, it is so much fun even if it doesn't look that fun while watching as a video. I'd switch out the Frozen show FP for ToT. From my experience, you don't need to use a FP for the Frozen show. I've always been able to get in to a show without one. Good luck!

My daughter did ToT at age 3 and loved it. Went on it 5 times in a row with my husband. At the time, my 11yr old said "once was enough"

Went again 2 years later and now at 5 years old, she only went on it once. She liked it but didn't love it like when she was 3. The 13yr old went on it 3 times in a row. Go figure.

You don't need a FP for the Frozen show. Get one for ToT. If she changes her mind before, no big deal.

My daughter was 4.5 on her first visit and really wanted to ride ToT. We hadn't watched any videos and had no idea what it entailed. I was so nervous to take her on, but I did, and she loved it. It is still her favorite ride, and she's 23 now. She hates Haunted Mansion, by the way. My older son had just turned 7 on that first trip, and he absolutely did not want to try ToT. I'm pretty sure that he didn't try it until he was in his early teens. That time was a one and done. He's 25 now and enjoys it, but it's still not a favorite. So, it really depends on the person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter