Tolls - Help Please!

Bilboo

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

Another question sorry, I was only in Orlando in 2012 but so much seems to have changed.

I've been reading that some toll gates are fully automated and you need a 'Sun Pass' - is that correct?

Driving will be Orlando International to Kissimmee and back, then around the various parks plus trips out to Busch Gardens and Kennedy, can I just use cash for this driving?

Also when I pick up the car I'm guessing the Sun Pass is a hard sell, anything I should look out for? I've found a decent deal with Thrify for the car hire, if that makes any difference?

Any help is much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Regards
John

Just got back yesterday and drove from Orlando International to WDW on the 417 toll road, you didn't need the sunpass. Also drove to Busch Gardens (no toll) and down to the gulf coast (again no toll).

We drove to Cocoa Beach last year on the 528 and paid all tolls with cash then, so unless its changed in the last 12 months or so then you should be ok.

The only sign I saw where they said you needed the sun pass was on the Florida turnpike which we didn't need to use.

Mrs Doubtfire is correct.

Cash is king

Stay away from Turnpike & Miami .

Take Toll Exit & Stay on extreme Right Lanes with Cash Signs & Green Lights

When you pick up car . Just Ask to make sure that If Sun Pass is installed that IT is Turned OFF.

Note on some Exit Toll Points there are Cash Baskets where you " Throw " your coins into.

IF you feel that Your " Pitch " of coins is not Your strong point .... then get out of car and place coins

in basket ........ so what if you slow down the cars behind you ..... you will never see them again anyway.

Just make sure you have Quarters. We got stung leaving the 417 at the coin/sunpass only exit!

Admittedly it's been 2 years since we last went (Flying in 20 days WooHoo! :) ) but as others have said we've never hit a Sunpass Only booth.

We do the MCO to Disney run, we drive to Tampa and go to Busch Gardens, we drive to Port Canaveral, and we do general driving around the Lake Buena Vista, Kissimee, & Orlando Area (Oh, there's a great classic hot dog place in old Kissimee that I highly recommend :) ).

The only issue we ever had was the same as Jon84 above. We came of at a junction on the way back from Busch to go to a local food place our friends recommended (they're locals so know the non-touristy places) only for the toll to be change or Sunpass only.

We didn't have any change but our friends assured us that you could send the amount to the toll company after the fact and they sorted that out for us.

We never heard from the rental company about a fine (and if we'd been fined, Avis would have hit our credit card so hard our ancestors would have felt it! ;) ) so we assume that everything was good. :)

Admittedly it's been 2 years since we last went (Flying in 20 days WooHoo! :) ) but as others have said we've never hit a Sunpass Only booth.

We do the MCO to Disney run, we drive to Tampa and go to Busch Gardens, we drive to Port Canaveral, and we do general driving around the Lake Buena Vista, Kissimee, & Orlando Area (Oh, there's a great classic hot dog place in old Kissimee that I highly recommend :) ).

The only issue we ever had was the same as Jon84 above. We came of at a junction on the way back from Busch to go to a local food place our friends recommended (they're locals so know the non-touristy places) only for the toll to be change or Sunpass only.

We didn't have any change but our friends assured us that you could send the amount to the toll company after the fact and they sorted that out for us.

We never heard from the rental company about a fine (and if we'd been fined, Avis would have hit our credit card so hard our ancestors would have felt it! ;) ) so we assume that everything was good. :)

The fine is usually the toll cost plus $10

In November 2016 I drove .... on a country road .... from The Netherlands into Germany.

Caught by " Camera " ..... 200 yards into Germany ...... doing 57Km in a 50 km area

2 letters in post this week ( A ) A €20 Euro admin. charge by Sixt ( B ) A letter , translated into 3 languages

for € 10 Euro speeding fine to be paid by 12 th January 2017 .......... Good photo of Me driving car.

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies, looks like my plan is...

- Ensure I don't get SunPass applied to my hire at the Thrifty desk
- Stay on the main routes
- Stay in the right hand lane approaching Toll Booths
- Have a bag of change in the car
- Hope for the best!

Anything else I need to think about?

Also, is there anyway to pre check-in at Thrifty and just go straight to the garage, would prefer to avoid the the desks if I can?

Finally, DisFanJen - What the name of the hotdog place?

Many thanks again, really appreciate the help.

Regards
John

Last edited:
Thrifty have a Blue Chip membership programme, I don't know if that is anything like the Dollar Express membership?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!