• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To park hop or not

We have never had a park hopper until our last trip in September which included the park hopper option. This was an adults trip, but even when we went with adult kids and grandkids we have never had park hopper.

We only park hopped one day, that was it, from Epcot to MK to see the evening show and fireworks. I agree with playing it by ear or costing out the difference in an extra day on your tickets. Now I at least know that when costing out a packagea that require park hopper option versus room only discount, the park hopper feature is of little to no value to us. Everybody has different touring preferences, this is just our experience.

Last edited:
Why don't you play this by ear a bit and decide there? Upgrades like this are easy at guest relations. I don't think park hopping is in your best interest, personally. I don't think you need the cost or time it takes. As a first time visitor - you have PLENTY to do at each park.

Also - you are counting on NICE weather - and a pool day. In November - that may or may not happen - and may not happen on the day you have planned. If you have a down day planned and its 65 degrees and cloudy - that's a great park day - not a great pool day. And consider your total cost of adding a park day vs. adding the hopping. How LONG of a day are you really going to have with the ages of your kids?

And yes - you do need to plan if you are going to see HEA this trip with the number of party days in there. That day at MK - especially that evening at MK - will be PACKED. That's the problem during the party season and HEA only being on some nights. Yes - you can go to MK on those days - just realize the park will be packed. I would want to plan FP's during that time. Everyone has the same idea - it's a late night with HEA. I've done it - and had a great time - just realize its going to be BUSY!

If I bought my package with a travel agent, can I still add tickets once I get there? The only way I'd see HEA is if I park hop because the other days that the party is not happening, they have EHM or interfere with my other FP+ . My husband is not really thrilled about park hopping, rope dropping or anything Disney in general haha. I know he couldn't care less if we watch HEA or not, but it would be a shame if we go to Disney (probably only trip) without experiencing it. We saw Wishes 2 years ago from the polynesian and while it was nice, I know it's not the same. We were in the Orlando area and went to the poly just for dinner.

Just throwing it out there that you really want to be in MK on the party days because the crowds are generally lower, and you can get so many more rides done.

Because there are so many party days, the non-party days will be PACKED with people who want a full MK day.

Ideally, you would go to MK only for the fireworks, either because you have hoppers and were in another park earlier or because you got an extra park day and went in the evening after your resort day.

Another option to consider is to move your FP around. I know they’re booked already, but you might be able to make it work, depending on what you want to see. I just think that if this is perhaps your only trip to Disney, it would be a shame for you to spend your MK day in the crush of people who will be there on a non-party day.

I have always thought park hoping is not as helpful if you have 5-day tickets or longer as you can just plan your days to see what you want. The exception to that would be if you are going to take mid-day breaks most park days anyway, then you are not impacted by travel as much.

We have always park hopped. Not sure I would even know how to go about planning a trip where we didn’t hop. But then again, a lot of our trips have been during festivals so we spend most evenings in Epcot

I am a park hopper but I wouldn't add the hopper if my main intent was just to see HEA at MK. I'd add the extra days for more but shorter park days instead. Also, if my husband wasn't into Disney, the last thing I'd do would be to drag him into the sea of humanity that will be at MK on a non park day to see HEA.

If I bought my package with a travel agent, can I still add tickets once I get there? The only way I'd see HEA is if I park hop because the other days that the party is not happening, they have EHM or interfere with my other FP+ . My husband is not really thrilled about park hopping, rope dropping or anything Disney in general haha. I know he couldn't care less if we watch HEA or not, but it would be a shame if we go to Disney (probably only trip) without experiencing it. We saw Wishes 2 years ago from the polynesian and while it was nice, I know it's not the same. We were in the Orlando area and went to the poly just for dinner.
You can do ticket upgrades - adding hoppers or adding a day - at Guest Relations at WDW. You just need your MB's/tickets. Those locations are outside the tapsiles of the parks, inside the parks, and at Disney Springs. You can also do this at the concierge at your WDW resort if you are staying on property - but sometimes those lines are long, IMO. If you want to add a day - it just has to be done before you leave the park on your last day of tickets.

Many think HEA is a must-do. I don't - especially during party season when it is SO crowded because its only some nights. I PERSONALLY prefer fabulous firework shows with great music and theming that move you - I think HEA is about the projections - and I personally can't stand the masses to get the great view you need to really appreciate the projections on the castle. But I realize I am in the minority.

There is an advantage to going to MK on a party day - especially before 4 pm - crowds aren't bad. I do recommend FP's between 4-6pm those days - OR - leaving things that don't really require them to the end of the day - like CoP, treehouse, shopping. And if you put a Table Service meal someplace after you leave the park on a party day - it can feel like a full day of activity. OR - it's early enough to hit the pool, though counting on the weather that time of year to be warm enough in the evening is risky.

I'm not sure what FP's you got. Yes - some headliners like FOP or SDD would likely be impossible to reschedule to switch around which days you go to which park - but if you didn't get those in the first place - you might be able to rethink which days you are headed to each day to be able to go to MK on a late night day with HEA.

Another random idea is instead of buying HOPPERS - add the party ticket for the down day (I'm not sure if those line up or not in terms of day of the week). Yes - that would be more than the cost of hoppers by a fair amount - but you would get the great party instead - and while not HEA - a great fireworks show Now - the party is only worth it, IMO, if your kids can stay up until midnight - and then still make it up the next morning for the next day's plans.

Or really - just leave the plans the way you originally had them - 4 day basic ticket and one day at the resort. That can be an awesome trip right there. It's the family time that's most important!!!!!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I decided to add a 5th day instead and go to MK late afternoon to watch HEA on the evening they have it.

The PH options can be added at ticket booths as well as Guest Relations. The lines at the ticket booths are often shorter than Guest Relations.

There are certain travel agents that sell different tickets and packages and those tickets CANNOT be changed or add a park hopper, etc. once you get there. Just something to keep in mind depending on what you have purchased. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter