Tim and Lesley Year of Million Compromises/TONS pics- 8/5 help me pg. 164!!!

Lesley,
I can't answer which place to stay or meal plan... maybe after we stay at the WL I will have an opinion! But I can say...don't go later due to Gay Days. You can see on the website for the group which park which days they are at and plan accordingly. Two years ago we overlapped and did not notice at all! Plus the earlier you go... the less states that will be out of school!

Just my opinion!

Thats a tough question Lesley, but surely whatever you decide
will be ok. If you really loved POFQ I'd go with that...on the
other hand I love WL:love: Anyway, you will decide on a plan
and change it as time goes on! What does Tim say??:confused3

RATES ARE OUT AND I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!:thumbsup2
So I spent some of the day on the phone with Disney and on the computer looking at rates, can't wait for AAA to open tomorrow so I can figure out the prices with AAA discounts. Right now it is looking like our dates in June would be the 9th-18th if we do 9 nights. I wanted to do earlier because we get out of school on the 4th but gaydays runs until the 9th this year and it can get kinda crazy down there and my kids ask A LOT of questions and I'm not ready to answer those questions yet if you know what I mean. . .;)
The new deluxe dining plan is really appealing to me but it also stinks about tipping.
If we did 9 nights at POFQ with 10 day hoppers and the REGULAR dining plan (same as this year - appetizers) it would be 3772.40 w/out the AAA discount, I'm thinking grand total around 3372 with discount, we'll see tomorrow.
If we did 9 nights at POFQ 10 day hoppers and DELUXE dining plan it would be 4528.40 so I'm thinking around 4128 with AAA, again can't wait for tomorrow to see. It is tempting because with the second plan ALL food is included so I wouldn't have to budget money at all, but would need about 30 dollars in tips a day for our meals.
The other option is OF COURSE WL. For 8 nights standard view at WL with the regular dining plan and 9 day hopper it would be 4310.20 so with AAA I'm thinking around 3910.20
8 nights WL with 9 day hopper with DELUXE dining plan is 4982.20 so with AAA I'm thinking it's around 4582, again, can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.:rolleyes1
So what would you do? Would you do deluxe dining, knowing all meals are covered and 9 nights at POFQ? ORRRRR would you go "back home" to WL and forgo the deluxe dining plan and do 8 nights instead of 9 for about 100 less than staying 9 nights at POFQ and getting deluxe dining. OR would you try to really save and do the 9 nights at POFQ with the regular dining plan which is the cheapest option.:confused3
I need help people, what would you do????

Lesley

Hi Lesley,
By no means am I any kind of trip planner (you already know that right:lmao: ) But I would probably go with the option that puts you at POR for the most number of nights with the regular dining because its cheapest and you have done the regular dining before and it was fine-right? Just my thoughts but please let us know what you decide to do...Im looking forward to a PTR and a TR!!!!!:cool1:

Hey Lesley! I feel your pain about the 08 rates and decisions:confused3 Personally, I would go back to POFQ and do the basic dining package. For me I can't imagine having to plan for 4 hrs worth of TS meals each day. Granted you could do a signature and then another TS or CS for that matter but then you are decreasing the value of the plan. It just seems like a lot of time to spend sitting in restaurants especially with younger children the ages of my children 7&5 and yours too. Any child no matter how good they are I think would fing that tough to handle for 9-10 days. In addition, if they don't change the kids meal options (which currently stink) I couldn't imagine paying more for those particular selections.:sad2: Also trying to pick your meals 3 times a day around the best park days etc. just seems like sooooo much work and stress although you are great at that!:) Good Luck with your decision!:wizard: Thanks for the link to this info by the way I spent all morning going over it!:thumbsup2

Lesley

I have been doing the same thing there are too many options now.

I would go as early as you can to help reduce the crowds.

Have you thought about doing a split stay, maybe 5 or 6 days on the deluxe plan and then room only for the remaining. 9 days of 3 meals a day is going to be a lot of time spent in restaurants, and a lot of boring snacks. You could also do 2 resorts that way, if you don't mind packing up. I think you would miss the extra day, and it does not sound like you spend all that much time at the resort.

Sorry to give you another option to think about.

Lisa

First of all, know that I will ALWAYS vote for WL when given a choice...:rotfl:

What about 9 nights at WL with the Regular dining package? I don't see that as an option, but it would probably cost the same as 9 at POFQ with the Deluxe plan, wouldn't it? The Deluxe Dining Plan is so expensive and now you have to factor in the tips with your budget. Are the kids options going to improve with the Deluxe plan?

We had a tough time using up all of our credits during a 6 night stay - and that included a 2 credit meal at CRT. With the exception of our MK breakfast day, we eat breakfast in our rooms though.

I am trying to figure this one out myself Leslie!!

I can't help a lot but I can say, I think scheduling two sit downs a day (unless you are doing some dinner shows or signature places) would be A LOT of ADR's and scheduling and yadayada. I don't see your kids as the type (like mine) to sit and eat food for three or more hours (total) out of their Disney Day but I could be wrong! I also think with the ages of your kids the DxDDP doesn't seem TOO high (whereas I have two over 9 that eat like little kids)....

I hope we get back to the Poly for value season next fall but we will just have to see. For now its SOG during our Spring Break (Easter week) for 666.00

Can't beat that with a stick. I calculated the costs of where we would eat, what we may order including tips and drinks with some desserts and still come out $1000 dollars ahead compared to doing the Dxddp at POR-AB

Tough choices I know....good luck!

Hey Lesley,
Decisions to be made, eh? I can't believe they took away the gratuity and the appetizer and only reduced the price by a dollar. I wondered how long it would take before they realized they weren't charging enough for the dining plan. Frankly I was hoping someone was sleeping and wouldn't wake up.:lmao: Anyway, I say again, why not try a value resort and go for 2 wks. If you get the waterparks and more hopper you can do the waterparks for a day x 2. A day shopping/playing in Downtown Disney, a day by the pool plus your 10 day hopper for the parks...poof 14 days gone. What do you think? :confused3 You could even upgrade your dining if you thought you'd use it. You could even get 2 rooms so you and Tim could have some alone time. when you book you have to say an adult would be in each room(for safety) and request connecting rooms. Thanks for your mini tr. Looks like fun. My daughter doesn't go back to school until Sept 5 and I'm having sad feelings and I still have a month. Of course the sooner you go back the sooner Disney comes:cheer2:

Hey I just wanted to let you know I started a trip report so I hope you go read it Lesley! P.S. I'm sad to say we never got around to trying to be a Flag Family!

My vote is just to do a Disney Cruise, maybe follow it up with a few days in the parks. Of course I'm a bit biased...lol.

Some numbers for you...

3 night cruise on the Disney Wonder $1,200
5 nights at a deluxe (AKL is what I was quoted) with park hopper 5 day, dining plan...$2,347

Total: $3547.00

RATES ARE OUT AND I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!:thumbsup2
So I spent some of the day on the phone with Disney and on the computer looking at rates, can't wait for AAA to open tomorrow so I can figure out the prices with AAA discounts. Right now it is looking like our dates in June would be the 9th-18th if we do 9 nights. I wanted to do earlier because we get out of school on the 4th but gaydays runs until the 9th this year and it can get kinda crazy down there and my kids ask A LOT of questions and I'm not ready to answer those questions yet if you know what I mean. . .;)
The new deluxe dining plan is really appealing to me but it also stinks about tipping.
If we did 9 nights at POFQ with 10 day hoppers and the REGULAR dining plan (same as this year - appetizers) it would be 3772.40 w/out the AAA discount, I'm thinking grand total around 3372 with discount, we'll see tomorrow.
If we did 9 nights at POFQ 10 day hoppers and DELUXE dining plan it would be 4528.40 so I'm thinking around 4128 with AAA, again can't wait for tomorro1w to see. It is tempting because with the second plan ALL food is included so I wouldn't have to budget money at all, but would need about 30 dollars in tips a day for our meals.
The other option is OF COURSE WL. For 8 nights standard view at WL with the regular dining plan and 9 day hopper it would be 4310.20 so with AAA I'm thinking around 3910.20
8 nights WL with 9 day hopper with DELUXE dining plan is 4982.20 so with AAA I'm thinking it's around 4582, again, can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.:rolleyes1
So what would you do? Would you do deluxe dining, knowing all meals are covered and 9 nights at POFQ? ORRRRR would you go "back home" to WL and forgo the deluxe dining plan and do 8 nights instead of 9 for about 100 less than staying 9 nights at POFQ and getting deluxe dining. OR would you try to really save and do the 9 nights at POFQ with the regular dining plan which is the cheapest option.:confused3

Lesley

You have nearly the EXACT same dilemma as me, only we're looking at regular season in October. WL is where we were planning to stay, and then the deluxe dining came out.

This is what I've come up with as far as numbers. If we do the basic dining plan, we will spend $150 (approx) out of pocket for the Hoop Dee Doo dinner show. We will be spending at least $15/day on other food items (or $120 for eight nights) since we'd only have one CS and one TS per day. When you add those two costs into the dining plan, food will now cost us $1070 for 8 nights or $133.75/night. If we add in a refillable mug for each of us, then it's $1150/8 or $143.75/night. For another $37/night we could have deluxe dining, essentially however many TS meals we want, no concern over what we order cost-wise and no sticking to that $15/day limit on incidental food items. The part of no gratuity kind of stinks, but I'm more inclined to do one CS for breakfast, have 2 snacks for lunch and do a signature dinner. For us a signature dinner will run at most $120, or $24 for a tip. It's a tough call. I REALLY want to go back to WL as we haven't been there since 2004, on the other hand we really like POR and to have all our food issues completely taken care of for a week is really tempting. I don't think I would do WL with the deluxe dining plan. I have to cut my spending somewhere. If we do WL we will do the basic dining plan and make it work. So for me, I just have to decide if some of the signature meals/extra character meals are more worth to me, or if the lodge is more important. Not sure if I helped any, but I'm right there with you :)

I think I am just going to do the regualer dining plan for us next year. I just can't see my DS sitting at that many TS meals each day, and I think that is alot of time in a restaurant and time that can be spent riding rides, etc!! LOL Just my opinnion though!! We are going to do the waterparks this time too!!

I am looking at the prices you posted without AAA discounts. Just to see what the differences are.

If we did 9 nights at POFQ with 10 day hoppers and the REGULAR dining plan (same as this year - appetizers) it would be 3772.40 w/out the AAA discount

If we did 9 nights at POFQ 10 day hoppers and DELUXE dining plan it would be 4528.40... It is tempting because with the second plan ALL food is included so I wouldn't have to budget money at all, but would need about 30 dollars in tips a day for our meals.

The other option is OF COURSE WL. For 8 nights standard view at WL with the regular dining plan and 9 day hopper it would be 4310.20

8 nights WL with 9 day hopper with DELUXE dining plan is 4982.20

I think I do not fully understand the different DPs so I can't say about that.

As for POFQ vs WL, since you enjoyed POFQ I'd definitely return there. Have the extra day AND save money (if you go with the regular DP, 4310.20 minus 3772.40 is 537.80, put it in a "Future DVC" account!)

By the way, since you are now planning your 2008 trip maybe you should start a new thread!!!!!!

I am with Purplepeg!

Have you considered doing a value? DH and I stayed at WL our first trip down and LOVED IT! However, we discovered we didn't stay in our room enough to justify the price of staying there vs. a value.

For the past two years we have stayed at POP and we are staying there again in September for two weeks. It is by no means the WL, but it is not a roach infested dive either and for just about half price I will stay at POP everytime.

I think the kiddies would like it because of the over exaggerated theming and you would be able to add another notch to your Disney Resort Staying belt.

Either way, make sure to let us know what you decide!

Got to love planning for '08! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Update to my earlier post. I cancelled our 7 nights WL for June of next year and instead booked an October package at POR. I booked for 8 nights with basic dining and 9 days of Park Hopper Passes so we can attend the MNSSHP. Our trip will coincide with a teacher in-service day so the girls will be out of school for 5 days, not 6. I realize that might not be an option for you as a teacher, but we're still in "regular" season rates.

What tipped my scale is that WL puts us at $4K no matter which way I try and finagle the numbers. POR including tax/insurance is $3300. Also, I really wanted to stay 8 nights and have more time for the parks and more time to relax. When we stay fewer nights we try to do too much. I realize we're only staying an additional day, but for us it makes a big difference. The extra day will also allow me to use TS credits for HDDR and still have a sit down meal every other day of our trip (except the first day when we'll eat CS for dinner).

While I absolutely LOVE WL, without me working I can't justify the expense and I'd rather have a shot at going to WDW once a year, than have to forego a trip because we "splurged".

Now mind you, I have been known to change my plans on a regular basis, but I'm feeling pretty good about this one. :rolleyes:

So. .. . . .I have looked at everyones thoughts, and they are all GREAT, thank you thank you thank you. Tim and I have had some discussion about what we want to do, when we want to go, stay, etc. Here is what I think we have decided.
POFQ for 8 nights starting June 5th with the regular dining plan. I am trying to decide where to eat to get the best bang for my buck with this new plan, OHanas is definitely one of them because the no appetizer thing doesn't apply there, just the gratuity would need to be paid. Any other ideas?
My AAA discount would put us at the following:
2910 for 8 nights at POFQ, 9 day hoppers, dining package = not too bad. We may end up being able to afford another night,we'll just have to wait and see.
I will keep each of you posted.
Lesley

My vote is just to do a Disney Cruise, maybe follow it up with a few days in the parks. Of course I'm a bit biased...lol.

Some numbers for you...

3 night cruise on the Disney Wonder $1,200
5 nights at a deluxe (AKL is what I was quoted) with park hopper 5 day, dining plan...$2,347

Total: $3547.00
O.K., Darlene, you have to PM me about this, was this for our dates in June??? If so I would definitely do this option!!!!!
Lesley

O.K., Darlene, you have to PM me about this, was this for our dates in June??? If so I would definitely do this option!!!!!
Lesley

That sounds great! But just keep in mind that you will need passports for everyone if you do the cruise.

A child's passport costs: $82
An adult renewal: $62
A new adult passport: $97
Passport photos: $8/each x 4 = $32

If everyone of you needs a new passport, you're looking at $390. We had originally booked a 4 night on the Wonder for May 2008, but by the time we had all the fees (passport), cost of parking at the port (we'd be driving down), hotel the night before, etc, it was around $2900 for a 4 night cruise. The cruise itself was about $2300 including taxes.

Les, sorry to stir the pot, forgive me, realized that when I redid the cruise search by room type it gave me some dates in Sept....hence the cheap rate. Looks like June would be about $2,000. =o(

But you never know what rates might come out. There is always hope. Trust me it would be the best $$$ you've ever spent. It's heaven, well atleast as close to it as you can get...lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter