Thoughts on SkippersCanteen

Dano13

Long Island, NY
Skippers Canteen was only in the rumour stage the last time we were in WDW so we were considering trying it. Our ADR window will open in a few weeks so I have starting to monitor the ADR availability a nit and Skippers seems like it may be difficult to land around 6pm. Is this what others have found? And what is the overall impression of the restaurant and food?

We had an ADR right around 6pm with no trouble for our December trip. We only made it because SC was the only thing left when we booked 6 weeks out. As for the restaurant we were impressed. We had great service and really enjoyed the food. We will definitely be going back.

We just tried it a few weeks ago and found nearly everything (four different entrees and two desserts) to be very bland. The pork was the best of our four. We will go back because we enjoyed the experience overall (the theming and service were both top notch), but we will be very selective on what we order. Skip dessert. The presentation was beautiful but the flavor was underwhelming. Your money is better spent on a treat somewhere else.

NOTE1: We were not impressed by the quality of the food. It was if someone said, "If were build a restaurant, they will eat." Well, we ate. We didn't truly relish the food, but we spent money, which is what Disney wants. There is a nod to countries and areas which are on the Jungle Cruise ride, but few instances where one can recognize the food of any specific country due to its spices or preparation.
NOTE2: This was our second trial, our 1st review was done during the SOFT OPENING, so food quality and CM behavior may have changed. Contrary to what many had thought, or hoped, there are no alcohol drinks at Skipper Canteen. At this review, lunch and dinner has the same 1-DDP Table Service menu.
NOTE3: For a new eatery, I had thought the facility design would have more interesting and food more unique. Although quite pleasant, there is little truly unique or fascinating. And, even though the SERVERS continued Jungle Cruise gags, it isn't enough to warrant us going back to the Canteen. SERVER attention and food quality are very spotty.
NOTE4: We still wonder why they didn't name it "Scupper" Canteen !

these reviews of mediocre tasting food for the prices are what keep us from trying skippers. we like adventerous and tasty/ different and the menu reads like it is but every review since it opened seems meh. sad because we love jungle cruise theme

My family and I enjoyed it. The food was good, service was great, and restaurant decor was pretty cool. We're planned to going back in July.

these reviews of mediocre tasting food for the prices are what keep us from trying skippers. we like adventerous and tasty/ different and the menu reads like it is but every review since it opened seems meh. sad because we love jungle cruise theme

Yeah, the menu reads great, but I'm not sure the chefs actually read it! I think I get what their motive is. Truly exotic food is overwhelming to many people, so in an attempt to make it acceptable to all, they actually made it mediocre and flavorless. I think the menu was designed to have lots of spice and flavor, but some bean counter, who knows nothing about food, told the chefs to tone the spices down, out of fear of it being too spicy for the MK. Problem is, every ingredient is important to a recipe, even the spice.

Or maybe the food has sucked from the get go.

I ate here half off. My feelings about going back may be influenced by this fact. I know if I had paid full price I would have been livid.

I'm surprised to read the negative reviews...leading up to my trip in December, the reviews were quite positive, and our experience there was good! The cachapas app was amazing (replaced the arepas), my occasionally picky 13 year old loved the Niles and Niles of Rice Noodles...and so did my Pho loving husband (although he said it wasn't as flavorful as traditional pho, but that's to be expected!). The only blah choice was the Skip's Beefy Pasta my 11 year old had. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as good as everything else.

We had a great server and the restaurant itself is beautiful, and we loved that all the rooms were themed differently.

We were there before they changed the menu and we loved it, but it was so expensive, even to Disney standards.

Contrary to what many had thought, or hoped, there are no alcohol drinks at Skipper Canteen.

Beer and wine are on the disneyworld.com menu, is this correct? If so, are beer and wine available at lunch? The availability of beer is the main reason I've booked a lunch here. If JSC is still teetotal I'd most likely cancel in favor of QS.

While I have never eaten at Skipper Canteen, I look forward to trying it. I don't go by what others say about the restaurant because I have seen HORRIBLE reviews about Mama Melrose over the years and it is one of our yearly Disney Must Do's!!

Beer and wine are on the disneyworld.com menu, is this correct? If so, are beer and wine available at lunch? The availability of beer is the main reason I've booked a lunch here. If JSC is still teetotal I'd most likely cancel in favor of QS.
Yes, beer and wine are available at lunch. This started on December 23.

We were there in March for lunch before they started taking ADRs and before they changed the menu and for the most part, we all really enjoyed it. The service was fantastic (she was really patient with my two younger kids, both of whom were hangry and one of whom is annoyingly picky). We did skip dessert--nothing on the menu looked tempting and we all just wanted to head out and start hitting rides--and my oldest ordered one of their specialty drinks (the Schweitzer Slush? I think?) and was less than impressed.

But overall it's on our "must do again" list. I was really pleased.

(Also the official WDW Instagram account commented on my photo of the exterior; I was high on that all afternoon. "DID I MENTION I'M KIND OF A BIG DEAL?" "Yes, you did, honey. Now shut up.")

We liked it. I would order something else next time though. The "tastes like chicken" wasn't great but the apps were and the service was super"

we were there last week for the first time. We really loved it, and will certainly be going back

My wife and I ate at Skipper's Canteen in April of this year. No problem getting a reservation. I found the food to be to spicy and did not enjoy it at all. Also felt the menu was limited in choices (probably because everything seemed to sound spicy). The service was so so with the waiters attempting to be witty and tell jokes. Prices are high, but then everything at Disney is to high. BTW I do own some Disney stock, so all you Disney fans keep going, please.

Not sure if I would go back again and certainly would be cautious about recommending it to anyone.

we also dont always rely on others reviews and try things out for ourselves but at those prices not willing to risk it for noodle bowl or blah pho. the pork meat dish that is reddish in color with white rice seems to be popular but not for us. Keep hoping the menu changes again and the chefs get it better one of these years....enough for us to try!

we also dont always rely on others reviews and try things out for ourselves but at those prices not willing to risk it for noodle bowl or blah pho. the pork meat dish that is reddish in color with white rice seems to be popular but not for us. Keep hoping the menu changes again and the chefs get it better one of these years....enough for us to try!

I'm not usually a pork eater, but it really was the best of everything we ordered. Like light years better. We sampled each other's food, and I was jealous of my dad who ordered it. I had the lamb, mom tried the veggie curry, DH had Tastes Like Chicken. I can't have chocolate, so desserts were the coconut bar and Quicksand. None of it was inedible, it just didn't live up to my expectations based on similar food. The lamb was very bland, even the meat itself was bland. I ordered it medium rare and got something nearer to rare. I should have sent it back, so that's my fault.

The table next to ours ordered the whole lion fish. Now that looked tasty and they seemed to enjoy it.

Skippers Canteen was only in the rumour stage the last time we were in WDW so we were considering trying it. Our ADR window will open in a few weeks so I have starting to monitor the ADR availability a nit and Skippers seems like it may be difficult to land around 6pm. Is this what others have found?

Skipper is one of those Disney restaurants that really likes even numbered parties. If you are looking for an odd number, you won't get nearly the same amount of availability. If this is your case, bump it up to an even number and modify it in your MDE. Or don't worry about it as you won't be charged for the phantom person as a no show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter