Thought's On New Return Time Program

Pax

Prodigal Poster
Hey strangers :smooth:

What's everyone's take on the impending "virtual queue" planned for the parks?

Today I read there are fastpass style kiosks up at Pteranadon Flyers and there was a standing sign announcing all passes had been distributed for the day. Seems they've been there a bit. Do you think those may end up spreading too?

Despicable Me is also showing the ability to book return times in the app, though no times are coming up as available. I don't see it on other ride listings in that park. Anyone know if it is just testing or meant to be "permanent" there too?

Thoughts?

Pax

Last edited:
I would definitely be pleased to see a free Fastpass-inspired system come to some of the super headliner attractions at the parks. Despicable Me is one of my favorite rides, so if this system is running when I make it down later this month, that would be great. I'd have to assume they would want to deploy it to Reign of Kong as well.

Incidentally, the Orlando Sentinel ran a story (at least online) about the new system, mentioning that their reporter also had been unable to reserve a time on DM.

I also heard that the new Jimmy Fallon ride will also have this. I don't want to get to the point of everything being 'sold out' for the day at 10am (I remember toy story would be like this). I also don't want to have to carry around a phone all day and use some sort of app.

I like the idea of not having to stand in line - but there has to be something that stops people from just grabbing a hold in line and then walking away, and not showing up, or just showing up when they feel like it. I also wonder how this will effect express pass holders for onsite hotel guests.

I would love to hear more about how it is currently working for the few rides they're testing them on.
I would also like to hear the pros and cons of the system at Disney.

They did something like this back with HP first opened (I distinctly remember when Diagon Alley opened it was for the area and another for the ride) and it seemed to work decently. The only thing I could see being an issue is if they keep Express Pass and then add a FP style system as well. If they do that, the rides that have both basically aren't going to have a standby that will ever move or you'll have 2 groups the express pass that can just in line when ever they want like right now and then the return tickets who would enter express thus inflating the express pass lines and no one would pay the upcharge if that is the case.

Is this something that is going to replace express pass? If it does or the lines are combined with express pass then that will make me seriously reconsider staying at an express pass hotel. Hope this is not in effect for our May trip if that is the case.

I think this system will be replacing the standby queue in a few rides. I can't see it replacing every standby queue. I don't think it changes express. Time will tell! Universal is good at getting rid of something that isn't working.

As I noted in the thread I made yesterday, they were trying it out with Minions. Express was not impacted. Also they didn't do it all day. Day was split up with some hours being for people with return time tickets and some hours with just opening up the queue up to everyone.

Will be back in the parks on Thursday and Friday again so I'll check to see if they try it some more and report back on how it's going.

Interesting. They used to have a free fast pass system(used it in 2002) but took it away a few years back. The lines were never closed though. I'd much rather have a paper system than an ap.

I also wonder how this will effect express pass holders for onsite hotel guests.

I wonder this as well, but since express pass is something the sell I cant see them dropping it.
I also wonder if it will change the single rider lines in any way - it should not - but who knows.

I also wonder what time they start issuing them - will it be at park open or early entry time?
Do you insert your ticket like Disney and get one ticket at a time - or can you get them for multiple rides or some other limit like 2 or 3 until they are used?

The thing I really dont want to see is the whole race to a ride to get tickets that we used to see...one guy with 30 tickets for a tour group - nothing like getting stuck behind that person.

In theory this might be good, and they have the advantage of learning from Disney's mistakes, so it will be interesting to see....what I dont want is to get to the point where you book rides 30/60 days in advance...

I wonder this as well, but since express pass is something the sell I cant see them dropping it.
I also wonder if it will change the single rider lines in any way - it should not - but who knows.

I also wonder what time they start issuing them - will it be at park open or early entry time?
Do you insert your ticket like Disney and get one ticket at a time - or can you get them for multiple rides or some other limit like 2 or 3 until they are used?

The thing I really dont want to see is the whole race to a ride to get tickets that we used to see...one guy with 30 tickets for a tour group - nothing like getting stuck behind that person.

In theory this might be good, and they have the advantage of learning from Disney's mistakes, so it will be interesting to see....what I dont want is to get to the point where you book rides 30/60 days in advance...

Yesterday they were handing them out during early entry. And it wasn't right in front of Minions. They had a team member pointing you to go down an alleyway on the other side of the road to get one (yes, it seemed kinda sketchy ;) )

Speculation: If they do it for rides that are continually loading guests I have a feeling they would design the system so that it calculates how many people per minute the ride can support, and then assigns them with a 10 minute wait time. So you would still have to wait in a line, but 10 minutes is a heck of a lot better than 60-120 minutes. The 10 minute window will allow for larger error, and would allow the ride to continue to operate at max capacity in the chance that a few return-time-ticket-holders don't show up at their time.

I'm interested to see how it works, the issue for me is that with FP at Disney you spend a lot of timing running back and forth across the park to make your return time and then sometimes stand around waiting for your return. We calculated it once and the standby line was about 50 minutes. However our FP time took us 20 minutes to walk back to the line (some of that is crappy timing and we didn't mean to be on the other side of the park), then we were 10 minutes early for our return, then the FP line took about 15 minutes to walk through......somin theme park time we spent 45 minutes to avoid a standby line time of 50 minutes.

So idk I hate the planning that goes in to I have to be at this ride at this time and that means I can ride this and this before but not this...that Disney has become with FP.

I'm interested to see how it works, the issue for me is that with FP at Disney you spend a lot of timing running back and forth across the park to make your return time and then sometimes stand around waiting for your return. We calculated it once and the standby line was about 50 minutes. However our FP time took us 20 minutes to walk back to the line (some of that is crappy timing and we didn't mean to be on the other side of the park), then we were 10 minutes early for our return, then the FP line took about 15 minutes to walk through......somin theme park time we spent 45 minutes to avoid a standby line time of 50 minutes.

So idk I hate the planning that goes in to I have to be at this ride at this time and that means I can ride this and this before but not this...that Disney has become with FP.

Heck, I'd take 30 minutes of free time as opposed to standing in a line.

Heck, I'd take 30 minutes of free time as opposed to standing in a line.
Yeah - I totally agree in theory..but then you end up with the situation where all the tickets have been distributed for the day at 10AM - so you cant even get on the ride and there is no standby line in this case.

It's still in testing so maybe they will work all this out..or maybe it is a way to sell more express passes.

Yeah - I totally agree in theory..but then you end up with the situation where all the tickets have been distributed for the day at 10AM - so you cant even get on the ride and there is no standby line in this case.

It's still in testing so maybe they will work all this out..or maybe it is a way to sell more express passes.

I think if they implemented what I was speculating, they would have much better results if they scheduled those returns for peak hours only.

So far what they've been doing is mixing the day up. Some hours are return time, some are open for regular queuing. And express pass is valid at all times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter