They Should Really Put a Bar in Here - Closing Thoughts - 4/1

As with any trip to Disney World, the positives definitely outweighed the negatives and I know we all made memories that will last forever.

So many times it depends on your attitude, too.

Traveling with Extended Family: It isn't always a disaster.

:eek:

Always nice when you can travel with people who have similar interests.:rolleyes1

The New Fantasyland: I'll be honest. When this project was first announced, I wasn't excited. :confused3 I wanted to see the next big expensive project to be a new thrill ride or something epic to add to the experience at DHS or AK. A new Fantasyland dark ride and a restaurant didn't exactly excite me. Especially when it was coming at the expense of Toon Town. :(

Whereas some people were telling Toon Town not to let the door hit them on the way out.:rolleyes1

I really hope that Iger will come around to the idea of putting more capital towards new attractions in the park, because even though every year that passes is one year farther removed from Walt Disney, the imagineers still seem to have that ability to channel his creativity and make an experience that just captivates everyone.

Agreed. To be fair, they still have that mine coaster coming. :hyper:

And as they say the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Be Our Guest might have played a significant role in my change in attitude. :rolleyes1

::yes:: :thumbsup2

However, if you're booked at a resort and a month or 2 before your trip, it is announced as a host resort for Pop Warner... RUN!!!!:scared1:

Duly noted!

I've learned a lot of neat tricks and ideas on these boards and it is the little tips and tricks that really help to make the trip a little bit better. I've seen and done some new things that I'd never thought of because of all of you.

And in some cases, you've learned what not to do.:thumbsup2

1. DS was 36" at the time of this trip. Right now he is 37" and we will have to pay for his tickets. We really want him to be able to do more things if we're going to have to buy a ticket for him. If we do Nov/Dec 2014, he'll be almost :eek: :scared1: :faint: 5. Hopefully he'll be tall enough to ride a few more rides and old enough to get more out of the experience. Also, DD will be 2 1/2, so she'll still be "free" and hopefully will be into it the way DS was this time.

Good logic there. :thumbsup2

3. The week that was being considered for our beach trip coincides with a weekend that the Reds will be playing in Atlanta. So if DW gets her beach, I get to make a slight detour on the way to see my Reds play in another ball park. :thumbsup2

Atlanta has some interesting-looking attractions as well (Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola & Beverly, CNN Studios, MLK Jr. National Monument). Might want to look into a stop there. And for your Road Food consideration:

http://www.thevarsity.com/

There's nothing wrong with doing something different from Disney. I think it makes it feel even more special when you eventually return. :thumbsup2

This is a simple refrigerator magnet, but I got really excited when I found it. It has the old EPCOT logo and a monorail. Really... how much more awesome could a magnet be?

8613541176_7079c7daa6.jpg

Very cool. Very cool indeed.

And great job on the TR, Andy. I really enjoyed reading along.:thumbsup2

Great wrap up, I've really enjoyed reading your TR!

I agree that the ADR situation is a little crazy. Choosing meals 6 months ahead of time? And I couldn't agree more-FP+ sounds like it's going to suck the remaining fun out of things. I hope that the rumor mongers are wrong about that system.

Maybe you'll do a TR for the beach trip? I'd join in!

What a cool magnet that is! I'm always on the lookout for different magnets, too bad I didn't see this one.

Ah, your kids look great in their Easter gear :thumbsup2

Very thoughtful, uh Thoughts, in your wrap-up Andy! Great job. My son got to go when he was 2+ also, and I agree with you...we felt like he he took it all in and it was great since he was "free". And like you, I've learned so much from everyone on these boards. DISers are great!

And thanks for the bonus Easter pic. :thumbsup2
Thanks! I really feel like 2 is a great time since they can enjoy it, but don't cost a few benjamins to take along. That 3 year old mark gets pretty expensive pretty fast though. :eek:

So many times it depends on your attitude, too.
Definitely. I can see how someone unaware and unprepared could come back from the trip we were on and just be blasting Disney.

Always nice when you can travel with people who have similar interests.:rolleyes1
It certainly does help.

Whereas some people were telling Toon Town not to let the door hit them on the way out.
You know, I wasn't a big fan of the area. I never went there, and hadn't been there since the early 90's, but I did look forward to taking DS to Mickey's house and I was pretty disappointed that it never got to happen.

Agreed. To be fair, they still have that mine coaster coming.
I'm pretty excited about that. That fact helped me with the decision to wait until 2014 for our next trip since it should be open by then.

And in some cases, you've learned what not to do.:thumbsup2
Nobody better to learn that from than the Disdads. :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

Good logic there. :thumbsup2
Every once in a while...

Atlanta has some interesting-looking attractions as well (Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola & Beverly, CNN Studios, MLK Jr. National Monument). Might want to look into a stop there. And for your Road Food consideration:

http://www.thevarsity.com/

There's nothing wrong with doing something different from Disney. I think it makes it feel even more special when you eventually return. :thumbsup2
Thanks! I'll definitely check out roadfood.com before our trip. I don't think we'll spend much time in Atlanta though. Probably leave Saturday afternoon to drive down to somewhere in Tennessee, then head to Atlanta Sunday morning for a 1 pm game, then hit the road heading south. We might even attempt driving all the way to PCB that night.

I would like to stop by Huntsville, AL and go to the space museum there on the way home. Not sure if DW will go for that one or not though.

Very cool. Very cool indeed.
I was pretty happy that I found it.

And great job on the TR, Andy. I really enjoyed reading along.:thumbsup2
Thanks!

Great wrap up, I've really enjoyed reading your TR!
Thank you!

I agree that the ADR situation is a little crazy. Choosing meals 6 months ahead of time? And I couldn't agree more-FP+ sounds like it's going to suck the remaining fun out of things. I hope that the rumor mongers are wrong about that system.
I really hope FP+ is more flexible than the ADR system is now. I mean I love planning, but I also love having the ability to have that information and use it to make last minute changes if necessary. I hate having my flexibility limited.

Maybe you'll do a TR for the beach trip? I'd join in!
Hmmm... I could put something in the Disdads forum. I might, but I doubt there will be much to it. :lmao:

What a cool magnet that is! I'm always on the lookout for different magnets, too bad I didn't see this one.
I was actually looking for a metal 2012 magnet to match our 2011 magnet we had. I could find 2013 ones everywhere, but apparently there's no point stocking this year's stuff when there's one month left. I just happened to find one of these EPCOT magnets in a bin in Mouse Gears when I was looking for the 2012 magnet.

Ah, your kids look great in their Easter gear :thumbsup2
Thank you!

I was actually looking for a metal 2012 magnet to match our 2011 magnet we had. I could find 2013 ones everywhere, but apparently there's no point stocking this year's stuff when there's one month left. I just happened to find one of these EPCOT magnets in a bin in Mouse Gears when I was looking for the 2012 magnet.

I was actually expecting to see a lot of 2012 stuff on sale or clearance or something, considering there was only 2-3 weeks left of the year, but there was nothing. When we had gone on our Disney cruise in December of 2011, they had marked down a lot of their 2011 items so I was hoping for the same thing at WDW :headache:

Loved your final thoughts about the trip! Thank you for letting us relive these wonderful family memories with you. It sounds like, overall, y'all really had a great family trip. And your children are just precious - not that I have to tell you that. :rotfl:

I think the reasons for a 2014 trip are great! It really does make a lot of sense. And the beach trip for this year sounds like a lot of fun! Turner Field is a great place to watch a baseball game........even if you are cheering for the wrong team. :rolleyes1 Ed & I used to go to Braves games all the time when we lived in Atlanta. So much fun!

Closing Thoughts

Ok, I've finally gotten around to composing some closing thoughts I've had from our trip. Before I get to them, I'd like to thank everyone for reading along. Whether you've been posting or just lurking, thanks for taking the time and interest to read what I've had to say. If you are just lurking, don't be afraid to say hi.

We really did have an awesome trip and for the most part, everyone had a lot of fun. There were setbacks and disappointments, but that comes with the territory. As with any trip to Disney World, the positives definitely outweighed the negatives and I know we all made memories that will last forever. With that, here are a few random thoughts that I want to comment on.

ADR's: I love them and I hate them. It is fun to be planning the trip 6+ months out, but I hate having to lock in ADR's so far out, especially for a group as large as ours. We had a few changes that we wanted to make and it just became nearly impossible to do anything. Sure, I could have kept checking and trying to get it done even a day or 2 before, but by that time I was already on vacation and ADR stalking wasn't something I wanted to have to deal with. I just really hope this new Fast Pass system doesn't suck the fun out of planning the way locking in ADR's can sometimes.

Traveling with Extended Family: It isn't always a disaster. Truthfully, we take a trip with my wife's family about every 2 years to Gatlinburg and since 2008, we've been going to WDW with my family every 4 years. I hope these patterns continue, because we really do have a great time on all of these trips. And everyone tends to get along really well and enjoy a lot of the same things, so I'm sure that helps exponentially. :lmao:

The New Fantasyland: I'll be honest. When this project was first announced, I wasn't excited. :confused3 I wanted to see the next big expensive project to be a new thrill ride or something epic to add to the experience at DHS or AK. A new Fantasyland dark ride and a restaurant didn't exactly excite me. Especially when it was coming at the expense of Toon Town. :(
Having been there to experience the new Fantasyland first hand, it restores my faith and hope for the future of Disney imagineering. They did an excellent job and now that I've seen the (partially) finished product, I love it. I really hope that Iger will come around to the idea of putting more capital towards new attractions in the park, because even though every year that passes is one year farther removed from Walt Disney, the imagineers still seem to have that ability to channel his creativity and make an experience that just captivates everyone.

And as they say the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Be Our Guest might have played a significant role in my change in attitude. :rolleyes1

Pushing a Double Stroller: Kind of a play on the first PTR I wrote titled "I'll Never go to Disney World Pushing a Stroller." I always remember going to Disney World and seeing those poor suckers trying to get through the crowds with a stroller and dealing with whiny kids. I always thought there's no way they could be having fun and their kids are too young to enjoy it anyway. Since that experience, I've been an advocate of taking younger kids. Anytime a friend mentions going to WDW in a few years, I always point out the fact that they can save a lot of money by going before the child is 3. I love the fact that this time DS was a month away from being 3 so he really took it all in and had a blast... and didn't cost us a dime! Now having that second one around... well that made it a little more complicated. I'm glad that we had some extra hands to help us out. Dad not being able to or wanting to ride most rides was a huge help to let the rest of us get a lot done, but I really do feel bad that he spent so much time sitting over in the shade somewhere. I know he loved the time with the grandkids, but I really feel like he was missing out to a degree.

Pop Warner: Obviously this was one of the biggest negatives on this trip. As many have said, they aren't bad in the parks. If you plan a trip during Pop Warner week, don't be discouraged at all. However, if you're booked at a resort and a month or 2 before your trip, it is announced as a host resort for Pop Warner... RUN!!!!:scared1:

Don't ask questions, just book a different resort. You'll thank me later.

Food Allergies: As I discussed earlier, this was a huge disappointment for us. Disney has a reputation for being so good with food allergies, but it is clear that there is something lacking with the way they handle it at quick service places. It was bad enough that Sis missed a couple of days in the parks and MVMCP, but it could have been much worse. I appreciate the reply from DIsney and the fact that they give Sis and BiL a ticket to use later, but then again, they got two 1 day tickets to make up for 2 park days she missed, an MVMCP they both missed, and several meals that didn't get used on the days she was sick. That said, we weren't asking for anything back from Disney, but hopefully they'll at least take action to make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen in the future. That was our biggest concern.

All of the Diser's: I want to thank all of you who have shared ideas with me over the past couple of years, either by replying to my PTR/TR's or by sharing new ideas with me in yours. I've learned a lot of neat tricks and ideas on these boards and it is the little tips and tricks that really help to make the trip a little bit better. I've seen and done some new things that I'd never thought of because of all of you. Thank you!:thumbsup2

And as for our next trip...

Well after a little further consideration we won't be going to Disney World in 2013. We looked at a week in June when DW's sister will be there, but it just didn't work out really well. We liked some of the discounts available during that week and I have to admit, I was really, really excited about the idea of going during Star Wars weekends. In the end though, June isn't a great time to go since spring planting could potentially run that late for us. And right now it isn't exactly shaping up to be an early or even on time spring. We had considered going back in December again this year too, but in the end we decided to just wait until 2014.

When we sat down and priced everything out and started talking about it we made this decision for a few reasons.

1. DS was 36" at the time of this trip. Right now he is 37" and we will have to pay for his tickets. We really want him to be able to do more things if we're going to have to buy a ticket for him. If we do Nov/Dec 2014, he'll be almost :eek: :scared1: :faint: 5. Hopefully he'll be tall enough to ride a few more rides and old enough to get more out of the experience. Also, DD will be 2 1/2, so she'll still be "free" and hopefully will be into it the way DS was this time.

2. We can do our beach trip for just a little bit cheaper than Disney. With the year we had on the farm last year, saving some money, even if a marginal amount is a good thing. We're also going to buy a few Disney gift cards over the course of the next year and a half or so to go towards our next trip.

3. The week that was being considered for our beach trip coincides with a weekend that the Reds will be playing in Atlanta. So if DW gets her beach, I get to make a slight detour on the way to see my Reds play in another ball park. :thumbsup2

So with that all said, we're planning a July trip to Panama City Beach. We'll be driving with a detour through Atlanta for a baseball game and enjoy a few days on the beach at the hotel that DW and I went to for our honeymoon in 2008.

Again, thanks to everyone for reading along, and I do plan to stay around these boards, even though it doesn't look like we're going back for quite a while. I hope to stay in touch with everyone through your TR's/PTR's. For those of you who send a PM when you start one, I appreciate it, if you don't send one, don't be afraid to. I'm sometimes a little slow to leave my list of subscribed threads and see what new ones have been started. :lmao:

I loved vacationing with our family in December as well. The large group was a lot of fun, it is important that there is that certain level of common interest, respect, give & take (can't say all my vacations with large group have been as fabulous!) I have a love hate relationship with strollers, the double tends to lean more to the hate side ;) However, I do love the storage aspect. We have gone for the past two years with a double and I can not wait for next year with a single umbrella, so easy to fold up and manage, stroller.... I figure it like this, pushing a stroller cant be all bad when you are at the happiest place on Earth! On future vacations... My daughter is 38" inches right now, I really hope that in January she finally gets to 40" it will make Disney even better and taking advantage of DD being free, it is a huge plus (tickets and food add up for those munchkins!) I look forward to another TR in the future, and have fun wherever you might end up on vacation! (They are important no matter where you are!)

Also- love your "baby Minnie!" We have one too, and she is the giant Minnie's baby in our house :) Hehe

I was actually expecting to see a lot of 2012 stuff on sale or clearance or something, considering there was only 2-3 weeks left of the year, but there was nothing. When we had gone on our Disney cruise in December of 2011, they had marked down a lot of their 2011 items so I was hoping for the same thing at WDW :headache:
It really surprised me. We went in 2011, about a week earlier than we did in 2012. They had 2011 stuff everywhere still. I don't think it was on sale, but they had plenty of it. I was really surprised and disappointed that they had so few dated items in 2012.

Loved your final thoughts about the trip! Thank you for letting us relive these wonderful family memories with you. It sounds like, overall, y'all really had a great family trip. And your children are just precious - not that I have to tell you that. :rotfl:
Thank you!

I think the reasons for a 2014 trip are great! It really does make a lot of sense. And the beach trip for this year sounds like a lot of fun! Turner Field is a great place to watch a baseball game........even if you are cheering for the wrong team. :rolleyes1 Ed & I used to go to Braves games all the time when we lived in Atlanta. So much fun!
I will absolutely be cheering for the right team. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

Actually when DW mentioned the 2 weeks that she could take off in July, we wanted to find something other than just beach stuff to do. She enjoys going to Reds games, and I kind of have this personal goal that I want to see a game in every Major League ballpark (I've got a lot of work to do to get there though:rolleyes1). I just decided to look and see if the Braves were at home on a weekend that would work with our travel plans. Not only were they home, but my Reds will be in town. Couldn't ask for anything better. :thumbsup2

I loved vacationing with our family in December as well. The large group was a lot of fun, it is important that there is that certain level of common interest, respect, give & take (can't say all my vacations with large group have been as fabulous!) I have a love hate relationship with strollers, the double tends to lean more to the hate side ;) However, I do love the storage aspect. We have gone for the past two years with a double and I can not wait for next year with a single umbrella, so easy to fold up and manage, stroller.... I figure it like this, pushing a stroller cant be all bad when you are at the happiest place on Earth! On future vacations... My daughter is 38" inches right now, I really hope that in January she finally gets to 40" it will make Disney even better and taking advantage of DD being free, it is a huge plus (tickets and food add up for those munchkins!) I look forward to another TR in the future, and have fun wherever you might end up on vacation! (They are important no matter where you are!)

Also- love your "baby Minnie!" We have one too, and she is the giant Minnie's baby in our house :) Hehe
The group travel worked well, I think, because my family has done Disney World together several times as my sisters and I were growing up. At this point we really just have my DW and our kids and BiL added to the mix. BiL as a first timer was just along for the ride and willing to try anything we wanted to do. DW tends to kind of be the same way, so the fact that we didn't have any stubborn family members who think Disney's a waste of time so they are determined not to have fun helps immensely. :lmao:

I love the fact that you can take them for free under the age of 3. It saves a LOT of money. When I did the math and looked at what it will cost us now, I just can't justify spending that much money for DS when he's still under the height limit for everything except Barnstormer. :sad2:

I think in 2014 we'll still be taking the double so that DS won't get worn out walking all day. To me, it isn't that big of a deal. It's a little wider than a single, but it is still very manageable. I just won't be riding any bus transportation with it. :headache:

made it through them all, even if it was completed before i commented.:)

favorite moment, was the suggestion of bars in the lines. now that is some smart thinking.
::yes::

How the heck did I miss your final closing thoughts? I'll be back in a bit to comment.

made it through them all, even if it was completed before i commented.:)

favorite moment, was the suggestion of bars in the lines. now that is some smart thinking.
::yes::
It's amazing the things that BiL and I can come up with after we have a few drinks. They should just hire us as Imagineers... and provide free beverages around the World Showcase. I already love EPCOT, but it would become even more awesome!!! :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

How the heck did I miss your final closing thoughts? I'll be back in a bit to comment.
I don't know Kathy. Probably because you were a little precoccupied with your own trip? :confused3 :lmao:

And I can't say that I'd blame you. :thumbsup2

I just noticed you posted some souvies and a bonus Easter picture of the kids - Love the magnet and the kids are adorable in their Easter best.

Andy, a great recap.

I'm so sorry about the counter service food issue. It's terrible to get sick on vacation and especially when it could have been easily avoided.

I wish you could have experienced CSR without the Pop Warner people...you may have liked it just a bit had they not been there.

I thoroughly enjoyed following along and seeing your adorable children.

I'm sorry we never were able to hook up (the one day I was too sick to do it).

And I'm sorry you won't be going in 2013 and that we won't overlap again. Perhaps in 2014.

I just noticed you posted some souvies and a bonus Easter picture of the kids - Love the magnet and the kids are adorable in their Easter best.
Thanks!

I wish you could have experienced CSR without the Pop Warner people...you may have liked it just a bit had they not been there.
Truthfully, one room is about as good as the next as far as most of the resorts go so I can't really complain about that. I really did love the grounds of CSR though. Just wish we could have enjoyed the pool and some of the other stuff. I still don't think we'll be back anytime soon though. Too many other resorts we've never stayed at that we want to try (and DW swears she'll never go back to CSR anyway). :rotfl2:

And I'm sorry you won't be going in 2013 and that we won't overlap again. Perhaps in 2014.
I've got to wait to find out some dates of some conferences that I'll likely have to attend, but I'm thinking we'll be looking at either the week after Thanksgiving or the first week of December again. :thumbsup2

The problem is that I have another conference to attend in San Diego in Jan 2015. So the issue is do we do Disney World and Disneyland all within about a 1 1/2 month span or do we pass on Disney World and just take advantage of the fact that we will be able to take a family trip to Disneyland for significantly less than normal... :confused3 Even just having to pay for DS's plane ticket and a rental car (and the Disneyland tickets and hotel) I'm not sure we can swing both trips back to back, as much as I'd love to do it. The trip planning never ends. :thumbsup2

Hey Andy! I hope you don't mind that I am bringing this TR back from the dead:rotfl:...like 3 years later... I've been so stressed at school and the DIS always calms me down and cheers me up so I wanted to read a completed TR. I stumbled across this TR of yours. I hope you don't find that weird:rolleyes1
Anyways, just wanted to say I really enjoyed reading it! This trip looked like a lot of fun, it must have been nice to go with so many family members for such a special occasion.:goodvibes

Sorry again, and BTW I'm really enjoying your current TR as well!:thumbsup2

Thank you! I'm glad that you find my writing calming. I'll just assume that's a nice way of saying it puts you to sleep. :rolleyes1

This trip was really a lot of fun and we've got plans to go with this same group in the summer of 2017. It should be a lot of fun. BiL and I always seem to have a good time so I'm sure some drinks will be enjoyed and we might just have to re live the late night half drunk ride on Test Track.

I hope things are going ok for you at school and you can get past whatever is stressing you out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter